Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3340 3341 [3342] 3343 3344 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788218 times)

Godar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50115 on: May 19, 2017, 12:10:36 am »

I'm planning a new fortress. There are these two little mountais, and I'm gonna live there :) Connect each other and use the underground space of that big one too!
There's gonna be a maze with a lot of traps, where I'll put some defenseless cats to bait the intruders inside it.

Print:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50116 on: May 19, 2017, 12:20:11 am »

A mountain titan a bronze colossus were put in one room... Two go in, one goes out... Bets were placed, dorfs cheered, some cried, some just admired the *chairs*... As the cage bars rolled down, the monstrous competitors shook the very ground they walked on... Suddenly, they met- And did. Nothing. No combat. No wrestling. No steel cage makeout matches. They just walked past each other and started bashing the artifact doors.
DAMMIT!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50117 on: May 19, 2017, 09:02:31 am »

I'm planning a new fortress. There are these two little mountais, and I'm gonna live there :) Connect each other and use the underground space of that big one too!
There's gonna be a maze with a lot of traps, where I'll put some defenseless cats to bait the intruders inside it.

Print:
When you're done I *need* a save file for adventure mode
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Powersteve621

• Bay Watcher
  • Under arrest for forgetting his old account
    • View Profile
« Reply #50118 on: May 19, 2017, 09:05:28 am »

I think I prefer tantrum spirals to "fine(128)". There doesn't seem to be much reason for half the mechanics to exist these days. I'm there going all to the hassle of setting up soap production or something and they'd probably still be "fine" sleeping in a damp cave with raw plump helmets and water forever.

I have a low pop cap fort and everyone is in a mild state of pathos and distressed dissatisfaction because they arw too busy to do anything besides work, and they all miss family and friends. Also the dwarven urge to craft is denied causes much angst since most are soldiers and general labor farmers and suchlike.

So the whole fort and their quarters are engraved deeply beautiful places but they just seem to barely tolerate being there.

Maybe I'll try something like that soon then. I don't really like how I always seem to get loads of migrants in the current version anyways, people seem a bit too keen to move from the cozy mountainhalls to a hole in the ground surrounded by giant badgers so a low pop fort makes more sense to me lore-wise.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #50119 on: May 19, 2017, 01:24:54 pm »

well my clown tower worked well for stopping a siege, bad news is I forgot the traders from the dwarves and humans come in from the same side of the map as the gobbos, good news is the dwarves made it relatively okay to the trade depot, bad news is the humans did not, good news is my dwarves somehow managed to grab the stuff from the humans before they could be killed.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50120 on: May 19, 2017, 03:31:09 pm »

My sense of symmetry says you need to put some large construct in the northeast, a tower or statue higher than the mountains, to show your dwarven prowess to those that come to siege.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #50121 on: May 19, 2017, 08:14:47 pm »

Notes of Stormflash Lightningbeguile, manager and bookkeeper for the Deep Dungeon
Sliverraked, 3 Moonstone 457
Two of citizens of Sliverraked are trapped!  While Squeezedscrap, a militia captain and our best herbalist, and Sinfulurge, the bone carver, were sleeping on spare beds in one of the store rooms the door somehow became locked, and nobody has been able to find the key.  Fortunately, the room holds stockpiles of prepared food and drink, so they're in no immediate danger, but it must be frustrating to be stuck in such a small space.  Shellchucked slid some notes on a pump system under the door, to give them something to look over while they're waiting, and they've been trading poems to pass the time.  I hope we can get them out soon; they're both good friends.

18 Moonstone 457
The caravan scuttled a wagon and fled Sliverraked for no discernible reason.  The wagon was loaded with metal, ore, and coal, and absolutely no unwanted rubbish, so we can't complain too much about the free stuff, but we're all a little worried.  Merchants make it all the way here through the swamp, only to turn back almost immediately after reaching our limestone block road?  There must have been something that spooked them.

We still haven't found the key to the storeroom, but I've been hearing fewer complaints lately when I stop by to check on my trapped friends.

