Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3277 3278 [3279] 3280 3281 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786949 times)

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49170 on: December 29, 2016, 09:33:19 pm »

Are you including sound?
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49171 on: December 29, 2016, 09:47:48 pm »

Are you including sound?

Wonder if they hiss, or do that shit those velociraptors did on jurasic park 3 with their sound organs or whatever.

Or if they can't really produce vocalizations, lacking vocal folds because their necks are too long to house them, like giraffes.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49172 on: December 29, 2016, 10:28:45 pm »

I won't elaborate further to not spread the nightmare.

Back to normal news, an Ettin tried to attack my fort.
She walked into a weapon trap filled hall and enjoyed 6-7 pages of low quality swords and cross bows chopping her up piece by piece.

Also, I did notice something very interesting. In the same fort, made in a small 30 year old world, I got a High Master Blacksmith who had two sons, but no wife, and the sons had no listed mother. They didn't even have each other listed as siblings.

Is this normal? 

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49173 on: December 29, 2016, 10:55:14 pm »

Judgement day of spring

Spring has arrived!
Medi Uquurketas, Human Scholar has been found dead.
Tegism Specutdidde, Human Mace Lord has been found dead.
Kina Allestren, Human Sage has been found dead.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49174 on: December 30, 2016, 03:12:30 am »

Meh, it'll work out. The first thing that sprung to mind for me wasn't about how a group of 4 hydras look, but reanimating leather industry. With 7 heads, there's so much more to slice off from a hydra.
Unfortunately, Hydras produce scales, not skin. I keep meaning to mod scaled creatures to have usable skin, or creating a way to convert scales to a usable material, but never get around to it. My Evil biome is rather boring, anyway. Barren mountainside (hill, really) with regular rains of syndromeless badgerman blood, no reanimation, no evil clouds, and no notable wildlife aside from a handful of Dark Gnomes several years ago. Also of note, the Hydra that gave birth earlier is actually only 17 years old, in a world that's now at year 109. My Megabeasts are reproducing in the wild, which is glorious. Hopefully I can acquire a breeding pair of Rocs or Dragons as well.

Also, I did notice something very interesting. In the same fort, made in a small 30 year old world, I got a High Master Blacksmith who had two sons, but no wife, and the sons had no listed mother. They didn't even have each other listed as siblings.

Is this normal?
I'd guess that's what happens when the entire family was created out of the ether by the will of Armok? I think I've run into the same thing in Legends before, though.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 03:20:20 am by YetAnotherLurker »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49175 on: December 30, 2016, 06:20:57 am »

Ah well, that sucks twice. Though I suppose the teenage mother of three would be happy that her children aren't converted into three dozen nature's violators.

Hydra skull totems? Eh, can't build them....

An army of hydras does seem the best option. Maybe once you retire they'll attack the surroundings. I don't know.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49176 on: December 30, 2016, 07:35:02 am »

Ah well, that sucks twice. Though I suppose the teenage mother of three would be happy that her children aren't converted into three dozen nature's violators.

Hydra skull totems? Eh, can't build them....

An army of hydras does seem the best option. Maybe once you retire they'll attack the surroundings. I don't know.

I once kept an hydra locked inside a cell with a raising bridge just so I could come as an adventurer and slay it. The first part worked great, the hydra was still in there, but some useless farmer kept stealling my kills. Don't build your cages on meeting areas.

Anyway, you could wall in your hydras behind bridges. Heck, you could put the levers to those bridges on a black box control room with a vampire inside, so if your fort falls, all you have to do is release the hydras! Maybe make the vampire an animal trainer and make him/her able to access the cages, just in case...
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49177 on: December 30, 2016, 01:20:51 pm »

A trooooll is mucking about in my tunnel that links the surface to the caverns. I'll now have an opportunity to test the exploit involving hatches. Namely, as it's busy smashing several doors, I'll be able to see whether or not this prevents it from pathing past the hatch before I can forbid it.

EDIT: This is all nothing but prepared meals, mussel shell crafts (FUCKTONS of them), and worn-out clothes. As valuable as prepared meals are, the crafts dwarf them value-wise.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 02:03:36 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49178 on: December 30, 2016, 02:17:12 pm »

Is this normal?
I'd guess that's what happens when the entire family was created out of the ether by the will of Armok? I think I've run into the same thing in Legends before, though.

But the weird thing is, the youngest son is only 2, we was born after my fort was already founded. It is weird, but there are 2 other kids with single parents, I just didn't think of it greatly because they were single mothers.

On another note, I got a 15 year old human dancer who showed up to my fort.
He has long hair and is very skinny. He has 6 other siblings and finds family loathsome. He is disgusted by merry makers, does not respect the law, and disregards tradition.  He is frequently depressed, he is pessimistic, rarely happy or enthusiastic, and hates crowds. 

I am pretty sure this kid is a moody teen who ran away from home and just needed a place to crash.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49179 on: December 30, 2016, 02:26:14 pm »

Uhoh. The troll was just a warmup.

The real hatch test begins.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49180 on: December 30, 2016, 04:29:12 pm »

Turns out, Hydras, like other animals that give live birth and are adult at birth, can multiply rather quickly. My initial pair gave birth to twins, and the female of the first set of triplets gave birth to triplets herself.

I'm starting to think I might have a bit of an obsession with catching and breeding exotic wildlife. My fort's current civilized population is 223 dwarves, 11 elves, 4 goblins, 3 humans, a gremlin, and a handful of Fortress Defense race mercenaries. Meanwhile, I apparently have 29 Blind Cave Bears, 17 Bugbats, 69 Cats, 32 Cave Crocodiles, 36 Voracious Cave Crawlers, 24 Giant Cave Toads, 17 Giant Olms, 29 Giant Cave Spiders, 44 Elk Birds, 32 Dralthas, and 10 Hydras. Also, 263 Crundles. Those, particularly, are a huge nuisance. At this point, my sole exports are ≡Crundle Roasts≡ and ☼Crundle Skull Totems☼, I have three Legendary Bonecarvers working full-time on ☼Crundle Bone Bolts☼, and the damned things are still wandering into my cage traps faster than I can manage to use up their products.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49181 on: December 30, 2016, 04:34:48 pm »

...it's the most dwarvenly catsplosion ever. You tamed the great beasts of the world too hard.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49182 on: December 30, 2016, 05:08:56 pm »

How could you run that without your computer catching fire?

But since you have all of those, I hear there is a fun place you can try to take on.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49183 on: December 30, 2016, 05:13:21 pm »

That would put the bone carvers even more behind ^^;;

The day DF will become coded magma is the day it becomes multithreaded, and no sooner :p

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49184 on: December 30, 2016, 07:41:09 pm »

Sell the crundles to the elves
Pages: 1 ... 3277 3278 [3279] 3280 3281 ... 3835