Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3339 3340 [3341] 3342 3343 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5842074 times)

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50100 on: May 17, 2017, 09:45:53 am »

Managed to find a save of my fort, though it was in the early days of the clown breeding project. I must admit I love how you can see where my dwarves have been based on the trails of vomit they leave from being cave adapted. The bigger the vomit piles the more dwarves that have been to a place.
I thought I was the only one! How did you capture your demons? What do you breeding them for?
I used a miner and a bunch of dogs to bait them into an air lock, Then cconnected the air lock to a large crimson tower full of fortifications near where the invading goblin and elves arrive on map and baited them there using more dogs before sealing them in with a bridge.  I just have tons of demons breeding this tower and I occaisionaly open another airlock to let a few out onto an artifact adamantine trap I have to disabble them where I can have my archers train on their unconcious, bleeding bodies. Oh and to prevent the demons from firing fireballs through and burning my dwarves I have a water fall near the fortifications the dwarves fire through...also do demons have any value in their bones, hides, or body parts?
Sadly, demon parts have a value multiplier of 1, so the only real use of demon parts is to make colorful things.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #50101 on: May 17, 2017, 09:53:29 am »

Hmm so I can't make a fortress based on demonic butchering. A shame.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #50102 on: May 17, 2017, 10:54:42 am »

Yep, I have a family that is related to a quarter of my fort right now in some fashion.

I'm on my third bugged siege. First one got 22, killed them and the 'siege' tag didn't go away for a year. Second one, 1, and it took 2 years to go away. This one, no one showed up to siege me.

It's been a boring town. My candy spire was a solid mass, so now I have candy weapons and armor with no risk. Bugged sieges don't bring me toys. The only thing interesting was the dragon... who got conked on the head by a falling tree and knocked out, rendering it easy pickings; and a flying, web-spewing pigeon who shattered a couple necks before being de-winged by a pair of Macelords.

I've lost twice as many to failed moods and minor riots than anything else. Think once the roads out are built and the siege tag vanishes in a couple years, I'll retire the town. 

Capture a bunch of dangerous beasts, build some maze-like catacombs and fill them with skeletons. Throw the monsters in the catacombs, retire the fort, and you have an instant adventure-mode nightmare set out for you.

The only dangerous beasts have been a mountain titan and a dragon. and the dragon knocked herself out with a tree. Set the woods on fire, and was caught in a collapse. The Mountain titan was only dangerous because of webs, and the fact that candy helms won't stop your neck from being shattered when kicked in the head. Even the wildlife tends towards gazelles and giraffes more than vultures and keas. I haven't had any forgotten friends arrive in the caverns, just a herd of crundles. It's possible I have a self-contained section of caverns, wouldn't be the first time I explored one and found nothing but a massive lake and a couple chambers, but no exits off the map.

Try this script to recover stuck sieges.

Also recovers incomplete caravans, forgotten beasts that announce they have arrived but never do, and random packs of wildlife.

Thank you! I'll try that.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #50103 on: May 17, 2017, 05:42:34 pm »

After being away from DF for a while, I recently started up a goblin fortress to brush the rust off.  The outer wall of Sliverraked is finally sealed, with a five-tile limestone block floor around the outside to prevent trees from springing up right next to it.  My bookkeeper estimates almost 2500 logs in the stockpiles, just from clearing trees for the outer half of this wall, despite automated wood burning to fuel my soap industry.

Also, I've determined that in the future I need to take steps to limit troll reproduction.  They seem to count against the pop cap; about a third of my total population is troll children and babies, and I had to increase my cap twice to get my target of around 25 goblins.  I currently have four married and potentially fertile couples, and two other citizens that might take to each other with the proper encouragement.  That will have to wait until the foundation for the wall is finished, though; until then, all adults are needed out and working on log moving and construction duties.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #50104 on: May 17, 2017, 06:50:57 pm »

adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #50105 on: May 17, 2017, 10:01:18 pm »

Try this script to recover stuck sieges.