6 Granite 458
We finally got the sealed storeroom open!  Cobra Knifesneaked found it in a gem stockpile, of all places.  When we let them out, Squeezedscrap and Sinfulurge announced that they've decided to marry!  They've chosen Monster as their new family name.  Shellchucked had as big a smile as I've ever seen on her when offering them her congratulations.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50122 on: May 19, 2017, 09:08:34 pm »

Meanwhile in Kobold Kamp...a human pikeman visited my tavern, quite inexplicably. So we murdered the shit out of him.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50123 on: May 19, 2017, 09:38:30 pm »

I'm planning a new fortress. There are these two little mountais, and I'm gonna live there :)
I love big terrain Fortresses, they naturally lend themselves to creativity (less effort, lol).  Would love to see progress pics down the line.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50124 on: May 19, 2017, 11:38:34 pm »

I just started a new fortress, Syrupbear.  It's a one-tile map, and most of that space is filled by a volcano.  My dwarfs barely have room to move around the edges of it, especially since there's an aquifer in some parts.  It also seems to be a popular area for giant hamsters and hamster men. Should be interesting. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:44:08 pm by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #50125 on: May 20, 2017, 12:56:04 am »

Notes of Stormflash Lightningbeguile, manager and bookkeeper for the Deep Dungeon
Sliverraked, 9 Limestone 458
A pair of ogres ambushed our butcher and cook, Soulspunch, in the outer courtyard.  More precisely, they ambushed his pet drunian, and the ogress mangled the creature rather badly.  Soulspunch stepped in before she could finish off his pet, and beat her into quivering, terrified ruination with his bare hands.  I was out working on the wall and saw the whole fight - the first time I've heard of an ogre running from a smaller creature.  With the drunian safe, militia commander Whippedbeguiled and pikemaster Hellphrase finished the cleanup almost the moment they arrived.
13 Limestone 458
Idiot merchants from the Scratches of Gloss drove THREE wagons over a cliff in the same place, scuttling all of them.  The rest of them promptly left, because it's our fault they didn't drive on our perfectly solid road.  Aside from one fellow who's staggering around in the woods, lost in despair.  Maybe he financed the expedition.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 01:04:42 am by Demonic Gophers »
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

alesia

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:ANY_MAGMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50126 on: May 20, 2017, 06:53:51 pm »

Finally getting started with the 'new' edition; yes, I'm slow, okay.  :P I'm a big fan of 'last dwarves' scenarios, so I generated a lovely little pocket dimension with a lot of civilizations, most of which are dead or dying (except the goblins). Legends Viewer has been a hoot. There's exactly one living elf left, and only seven notable dwarves (out of 86 total), one of which is a walking corpse. My civ lost its only site to a titan attack seventy years ago; there's two notable dwarves left, the queen and the general, and the general looks to be a necromancer. Another one of the three 'living' dwarf civs's nobles are all dual citizens with a goblin nation and live at a dark tower, and their queen's profession is 'Drunk'.

Anyway, Ashblossoms is off to a great start. One year in and I've gotten a library started with my initial doctor/scholar and a migrant with High Master weaponsmithing and good medical skills. No visitors at all, even though I've had a tavern and a temple up and running since the first season. I suspect if I ever *do* get visitors, it will be bored outcast goblins. The big problem is, while I have gotten a caravan (with no liason), they had no books whatsoever. I did install a lever in the library so I can keep my two scholars in there discussing bandages and alternate history (dear Armok, why?), but I'm wondering if I need to learn how to use Adventure Mode just so I can get some writing in my empty bookshelves. I went a little nuts on the +hemp quires+ and now I'm storing over a hundred, but it looks like I won't get the chance to use them to copy anything, and that's just sad.

In good news (for me), outdoors temples have proved useful for combatting cave adaptation. Everybody needs to go pray regularly, and they have no options but to do it in the sunshine. Horror.

[Edit]
Spoke too soon. Dear, darling Morul Budtomb (High Master weaponsmith) has been busy while I was distracted by seasonal job management queue spam. (Logem has also been busy ... busy drinking. I sympathize.)

The World Without The Mountainhome, "The World Without The Mountainhome", a hemp quire
This is a well-crafted hemp quire. 
Written on the item is a guide entitled The World Without the Mountainhome, authored by Morul Budtomb.  It concerns the fortress Ashblossoms.  Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Morul is my favorite now. Now could you please start writing about something useful, like bandages?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:45:57 pm by alesia »

Godar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50127 on: May 21, 2017, 11:19:42 pm »

My Linked-two-mountain fortress is being a completly sucess! Today the maze was initially constructed and already used. Some poor and desprepared goblins made the first siege against my fortress, so I closed up all the dwarves (one had the unlucky of carrying a heavy stone and being chased by the goblins).
They went to the maze and... Well, now I have 4 cages with goblins to play with. 4 of them stuck in the beginning of the map, so my dorfs beat these scunts.

