Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3282 3283 [3284] 3285 3286 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787182 times)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49245 on: January 11, 2017, 08:09:07 am »

We had our first siege of goblins but due to the fact my barns were not finished yet, and had holes in their roofs, I did not wish to release the were-lizard.  I thought it could get into the Fortress via the holes.  Funny, the invaders never tried to do that.  So I sent out my squads.  Two civilians died and two soldiers but over ten plus goblins died.  And they gave me good loot.

Some of which went to the Goblin soldier and some I sold.  I had nothing to melt them down with so better to trade them for booze and seeds and cloth.

Wait, what? Why don't you just make the armour yourself? Goblins can use both armour and clothing sized for elves and dwarfs. You can even request the armour to be made in goblin size, if you want. When you order the job at the forge, just press (d)etails, like when specifying what a statue should be made of or should look like, and you will be able to specify the size.

If you wanna go one step further, check the armour the dwarven caravan guards have, see in which part of it the civ symbol is, and what it is. Just imagine, enemy goblins seeing one of their kind ripping them appart while proudly showing off your civ's symbol.

To decorate armour use a craftdwarf workshop. Just link it to the stockpile your armour's at (one trick is to make an armour stockpile set to take from links only, but with no set links. Set a dumping zone inside of it, and just dump and later reclaim what you want to decorate), then a stockpile with the material you want to decorate stuff with.

To be honest, I don't remember if decorating armour worked, but I've seen tons of armour decorated with civ symbols on adv. Mode, so it should work.

Nah, you can't decorate player made armor yet.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49246 on: January 11, 2017, 10:24:01 am »

Not with gems, perhaps - but metal (and bone/etc. crafting, I suppose) is another story.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49247 on: January 11, 2017, 05:35:33 pm »

Wait, what? Why don't you just make the armour yourself? Goblins can use both armour and clothing sized for elves and dwarfs. You can even request the armour to be made in goblin size, if you want. When you order the job at the forge, just press (d)etails, like when specifying what a statue should be made of or should look like, and you will be able to specify the size.

If you wanna go one step further, check the armour the dwarven caravan guards have, see in which part of it the civ symbol is, and what it is. Just imagine, enemy goblins seeing one of their kind ripping them appart while proudly showing off your civ's symbol.

To decorate armour use a craftdwarf workshop. Just link it to the stockpile your armour's at (one trick is to make an armour stockpile set to take from links only, but with no set links. Set a dumping zone inside of it, and just dump and later reclaim what you want to decorate), then a stockpile with the material you want to decorate stuff with.

To be honest, I don't remember if decorating armour worked, but I've seen tons of armour decorated with civ symbols on adv. Mode, so it should work.

Oh, I can make all the different sized leather armour I want.  But I wanted her to have iron armour.  And I don't have a metal industry yet.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49248 on: January 11, 2017, 07:29:00 pm »

I had immense amounts of fun when a cyclops showed up while the merchants were visiting. He found a hole into the fort and I had to burrow everyone to the surface, hoping the traps would get him that way.

Then the were-bear showed up. 

This is the most I've had in a fort in ages.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #49249 on: January 11, 2017, 09:06:56 pm »

You can't just leave us hanging like that! Did they fight?

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49250 on: January 11, 2017, 10:49:41 pm »

No, the were-bear got mobbed by civilians and got beheaded by an off duty militia dwarf. While the cyclops got distracted by the glass furnace and a mother and child. After the were-bear was killed (mainly due to the honor of a miner and the soft flesh of a siege operator) I sent the military to take out the cyclops.

It was an epic battle of a dwarf who forgot to grab any weapons vrs a cyclops armed with a shoe.

It ended with the dwarf beating him a few times with a copper shield before knocking him out onto a bed by punching him in the face.

After that, she just hit him with the shield until the captain came by with a spear.

The merchants wouldn't trade after that, they said they were setting up still.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #49251 on: January 12, 2017, 12:07:47 am »

The merchants wouldn't trade after that, they said they were setting up still.

They probably saw/heard part/all of the carnage and are wondering how to turn a profit without pissing your fort's residents off at the same time :P

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49252 on: January 12, 2017, 01:24:41 am »

The merchants always ran aways several days after I finished the trade these years.
I wonder what scared them since my trade depot was underground.

Perhaps I need to move the refuse stockpile and try not to butcher things when they are there?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49253 on: January 12, 2017, 04:01:56 am »

Lolor Palacesavages, a Legendary Engraver and a family man, happened upon a Voracious Cave Crawler in the caverns and like a fool charged it barehanded. Luckily reinforcements arrived quite quickly but before they could help the Crawler had chomped Lolor's... geldables... right off.

This is the first time I've seen this to happen in my game, and after reading what a Voracious Cave Crawler looks like I'm even more horrified.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49254 on: January 12, 2017, 04:39:16 am »

The merchants always ran aways several days after I finished the trade these years.
I wonder what scared them since my trade depot was underground.

Perhaps I need to move the refuse stockpile and try not to butcher things when they are there?
Yes, merchants or their animals can be horrified by corpses and immediately scuttle or run away. Butchering also panics animals that see it, including merchant animals.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49255 on: January 12, 2017, 04:18:44 pm »

I made a joke squad and pitted them against an invasion for shits and giggles. They won with no casualties.

The thing is?

They were called "We are number one"...

and lead by robbie rotten.

Robbie McRotten has Created masterwork: Net, that He just found
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49256 on: January 12, 2017, 06:45:34 pm »

What?

Just What?

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49257 on: January 12, 2017, 08:52:33 pm »

What?

Just What?

THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T LET ME NAME THINGS.
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49258 on: January 12, 2017, 10:52:17 pm »

What?

Just What?

THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T LET ME NAME THINGS.

Fine! What ever you say, I won't let you name things. Just don't hurt me.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 09:42:47 pm by overseer05-15 »
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway
Pages: 1 ... 3282 3283 [3284] 3285 3286 ... 3835