Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3289 3290 [3291] 3292 3293 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859384 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49350 on: January 24, 2017, 05:53:22 pm »

A surprisingly feisty werekoala attacked, but my metalsmith punched all his teeth out in the first two actions so he could only scratch and not bite. Today is a good day.
How did you know he punched all of its teeth?
could only scratch and not bite

> well technically they could gum you, but the teeth complete the latching & sufficient bites.

Observation skills are lacking today in the forums, perhaps you all need to watch more combat demonstrations.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49351 on: January 24, 2017, 08:44:26 pm »

New fort, 7 tiles of mountain, 2 of marsh. No surface water, lots of nice cliffs.
Had some scares with drinks to begin with before brewing stabilized and the cavern well was setup but we're largely self sufficient now. We're feeding ourselves at least.
Now I can freely focus on building a mountainside city. I'm looking to have a tiered city.
Depot & guest houses -> tavern -> hall of industry & storage halls -> residential district -> temples (with catacombs beneath) -> library -> palace
Aim is to have everyone living on the surface with labor underground. Hoping we'll end up as the mountainhome eventually.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49352 on: January 24, 2017, 09:08:21 pm »

Had a marsh titan attack, damn he went down fast. Two crossbow bashes to the face and he was out. Hopefully the forgotten beasts are more challenging.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49353 on: January 25, 2017, 12:18:46 am »

Just had a dwarf solo a titan via falling off of a 3 level wall, taking no injuries, then crushing the titan's head w/ a steel warhammer. Wearing no armor except a ceremonial gold breastplate.

Most badass hammerer i ever did see.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49354 on: January 25, 2017, 04:58:24 am »

The horns sounded as the goblin army crested the hill to swarm down over the town of Tometower.
The residents and guests of the tavern locked and barred the doors just in time as the wave of evil crashed down upon them. One fool blundered into the frustrated invaders and his blood was promptly spilt all over the doors as he pleaded to be let in. Those inside could only cower and wait for it to end.
Meanwhile the rest of the population stampeded up the hill to take shelter in the bunker for the second time that year, only the brave dwarves of the militia headed the other way, charging down from their clifftop perch to assault the invaders below.
In twos and threes they split to charge down their enemies one by one, axes cleaving goblin flesh wherever they swung.
Alas brave Urist, freshly recruited after the savannah titan attack of mere months prior, paid for his inexperience in this, his first and last real battle. The rest of the force regrouped, for a final assault on the goblin archers positioned on the ridge above them. Courageously they charged into a storm of arrows, trusting in their shields and their brothers to defend them. And so it was, the goblin menace was overrun and routed, the day once again saved by these brave few beards to whom we all owe our lives many times over.

Seriously this one guy, despite a civilian alert and the doors to the tavern being locked decided to waltz on down for some socializing.  ::)
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49355 on: January 25, 2017, 05:55:24 am »

I'm currently working on a marble aboveground palace, to please queen Udib Paintedstrangers, ruler of the last dwarves in the world. So far, the noble fortress Helmdragons has survived for almost two years, its population now numbering in the sixties.

Two floors of the palace have already been constructed, with more marble blocks being chiseled continuously. The surplus of picks caused by queen Udib's mandates have been distributed amongst the migrants, who dig out more and more of the stone layers below.

Currently I'm mostly concerned with moving as many fortress facilities as possible into the newly created rooms and getting some strange moods to max out the queen's rooms' value (what do you mean a great dining room is 'horrible', you spoiled royal?). I'm also training some rhesus macaques and a raven that stumbled into cage traps, but those are of lesser importance.

By the way, one of my dwarves entered a fey mood and made an artifact copper goblet named 'Admiredgroove the Woman of Showering'. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but at least I have a legendary metalcrafter now.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49356 on: January 25, 2017, 06:21:48 am »

And then a fire breathing FB arrived and flew up the well.
Cue many many deaths among the civilian populace, most notable one of our honored founders a mere 3 years in.  :'(
It cost the lives of 7 of my 10 soldiers, including my best Axe Lord to kill the stupid thing.
And then I guess some schmoe managed to walk all the way back up to the surface while still on fire because then the surface burnt down, with the temple zone looking like the source of the conflagration.
I estimate our losses at 700-800 logs, 6 wooden doors, a horse, as well as countless saplings and fruiting bushes. We seem to have displeased Armok somehow.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49357 on: January 25, 2017, 08:19:04 am »

Quote from: Derro
and a raven
You got a necromancer/reanimating biome? I hear undead ravens make great guards.

My game giveaway

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49358 on: January 25, 2017, 08:36:19 am »

Mind you, Silentthunders zombies were DF2012 zombies, which are bit different from DF2016 ones. I have no idea if they're more or less dangerous now.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49359 on: January 25, 2017, 09:31:35 am »

Listen if you have 100+ zombie ravens I don't think it matters.

Unless they're husks. Those are worse.

My game giveaway

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49360 on: January 25, 2017, 09:36:47 am »

If your fort is dealing with that will most likely be, well?

Quote the raven husk, "Nevermore"
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49361 on: January 25, 2017, 09:50:46 am »

If your fort is dealing with that will most likely be, well?

Quote the raven husk, "Nevermore"

My sweet Lenore,
Bashing down my chamber door.
Her corpse rose from the grave;
Not as a ghost, which may've thrown a rave,
But as a husk, becoming eternal strife;
Coming now to end my life.

did i nail it

My game giveaway

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49362 on: January 25, 2017, 10:37:18 am »

Quote from: Derro
and a raven
You got a necromancer/reanimating biome? I hear undead ravens make great guards.

No reanimating biome, but there's two necromancer towers nearby and I've had necromancers 'visit' already (only to see three of them get chased away by a single cat). Capturing one is definitely a priority for the near future.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49363 on: January 25, 2017, 11:43:19 am »

Mind you, Silentthunders zombies were DF2012 zombies, which are bit different from DF2016 ones. I have no idea if they're more or less dangerous now.
zombies are weaker nowadays, but zombie ravens power comes from the fact that zombies are incredibly resistant to piercing weapons, and the only thing that can hit them is crossbows since they can fly, and crossbows are piercing.
so i would wager that zombie ravens are still OP
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49364 on: January 25, 2017, 12:19:23 pm »

zombies are weaker nowadays, but zombie ravens power comes from the fact that zombies are incredibly resistant to piercing weapons, and the only thing that can hit them is crossbows since they can fly, and crossbows are piercing.
so i would wager that zombie ravens are still OP

Weaker in some ways, stronger in other ways. Zombies in DF202 had that wonky "dies after a few hits because no pulping system" thing, but any corpse that still had a grasping part, mouth, etc could be raised pretty much indefinitely unless the corpse was destroyed.

In contrast, DF2016 zombies have intentionally poor combat skills (they're zeds, after all), and if a pulped bodypart is what puts them own, they're staying that way. But they're also going to stay standing until decapitated or gibbed, and being put down by losing a bodypart is just as non-permanent as it was against DF2012.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 3289 3290 [3291] 3292 3293 ... 3836