Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3341 3342 [3343] 3344 3345 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5860932 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50130 on: May 23, 2017, 03:16:17 am »

I have genned a world where-in I have stumbled upon a truly magnificent dwarf civilization. Why you may ask?

They have managed to anger not one, but three civs - Two of them elves, the other goblins. Yes, they managed to not only get two civs pissed off at them of the same race at the same time, but even managed to make the goblins want them dead badly enough to declare an open war.

Nearly the whole eastern side of the region plays host to someone who wants these dwarves dead. And I can copy the save, and recreate my old Glacier fort from 34.11!

I am gonna have me some fuckin' fun with this one.  :D

EDIT: Started a fort with two goals
A: Become the world's main exporter of the finest linen glass, and possibly ceramic goods if there's any clay around here.
B. Gain expert status in terror bird taming (copied from Masterwork, they should be a common animal around the world with the biome tokens I added to them.)

Right out the gate, as we use our mechanic and merchant to start digging, a giant honey badger appears.

Panicking, I order the militia consisting of Colonel Rith, the farmer Dakost, and the Sapper Zasit to attack it, fearing what an enraged badger would do to everyone. Unfortunately, a lack of points meant I couldn't bring a sapper's trench spade (using terrible weapons; Rith has a studded bludgeon and Dakost is using a farmer's scythe.) Fearing the worst, I watch in horror as Zasit chases the beast into the shrubbery, fully expecting her to be torn to shreds once it raged.

She then proceeded to beat the badger to death with her bare hands.

Seems the definition of Sapper as a combat engineer is far more accurate than I anticipated it would be.

cyrohound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50131 on: May 23, 2017, 10:28:38 am »

After around 120+ hours in DF, I now know enough about what I'm doing to actually start having Fun without dying to other civilizations or random werebeast attacks. So I made a world with max savagery and large beasts and placed my fort on the border of a Jungle biome, a Forest, and a Lake. I am now attempting to tame random creatures so that I can have great pets and some exotic meats.

So far I have tamed (but not domesticated) a standard jaguar, 2 cougars, a coyote, and some capybaras (which I thought was a fantasy creature like a Fluffy Wambler until I looked it up). There are some giant boars on my map, which I would love to tame for some meat, but they aren't near any of my cage traps. I have also seen a lone tiger, but like the boars they weren't near my base.

So yeah, just me experimenting with the finer points of DF after mastering the basics. I still don't fully understand how water or power work, and the minecart page on the forum looks like someone's college report in civil engineering. But I trust that I will get there someday!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50132 on: May 24, 2017, 06:47:23 am »

Thus far, no terror birds, which I guess I need to be thankful for, as they'd tear my miserable excuse for a militia to shreds, and it seems so far that the limited harvesting we've managed has yielded no flax.

Instead, we ended up with a bunch of freaking Ramie plants (which while close, is not as good and in my book for this fort, not as luxuriant,) among the other more distinctly edible plants (primarily bitter oranges, custard apples, and pineapples.)

The militia has since killed a couple giant snails to supplement the plants with not-plant bits, even if it's months-old dried badger and snail flesh.

However, the plants will be exported, sent north to incentivize those who would like something besides mushrooms and cranberries to eat to come to us, that we shall have more workers. Besides, we'll have plenty more come next year in terms of fruits and such.

EDIT: Finally got to the point where we can cobble together of mail armor and some weapons for Zasit and our new hammerdwarf. No smith though, so we have the clothier making the armor.

There's overlap between making clothes out of fabric and making armor out of chunks of metal, right? Surely there is.

EDIT II

Got some elf visitation. Merchants. Turns out the Expedition Leader was mediating on war, marking him for a worshipper of the Waning Dikes' goddess of war, victory, and fortresses. And Nitig (totally not me) tells him to steal thier shit and offer them wood. Especially since they brought a breeding pair of giant honey badgers.

That, and there's two other elf civs at war with the homeland up north, so why not shoot for three and get 80% of the eastern side of the map to want us dead.

EDIT III: THEY DARE DEPICT DWARVES IN GROWN WOOD!? SACRILEGE!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50133 on: May 24, 2017, 04:47:47 pm »

First fort in 0.43.05 with the starter pack, and it's the second summer and I have 3 dwarves left because a damn weretapir bit six people, one of them died, and then the other five massacred the hell out of everybody else. Also there's a siege, but it hasn't done anything.

