Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3344 3345 [3346] 3347 3348 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5838611 times)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50175 on: May 29, 2017, 10:19:19 pm »

I got a new race in my current mod-in-progress to the point where I wanted to test it, so my Molvokan test fort is on hold for a while, and the Qarryn have a new settlement, Stillspikes.  The founding seven are all within five years of age - two male and five female.  They arrived to establish Stillspikes on 15 Granite 300.  It is now 16 Granite 300, and there are already two new romances.

Maybe I won't have to pair them up and lock them in small rooms in order to get them married!
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50176 on: May 29, 2017, 11:23:59 pm »

I have no idea what the "blighted gloom" in my terrifying biome embark even does.  The expedition leader got caught in a bunch of it, and nothing obvious happened.  Is there any way to figure out what these clouds do, or is it always thralling?  Anyway, so far it hasn't got anyone.

One slightly terrifying moment was when I'd just got the entire crew downstairs after channeling down 2 z-layers from the embark block, dumping everything from the embark into a hole in the ground and digging outward from that, then bringing everyone downstairs.  The blighted gloom followed us down two layers and swirled around for a while.  I capped that and now the outside world and the caverns can be locked with three levers.

I did one of those "bring nothing but a pick and an axe and tons of ores and then build everything from scratch" embarks, which is pretty dicey with a terrifying biome, but it has so far failed to be very terrifying.  I'm somewhat worried since I have no idea what this cloud does.  I assume thralling, but how long does that take?  Is it random?  Or do some of these clouds do nothing?

I've dragged a bunch of wood and plants underground and just located an adamantine spire that, for a change, appears generous, have a general idea where magma is, and otherwise, was finally lucky enough to get an embark where my "grand staircase" just goes straight from the top of my fort directly down all the way to the magma, with no cheats or radar exploits.

I also finally got a trade depot multiple z-layers down connected to the surface by ramps to be accessible.  Not sure why that was such a problem in the past.

Bringing all the components of bismuth bronze enabled me to get everything up quickly, but was soon superseded by actually having everything available for steel, as well as a ridiculously rich flux layer I'm actually using to build constructions at this point.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop in. . .the Fountains of Mastery.

Decided to play a bit after restarting to find out the name, and a Jabberer got in while the final bridge was being built and killed everyone except three dwarves and two children.  Ironic name, really.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50177 on: May 30, 2017, 01:41:16 am »

"Some migrants have arrived, despite the danger."
Welcome to Romancedroof! We still have 65 of your dead brethren to stuff into coffins, get to work!
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50178 on: May 30, 2017, 01:56:28 am »

This is the fourth puppy found dead just in front of the entrance. The militia commander has lost three war dogs without a trace. There are no combat logs here.
WTF are you dorfs doing?
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50179 on: May 30, 2017, 02:15:04 am »

I have no idea what the "blighted gloom" in my terrifying biome embark even does.  The expedition leader got caught in a bunch of it, and nothing obvious happened.  Is there any way to figure out what these clouds do, or is it always thralling?  Anyway, so far it hasn't got anyone.
Some weather effects take time before they "thrall" the unit. Some turn creatures into killing machines and some into just sluggish zombies. Some leave a coating on the unit that will effect it over time, causing health problems that won't be obvious until the unit starts trailing blood or pus, or falls over unconcious. I suggest getting soap and an underground water source asap, since washing off weather effects is possible in some cases and will save dwarfs, and set 'o'rders 'z'ones to "only".

Watch cats and wildlife to see what the weather does. Check for "coatings" on these units, including on your dead dogs.

Because weather effects can hit anywhere on the surface and wander for a while, learn to use groups of burrows. Here is a sample:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The NearToHome civ alert in this fort is active all the time because it just is not safe to do it otherwise. All of the burrows on the right-side that are Active will limit where the dwarfs go. The burrows Belowground and Surface cover 100% of the map, but are usually disabled. The Surface burrow gets activated when it is fairly safe for a wood collection expedition, but turned off immediately afterwards. The BehindGates burrow includes most of the fort's internal areas, but the ButcherRefuse burrow is separate because of small unkillable animated things and the TradeDepot burrow is separate because it is too exposed when goblins and titans visit. The CavePen1 and TempWeb collection burrows are separate because one is outside of the gates and the other took time to wall-in, and there is still the risk that a tame draltha will die and animate, so it is a separate burrow for evacuation purposes.

To avoid job cancellation spam, it is important that all of the standing orders in the 'o' 'F' section are on "Forbid". This means when underground creatures get in a fight and some die, their corpses and scattered teeth are already forbidden and your dwarfs will not spam job cancellations about attempting to haul things from outside the burrows, and that if a militia dwarf is killed by an undead draltha while collecting plants, another military dwarf will not wander out of the burrows to "Pickup Equipment" from the fallen dwarf.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

LostKitten

• Bay Watcher
  • ha ha
    • View Profile
« Reply #50180 on: May 30, 2017, 12:20:36 pm »

So we were attacked by a weresloth, which despite the name was actually quite fast and murderous. It killed my only gay dwarf and then viciously savaged my chief medical dwarf Monom, only to transform back into a human and get its head pounded into dust by said dwarf's left hand (the other one having been forcibly removed). I then had to designate some unused bedrooms as a makeshift hospital for the chief medic to be carted off to. Personally I think he didn't deserve all that help. If he's such a good doctor why doesn't he diagnose himself?

