Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3346 3347 [3348] 3349 3350 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787131 times)

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50205 on: June 04, 2017, 12:22:52 pm »

i embarked on a volcano with a tower and goblins nearby in the year 300.

in spring of 302 a necromancer siege arrived.
http://imgur.com/qSuYnBl

i had been preparing for this and so i made a reservoir of magma 10z tall inside the mountain
http://imgur.com/U9MbSUr

i waited until the zombies entered the long downward sloping hallway to pull the lever and open the floodgates.

i allowed the two necromancers to get into my fort so that my only soldier (wearing artifact leather armor and wielding a silver mace) could kill them himself so i could recover the book titled "the tower explained" as i intend to eventually make several necromancers of my own.
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #50206 on: June 05, 2017, 01:58:37 am »

i had been preparing for this and so i made a reservoir of magma 10z tall inside the mountain

i waited until the zombies entered the long downward sloping hallway to pull the lever and open the floodgates.

i allowed the two necromancers to get into my fort so that my only soldier (wearing artifact leather armor and wielding a silver mace) could kill them himself so i could recover the book titled "the tower explained" as i intend to eventually make several necromancers of my own.
Sadly I doubt that book has the secrets of life and death because it doesn't have an artifact name
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50207 on: June 05, 2017, 02:09:43 am »

A tower, the Madum (the tearers, foul cannibals) and they who broke the tribe's back, the greenmen. All will come for us. And we will break them in kind.

Began testing for my tribal mod. Finally got it to stop throwing up errors, though it was by cutting out a few troublesome critters.

Silk in abundance, which means potentially savage land. Great monsters may dwell here. They will die to clubs.

EDIT: Not even a season in and we had to have one of the warriors' legs fixed because he got kicked by a wild boar. He seemed annoyed by this kicking, because he caved int he boar's head before dropping on his face. We also have a nice pile of silk, a bridge made of willow built, and while some of the corpses rotted, we at least got some meat and will likely get eventual bone from the whole thing to trade.

Hit'em hard enough that it fucked his ankle up. Good thing I made Shamen good medics as well as good fighters.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50208 on: June 05, 2017, 05:54:41 pm »

I have had Siege Number Three And Siege Number Four.  By the Dungeon of Dens - a Goblin Civilization who has been attacking and taking over many of the nearby cities according to visiting officials from my civilization and the Elf civilization.

In the third siege a lone soldier were trapped outside and died fighting.  But also a were-gila showed up at the same time and before being killed bit a bunch of beak dogs and a troll - who all died.  I was laughing.  My were-beast plan had failed totally last time and here is a wild one showing up and killing a ton of the invaders before croaking.  The rest of the siege was normal.  We took shots at them from slots, visitors got attacked, we added to our zoo, the siege broke.

I tried to turn my were-beast barrack into a tiny airlock.  And lined the tunnel to it with stone-traps.  And put in cat bait.  Idea - next siege, open the outer bridge, let in a few foes at a time, kill them.

Fourth siege - plan fails.  The siege starts and two civilians are trapped outside and die.  The Trolls came down the tunnels first, set off the traps (all of them), my soldiers killed them, and poured up the tunnel.  Turns out my Dwarves, Humans, and Goblins are designed for tunnel fighting.  You see, I noticed during training a lot of them were either using bare hands in combat or, the range units, liked to use crossbows when sparring.  So I gave the archers secondary melee weapons, and the melee squads extra shields.  But in the end they seemed to develop skills in hand-to-hand fighting also.  And dodging.  Lots of dodging.

So picture if you will, a tunnel, one block in width and height.  All my soldiers wearing iron mail or copper breastplates or leather armor, with helms made of bone or shell, a patchwork of anything I can craft.  Almost all of them have two shields and the range troops also have melee weapons.  One of my Dwarves likes to have a crossbow in each hand and a shield in his left.