When you're done I *need* a save file for adventure mode
Your can count on me! Hope the fortress survives until then :D

My sense of symmetry says you need to put some large construct in the northeast
OMGosh, I completelly agree! To explore the new features, I'm going to construct the best and vaste library had ever seen, with a tabern bellow. Just don't know when.

Would love to see progress pics down the line.
About the progress, I already have soap, what's nice. Didn't started exploring the underground yet, I'm not being influenced by greed.
These are the pics:

The mayor mandated the construction of 2 toy boats. I expect accomplish it

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50128 on: May 22, 2017, 03:14:24 pm »

I started a new fortress because I was growing bored with my old one, which I’d placed in an area that turned out to be a little too calm, a little too peaceful. The new fort got named “Lanceknights”: a good sign. Two years in, some goblin snatchers showed up: an even better one!

Four years in, a “siege” consisting of a single crossbow goblin was massacred by my eager military. Is that all they got?

Six years in is when the fun really started. A werebeast appeared and slaughtered the guard dogs, then rushed towards the depot. A little kid was playing in there, and the moment she saw the werebeast, she attacked it, because of course she did. It didn’t go well for her. The military arrived, a hammerdwarf wielding a lovely artifact hammer took care of the were, and no one was bitten, so I sighed with relief and --

Hey. Hey! Why did the captain of the guard just murder that hammerdwarf? Oh jeez. Was that werebeast a dwarf? Is this a loyalty cascade? Keep the fort sealed! Contain the damage! Okay, okay, looks like no one else is getting attacked, so whatever happened must be over. Phew.

That’s when the siege hit. That exact moment. Trolls, beak dogs, the whole deal, easily outnumbering my military three to one.

But when the dust cleared, there were a dozen caged goblins, troll teeth everywhere, and not a scratch on my dwarfs. Hooray for dwarven steel!

The entrance hallway, afterwards:

A couple years later, the goblins arrived with much greater numbers, well over 100 of them this time. Not that it helped them much. I kept the outside drawbridges open too long because I wanted to get all the beak dogs (we were running low on meat), and three veteran dwarfs died as a result. Later, from reading one of their slabs, I learned this goblin attack was given the name “The Molten Assault”, which was pretty awesome: we were the magma in which their invading forces melted away to nothingness.

Some relics of that battle, on a roof three levels above the killing field:

Just half a year later, the goblins tried again, but I wasn’t anywhere near finished smashing all the teeth and used loincloths from last time so I locked them out and let the marksdwarfs have a try. They shot and killed a grand total of 6 before the other 130 invaders decided to run away. Such courage, those goblins. Soon after, I got my dwarfs to build a wall around the whole fort. Not to keep the next set of invaders out, but to keep them from escaping too quickly.

The latest fun challenge: an elf ambush! There were about a dozen of them; they’re fast but they die quickly. This is actually the first time I’ve seen elves on this embark site, and the first time any of my dwarfs have ever been attacked by elves. I trust they’ll be back later with more of their buddies.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #50129 on: May 23, 2017, 12:57:44 am »

Today I learned that you can effectively create a Dwarf Baby/Child pasture using burrows. However, the children have to be IN the burrow when you define it, or else they'll perfectly still and not move.

I discovered this because a weremoose attacked in the middle of a migrant wave. The babies were still outside the fort. On impulse, I decided that while I was at it, I wanted to just always restrict all children and babies to my Indoor burrow.

After the incident was resolved, I noticed the babies continued to sit exactly where they were, eventually becoming thirsty. Dwarves ran over with buckets and promptly watered them. It was only after I removed them from the burrow that they started to move again.

Babies are really bad at pathing into the fort.

Anyway, now I'm thinking about designating a Nursery burrow. Maybe include the catacombs in it? And I definitely need a stockpile of toys and figurines.

One of my kids, by the way, worships a human deity known as Kenom the Future of Dawning. While associated with fertility, every statue I've made in honor of the god has been a story of it cursing a DIFFERENT person with lycanthropy or vampirism. I have nicknamed this child Goth'ums.

Another baby worships a dwarven god of moon, night and darkness. I've named her Gothly.

They're the only two in my fort that has even heard of these gods.

Those kids are getting a SPECIAL playroom.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:01:57 am by Romeofalling »
Pages: 1 ... 3340 3341 [3342] 3343 3344 ... 3835