Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3342 3343 [3344] 3345 3346 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787310 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50145 on: May 26, 2017, 08:42:27 am »

I wish him a mercifully swift death.
It's not enough to wish a swift death, you have to GRANT it.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50146 on: May 26, 2017, 01:36:05 pm »

I wish him a mercifully swift death.
It's not enough to wish a swift death, you have to GRANT it.
Yeah, why not march a few marksdwarves up the tower with orders to-
Oh wait, loyalty cascade.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50147 on: May 26, 2017, 05:36:12 pm »

Now, I made the idiot mistake of letting a reindeer die in the middle of my fortress. Then not moving the corpse.

Purple stink everywhere.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50148 on: May 26, 2017, 07:27:38 pm »

Got a fancy wool robe and a legendary weaver as a result of the mood. We've also finally managed to scrape enough bags together to make dye instead of use them for seed storage, so we'll soon have more bags to make more dye with since I ordered the workers to only autoloom dyed thread.

Also, the elderly human woman who took up as a skilled bard in our community's husband arrived not too long ago! I actually kinda hope they'll both opt to stay, instead of them being forced to remain apart for thier individual travels.

Still no invasions, be it from local elves (we have a wood offering, a seizure, and a merchant callously bludgeoned to death and the caravan effectively robbed as a result,) or the warring goblins. Although something unfortunate appears to have fallen upon the old dynasty, as we have a new Queen up north. A death in battle? Old age? I wish the Liaison would specify why...

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50149 on: May 26, 2017, 08:19:53 pm »

Ettin strolled into my fort. Now, this wouldn't be an issue, but I'm an idiot noob (you know this) and I didn't have any defenses or weapons whatsoever.

So I try to wall off the entrances to the fort before the Ettin gets there WELL NOPE. So then I just rounded up 10 dwarves that looked like they could shoot, then rounded up 10 random dwarves for good measure, and threw them at the Ettin.

As expected, this resulted in a huge pile of dwarves and Ettin.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm surprised we killed the thing.

Now the even dumber part, I was planning to retire this fort and then visit it in adventurer when the Ettin showed up. I'm tempted to retire now and let them clean up on their own, but I feel obliged to try and prevent them from tantrumspiralling...

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #50150 on: May 26, 2017, 09:43:42 pm »

Lost my carpenter to a 'cave in' from cutting down a tree, confirming the long-held Molvokan belief that trees are the enemy, and most likely in league with elves.  The world will only be as it should when someone works out a way to make beds out of safe, reliable iron.  He was only an ordinary goblin caste, and unmarried, but the other founders all considered him a friend, and his woodworking skills were excellent.  Besides, the death of any Molvokan is regrettable.  Since trees cannot be fended off with iron bones or combat skill, further woodcutting will be restricted to expendable individuals - especially the handful of humans and dwarves who have joined the fortress, who will just die anyway when they get old.

I'll need to train a new carpenter from scratch to keep up the supply of high quality beds, especially as I just began construction of a second level on the apartment complex.  Out bowyer has no actual experience with carpentry, but at least she knows how to handle wood.

In other news, Warlord Båx has begun recruiting archers and marksmen to fend off buzzards and other aerial nuisances.  He also placed an immigrant shadow elf in charge of a combat training squad for the benefit of those who looking for an opportunity to practice martial arts.  An ettin dropped by for a brief visit, arriving right next to the area where Båx and his squad train.  It fell into a panic after a brief exchange of words and blows, and soon succumbed to blood loss from scimitar slices and severe burns.  Master Stozu has assigned Song the Tangler (rumored to be under consideration for the position of dungeon master) to work on some secret project with one of the masons.  Three years older than Song, she played a key role in completing the recently constructed well system, taking over for our usual miner while Ngokang was taking time off for combat training.  Amxu the metal crafter is finally back on her feet, fully recovered from her injuries during the cave elf raid.

(I think this is the first time I've lost a woodcutter directly because of a woodcutting accident.  I'm guessing it might have been because the tree was badly charred - in which case, the more dangerous of the Molvokan castes are the biggest threat to their own well-being, just as planned.  Stozu herself is especially prone to setting the region on fire, and also getting stuck in trees while flying around.  She often requires that a staircase be built giving access to the tree where she is waiting - at which point she will fly down, ignoring the stairs.)
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50151 on: May 27, 2017, 01:24:59 pm »

Ettin strolled into my fort. Now, this wouldn't be an issue, but I'm an idiot noob (you know this) and I didn't have any defenses or weapons whatsoever.

So I try to wall off the entrances to the fort before the Ettin gets there WELL NOPE. So then I just rounded up 10 dwarves that looked like they could shoot, then rounded up 10 random dwarves for good measure, and threw them at the Ettin.

As expected, this resulted in a huge pile of dwarves and Ettin.

I'm surprised we killed the thing.

Now the even dumber part, I was planning to retire this fort and then visit it in adventurer when the Ettin showed up. I'm tempted to retire now and let them clean up on their own, but I feel obliged to try and prevent them from tantrumspiralling...

Here's a tip for you: ettins and other semimegabeasts are generally no threat whatsoever as long as you have a cage trap. Any cage trap can obtain an ettin for you. Doesn't have to be webbed.

