Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3345 3346 [3347] 3348 3349 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789504 times)

LostKitten

• Bay Watcher
  • ha ha
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50190 on: May 31, 2017, 10:30:03 am »

I walled off the hospital before in an attempt to keep the two weresloths from getting  out, but now now none of the injured dwarfs can get in. I've designated it to be removed but absolutely no one is doing anything about it. They're just standing around gormlessly waiting  for the problem to fix itself.

Honestly at this point everyone in this fort deserves to die.

Also two children are in there who are now dying of thirst. gj

Edit: holy fuck everyone turned into weresloths and we went from 40 dwarves to 10 within like 10 seconds.

Edit2: after the weresloths returned to dwarves (what was left of them anyway) the few remaining survivors made it their life's mission to kill these people, and luckily there was a caravan around, so they also had to deal with the mercenaries employed there. One marksdwarf in particular fired a bolt that landed in the grass next to a fisherdwarf, who then picked it up and started stabbing the former weresloth to death, and then went down a level and did it again. Only one weresloth remains in the form of the bookbinder i mentioned earlier, but nobody seems directly hostile to her. There are now only 5 dwarves left alive out of the 40 that we started out at. The tavern is a mess of blood and corpses. I'll probably retire this one and maybe visit it as an adventure to see how they do.

Also, does anyone else only get exclusively "fine" on their dwarf therapist thing? It seems like nothing changes it at all anymore.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:04:55 am by LostKitten »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50191 on: May 31, 2017, 01:10:37 pm »

Where to start?  Iron of Furs had a second werebeast show up right outside my drawbridge door but it got so caught up in attacking the pack of war dogs that I was able to close the bridge behind it and trap it in the trading depot when the squads arrived.  While a few civilians and troops were hurt I was able to wall them up for a month in the hospital (because I was smart enough to make individual hospital cells) and none of them turned.  They had been hurt but not bitten.

Then a third werebeast showed up the next year and three of my workers could not get into the Fortress before he tore them into pieces.  He then turned into a human and ran for it.  I didn't bother to send out a squad and then found him in one of my cage traps.  So put him in another cage in one of my empty mining tunnels, released him from it, right into the waiting arms of my First Melee Squad.  It went badly for him.

I swear, I hate weres more than vampires.   >:(

Oh, we also had another invasion of Goblins, Trolls, and Beak Dogs while I was still working on the roof of the third barn.  They didn't try to drop in this time but a few of them ended up in cage traps and also I had dug out some slots for my range squads.  They took turns shooting at available targets.  My towers are useless as I made them too high to fire down on the enemies. And they are in the wrong spots.  Still, after the siege broke we had beak dog on the menu.  From what I can tell Beak Dog are just raptors.  I think. 

And the goblins wasted a lot of time firing on the flying wildlife, so I collected a lot of iron, copper, and silver ammo.  Some armor and equipment was also picked up.  A few years of..well, same old, same old.

My temple complex is huge, my library is tiny, my tavern is crowded and I am already looking forward to the next update  I am learning just how bad many of my designs are but also learned a lot about how to improve on them.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:57:30 pm by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50192 on: May 31, 2017, 01:59:07 pm »

Going through my artifact list, looking at all of the books my dorfs have authored, notice that one codex is marked as having a confirmed kill against a troglodyte. Dwarven literature: not so fun to read, but a decent bludgeon in a pinch.

In one of my forts a visiting performance troupe spent several days killing undead wildlife with books of poetry before being overrun. Those books had longer kill lists than some of my artifact weapons.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50193 on: May 31, 2017, 03:16:43 pm »

Going through my artifact list, looking at all of the books my dorfs have authored, notice that one codex is marked as having a confirmed kill against a troglodyte. Dwarven literature: not so fun to read, but a decent bludgeon in a pinch.

In one of my forts a visiting performance troupe spent several days killing undead wildlife with books of poetry before being overrun. Those books had longer kill lists than some of my artifact weapons.
Quite the performance they made then. Pity they died, they are still dead dead right? And not Braiiiiins dead?
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50194 on: May 31, 2017, 04:43:43 pm »

Quite the performance they made then. Pity they died, they are still dead dead right? And not Braiiiiins dead?

Wellll... they are now. They did try the usual Thriller tribute show for a short while but my Blunt Weapon Art Critic Squad soon took care of them.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50195 on: May 31, 2017, 05:35:46 pm »

The upshot to this is that I now have the best idea for a dwarf bard character in my next campaign.

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50196 on: May 31, 2017, 06:00:42 pm »

Where to start?  Iron of Furs had a second werebeast show up
Designing your hospital as separate rooms can be very useful when starting for just this sort of situation: you can demolish walls or construct them as needed to keep occupants managed (although constructed block walls won't take standard engravings for some reason (ie less happiness boost) :( )

2 tile bridges are useful doors in these cases (standard doors can be broken by weres), altho lever placement is a PITA, but at least you can atomsmash someone who wanders into the wrong spot.. don't forget to queue up slab construction if you go this way!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 06:05:56 pm by Snafu »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50197 on: May 31, 2017, 06:52:57 pm »

My GCS farm is pumping out a decent amount of silk, just have to station a wrestler nearby. The three weavers are pumping out a decent amount of *silk* from it, and the dyer is churning through all our dye at an amazing rate... I've got a ton of blade weeds and dimple cups being processed for dye, though my dyer is still using them faster than I can provide... Hopefully the caravan arrives with all it's dimple spawn, dye, and cups before too long.