They have just butchered two trolls and, in the pitch dark, fall onto the descending goblins who are moving in the darkness in a column, one by one.  This is what the Germans called krieg der ratten - face to face, all out, no surrender, blood all over, heads and teeth flying, combat that even amazed me.  They kicked and bit and sliced with swords and bashed with maces and stabbed with spears and did a lot of dodging.  Two of them went into a trance and became ninja-buzz-saws.  By the time squads worked their way up to the entry of the tunnel and they stepped out into the winter sunlight, three out of the 50 or so soldiers were dead.  And over thirty of the enemy were dead and the siege was broken.

This is the first time I have ever let my squads charge the enemy without softening them up with bolts or war dogs or something.

And the best part is the mess is out of the way.  Nobody will be upset by it.   :D 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50209 on: June 05, 2017, 06:01:00 pm »

You know how Today mentioned in a recent post that Artifact retrievers would stay outside in relative safety, "because you people have a tendency to drop mamga on things."?  You're the reason we can't have nice things :P

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50210 on: June 07, 2017, 12:00:09 am »

New test fort, finally ironed out most of the errors. Landed on a cave, with Madum and greenmen near, and war with the forestmen by blind chance. Dunno what the local topography is like besides "lots of trees" and "Cave made of Dolomite."

Said cave has a pair of ettins inside. This is understandably a bad thing for my plainsmen, who came armed to fight little more than boars and otters - a longknife, war spear, and club.

The Ettins, Ostsi Sculptedquested and his mate Salore Climaxrobust, were evidently mid hunt for giant rats, which they drove from the cave, squashing one of them. Ever the ambitious little shits, the two Warriors Lastrat and Nithim and their Shaman  Opi grabbed thier weapons and made ready for the clash. If they could fell these beasts, they would stand to be remembered by many even beyond their tribe, once the slain beasts were found with thier weapons embedded in them.

A spring is built, and the farmers and crafter set to work while the warband moves to face the titanic men...

EDIT I: Decided on a slow approach, but the local terrorbirds are forcing constant do-overs (cripples aren't good for testing things out) because I figured armor would be a smart thing to have.

But once the militia is equipped fully, those ettins will get theirs.

EDIT II: 7 new arrivals, most of them Warriors and Hunters. Figures, just when I get the militia mostly equipped with head and body armor more people show up.

Also for some reason people refuse to drink water from the barrels like they used to. Odd.

EDIT III: Three intrusions: A forestman raised by the greenmen seeking to steal the lone child in the tribe, and two kobolds, who were ripped apart by dogs. The forestman was pursued through the woodlands by the tribe shaman before being headed off by Nithim, who promptly body-checked the would-be snatcher and jammed a spear into his skull.

Construction of a simple tavern of sorts is underway, with bones being used as makeshift windows.

So far, so good.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50211 on: June 07, 2017, 04:16:22 am »

Started a new fort and noticed almost the entire surface was skinned with obsidian, over a black sand z-layer.

Naturally, I sent my miner to retrieve as much as possible before digging any shafts.  STone swords ain't much, but they make for a quick military start when you have them from week one.

Start my main shaft & dig down several z-levels...  a black sand layer, a yellow sand layer, TWO sand layers, a red sand layer...  am I building in a sand painting?  :o ... an obsidian layer, with veins of gold!  What!?  Keep digging down...  bugger setting up the fort, I wanna know just what is here now!  I can always abandon/reclaim after all.

Twenty-five solid, gold-threaded obsidian layers before I come to more mundane material... which is laden with Hematite veins.  I know from the embark search that there's also flux stone here somewhere.

Looks like I've found myself a new project.  A natural obsidian fortress with glass roof and nothing but golden furniture, goblets and trinkets.  :)

Guess I'll have to relegate the magma to more trivial purposes...  like fortress defense or powering furnaces.
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50212 on: June 07, 2017, 05:01:58 am »

Finally managed to get a dwarven caravan in and out without being spooked so I could offer the necessary tribute. Now Tometowers is the Mountainhome. Finally.