Also recovers incomplete caravans, forgotten beasts that announce they have arrived but never do, and random packs of wildlife.

Doesn't seem to work, unfortunately. DFHack doesn't display an error like there isn't a script, just does nothing. Siege is still showing as active, units screen only shows a bunch of wildlife that's on the map.

*EDIT* I see it was written for 40.24. I'm running 43.05 (64bit). So it probably won't work with 64 bit at all.

*EDIT 2* I tried fix-unit-occupancy as well, but DFHack doesn't detect any occupancy issues. So basically I got a siege with no enemies.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:23:25 pm by azrael4h »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #50106 on: May 17, 2017, 10:49:30 pm »

I used a miner and a bunch of dogs to bait them into an air lock, Then cconnected the air lock to a large crimson tower full of fortifications near where the invading goblin and elves arrive on map and baited them there using more dogs before sealing them in with a bridge.  I just have tons of demons breeding this tower and I occaisionaly open another airlock to let a few out onto an artifact adamantine trap I have to disabble them where I can have my archers train on their unconcious, bleeding bodies. Oh and to prevent the demons from firing fireballs through and burning my dwarves I have a water fall near the fortifications the dwarves fire through...also do demons have any value in their bones, hides, or body parts?
In Bastiongate I built a wall around the edge of hell. I also had a wild GCS breeding operation, so I just threw one in a web generator with a goblin prisoner over some cage traps at an opening in the wall. The inside was protected by an artifact door and some fortifications. Every so often I would open the gate to the trap and let a bunch of demons get captured.

Thank god for that artifact door, those demons there are web-spinners.

The demons were killed one of two ways - target practice for my Hellguard or a repeating spike trap. The inorganic and sentient corpses were thrown into a convenient bottomless pit. The remaining corpses were butchered and turned into leather and meals.

Hmm so I can't make a fortress based on demonic butchering. A shame.
Ah, but quantity is a quality all its own! Just look at this roast!

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50107 on: May 18, 2017, 12:38:35 am »

Well, lacking anything better to do, I breached the HFS. One agonizingly slow battle later, thanks to fire breathers, dust spewers, and web throwers, I was victorious, of a sorts. I'm down to a military strength of 17, most of whom have issues breathing or walking due to nerve damage. Several have had all the muscle and fat removed, on top of breathing issues and nerve damage, with one being completely blind as well. Imagine a bunch of desiccated corpses wandering around, and realize that they're actually alive, in constant pain, and unable to grasp weapons or tools or do anything of note.

But my civilian losses were restricted to the miner who breached it, and I've sealed it for the time being, until I decide what to do from here. 

Powersteve621

• Bay Watcher
  • Under arrest for forgetting his old account
    • View Profile
« Reply #50108 on: May 18, 2017, 10:28:13 am »

Just lost one of my most highly trained military dorfs in bizarre circumstances, dead in the middle of sparring with no signs of any funny business in the combat log. Took me half an hour before i finally resorted to DFhack to figure out that the culprit was Father Time.

Having a dorf die of old age is a new one on me. It kind of sucks that I lost one of my best fighters to what is essentially nothing. Kind of makes me wish I'd had him actually do some work for the past two years instead of training exercises for a battle he'll never fight in.

Between this, most of the current map being aquifer on a no-aquifer embark and my last fort being decimated by Werewolf Neo who nobody in the whole fort managed to hit once in 50 pages of logs things have been a little weird since i started playing again.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50109 on: May 18, 2017, 10:32:45 am »

Just lost one of my most highly trained military dorfs in bizarre circumstances, dead in the middle of sparring with no signs of any funny business in the combat log. Took me half an hour before i finally resorted to DFhack to figure out that the culprit was Father Time.

Having a dorf die of old age is a new one on me. It kind of sucks that I lost one of my best fighters to what is essentially nothing. Kind of makes me wish I'd had him actually do some work for the past two years instead of training exercises for a battle he'll never fight in.

