Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3327 3328 [3329] 3330 3331 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787971 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49920 on: April 16, 2017, 01:07:45 pm »

"North Bridge"

builds three more bridges and 8 more levers, all related to North somehow. At the first siege in years.... "Crap, where does it go?!?!??!??!?!"
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #49921 on: April 16, 2017, 02:31:10 pm »

"North Bridge"

builds three more bridges and 8 more levers, all related to North somehow. At the first siege in years.... "Crap, where does it go?!?!??!??!?!"

Link all northern bridges to one lever. Have fun. (I did do this, using two levers for 6 bridges each. They're barriers for marksdwarf bunkers though, so a levelr to each bridge makes little sense.

Halldistance now has a floating island. Yes, cave ins are turned on.

Settings, as you can see, cave ins are on.

Top of the island. The goal was to drop this block to my lowest fortress level, creating a secure wood/gathering area. You can see there's a clear gap between the area around it and the island itself.

Directly below, and 1 tile wider on each side. I'm going to channel an additional tile, and I've already tried reloading, so that's not working either. 

*EDIT*

Nope, didn't work. There is nothing holding that center mass of soil at all.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 02:41:59 pm by azrael4h »

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49922 on: April 16, 2017, 02:40:41 pm »

Theory: Trees on the island are touching trees outside of the island, and therefore preventing a cavein.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #49923 on: April 16, 2017, 02:45:49 pm »

Theory: Trees on the island are touching trees outside of the island, and therefore preventing a cavein.

Could be. I didn't even think of that. I guess I'll see.

*EDIT* Game just locked up after I closed an airlock on my eastern gate. So it may have just realized 'oops, this is supposed to fall!' Hopefully no one was near it, since I had them gathering spent bolts.

*EDIT 2* Had to reload, but didn't lose much other than a closed gate and a couple designations. However, you were right. I trimmed trees around the edges until it sucked half my fort into the void. Success!

*Edit 3* My airlock is what is causing the lockup. I guess it's something to do with the bait animal tied up in the eastern entrance.

*Edit 4* I have trees growing in the floor built over the hole I created. Most of it is iron, as I have a slight abundance of it (after arming and armoring 90+ dwarves, plus a bunch of bins and other items out of iron, and using around 600 iron bars for this floor, I still have around 800 or so bars, plus magnetite still to smelt. And I just found tetrahedrite as well). I tried to build bridges, but I kept having random collapses until the floor was built, and they knocked down several bridges repeatedly. Got tired of rebuilding them.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 05:44:07 pm by azrael4h »

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49924 on: April 17, 2017, 11:12:01 pm »

It took about a season, but my heroic militia has finally eliminated a scourge: filthy humans infiltrating my tavern and library. After over a hundred human deaths (they just keep coming to visit!) the fortress is currently awash in miasma while the overworked haulers add these latest bodies to the hundreds they still have to haul out of the abattoir that is the second cavern layer after the years-long rampage of Cona the forgotten beast.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49925 on: April 17, 2017, 11:36:54 pm »

I'll just leave this here...

I didn't know they could break down even closed bridges, as the dragon destroyed three of the ones from my failed marksdwarf bunker flanking the north gate. They remain closed now, since I only lost 5 dwarves to their use, and only two elves died due to being crushed under the bridges.

At any rate, I ordered a full mobilization of the army, some 70 dwarves strong. Lost around 16 dwarves, including a few civilians who were cleaning up outside after a siege. Unfortunately, the mayor who keeps ordering green glass furniture (and getting reelected every time I replace him) wasn't among the dead.

