Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3306 3307 [3308] 3309 3310 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5856200 times)

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49605 on: February 20, 2017, 01:06:51 pm »

Gold. Lots of gold. I set the mineral amount to 'sparse', just so you know I'm not cheating or anything. My stockpiles are literally overflowing with gold bars, and I have gold goblets ranging in value from 300 to 1200 dwarfbucks each. I have so much gold, I can't build a drawbridge because it's in the way.

Wait a second...

I have a better idea...

I'm going to make my fortress out of gold! Or at least, the entrance/main floor.

I'm going for a different sort of fortress design, with three downward staircases and hallways of structures. At the entrance, there will be a large drawbridge, two guardhouses, and eventually, a trade depot. There will be a  4 wide staircase leading down into the fort, which I might later replace with a ramp. My engravers are smoothing the entire first floor. Straight ahead is the main stairway, which will lead to recreational rooms, the dining hall, more permanent offices, and when the time comes, the throne room. On the right is the workshop area, with an alternating pattern of workshop/stockpile/stockpile/workshop, which will all be linked up for maximum efficiency. On the left, there are the living quarters, each room is 3x4, and will include a cabinet, a chest, and a bed. They to will be smoothed. Each section contains a large, downward staircase, with finely crafted doors, in case the need to seal them off arises. I'm right next to a volcano, so the magma forges are operating at 100% efficiency to pump out gold.

Finally, it's all smelted.

"You have struck native gold!"

AAAAAAHHHHHHH
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49606 on: February 20, 2017, 02:43:12 pm »

Gold. Lots of gold. I set the mineral amount to 'sparse', just so you know I'm not cheating or anything.
Brief explanation on mineral scarcity, from what I've noticed: controls chance for a large cluster (max 1) to be present or a vein to be present or multiple veins to be present.

It doesn't control the layers present (controlled/randomized by volcanism) or whether any veins or clusters you have are ore ones.

This means you can have poor embark at 100 mineral scarcity (fully gneiss/quartzite/schist with orthoclase/mica clusters and cobaltite/sphalerite/cinnabar veins) and also a decent embark at 2500 mineral scarcity (half dozen zs of flux with magnetite cluster and bituminous coal veins + gold in igneous intrusive layers)

The first will have 3-6 veins per 48x48x1, while the second will have to be happy with just 0-2. However, as veins and clusters present on 1z will tend to be present on other zs on that layer as well it ends up working out more like "no iron, no iron, no iron, lots of iron" on normal-sized embarks when looking for embark with some.

That said, lower mineral scarcities mean some of those "no"s would become "lots of"s, as well as probably (though not necessarily) some more iron veins in the "lots of" one, so it's not like it's completely pointless setting if you're going to search for "shallow metals, deep metals" and only accept sites with iron anyway.

However, on the downside low mineral scarcities look relatively bad (non-uniform and colour chaos).

This is why you may specify mineral scarcity in parameters, but when describing the embark you describe what you actually have.
Which sounds like "goblinite-only iron" challenge for your current embark, good luck :)

HydraKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49607 on: February 20, 2017, 03:37:51 pm »

Had a Roc fly by, it came in like it was going to attack, flew to the other side of the map, and leave. Guess it was on it's way to attack some other settlement. I was looking forward to it too, had a whole line of cage traps waiting for it, it was going to be tied to my militia commander... Ohwell.

Bummer.  It's always nice to have hundreds of roc meat roasts, roc eye roasts, roc spleen roasts, roc kidney roasts, roc brain roasts etc., as well as enough roc soap to build a tower out of soap and a roc skull totem, roc bone bolts, etc. etc.

Ha, all you need for that is a drive to breed stronger and fatter dogs. You'll get SO much fat, meat, skulls, and bones.

Oh dear if we could tie genetics into husbandry, breeding dogs until you got a giant dog, breeding giant dogs into FUN!. The SCIENCE would be remarkable.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49608 on: February 20, 2017, 06:54:04 pm »

Helllllllllo Tometower! Are. You. Ready. To. RUMMMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLE?

In the red corner, we have Spus Okomegngun, everyone's favorite fire breathing skunk, reigning champion of the caverns for over 2 years!
And in the brown corner, newcomer Gith Xubkibmothi! This winged mud ball thinks his webs will give him the edge over the champ, is he right folks? Let's find out!

DING!
The two charge straight at each, no pussyfooting here folks! Right down to the smackdown. Spus' famous flames have claimed lives with ease in the past, but whats this? Gith is still going! He's webbing that skunk with all his might! Keeping him pinned and raining blows from all sides, Spus just can't break out quick enough! GASP! A counterattack! Gith is down ladies and gents! Spus remains undefeated lord of the caverns!

OOC: Damn. I was hoping to finally be rid of that damned skunk.

