Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3328 3329 [3330] 3331 3332 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787740 times)

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49935 on: April 18, 2017, 08:17:38 pm »

I'm running a human fort with no nobles/administrators. This means no military, no bookkeeper, no justice system.
Look:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(not sure if i need a monarch to appoint a duke/count/whoever to own my town to appoint leaders but w/e.)
This means that for now, my town is defenseless, and I don't know how much stuff i'm exporting.
Our main export is going to be platinum crafts, but my long term goal is to build the worlds biggest library.
However the construction of that has been suspended indefinitely pending the construction of my housing area.
BTW all of my humans live in above ground wooden structures.
And I haven't made bedrooms until 1 year of (ingame) living.
But then!?:
I'm thinking, "Human fort is doomed, we have no military and can't make one."
But then:
So it turns out the child was friendly.
Also I built a dam on my river, with the markings there as plans for the saferoom:

So that's the goings on of my HUMAN fort. Heresy I know.(also i checked raws, and it appears that ELVES ACTUALLY HAVE ADMINISTRATORS, WHICH MEANS PLAYING THEM IS EASIER THAN HUMANS, we must bug toady)
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #49936 on: April 18, 2017, 10:35:02 pm »

INB4 The child turns out to be a bloodthirsty werecreature...

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49937 on: April 19, 2017, 01:52:28 am »

INB4 The child turns out to be a bloodthirsty werecreature...
Nope, it just wandered off map after awhile.
However:

And not 10(real life) seconds after that:

Although I think that no children have been stolen, and the goblin siege appears to be just.. hanging around the edge of the map.
I am fairly sure however, should anyone choose to wander over there, then run back to town, we would lose(because we have no military and cannot create one(we're more pacifist than elves and not by choice))
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49938 on: April 19, 2017, 05:15:18 am »

We have axelords now. Frankly spoiling for a fight, especially as I have made fortifications for the archers this time, rather than just shoved them into battle.

Which reminds me: never, ever try the "William of Normandy" archers to the front tactic.
One wheel short of a wagon

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49939 on: April 19, 2017, 08:37:05 pm »

Didn't anyone ever tell you that archery is a wimpy elves' sport, and that real pint-sized killing machines use axes?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49940 on: April 19, 2017, 08:49:03 pm »

Didn't anyone ever tell you that archery is a wimpy elves' sport, and that real pint-sized killing machines use axes?

Archery is only used by merciful attackers, the real pros just throw the arrows at you.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49941 on: April 19, 2017, 09:44:23 pm »

It turns out that 67 out of 93 citizens in my human fort are worshipers of Ufsmat, depicted as a female human associated with suicide, death, disease and deformity, which gives them some lovely tasks when they go to the temple, like:

I'm thinking of stopping this suicide cult before it starts, but they make the majority of my fort population... What to do, what to do...
GENERATION 29:

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49942 on: April 19, 2017, 09:48:49 pm »

It turns out that 67 out of 93 citizens in my human fort are worshipers of Ufsmat, depicted as a female human associated with suicide, death, disease and deformity, which gives them some lovely tasks when they go to the temple, like:

So... A sickly goth chick who cut her own face?

And a town that refuses to military?

Are you sure these people didn't show up precisely to commit suicide?

EDIT: if you just straight set humans to be playable, you'll lack lots of needed nobles/admins/military officers.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49943 on: April 19, 2017, 11:15:10 pm »

Which reminds me: never, ever try the "William of Normandy" archers to the front tactic.

If anything, it's hard to keep archers off the front lines; like every military dwarf, they have an unfortunate tendency to rush straight at the enemy with no regard for tactics.

I can now add two human diplomats and a merchant caravan's crossbowhuman to the fort's list of slain humans; with any luck, I'll be at war with them in a couple of years. I hate to put more burden on the Dwarven caravan, of course; the fort generates a lot of garbage that some fool needs to haul away. On the other hand, this does mean that I can pay 50000¤ for a handful of clay, so that hopefully they will bring more next year.

Adamantine clothing production is still going, albeit slowly. It's already shown some benefits besides immutability (with the dfhack plugin that fixes the bug making it wear out): a couple of civilian lives have been saved by its remarkable deflective power.

Slaying all the human visitors led to a brief uptick in pregnancies before visitors once more bloated the fort's population to meet the population cap.

For the first couple of years, both human and dwarven caravans (alas, there are no nearby elves) brought great books. After that, they have exclusively brought passable, amateurish, hackish garbage, despite my paying extremely well for the great works and only the great works. Fortunately, the Great Library has attracted enough scholars since then to be producing (apparently) the only great scientific and literary works in the world.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49944 on: April 19, 2017, 11:29:38 pm »

So... A sickly goth chick who cut her own face?

And a town that refuses to military?

Are you sure these people didn't show up precisely to commit suicide?

EDIT: if you just straight set humans to be playable, you'll lack lots of needed nobles/admins/military officers.
Yeah, I straight up set humans to be playable, no further modding, and I'm aware of the nobility deficit, but I'm playing it.
Progress on my saferoom is going well.
GENERATION 29:

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49945 on: April 20, 2017, 01:10:09 am »

I'm not even certain I have any materials that would hold up, maybe if I built the bridge out of steel and used steel mechanisms?

First of all, BRIDGES CAN BE DESTROYED? WAAAAT
Also, dragonfire is over 4 times hotter than magma, so IIRC, only candy can withstand it, but it too can melt after repeated bursts.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #49946 on: April 20, 2017, 08:42:59 am »

I'm not even certain I have any materials that would hold up, maybe if I built the bridge out of steel and used steel mechanisms?

First of all, BRIDGES CAN BE DESTROYED? WAAAAT
Also, dragonfire is over 4 times hotter than magma, so IIRC, only candy can withstand it, but it too can melt after repeated bursts.
Dragonfire is hot enough to BOIL TUNGSTEN.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49947 on: April 20, 2017, 08:52:00 am »

snip

Well, crap.

Anybody got like a forcefield generator lying around?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49948 on: April 20, 2017, 12:16:10 pm »

snip

Well, crap.

Anybody got like a forcefield generator lying around?

Equipped shields can withstand dragonfire, because Dwarven courage burns even hotter.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49949 on: April 20, 2017, 01:06:50 pm »

No, clearly. It must because there is no such thing as a !!Shield!! (Equipped).
Pages: 1 ... 3328 3329 [3330] 3331 3332 ... 3835