Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3281 3282 [3283] 3284 3285 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861592 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49230 on: January 08, 2017, 08:32:13 pm »

Some discussion a month or so ago speculated giving them individual, burrowed drinking rooms so that when they went to take a drink it'd transform them and take them out of sight; however the timing on that could be too tight.

@Reyn: Have you checked the prepared meals for poisoning?

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49231 on: January 09, 2017, 12:55:12 am »

Here is a trick I found when dealing with goblins and caravans. 2 ways in, the depot door and the meat grinder door. The traders go in the depot entrance, and when the goblins come, you lock the corresponding door to the depot. The goblins (or other guests) will go in the meat grinder way.

Ettins take a while to die with two heads, even when their paralyzed and collapsed on in a hall filled with around 60 high quality weapons. 
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49232 on: January 09, 2017, 02:41:10 pm »

Babies...  Lots and lots of babies.  Over half my fort are children.

Breeding my way to 80 dwarves... and then...  we will see what happens!

I have an open top fort, buildings are made out of wood and flammable stone, and there are rumors of a dragon on the loose...

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49233 on: January 09, 2017, 04:41:32 pm »

Some discussion a month or so ago speculated giving them individual, burrowed drinking rooms so that when they went to take a drink it'd transform them and take them out of sight; however the timing on that could be too tight.

(Facepalm)
Now some of my guys are opposed to life. GREAT
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #49234 on: January 09, 2017, 09:47:43 pm »

(Facepalm)

So basically thralls?

Why or how?

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49235 on: January 09, 2017, 09:48:36 pm »

(Facepalm)

So basically thralls?

Why or how?

I have no clue

Not in evil environment.

Dfhack curse checked

No necromancer.

Underground.

????
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49236 on: January 09, 2017, 11:27:51 pm »

The evil environment can spread from nearby areas, with coatings - Roomcarnage is fine example where the only source of thralling dust on the map came from visitors bringing it on-site.

And Archcrystal had a case of milita-dwarves picking up husking dust coated peaches(iirc), and eating them while hungry, thus releasing two husked warriors trained for decades into the heart of the fortress.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49237 on: January 10, 2017, 12:05:34 am »

The evil environment can spread from nearby areas, with coatings - Roomcarnage is fine example where the only source of thralling dust on the map came from visitors bringing it on-site.

And Archcrystal had a case of milita-dwarves picking up husking dust coated peaches(iirc), and eating them while hungry, thus releasing two husked warriors trained for decades into the heart of the fortress.
Oh that is evil. If there is an dust thrall biome nearby there may be a need for an entry-gate washing machine.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 01:31:52 am by anewaname »
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #49238 on: January 10, 2017, 09:23:29 am »

Was recording a video, saying how great it was that the brook had melted and everyone could drink from the beautiful brook, when I checked what they were doing after having their lovely drink:
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49239 on: January 10, 2017, 10:38:24 am »

Finally, my Fortress "Ironauras", founded by The Irons of Fur, from the civilization of The Pick of Kissing, has made soap.  Bless the Gods!    :D

On other hand, my windmills and waterwheels don't work, so I pulled them down and sold the millstones.

We had our first siege of goblins but due to the fact my barns were not finished yet, and had holes in their roofs, I did not wish to release the were-lizard.  I thought it could get into the Fortress via the holes.  Funny, the invaders never tried to do that.  So I sent out my squads.  Two civilians died and two soldiers but over ten plus goblins died.  And they gave me good loot.

Some of which went to the Goblin soldier and some I sold.  I had nothing to melt them down with so better to trade them for booze and seeds and cloth.

And somebody wrote a book.  And they are making copies. 

Wow, when you don't do a Let's Play/Story of a Fortress it does well.  If I was recording this I am sure everybody would be dead by now.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #49240 on: January 10, 2017, 10:41:04 am »

Wow, when you don't do a Let's Play/Story of a Fortress it does well.  If I was recording this I am sure everybody would be dead by now.
Success is overrated anyway.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49241 on: January 10, 2017, 01:00:33 pm »

Was recording a video, saying how great it was that the brook had melted and everyone could drink from the beautiful brook, when I checked what they were doing after having their lovely drink:

That's dwarf fortress for you.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49242 on: January 10, 2017, 10:25:45 pm »

The fort had its first dwarven baby after 50 years. The mother was already 100 years old. ::)
I didn't make rooms for them before. Just recently I began to make some cross shaped (5 tiles) rooms for everyone.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49243 on: January 11, 2017, 03:07:43 am »

The fort had its first dwarven baby after 50 years. The mother was already 100 years old. ::)
I didn't make rooms for them before. Just recently I began to make some cross shaped (5 tiles) rooms for everyone.

Dwarves don't really have a menopause, do they? In my fort I've had a lot of 150+ year old migrant couples and they're pushing out babies like there's no tomorrow... which, for them, might even be true.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49244 on: January 11, 2017, 05:42:29 am »

We had our first siege of goblins but due to the fact my barns were not finished yet, and had holes in their roofs, I did not wish to release the were-lizard.  I thought it could get into the Fortress via the holes.  Funny, the invaders never tried to do that.  So I sent out my squads.  Two civilians died and two soldiers but over ten plus goblins died.  And they gave me good loot.

Some of which went to the Goblin soldier and some I sold.  I had nothing to melt them down with so better to trade them for booze and seeds and cloth.

Wait, what? Why don't you just make the armour yourself? Goblins can use both armour and clothing sized for elves and dwarfs. You can even request the armour to be made in goblin size, if you want. When you order the job at the forge, just press (d)etails, like when specifying what a statue should be made of or should look like, and you will be able to specify the size.

If you wanna go one step further, check the armour the dwarven caravan guards have, see in which part of it the civ symbol is, and what it is. Just imagine, enemy goblins seeing one of their kind ripping them appart while proudly showing off your civ's symbol.

To decorate armour use a craftdwarf workshop. Just link it to the stockpile your armour's at (one trick is to make an armour stockpile set to take from links only, but with no set links. Set a dumping zone inside of it, and just dump and later reclaim what you want to decorate), then a stockpile with the material you want to decorate stuff with.

To be honest, I don't remember if decorating armour worked, but I've seen tons of armour decorated with civ symbols on adv. Mode, so it should work.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:44:07 am by SebasMarolo »
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.
Pages: 1 ... 3281 3282 [3283] 3284 3285 ... 3836