Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3312 3313 [3314] 3315 3316 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5839768 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49695 on: March 06, 2017, 06:48:15 pm »

Getting off to a good start in the new world... until the werebull came.  Now my hunter is sealed in the walls of the fort, making a plaintive mooing noise.  My militia is training and has received strict instructions for what to do if they sense bullshit.  :D
I spilt my tea on this one.  Somebody needs to draw this, please.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49696 on: March 06, 2017, 07:54:03 pm »

Also, suddenly, in the course of about a minute, a bunch of animals all just dropped dead.  I checked the remaining animals for thirst, hunger, etc. and don't see anything.  Wtf?
Were the dead animals grazing animals? Grazing animals (horses, bulls, sheep, llamas, etc.) need to be pastured on top of grass or fungus. Animals that have been adopted as pets don't need to be pastured (their owner feeds them).

Some of them were unpastured pets, some of them were pastured, but outside the pasture (maybe they hadn't been put there yet).  But they all died practically simultaneously, so maybe they're out of edible plants or something.

Just to make sure I'm checking it right, where does animal hunger/thirst show up in the Health menu?  I thought it was a red H or a T.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #49697 on: March 07, 2017, 09:14:41 am »

Well things have been going well, at this point the temple is nearing the point where it will be 3/5 dug out. Unfortunately a bit of cavern collapsed when I removed some built flooring I had to make for reasons earlier, and what happens? the dwarf falls and his hands are broken, then the pick that he dropped hit his leg and CUT IT OFF. this is a very nasty accident, also due to the injuries of this dwarf he is no longer able to hold a pick, as such I am down a legendary miner. It was inevitable.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49698 on: March 07, 2017, 01:31:50 pm »

Was just running 43.05 x32.   A nice 80ish pop, with plenty of food and drinks.  We're in year 3.

Constructed tavern on the surface with 5x6 dance floor, 4 sets of tables and chairs, 6 beds undesignated as dorm; and 8 beds undesignated as rooms--only 2 assigned to admin, and capt of the guard. 

No other bedrooms.  No fancy dinning room.  Majority is Miner, everyone can mason, carpenter, mechanic, forge worker, and engraver. 

Started with 2 axe dwarf squads, and adding xbow squad. 

The last 2 influx of migrants, got our pop near 80.  I created a few mixed weapons squads and train in the same 9x9 barracks.   

The sparring axe dwarf dodge and crashed onto the new sword recruit.  Not a tantrum spiral, but a loyalty cascade began and dwindle the pop to 60ish.

Digging my project "IronAnvi" inspired by the WoW IronForge city, the digging and smoothing of walls needed is postponed to make coffins and slabs and dig my 2nd area for tombs. 

The dig plan for IronAnvil started with digcircle 111 in diameter. 
Then I worked on layer by later.  Dig here, channel there, then smooth the walls.   
I also planned to have towers around with natural stone walls that are smoothed so no climbing. 

So a z137, z136, z136 are the cavern portion to give it some height inside. 
z134 would be the surface of sorts for this city. 
z133, z132, z131 would be magma channels.

This 7z worth of digging and smoothing are done. 

The next portion is to figure out where to place the workshops and bedrooms for the population. 

We've had 2 necro sieges, and a goblin siege, and plenty of kobolds sneaking about with some rare Goblin Thieves trying to ambush and kidnap kids. 

We're at war with the elves is the neighbor screen during embark, but not have seen any elves yet. 

The next dig plan is dig (and maybe smooth the pump stack pillar). 

We have yet to breach any cavern, but I will settle for constructed walls and floors to seal the pump stack pillar.

Perhaps we should look for magma, and make temporary forges and glass furnace near the surface. 
But as tempting as making green glass pump stacks, I am leaning towards going pure iron pumpstack: iron corkscrew, iron blocks, iron mechanisms.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49699 on: March 07, 2017, 01:46:14 pm »

I have captured a necromancer. He shall be instrumental in my doomsday mega-machine.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49700 on: March 08, 2017, 12:06:38 pm »

Ding-dong, the Mayor's dead. Fucking eel, that one. Dropped him once more into the sacrificial chamber, but the devil managed to dodge not one, not two, but ten steel spears! Luckily I came prepared this time and repeatedly jammed those spears into the fucker.