Between this, most of the current map being aquifer on a no-aquifer embark and my last fort being decimated by Werewolf Neo who nobody in the whole fort managed to hit once in 50 pages of logs things have been a little weird since i started playing again.

It is odd to have active, healthy critters just drop dead every spring. I've been losing a few every year. At least it doesn't cause tantrum spirals now.

Powersteve621

• Bay Watcher
  • Under arrest for forgetting his old account
    • View Profile
« Reply #50110 on: May 18, 2017, 10:36:19 am »

I think I prefer tantrum spirals to "fine(128)". There doesn't seem to be much reason for half the mechanics to exist these days. I'm there going all to the hassle of setting up soap production or something and they'd probably still be "fine" sleeping in a damp cave with raw plump helmets and water forever.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:47:48 am by Powersteve621 »

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50111 on: May 18, 2017, 10:55:18 am »

I just modded in dimetrodons and made a new fort to see if they need balancing. I keep starting fortresses until I start on an embark that has a pair of dimetrodons. I immediately send my dwarves, equipped with various copper armaments, at the dimetrodons. They're immediately and gruesomely murdered.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50112 on: May 18, 2017, 11:05:00 am »

I think I prefer tantrum spirals to "fine(128)". There doesn't seem to be much reason for half the mechanics to exist these days. I'm there going all to the hassle of setting up soap production or something and they'd probably still be "fine" sleeping in a damp cave with raw plump helmets and water forever.

I have a low pop cap fort and everyone is in a mild state of pathos and distressed dissatisfaction because they arw too busy to do anything besides work, and they all miss family and friends. Also the dwarven urge to craft is denied causes much angst since most are soldiers and general labor farmers and suchlike.

So the whole fort and their quarters are engraved deeply beautiful places but they just seem to barely tolerate being there.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50113 on: May 18, 2017, 11:35:46 am »

"These days" may change next version.

You can still get a lot of unhappy dwarfs by playing in an animating biome, having a tavern for socializing and friend-making, then letting your dwarfs haul their dead companions up to the refuse pile where they will be attacked by the animated head of some other previously slain friend. Here are 5 "Very Unhappy!" dwarfs and 1 "fine" dwarf (who is guzzling booze).
They have soap, it is not enough.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #50114 on: May 18, 2017, 08:14:54 pm »

Notes of Stormflash Lightningbeguile, manager and bookkeeper for the Deep Dungeon
Sliverraked, 11 Felsite 457
With the inner wall sealed, we can finally divert some labor from hauling logs and piling blocks to handle some less urgent tasks - like keeping proper records!  It's a relief to have the foundation laid out and protected from trees at last, even if it is only one story high.  At least attackers can't just walk right in from all sides now.  We've been lucky to avoid any attack aside from a few troublesome ogres so far.  That could change at any day; with the walls in place, our fighters can hold their ground at the gates, rather than running back and forth across the courtyard.

I estimate our wood piles at over 4,000 logs, and there are a few sprouts that will have to be cleared out to complete the foundation.  No shortage or charcoal for smithing, or for my lovely stoneware bricks!  Work on the walls will continue, and our glassblower is preparing blocks to line a cistern, but we're also working to refill our stockpiles of food and drink.  I've suggested sparing a little blueberry wine for cooking.  It's been far too long since I've gotten a properly marinated roast!  Our pair of pikemasters are glad to be done with hauling and back to training.  Maybe I can get in a little weapon practice one of these days, too; I know my wife, Cyclone Singedravens, is looking forward to a little sparring.

The Sliverraked Healer, Grip Wickedurge, and Zolak Fellfleshy both had sons this winter - the first boys born in Sliverraked, just two days apart.  It's nice to see the potential for a third generation.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.
Pages: 1 ... 3339 3340 [3341] 3342 3343 ... 3836