Capture a cave dragon and pit them against each other, the CD will rock his world.

Problem is they almost never appear. When they do for my sites I consider it a holy sign from Armok.  :D

In other news, just started a new fort... "Roofriddled"... Well, guess I'm making a dwarven town.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49609 on: February 20, 2017, 08:35:08 pm »

Just fought off a giantess. There was only one fatality on my end...

Yep. The giantess killed a wagon belonging to the (probably just leaving) caravan. Now they can't leave, and I'm not sure how to go from here.

EDIT: fixed image
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:40:20 pm by kahrkunne »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49610 on: February 20, 2017, 10:09:04 pm »

Yep. The giantess killed a wagon belonging to the (probably just leaving) caravan. Now they can't leave, and I'm not sure how to go from here.

Merchants can leave through the caverns if they can't get outside.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49611 on: February 20, 2017, 10:58:50 pm »

Well... Those giant gray langur's didn't have a fun visit to my fortress.

They came onto the map near the end of the first summer, made a beeline for my fortress like usual. Being giant gray langurs, I thought my fortress was doomed... My dwarves would hear none of that. They were all getting drinks at the moment, when the langurs grabbed the barrels of beer- their biggest mistake ever. Two of the dwarves went into a rage after a few moments of punching, the wood cutter sliced a head off, the miners all were busy lopping off fingers and feet. The dogs swarmed one and brought it down, the only casualty being a tail. A mug was used against one of my dwarves, breaking his arm, and in turn he shoved his pick through the langurs brain. They started to flee, but the hunter picked off the last two with just four bolts.

I have never seen civilians massacre anything so brutally, there's limbs and teeth and fingers everywhere. Guess you shouldn't touch their beer.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49612 on: February 20, 2017, 11:29:13 pm »

They came onto the map near the end of the first summer, made a beeline for my fortress like usual. Being giant gray langurs, I thought my fortress was doomed... My dwarves would hear none of that. They were all getting drinks at the moment, when the langurs grabbed the barrels of beer- their biggest mistake ever. Two of the dwarves went into a rage after a few moments of punching, the wood cutter sliced a head off, the miners all were busy lopping off fingers and feet. The dogs swarmed one and brought it down, the only casualty being a tail. A mug was used against one of my dwarves, breaking his arm, and in turn he shoved his pick through the langurs brain. They started to flee, but the hunter picked off the last two with just four bolts.

I have never seen civilians massacre anything so brutally, there's limbs and teeth and fingers everywhere. Guess you shouldn't touch their beer.

Trying to steal alcohol from dwarves is similar to getting between a mother bear and her cubs.

The difference is that the mother bear is safer to mess with.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49613 on: February 20, 2017, 11:37:03 pm »

Trying to steal alcohol from dwarves is similar to getting between a mother bear and her cubs.

The thing I find funniest is this hunter sucks, he just used 25 bolts on a single bird and missed every one, but against the Langurs from long distance he got them in the leg then the head with perfect aim.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49614 on: February 21, 2017, 01:11:31 am »

The thing I find funniest is this hunter sucks, he just used 25 bolts on a single bird and missed every one, but against the Langurs from long distance he got them in the leg then the head with perfect aim.

A Giant langurs' leg is much larger than a bird.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49615 on: February 21, 2017, 03:40:00 am »

A vile force of darkne-nevermind, they're dead. Poor sods walked into a pack of giant rhinos, got ripped apart.

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49616 on: February 21, 2017, 08:07:35 am »

Merchants can leave through the caverns if they can't get outside.

They are outside (they're still on my trade depot), they just refuse to leave for some reason.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49617 on: February 21, 2017, 08:47:13 am »

Evil dwarves have returned to 'siege' us again. This time one of them actually forgot he was supposed to be part of a hello-goodbye siege and focussed on shooting a raven instead. Hung out for just long enough to get his head smashed in by the militia.

Didn't get their leader who turned up last year with a zombie siege. He ran right away. Sure he'll be back though. Legends says he's a member of the local tower despite not being dead or a necromancer. Presumably the others are too.

Hope this doesn't cause a mass loyalty cascade...

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49618 on: February 21, 2017, 03:48:36 pm »

Goblin christmas arrived, which was gloriously dealt with my steel-clad army of silver hammers and crossbows. The mood of the celebration was ruined by elvesgift givers, who thought our cutting down a single tree to build two beds and end the endless cancellation spam was a crime against all arbority, as they "warned" us.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49619 on: February 21, 2017, 07:37:31 pm »

Unexpectedly functional trick: if you want to automine a lot of veins out near a wall you don't want you dwarves to breach, use markers on ore/gem only along the whole wall first, and then set the nearby vines to automine--when they automine a tile next to the markers it won't be designated.
Pages: 1 ... 3306 3307 [3308] 3309 3310 ... 3836