My jeweler's also pumped out his hundredth obsidian cabochan, these shall be used to adorn the clothing for everyone. I'll eventually start carving the amethysts, and then the more precious gems after that.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #50198 on: May 31, 2017, 08:20:45 pm »

1 Granite 302, Stillspikes.  Somewhat more exciting than the fort's first year.  Thanks to a sizable third immigrant wave and several births, the population of Stillspikes is up to 60, including 24 children - a precious resource, for the fast-growing, short-lived qarryn.  Four litters were born in early winter to Ansinda of the line of Burst, Qodun Kindle, Shryl Berry, and Armino Impale.  Also, I've implemented a new notation system for indicating the family line and romantic status of all citizens.  Ten married immigrants lost their spouse before arriving; it is unfortunate that they cannot remarry.  Most of them will eventually be making up the Heartbreak squad, and taking the front line against any attackers.

The kobolds have been a frequent, but minor, nuisance.  They have been showing up in small groups, but inevitably flee when they are spotted well clear of any valuables.  Rhesus macaques proved to be a bigger problem.  Sixteen of them have died in Stillspikes, skewered on steel javelins or beaten to death by angry qarryn.  But they managed to make off with two valuable steel weapons, and caused a great deal of disruption.  The biggest trouble was a raid by the humans of the Curses of Jade - a squad of bowmen and crossbowmen, with a snatcher scouting ahead.  Fortunately, the militia managed to reach the closest gap in the wall before the invaders arrived.  Six intruders were killed, including the snatcher, and no qarryn suffered serious injuries.  The only real damage came from a stray arrow, which struck and killed a goat in a nearby pasture.  The offending archer received a javelin through the heart from militia captain Adam Glisten, a broken neck from his wife, and a slashed throat from the third member of the militia, all in about two breaths.

The southern wall is now lined with a limestone apron along the outside, to prevent inconveniently placed trees, and much of its length is up to two levels in height.  Similar improvements are underway on the northern wall, along with quarters and training facilities for the future military.  Also, all married couples in Stillspikes now have small private bedrooms.  I've put a complete halt on fishing, with almost 1,400 fish packed into barrels and ready to eat.

Sod Razorskinned, husband of expedition leader mayor Ziram Robustpear and founder of the Razor line, has been nominated to be defender of Stillspikes.  If the outpost liaison ever leaves and makes it official, maybe I can get a proper military started.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50199 on: June 01, 2017, 09:31:02 pm »

I just found out I can use the Detail function for just about everything.  I was using it for statues and such.  But then I found out I could use it for figurines!  So now I am making action figures of my favorite Adventurers I played in Adventure mode!  I mean, already have statues of them of course.

Too bad exports just disappear and don't end up in the world.  Be funny to use Adventure mode later and found Traders trying to sell my figurines...

Collect them all!  :D
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

TheVulture

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently on a strict diet of dwarves
    • View Profile
« Reply #50200 on: June 02, 2017, 02:17:56 pm »

A human Bard visited my tavern, drank two or three cups of dwarven beer and dropped dead for unclear reasons while listening how in year 1 a dwarf necromancer became king, the worst part is that he did not bring anything of value with him
"I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a King of an infinite space"

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50201 on: June 02, 2017, 09:32:03 pm »

I sent my melee squad to explore the caverns (the marksdwarves were stationed on the top levels), and nearing the edges of the map we found a GCS. I figured that, since we had caught a male GCS on a cage before and this one was a female, we could cage it, train it and breed it, so we could just walk back into the cavern outpost. However the spider, clever bastard she was, waited for the soldiers to get far enough away to attack a straggler. By the time I told the squad to go save their companion it was too late. A single dwarf from the squad went in first and started beating the shit out of the spider, killing it and getting very wounded in the process.
The dwarf was taken to a newly dug out hospital on the cavern outpost, and as soon as she was put on the hospital bed, a regular cave spider climbed on top of her for a while until the doctors came to clean her wounds and bandage her...
...with cave spider silk bandages.
Meanwhile, I ordered the trained male GCS to be butchered just in case, so by the time our wrestler got better and got to the tavern for a snack cave spider biscuits were the specialty of the house.
I checked on her status and despite of (or maybe because of) she having her head torn open, she's quite happy about her life. She was happy about putting on quality clothes or something along thos lines. I checked her inventory to see what it was and...
...it was a cave spider silk cloak.

Needless to say, I called her "spiderbane" after that.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #50202 on: June 03, 2017, 06:16:33 pm »

I would have sacrificed the midgets to capture the spider. Also, why in blazes did you kill spider daddy?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50203 on: June 03, 2017, 09:51:43 pm »

Werelemur anarchy is not as fun as it sounds.
It's extremely !!FUN!! however.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50204 on: June 04, 2017, 05:46:24 am »

I'm liking that cavern fortress of mine. It's sufficiently dwarfy, it provides empty space and rock, wood, water, plants (harvesting), everything I need.

Also I have a thriving cloth/dyeing industry due to drowning in dimple cups and the cave spiders are filling the cavern with webs.

I walled most of the caverns, so there's only occasionally the random cavern animal getting in. My military isn't ready for FB's either, I got two, one was killed by a troglodyte (it was made of steam to be fair) I eagerly await my recently fey mooded legendary armorsmith to meet a wild GCS.

Plus I made the world have only 1 cavern layer, so the magma sea is only five or so levels under the cavern.

I didn't even embark on a volcano, what madness is this ? (There's a magma pipe up to the caverns, but not using it)
Pages: 1 ... 3345 3346 [3347] 3348 3349 ... 3835