Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3343 3344 [3345] 3346 3347 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786945 times)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50160 on: May 28, 2017, 02:35:07 am »

The humans of the Oily Kingdoms sent a siege consisting of two crossbowmen with copper and silver bolts, and eight unarmored, unarmed recruits.

...Were these people criminals condemned to death, with the crossbowmen along to shoot them if they tried to run away?  I can't think what else that squad could possibly hope to accomplish.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50161 on: May 28, 2017, 10:38:22 am »

The humans of the Oily Kingdoms sent a siege consisting of two crossbowmen with copper and silver bolts, and eight unarmored, unarmed recruits.

...Were these people criminals condemned to death, with the crossbowmen along to shoot them if they tried to run away?  I can't think what else that squad could possibly hope to accomplish.

Could be hostile refugees, bandits, or wrestlers - recall ancient myths about such enemies coming to battle the dwarven people, who would respond in kind.

Weresheep was eliminated, with the only casualty being the CMD - Who thankfully wasn't chomped on, but got punched in the arm so hard it bent it the other way. The CMD didn't like this one bit, and so took his hunting sword and ripped it's neck out.

And proceeded to pass out on the floor. The only other medical professionals are two bone doctors, so... Here's hoping he kept a book of how to sew muscle and skin back together laying around.

Also it seems our resident brewer's been working with broken ribs sustained in a bar fight, and a marksdwarf passed out behind the bar after being served one mug too many of custard apple cider.

Also might be high time to build a topside warehouse, post a few guard dogs, and begin building a keep...

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #50162 on: May 28, 2017, 11:03:47 am »

I'd love to see that actually becoming a thing in later versions - criminals who are caught being forcefully conscripted into meatshield squads for their civ.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #50163 on: May 28, 2017, 11:19:29 am »

Is it made of bulky tunnel tubes is it a bulky crossbow made of tunnel tubes? I'm assuming the former.
"Tunnel Tube" logs is the material. I like the "bulky" attribute, as it implies the crossbow is larger than normal, even though it still weighs only 1. Moody dwarfs apparently can make some fancy things. I also have a "sleek steel high boot" but that is more annoying than anything else.
Blazing, flashing, bulky, and such are unique things to that world, usually restricted to Vault guards if I'm not mistaken. So basically it's a crossbow... Patterned after a divine variant of their common crossbows no dwarf has actually seen in person. Won't lie though I do imagine a dwarf hauling a shoulder-fired crossbow into battle, which seems more badass in my head than it probably should.
Looking at the random raws, the adjective versions of weapons are identical to their vanilla counterparts.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50164 on: May 28, 2017, 11:47:13 am »

I think I found out how to do planepacked again...

The story is:

Early on in the fort, a werelizard came, and bit this dwarf. I built an isolation cell for it, and walled it in. One to three years later, I use the strangemood command in DFHack to check if there's a anything preventing a strange mood. As there's nothing preventing it, this dwarf gets selected. I dig out a room and using the showmood command, put the materials required in there with the correct workshop. While I'm doing this, the FPS drops to 5-6. When I release her into the room (which is not sealed), she claims the workshop, gets the materials, and then disappears (I think one of the dwarves brings her to the Hospital, but she wasn't injured). I find her in one of the Hospital beds, and use full-heal (Because I didn't expect her to leave the room I gave her, and if she goes insane from the mood, an insane werelizard would be quite damaging) on her, just to make sure she finishes her mood, and that's when I press enter on his general tab - and find the above image. Using showmood gives me this:
She has claimed a Leather Works and wants the following items:
Item 1: any leather, quantity 3 (got 50)
Item 2: metal bar, quantity 150(got 150)

However, she is not moving from her bed in the hospital.

I will upload the save, and the last year's worth of autosaves.

Edit: Here's the save
Please not that in trying to get the dwarf to mood I forbade several mood items - which removed them from the list. I will try to replicate this, so I can verify it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 11:58:57 am by ☼Another☼ »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50165 on: May 28, 2017, 12:09:18 pm »

Is it made of bulky tunnel tubes is it a bulky crossbow made of tunnel tubes? I'm assuming the former.
"Tunnel Tube" logs is the material. I like the "bulky" attribute, as it implies the crossbow is larger than normal, even though it still weighs only 1. Moody dwarfs apparently can make some fancy things. I also have a "sleek steel high boot" but that is more annoying than anything else.
Blazing, flashing, bulky, and such are unique things to that world, usually restricted to Vault guards if I'm not mistaken. So basically it's a crossbow... Patterned after a divine variant of their common crossbows no dwarf has actually seen in person. Won't lie though I do imagine a dwarf hauling a shoulder-fired crossbow into battle, which seems more badass in my head than it probably should.
Looking at the random raws, the adjective versions of weapons are identical to their vanilla counterparts.
Let me have my mental image of a crossbow bazooka damn it!