Ah... no more millstones. Now I can look forward to slabs instead.

In other news, dwarves came and I bought a ton of leather. Like, over a thousand of them. We're overflowing with leather so much I've expanded the leather stockpile, added a temporary leather stockpile in the corridor, added two more leatherworks and we still have bins in the depot. Gonna be a lot of clothes out of this.

Furthermore, the Piledriver has completed a successful dry-run of all six minecarts in the system simultaneously. Took forever to configure the setups and stops. Turns out dropping minecarts from a hatch via the pull of a lever is simply not enough if there's not enough distance between each of them and bumper minecarts, while hilarious in theory, does not fulfill the requirements. Instead, only the first hatch is linked to lever, the others are linked to their own trigger plates, each of which lie as near as possible to the drop point of the previous minecart.

I could probably fit one or more minecarts but I rather not deal with the construction. Did I mention the Piledriver's powerless?

Now I just need some live targets to test it on.

Other than that, I have a megaproject planned. In hush-hush planning phase right now.

P.S. human consorts are the worst. THEY'RE SO SLOW! We got fucking "le tired" over here.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49701 on: March 08, 2017, 03:30:19 pm »

Well, now that I've finally finished obsidian-ing off the caldera so construction can commence on the sub-caldera passage and magma pipes, I've realized that I might actually be better off, um, not doing it this way. Considering channeling out the top five or so levels of the citadel that have already been cast and redesigning them, and then just working with a (easier to manage) artificial caldera so I can use the whole space of the original one for maintenance access.

Also, finally got the queen to marry my other axelord (she's an axe, uh, lady). No one is really friends in the fort because I only have twenty five or so dwarves, so everyone is always working instead of socializing. But enforced flirting appears to have worked wonders.

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49702 on: March 08, 2017, 04:50:29 pm »

Also, suddenly, in the course of about a minute, a bunch of animals all just dropped dead.  I checked the remaining animals for thirst, hunger, etc. and don't see anything.  Wtf?
Were the dead animals grazing animals? Grazing animals (horses, bulls, sheep, llamas, etc.) need to be pastured on top of grass or fungus. Animals that have been adopted as pets don't need to be pastured (their owner feeds them).

Some of them were unpastured pets, some of them were pastured, but outside the pasture (maybe they hadn't been put there yet).  But they all died practically simultaneously, so maybe they're out of edible plants or something.

Just to make sure I'm checking it right, where does animal hunger/thirst show up in the Health menu?  I thought it was a red H or a T.

Another possibility is that they all died of old age. Long-lived fortress can and will outlast many generations of animals. Hunger and thirst appear as "H~" and "T~" on the 4th block of the health screen (check the key number). Dehydrated and starving appear as "H!" and "T!"

The combination well/bath/marksdwarf defense tower is complete. I had intended for the cistern to remain unattached to anything and fill it by the slow expedience of buckets, but the grimy little bastards are using up water at an alarming rate, so I'm adding a filling system. The cistern water level is just about low enough for me to connect it to the filling system, so that should be done soon.

An ettin arrived. Sent my axedorf squad at it, with a gratifying amount of success. No casualties, and surprisingly, no puree of limbs to clean up either. Just some errant teeth. I'm actually starting to regret it now... I already have a bronze colossus, a giant, and a cyclops in my stockpile, I should have taken the opportunity to add the ettin. Oh well, maybe next time.

Speaking of cages, I need to do something with the score of kea animalmen I've got sitting in my pile. They keep invading my fortress and getting caught up in my cage traps. I tried pitting them for marksdwarf practice, but all that resulted in was a particularly fragile dwarf becoming drawn and haggard from all the death. I suppose I could use them as dummies for another melee squad, perhaps with spears. Improve my megabeast killing ability.