Next fort I'm turning invaders off until I have walls.  >:(

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50134 on: May 24, 2017, 05:15:04 pm »

Else showed up again this third year. Colonel Rith waltzed out, clubbed one with his iron-studded bludgeon, and went back inside while the rest panicked and ran away. Stuff was plundered, but more because for some reason it all got chucked on the floor from two yaks that were unharmed.

The humans meanwhile fared considerably better, departing with some gold and platinum baubles in exchange for thier drink and metal last year, so it will likely be the same this coming year. Population has grown enough to warrant an election in the next year at the latest; No werebeast attacks or vampirism incidents, which surprises me.

Murdered a few rhinos, and even a trio of elephants, amid the continuing trickle of giant bugs which the residents readily consume without much care. Guess life under constant siege has left them with a very equal-opportunity palate.

In the meantime, I'm now awaiting goblin raiding parties. the fort's grown enough that we should be in the threshold of being worth murdering.

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile
« Reply #50135 on: May 24, 2017, 05:16:16 pm »

I know my fortress is in good hands.
My Barons first child, a one year old just strangled a honey badger to death.

Merlota

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50136 on: May 24, 2017, 10:40:09 pm »

Got another FB warning and immediately hit the warrens & levers to lock it off.   Caverns have been sealed for a while with a single entrance.
Once everyone was verified safe I opened the bridge to the webbed cage trap and waited to add another resident to the zoo.  No FB, hmmm.   Dead?  Wait, how did that cave blob get a name?

It seems the FB was made of steam and slain by a cave blob...  So I did the only rational thing, commissioned a statue of the event and walled the blob into a room with the statue.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #50137 on: May 24, 2017, 11:14:09 pm »

I updated a mod I hadn't worked on since version 34.08, and I've been testing the stuff I updated before starting new additions.  My test fort just saw its first siege, a squad of ten or so cave elves that used most of their steel for armor, leaving 'em armed primarily with lesser metals.  A couple of my civilians saw them on the hill peak, and climbed over the wall to fight the invaders alone.  My military, of course, went all the way around.

One worker, a general laborer, fought a pike-elf with a copper glaive.  It was a tough fight and she got cut up pretty badly, but a Molvokan goblin's iron claws proved too much for a copper helm and no shield.  Aslot came out on top, earning the profession of Brawler instead of Worker.  The fort's metal crafter,  needed to satisfy Master Stozu's frequent mandates for rings, had a tougher time.  Her opponent had a steel helm, and iron shield, and a silver battle axe.  The axe could only inflict minor wounds, and glanced off her iron crown a few times, but Amxu couldn't get many blows past the elf's guard, and even fewer through his armor.  She fought until she passed out from exhaustion, and then the elf started crippling all her joints with wrestling attacks.  My axe squad arrived in time to save her life, but she's pretty thoroughly mangled.

Meanwhile, warlord Båx Earthhorrors and his swordmaster squad went through the rest of the siege like a scimitar through butter.  Båx took the lead throughout the battle, killing five cave elves;  Usbu Groovemenaced got two, including the only notable kill of the lot.  I assume she killed the leader of the invasion squad.  That part of the battlefield was pretty well obscured with smoke for most of the fight.  Apparently putting a webbing caste and a torching caste in the same squad results in lots of burning webs.  Who'd have guessed?  I may have to reorganize the military to avoid that - not that it bothered the Molvokans any, but I was hoping to collect more iron-silk after the fighting.

Aftermath of the battle: the mender has some work to do for the first time since the fort was established.  Two of my workers have collected a lot of lovely scars, which would get them free drinks in the tavern if the drinks weren't all free anyway.    I verified that the syndrome I put in the Molvokans' blood to give them a pleasure thought from contact with it works.  And I clearly need to make my walls high enough that people can't see the hill outside while they're working.

EDIT: Possessed mood got me an artifact steel morningstar named the Stale Ravager.  "This object menaces with spikes of steel", which is fitting.  None of my citizens have any real skill with the mace, so I'm assigning it to Master Stozu.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:34:07 am by Demonic Gophers »
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50138 on: May 25, 2017, 03:50:48 pm »

First post here... my dwarfs are dying from dehydration. Around 10 have died, and the rest are on the brink of tantrumspiral.
Reaction:
  • Tell my brewer to restart brewing (!)
  • Continue construction of the Water Works and Cistern
  • Make a memorial for them on my memorial hall
Yes, I had a Hall for the Fallen... before anyone fell... because this is DF, right?
Losing is Not Fun.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50139 on: May 25, 2017, 03:51:54 pm »

Losing is Not Fun.
KILL THE BLASPHEMER
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50140 on: May 25, 2017, 04:31:11 pm »

Losing is Not Fun.
KILL THE BLASPHEMER

Well, in fairness, there's a difference between Fun/fun and FUN/!!FUN!!