That's a burning horned melon sitting in the middle of the fort, where there used to be a road.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49926 on: April 18, 2017, 12:56:21 am »

Dragons shouldn't be able to break down closed bridges. NOTHING is able to break down closed bridges. You probably just forgot to close them.  :)

At least waging a massive war with a dragon that resulted in many deaths is more glorious than walling yourself in and waiting the dragon out.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49927 on: April 18, 2017, 01:28:31 am »

You can see the remaining bridges in the northern part, by the bunkers? They're closed. All of the bridges blocking those bunkers were closed and stayed closed when not in use, and were linked to a single lever (matching bunkers on the east are built the same way). It would be impossible to have three open and three closed, since they were all linked to the same lever. Each side with fortifications carved into it had a bridge built in front of it. Again, they were closed, and were destroyed by dragonfire, along with the main gate (which was open) and the roads leading into the fort proper.

I also learned that horned melons burn forever. After nearly a year, it's still burning. I just channeled the ground out under it, and built a floor over it, along with the dragon no one bothered to move to the corpse stockpile. 

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49928 on: April 18, 2017, 01:43:53 am »

To wit, from the wiki:
Care should be taken when choosing materials for bridges that will be exposed to fire or magma. Bridges built with non-magma-safe materials will heat up and eventually melt if the center tiles get covered in magma or exposed to fire, whether the bridge is raised, lowered, or even retracted. The ability of a bridge to withstand heat is limited by the least fire-resistant item involved - a single not-magmaproof building block or mechanism will cause the whole bridge to deconstruct when exposed to sufficient heat. Dragonfire almost immediately melts nearly all bridges...

In other words, if the center of the bridge is exposed at all (that is, the bridge has a dimension greater than 1 tile in both length and breadth), it's vulnerable to a handful of things that threaten that tile.  Dragonfire happens to be one such significant threat.  I can't recall if one-tile bridges are completely invulnerable at this time, though; I know they're unaffected by magma as I've used them for lock structures, and I'm fairly sure that dragonfire is the same case as it only affects buildings on the same tile.  Hence, closed doors and one-tile raised bridges would be unaffected by both magma and dragonfire, while open doors and lowered bridges are affected and all sorts of doors must also contend with the dragon's "building destroyer" status.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:49:39 am by Culise »

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49929 on: April 18, 2017, 08:16:29 am »

That was my theory when it happened as well. Dragonfire also destroyed the roads, which normally are ignored by building destroyers. I've had enough trolls wandering around to prove that. I'm not even certain I have any materials that would hold up, maybe if I built the bridge out of steel and used steel mechanisms? Since it's an edge case, I'm not certain I'll bother.

I had civilian dwarves outside doing cleanup when the dragon appeared, and one or two ran into the gateway and were breathed on. That's when the bridges were destroyed. She also destroyed one of my airlock bridges which was up, as I found out shortly after when I had a siege and my military marched through the east gate instead of the open north gate.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49930 on: April 18, 2017, 10:51:26 am »

5/12 artifacts have been grates, so far. This calls for a really fucking pretty magma landmine and fountain set, I think.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49931 on: April 18, 2017, 02:42:33 pm »

Two separate werepanda attacks with 15 dead. One imprisoned werepanda infectee slew another werepanda infectee and was later slain by the victim's Werepanda ghost. A second walled off werepanda infected now engraves his home.  The site of the werepanda ghost murder was made into a temple of the chaos god.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49932 on: April 18, 2017, 06:23:41 pm »

... and was later slain by the victim's Werepanda ghost.
This gave me a chuckle.  I request pictures.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49933 on: April 18, 2017, 06:31:45 pm »

I just had the winter siege come in, take one look at the killing fields where the last six were hacked apart, and noped right out of there before I even got a single dwarf ordered in. I guess the sight of several hundred elves, humans, dwarves, and goblins combined blood, mixed with beak dogs and more than a few skeletons that never got moved into the corpse caves, kind of put them off.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49934 on: April 18, 2017, 08:13:25 pm »

Two separate werepanda attacks with 15 dead. One imprisoned werepanda infectee slew another werepanda infectee and was later slain by the victim's Werepanda ghost. A second walled off werepanda infected now engraves his home.  The site of the werepanda ghost murder was made into a temple of the chaos god.

Everything about this story is wonderful.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.
Pages: 1 ... 3327 3328 [3329] 3330 3331 ... 3835