But you still want at least some small military because forgotten beasts and other fun things are immune to traps. Those are the ones you need to be careful about.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50152 on: May 27, 2017, 02:12:24 pm »

Praisemachines, 52

We're two for two on possession moods. Sigh. But the walls are up, a kobold thief was scared away, and we only lost a few roasts to stockpile mismanagement. Just waiting for a were to come try to murder all my dwarves again, see how it likes a face full of functional bridges.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50153 on: May 27, 2017, 07:38:21 pm »

New artifact.... useful and it sounds really cool, like a dwarf decided to make a portable ballista.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50154 on: May 27, 2017, 07:43:57 pm »

Is it made of bulky tunnel tubes is it a bulky crossbow made of tunnel tubes? I'm assuming the former.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50155 on: May 27, 2017, 07:46:27 pm »

That be a Vault weapon, given shape in inferior material.

Weresheep attack. Unsure how to proceed, but three soldiers are right next to it doing solo drills. Here's hoping nobody is fatally gnawed on.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50156 on: May 27, 2017, 08:36:07 pm »

Today I learned that you can effectively create a Dwarf Baby/Child pasture using burrows. However, the children have to be IN the burrow when you define it, or else they'll perfectly still and not move.

I discovered this because a weremoose attacked in the middle of a migrant wave. The babies were still outside the fort. On impulse, I decided that while I was at it, I wanted to just always restrict all children and babies to my Indoor burrow.

After the incident was resolved, I noticed the babies continued to sit exactly where they were, eventually becoming thirsty. Dwarves ran over with buckets and promptly watered them. It was only after I removed them from the burrow that they started to move again.

Babies are really bad at pathing into the fort.

Anyway, now I'm thinking about designating a Nursery burrow. Maybe include the catacombs in it? And I definitely need a stockpile of toys and figurines.

One of my kids, by the way, worships a human deity known as Kenom the Future of Dawning. While associated with fertility, every statue I've made in honor of the god has been a story of it cursing a DIFFERENT person with lycanthropy or vampirism. I have nicknamed this child Goth'ums.

Another baby worships a dwarven god of moon, night and darkness. I've named her Gothly.

They're the only two in my fort that has even heard of these gods.

Those kids are getting a SPECIAL playroom.

Kiddy pastures. interesting.

Though if they mood they'd probably break out of the burrow, and go wherever to get what they need.

Here's an improvement on the Kiddo Pastures:

Put Farms inside the Kiddo Pastures, burrow a Farmer in there with them, let all dwarves harvest, but keep the farms sealed off from the rest of the fortress so only the kids and farmer harvest.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #50157 on: May 27, 2017, 09:36:53 pm »

A weregecko attacked, and chewed on some random bard that was hanging around before my legendary sword squad performed corrective brain surgery to treat its unfortunate condition.  The bard was a flier that spent all its time hovering one level up, right next to where my legendaries train, so I figured the problem would solve itself.  A month later, the bard transforms and I start getting combat reports: "The weregecko bard misses the Swordmaster! x4"  Båx and his squad didn't seem to have noticed the thing was now hostile, and were casually dodging without even paying attention to it!  Amusing, but potentially trouble if a civilian wandered by, so I ordered them to stop playing around and kill the weregecko already.

They dodged a few more times while considering this, and then somebody blew fire at it.  And suddenly, it gets one bite through.  Then Båx hacks its lung apart, webs it, and stabs it through the head, all before it can react.  I think the only reason it managed a bite is that my swordmaster got webbed, too, while it was in the process of attacking her.

So now I have a level 45 swordmaster, also a great dodger and talented biter, lying in my hospital with one tiny cut that will probably need no treatment after diagnosis... and a weregecko infection.  And I need to get her contained before she transforms, mostly because I'm worried about a loyalty cascade if she's with her squad when she changes, and nobody else in the fort has a chance of hitting or evading her.  My plan is to make her into a new squad, station her in the deepest mine, and wall her in while I work out a more permanent, comfortable option.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50158 on: May 27, 2017, 10:01:46 pm »

Is it made of bulky tunnel tubes is it a bulky crossbow made of tunnel tubes? I'm assuming the former.
"Tunnel Tube" logs is the material. I like the "bulky" attribute, as it implies the crossbow is larger than normal, even though it still weighs only 1. Moody dwarfs apparently can make some fancy things. I also have a "sleek steel high boot" but that is more annoying than anything else.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50159 on: May 27, 2017, 10:05:28 pm »

"Tunnel Tube" logs is the material. I like the "bulky" attribute, as it implies the crossbow is larger than normal, even though it still weighs only 1. Moody dwarfs apparently can make some fancy things. I also have a "sleek steel high boot" but that is more annoying than anything else.

Blazing, flashing, bulky, and such are unique things to that world, usually restricted to Vault guards if I'm not mistaken. So basically it's a crossbow... Patterned after a divine variant of their common crossbows no dwarf has actually seen in person. Won't lie though I do imagine a dwarf hauling a shoulder-fired crossbow into battle, which seems more badass in my head than it probably should.
Pages: 1 ... 3342 3343 [3344] 3345 3346 ... 3835