Sunlit-yet-underground gardens have been established, and rope reed mashing/processing proceeds apace. I expect to have a stock of writing material by the end of the year. More importantly perhaps, I need to get my clothing industry off the ground. Everyone's walking around in tatters and most of the babies don't even have pants. Once I get a good stock of bags for dye going, I expect to sort that out reasonably quickly. Assuming I can get my blasted dwarves to stop stuffing them with seeds.
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49703 on: March 08, 2017, 05:33:32 pm »

I am playing a game of dwarven minesweeper, where I carefully try to dig around the HFS and get as much adamantine as possible.

It's just as hard as it sounds.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49704 on: March 08, 2017, 07:31:58 pm »

I am playing a game of dwarven minesweeper, where I carefully try to dig around the HFS and get as much adamantine as possible.

It's just as hard as it sounds.

The trick is to not bother looking for the empty patches and make the whole board explode it works with dwarves too

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49705 on: March 08, 2017, 07:35:06 pm »

The trick is to not bother looking for the empty patches and make the whole board explode it works with dwarves too

Save scumming helps too   ;D

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49706 on: March 08, 2017, 09:24:22 pm »

Another possibility is that they all died of old age. Long-lived fortress can and will outlast many generations of animals. Hunger and thirst appear as "H~" and "T~" on the 4th block of the health screen (check the key number). Dehydrated and starving appear as "H!" and "T!"

I asked in another thread, and one of the suggestions was a syndrome/weather effect.  On closer examination, all the dead animals and some still living had forgotten beast extract on their hooves.  The living ones that had that died soon thereafter.  Apparently, it was from a forgotten beast with "deadly spittle."  I hadn't thought about it because it didn't affect any dwarves.  Apparently it didn't end up anywhere but on the floor, and since they were all wearing shoes, it went unnoticed.  The animals didn't wear shoes.  So they all died if they went through it.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49707 on: March 09, 2017, 05:46:11 pm »

I asked in another thread, and one of the suggestions was a syndrome/weather effect.  On closer examination, all the dead animals and some still living had forgotten beast extract on their hooves.  The living ones that had that died soon thereafter.  Apparently, it was from a forgotten beast with "deadly spittle."  I hadn't thought about it because it didn't affect any dwarves.  Apparently it didn't end up anywhere but on the floor, and since they were all wearing shoes, it went unnoticed.  The animals didn't wear shoes.  So they all died if they went through it.
Was it a fast acting syndrome? Good vs Kobolds if it is. Or if you can somehow contaminate a water supply and dump it on goblins.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49708 on: March 10, 2017, 12:26:24 am »

Was it a fast acting syndrome? Good vs Kobolds if it is. Or if you can somehow contaminate a water supply and dump it on goblins.

I'm not sure, since by the time all the deaths happened, I had no idea where or when they had been originally exposed to it.  The FB (a flying hairy leech) was an easy kill and a couple months before the deaths started.  The fight was on a long, narrow staircase other monsters used to path into the fortress proper, so either the dwarves or the other monsters tracked it in (or both did).

New event:  a single giant bat became the single deadliest monster in the fort's history and got a name.  It killed my champion, a guy entirely armored in steel, with a steel battle axe and an artifact shield.  Along with half a dozen other guys.  I finally became exasperated enough to put every single dwarf into archery squads and sent the whole fort to kill it. 

Despite (or maybe because of) my insanely reckless aggression against everything that shows hostility, migrants have just lifted my population above 80, I've been elevated to a duchy, and now I'm entitled to titan attacks that might actually destroy my fort.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49709 on: March 12, 2017, 11:26:21 pm »

I finally got a proper mega-beast after 10 years. A female hydra showed up, and I wanted to see if I could catch it alive. She just kinda climbed ontop of my poorly made wood walls when chasing a few bards. The valued bookkeeper escaped by jumping, but the hydra didn't follow. I tried to get her to path through one of my cage traps, but she found an old drain pipe instead.

I figured a mechanic might have a chance to build a trap while human bards distracted her with nice soft flesh. When she ran out of nice tasty bards, I fired out my presumed cannon fodder.

Turns out they were too good, and killed that poor harmless hydra. I hope those military bards enjoy their raw mussel roasts and their gold goblets of sake.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"
Pages: 1 ... 3312 3313 [3314] 3315 3316 ... 3836