Goblins came, and promptly spun on their heels and left. Scouts maybe?

Speaking of goblins, one visiting the tavern got into a fight with an herbalist, so I dispensed justice quickly and severely with the nearest soldier (who happened to have a large blunt object available.) Elves also visited, and in retribution of the war up north, this bunch was fatally beaten to death with cudgels and given extra breathing holes in thier heads with fishing spears.

Things go well, all things considered. Is a bit of a shame that there hasn't been more external forces seeking to make my dorfs dead though, and no, I'm not gonna drill for a funhouse just for that.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #50166 on: May 28, 2017, 01:07:05 pm »

A wave of immigrants came to fortress... and so did a dragon.

They were five tiles apart.

Spectacular fireworks were had.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

alesia

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:ANY_MAGMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50167 on: May 28, 2017, 03:29:47 pm »

Managed to get a marriage between two of my starting seven in the first year in a fort from a dying-not-dead civ. (I was annoyed to see the caravan, but I get to have nobles this way, so yay I guess?) Never managed that before! Dwarven speed-dating: it really does work.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50168 on: May 28, 2017, 08:38:58 pm »

Let me have my mental image of a crossbow bazooka damn it!
I know!!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50169 on: May 28, 2017, 08:56:34 pm »

Dammit, managed to rangle in a cave dragon... Plopped him in a room with an artifact door, so he'd be fine... But when I got a migrant wave, did my usual thing of just pasturing all that had came to the fort... This incidentally included the wild cave dragon... So long, massive herd of cows I've spent a fortune on...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50170 on: May 29, 2017, 12:13:29 am »

It's been a busy hour and a half.
Was quietly plugging away at the apartment towers and discovering the last caverns & red sea.
An Ettin shows up, kills a dog, beats up another then freaks out and runs to hide in some trees before militia arrive and rip it to shreds.

Next a Goblin seige arrives, costs us several civvies and the Hammerer :( before militia arrives to wipe them out. They also killed an axelord somehow. The worst part though was the dwarven caravan showing up two minutes later and spooking from the bodies and blood, the battle had unfortunately taken place IN the trade plaza and on the front step of the public tavern. Said tavern roof is now covered in body parts, as is the fence uphill.
Had to take down one of the statues in the Tower of Justice to remove the lower half of the Hammerer's body after he was straight up bisected.  :'(

Things are finally quieting down now, mass expansion of the graveyard is underway, magmaworks have just come online, and I've just installed a new "Militia Scramble" door leading from the bastion straight to the lower tavern so the army won't have to take the switchback next time. That delay cost us a few lives.

Most interestingly the insane axelord in the basement of the Tower of Justice is still alive. He went mad months back and I feel he should have dehydrated/starved by now. Could it be mad dwarves who remain restrained continue to be cared for? Will try and catch someone in the act.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50171 on: May 29, 2017, 12:26:03 am »

I'd had a forgotten beast chilling in the cavern for about a year, and just blocked the whole deal off until a dwarf got into a mood and demanded fabric.
I guess I forgot about it or figured it had wandered off because it didn't show up in the units list, until I made an opening to gather silk. Then it showed back up like the Kool Aid man.
Its 'deadly dust' somehow turned out to be more like some sort of ice bomb. And it decided it wanted a drink out of my stockpile and the military just happened to be speedbumps along the way.
It eventually died, very slowly, after perforating both lungs and its heart, but killed three full squads and 87% of everyone else.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50172 on: May 29, 2017, 12:30:30 am »

Made an assassin squad as a joke, from guys who were all great ambushers... Gave them knives off the kobold cave we embarked on, which had thirty kobolds that were all slaughtered by the woodcutters. After a human siege showed up with a general on horseback, I sent them after him thinking these excess hunters wouldn't do anything... They walked in a weird square around the siege, got past everyone, and eliminated the general with just two stabs to the face... Sure, they're dead now, but damn naming them First Assassin Battalion sure worked...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50173 on: May 29, 2017, 04:03:26 am »

The first goblin snatcher for this fort decided to take advantage of the weakened population.
None of the war dogs had died in the forgotten beast attack.
The combat log between them and the goblin was honestly a little frightening.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50174 on: May 29, 2017, 09:33:16 pm »

Holy shit a bronze colossus came. Somehow the militia beat it without casualties. Iron war hammers seem to work.

Feeling clever for figuring out how to use manager to automate pearlash production, and now have clear glass production taking off. The 6 surviving founders all get clear glass windows in their houses now.
Have also begun construction on the great library, and the final permanent temple is active at last.

Have not managed to observe anyone feeding/watering the insane chained axelord yet but have seen there be no bucket next to him, and there later there is. It's been six months and he hasn't died. Can say with 90% certainty he is being cared for. I think I accidentally invented a dwarven asylum.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.
Pages: 1 ... 3343 3344 [3345] 3346 3347 ... 3835