Thinking this was the end of it, I allowed him to leave the hospital despite his losing the ability to stand. However I'd forgotten one of the crucial features of werecreatures, and sure enough when the 15th of galena rolled around he too transformed into a weresloth while taking the central staircase, and a bloody scuffle broke out in which both my woodcutter Mistem and a farmer were bitten before Mistem ended any further bloodshed by beheading the creature with her axe. I now have two cursed dwarves languishing in the hospital. Part of me thinks I should wall them off in their beds, but that hardly seems like a fair reward for the person who arguably saved us from further infections. A somewhat larger part of me thinks I should let them wander about unhindered to see how bad things get...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #50181 on: May 30, 2017, 04:00:54 pm »

This was quite eventful 17th of Hematite in my fort, I would say!

First, the body of our fisherdwarf, Bomrek, slain by orcish arrow, was discovered and buried.

And the current mayor, Bomrek, was replaced by his younger brother, also called Bomrek.

Then Bomrek, our ancient-by-now female cat and resident demon rat hunter gave birth to another litter of kittens in her long life. Her late owner, recruit Bomrek (death by training accident), would be proud of her!
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

LostKitten

• Bay Watcher
  • ha ha
    • View Profile
« Reply #50182 on: May 30, 2017, 06:03:17 pm »

Things got real bad real fast. The farmer became a weresloth in the tavern and started biting everyone and their dog, who in turn punched it ineffectually. A bard even got involved, smacking the creature with his instrument (not a euphemism). Thankfully I'd just made a spear for the militia commander who happened to be present in the tavern at the same time, and he made short work of the issue. The people in the workshop hall weren't so lucky as Mistem had also transformed and was beating the everloving shit out of anyone who happened to be there, including a possessed fisherman who had taken control of a craftsdwarf's workshop. One of the miners got there first and started mauling it with a copper pick,  eventually slicing its head of with it somehow.

So now I'm left with a complete and utter mess. Brutally injured dwarves litter the corridor, and for some reason everyone's just left them there. The fisherman had his left eye mangled and his neck torn open, but he's refusing to leave his workshop. Hilariously, one of the migrants whose only skill was being incredibly fucking good at bookbinding had her upper body split open and also had her neck torn out, but despite feeling "hopeless after suffering a major injury," her abiding thoughts on the situation are "Everything's good."

Now I have untold numbers of weresloths living among the populace, including most likely my militia commander and one of my best miners, as well as the two people i just mentioned. And that's not even mentioning the people who got bitten in the tavern. Armok help us all.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50183 on: May 30, 2017, 06:15:43 pm »

And the current mayor, Bomrek, was replaced by his younger brother, also called Bomrek.

I'd almost suspect their parents didn't expect one of them to make it very far in life in terms of life expectancy...

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50184 on: May 30, 2017, 06:53:33 pm »

Now I have untold numbers of weresloths living among the populace, including most likely my militia commander and one of my best miners, as well as the two people i just mentioned. And that's not even mentioning the people who got bitten in the tavern. Armok help us all.

It looks like you're well on your way to a werefort.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #50185 on: May 30, 2017, 07:08:17 pm »

The solution is obvious: weresloth fortress!  Weresloth is truth.  Weresloth is healing.  Weresloth is life.  Purge the blasphemers who reject the blessings of wereslothdom!  Only when all have embraced the weresloth can true peace be attained.

1 Granite 301 at Stillspikes.  The fort's first year was largely uneventful, marked by two groups of immigrants adding up to seven new residents, all married.  One fellow, a clothier named Xadak, arrived without his wife; he doesn't care to talk about what happened to her.  It is unfortunate that his dream of raising a family will never be fulfilled. In happier news, early this winter Ziram Robustpear, the expedition leader, married Sod Razorskinned.  Sod is intended as the future land holder and leader of the military, assuming the noble position works properly.  Durro and Ballen, the other betrothed couple, haven't married yet - probably because Durro is too busy gathering plants most of the time to set a date.

A low wall now protects Stillspikes on three sides, and half of the fourth is bordered by the river.  The limestone block barrier won't stop a determined assault, but ought to direct casual intruders toward the open space.  Shossa  Splatteredgrips the digger has found a route through the local aquifer, so the supply of limestone is generous.  Until Stillspikes can establish a proper military, a tanner named Adam Clashesslaughters has been assigned to lead a small squad of skirmishers.  An archery range assembled near the entry region allows him to practice with his javelins, and he is also in charge of carving more out of bone for training.

The outpost liaison, a 'lady consort' named Nofalla Nagotesino, is still hanging around for some reason.  Hopefully she'll leave before the next caravan arrives.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50186 on: May 31, 2017, 12:14:24 am »

The solution is obvious: weresloth fortress!  Weresloth is truth.  Weresloth is healing.  Weresloth is life.  Purge the blasphemers who reject the blessings of wereslothdom!  Only when all have embraced the weresloth can true peace be attained.

Turtle up whenever there's a siege, wait until their special time of the month, pull lever to unlock the fort, and wait for the fun.

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50187 on: May 31, 2017, 05:47:16 am »

Going through my artifact list, looking at all of the books my dorfs have authored, notice that one codex is marked as having a confirmed kill against a troglodyte. Dwarven literature: not so fun to read, but a decent bludgeon in a pinch.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50188 on: May 31, 2017, 06:36:54 am »

Going through my artifact list, looking at all of the books my dorfs have authored, notice that one codex is marked as having a confirmed kill against a troglodyte. Dwarven literature: not so fun to read, but a decent bludgeon in a pinch.

In the real world, one of my own calculus textbooks has a spider kill to its name, so it doesn't seem that unlikely.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50189 on: May 31, 2017, 08:03:39 am »

In the real world, one of my own calculus textbooks has a spider kill to its name, so it doesn't seem that unlikely.

Thisfox has grown attached to a -cardboard bound codex-!
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.
Pages: 1 ... 3344 3345 [3346] 3347 3348 ... 3836