Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3326 3327 [3328] 3329 3330 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5842189 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49905 on: April 15, 2017, 12:17:26 am »

A gorlak crossbowman is visiting, and he's petitioning for residency as a mercenary.

What do you think? Is he insane?

Gorlaks are good fighters. Really they are, especially with range weapons : if they are getting closed in, they can bite like bear traps. Insanely brave for creatures of that size
They are definitely my favourite race right now

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49906 on: April 15, 2017, 07:02:04 am »

Not one, not two, but three dwarves just inherited Baron position of some fort halfway across the world. One of them was a promising soldier.

It is a shame to have to dispose of such a valuable person, but he was already making toy boat mandates. We can't have that.

So I put them all in a squad and sent them to explore the caverns. I found two passages, and I sent the squad down one of them when I finished exploring the first cavern layer. Two of them went away to "eat" shortly after I issued the command to move to the passage. Fucking pussies.

Anyway, the other one who actually went in there found an alarming amount of crundle blood lacking any corpses, so that was interesting. When he arrived in the second cavern, he met two blind cave ogres, which made short work of the first Baron.

Kill count: 1

After the other two dwarves finished eating, I sent them down again, but by the time they got there the ogres were gone. I sent them to explore the remaining cave layer. No monsters or cave features encountered, but I did take the time to explore it thoroughly and also sent them up the other passage, back to the first cave layer. I noticed two Gorlaks, and I thought they might just deal with one of the dwarves, but not two of them. So I stationed one baron in the passage, and sent another one after the Gorlaks. One of the Gorlaks was killed, and after a lengthy fight the second baron was killed.

Kill count: 2

At this point I had little things to fight or explore in the cave, and I decided to pit the remaining baron against a troll I had caught in a cave trap earlier. However, when I stationed the baron in front of the fort enterance and lowered the drawbridge, I didn't realize that he was standing in front of the bridge in such a way that he was about to be annihilated.

Kill count: 3

So that's how I accidentally atom smashed a baron.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49907 on: April 15, 2017, 11:37:40 am »

So I finally managed to cast obsidian around the bitchy little green glass blinding dust beast that wandered into my cavern, question: is it ever going to be safe to remove the obsidian, or would doing so immediately reveal the beast still trapped inside?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49908 on: April 15, 2017, 11:51:26 am »

So I finally managed to cast obsidian around the bitchy little green glass blinding dust beast that wandered into my cavern, question: is it ever going to be safe to remove the obsidian, or would doing so immediately reveal the beast still trapped inside?

I don't think it works like that. Creatures frozen in ice don't come back to life when unfrozen, so logically we can assume the same works for forgotten beasts.

Having said that, have a cave in trap ready to collapse on the head of this thing if I am wrong.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49909 on: April 15, 2017, 01:30:18 pm »

Congratulations, MehMuffin! You have successfully accessed the superdwarvenly mechanics of obsidianifyification of your enemies. They can never be found again. (I think).

As in, permanently gone, dead, done.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49910 on: April 15, 2017, 01:43:26 pm »

MehMuffin's choice of words makes me think the beast may be just trapped behind an obsidian wall, not actually in the obsidian.

Is the beast listed in the units screen?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:45:33 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #49911 on: April 15, 2017, 04:54:09 pm »

I found a lovely little spot, water trees, flux, and a mountain almost literally made of iron ore (magnetite). I had dug out and begun furnishing for 220 dwarves, had a standing military of 50, was fortified and could turtle up, and had even built archery bunkers outside, with a secure passage to the inner keep.

One vile force of darkness, a lever not pulled, and 186 dead dwarves later and it was over.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49912 on: April 15, 2017, 05:14:40 pm »

Two Forgotten Beasts, a fire-spewing chameleon humanoid and an eyeless pigeon with insta-rot dust, proved too dangerous for militia tactics and were healing too fast to have any hope of sniping them with marksdwarves. I had to resort to good old Dwarven engineering and managed to trap them both in neat pieces of winding corridors. Now I'm thinking up ways to make them useful for fortress defence.

Meanwhile, back at the surface, a miner had an altercation with a Giant Badger Boar. He survived, barely, coming in looking like he had passed through a wood chipper. Luckily Swordheart Central Hospital's medical personnel knew their jobs and managed to patch him right up, using no less than four pieces of thread and nine bandages. He ended up looking like something from old mummy movies but he's back to work, with a story and some very impressive scarring.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49913 on: April 15, 2017, 06:56:18 pm »

Pulled the wrong lever, sent a wagon and all it's goods flying around the map off the main drawbridge... Meant to be opening the one to the caverns, should really move the fourteen levers to by the doors they open...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49914 on: April 15, 2017, 10:02:42 pm »

Pulled the wrong lever, sent a wagon and all it's goods flying around the map off the main drawbridge... Meant to be opening the one to the caverns, should really move the fourteen levers to by the doors they open...

I like to use N to label each lever, so if I cannot remember I can just read the label.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49915 on: April 15, 2017, 11:55:40 pm »

A human siege has arrived! And they brought bears and dogs, couple are riding on horses... Buuuut... They're not doing anything. There's multiple paths to my awkwardly (for me at least) open fortress, they're just sitting on the edges of the screen, attacking animals as they come in... Are they trying to wait me out like a real siege? If they are they're woefully mistaken, I've got three warehouses stocked with food and three underground and one above ground farm, as well as water from the caverns. I'll never die of starvation, just FPS death with 90+ invaders camping out...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49916 on: April 16, 2017, 01:12:56 am »

I don't think it works like that. Creatures frozen in ice don't come back to life when unfrozen, so logically we can assume the same works for forgotten beasts.
I had wild boars corpses roaming the ocean floor until winter. Then they froze and lost their undeadiness. Then they got up as wild boar skeletons and proceeded to roam around again. Not the same thing but amusing enough.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49917 on: April 16, 2017, 01:32:03 am »

My dwarves are heroically stupid.

A blind cave ogre is about to stray into one of my cage traps when my unarmed web collector confronts it. The two of them immediately start brawling, and...

The web collector comes out completely unharmed, while the blind cave ogre is practically smashed apart.

I love DF so much
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49918 on: April 16, 2017, 07:23:34 am »

I like to use N to label each lever, so if I cannot remember I can just read the label.
This is a very important tip, because pulling the wrong lever can potentially cause immediate doom for you rather than the goblins.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49919 on: April 16, 2017, 10:45:52 am »

Cavern bridge
Other cavern bridge
Cavern door (that is actually a bridge)
Trap out (now was the the part facing toward the surface or the fortress?)
North cavern block (that's south of the other three cavern doors above)
South cavern block (that's in cavern 3 whereas everything else is in cavern 1)

Using N is a great idea. Just make sure to actually label things half-decently...
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.
Pages: 1 ... 3326 3327 [3328] 3329 3330 ... 3836