Though I suppose my own idea of that is clouded by a first loss of a fort because I didn't know you had to cook eggs since dwarves readily ate everything else raw and didn't find it particularly amusing...

Trade with the humans went according to plan, and the Sapper has another giant tick under her belt. The elephant hunts from before also yielded us a Spear Master, as one of our migrants from last fall was evidently quite close to Great status already.

No births yet, so no kidnappers attracted yet, though we do have two married couples who showed up who have been given modest family homes consisting of a large master bedroom with all sorts of luxuries: Weapon and armor stand, chest, cabinet, and a bed, two small bedrooms with a chest and cabinet, plus a statue of something each of the parents like - one in the master bedroom and one in the biggest frivolity: A family dining room. Neither are finished, mind, but still.

Everyone else gets a modest 3x3 with a bed. chest, and cabinet until they get married, while admins get thier own diggs and Sergeants and the Colonel (renamed militia commanders and captains) get larger 4x4 rooms with a rack and stand as well.

I've also begun production of ramie cloth in lieu of linen, and I'm going to dye the stuff green - I have an abundance of blade weed, so until I import some dimple cup seeds I need something to jack the value somehow. I also had to begin ripping down trees in our current forage site, since workers are getting stuck in trees. No loss, there's plenty to be had in other parts of the area.

EDIT:
From The personal log of Colonel Rith
Elephants come, and the militia musters. We shall war the beast herd with honor.

We remember Boatmurdered.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50141 on: May 25, 2017, 05:42:00 pm »

Losing is Not Fun.
KILL THE BLASPHEMER
Well, I'd like to make a point of the fact that I'm going to treat the dwarves with kindness and respect. I don't think of them just as a way of painting your screen pretty colors. I'm not going to try to get any fun out of the agony of any creature, even simulated. Now, I am still going to lose - and likely in an entertaining way - but I'm seriously going to try and get through this while killing as few dwarves as possible.
Perhaps I'll clarify. Losing is fun. Dying is not.
*dodges magma*
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #50142 on: May 25, 2017, 06:05:25 pm »

*dodges magma*

Dwarf fortress is a game where the inevitability of death is overshadowed by the absurdity of life
Death is fun because as dwarfs we laugh in its face

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50143 on: May 25, 2017, 06:14:53 pm »

*dodges magma*

Dwarf fortress is a game where the inevitability of death is overshadowed by the absurdity of life
Death is fun because as dwarfs we laugh in its face

Or try to punch it in the face because 90 of our friends are also trying to punch it in the face. Bandwagons of punchings are fun.

Elephant kills went well, herd of rhinos showed up. They'd probably run away instead, but I should really probably assemble the militia and kill'em before they cause any problems or interrupt our moody weaver, who evidently approves of my desire for cloth exports. Also killed a giant armadillo. The thrips and parakeets elude the militia, especially since the marksdwarves (the whole three that we have) are under equipped to try and take'em down whenever they show up.

Gotta say, the Terrible Weapons are suitably brutal. Where purpose-built weaponry punctures and shatters, this stuff cleaves things asunder and explode elephant head into gore. Sure, it's relying on pulping, but gods damn if it's not satisfying imagining a dwarf with a junk-metal club hitting something so hard it explodes.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50144 on: May 26, 2017, 05:03:29 am »

Returning to continue Tometowers after a while off.
Digging and smoothing of a deep channel surrounding the mountain peak where the palace will rise has begun, and is also fuelling the continued construction of the residential apartment towers.

Meanwhile it turns out the reason there are still so many ghosts is I made them slabs then completely forgot to install them.
Sadly this revelation was too late to save one of my legendary axelords, who was first imprisoned for violating a mandate even though he couldn't possibly have, and then possessed by an angry ghost as he sat chained under the tower of justice.
He has now gone stark raving mad and is "running" around babbling. He has conveniently not managed to escape his copper chain.
I wish him a mercifully swift death.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.
Pages: 1 ... 3341 3342 [3343] 3344 3345 ... 3836