In other news every dwarf in the fort finally has a bedroom, just waiting on green glass window production to catch up and the apartments will be complete at last. Have already begun rerouting all stone blocks towards the library. Meanwhile I'm plotting a rail line to bring magma up to the main fort at surface level.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50213 on: June 07, 2017, 05:17:52 am »

@ Eater of Vermin: Damn son, that's a hell of a find for a site

Ettins finally slain using a combination of sheer weight of numbers and attack dogs (which in the mod are fearlessly loyal friends rather than skittish yappy things.) Using DF Hack to see if I could get into the caverns, it turns out for some reason the way down has a single blockage.

Tested out my ceramic armor reaction and it..... Sort of worked? I have to get it to take the reagents properly, but it produces the desired items at least. Also quashed a minor bug preventing longspear production. For some reason it was referencing the hunting spear reagent... Also need to properly remove mules. They don't appear to be functioning as intended and I was trying to get rid of the little fuckers anyway - hill-men showed up to trade, and the mules promptly threw everything on the floor.

Opened the tavern proper, forgot to give plainsmen the ability to brew things. Gonna have to hope against hope one shows up with skill in it by random fuck-off chance. Also got small "caves" dug beneath it for sleeping and storing of personal effects for families, of which I have the base of two and two with 1 kid apiece. no visits from the bolds or greenmen since the first one suffered critical existence failure.

Time for some cavern delving...

EDIT: Alright! More bugs fixed. Water should be water now for drinking, and I may be able to get fire clay used all good and proper-like.

Shaman finally got suited up with his longbead armor, and everyone's been issued leather arm guards, following a troll attack that toppled our shrine. Wound up using a small alcove as a chamber of bones to get corpses out of sight.

And a small horde of greenmen are attacking. Hooooo boy. Likely the first fort I've lost in a looooooong time about to happen.

EDIT: Hoooooooooooooooooooooooly shit thank god goblins have the kill neutral required ethic. Worst injuries were a few cuts and a destroyed eye because the idiots didn't bring many hunters and scattered into smaller groups to chase the local terror birds.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50214 on: June 07, 2017, 03:53:19 pm »

Started a new fort and noticed almost the entire surface was skinned with obsidian, over a black sand z-layer.

Naturally, I sent my miner to retrieve as much as possible before digging any shafts.  STone swords ain't much, but they make for a quick military start when you have them from week one.

Start my main shaft & dig down several z-levels...  a black sand layer, a yellow sand layer, TWO sand layers, a red sand layer...  am I building in a sand painting?  :o ... an obsidian layer, with veins of gold!  What!?  Keep digging down...  bugger setting up the fort, I wanna know just what is here now!  I can always abandon/reclaim after all.

Twenty-five solid, gold-threaded obsidian layers before I come to more mundane material... which is laden with Hematite veins.  I know from the embark search that there's also flux stone here somewhere.

Looks like I've found myself a new project.  A natural obsidian fortress with glass roof and nothing but golden furniture, goblets and trinkets.  :)

Guess I'll have to relegate the magma to more trivial purposes...  like fortress defense or powering furnaces.

That's rad as hell. Post that worldgen :[]
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #50215 on: June 07, 2017, 07:29:38 pm »

KEA!  My latest test fort is plagued with the tiny, feathered hellspawn.  They come in swarms, grab items they shouldn't even be able to budge, and somehow fly away while so overburdened they can barely move at all.  Or they hover overhead, too afraid to land, too greedy to leave, interrupting everything my citizens try to do on the surface until my lone archer manages to kill the last of them.  I just sold 80-something individual bone javelins that were littering the region from my archer's anti-kea duties, and I think there are quite a few more stuck in various trees.

Also, some necromancer's raid arrived at the closest part of the border to my camp, in the area that's scheduled for wall building as soon as I finish the frost-proof cistern for the new well.  Three elf zombies arrived on the map, took one look at my scaly, sharp-toothed, twice dwarven size citizens, and left.  They didn't even hang around long enough to interrupt any tasks, much less wait for my militia commander to arrive.

Wish I had 25 layers of gold and obsidian.  Instead, I've got rock salt and microcline.  The only trace of metal so far is a bit of silver ore.  Good thing I brought limonite along with my founders; it may be the only iron I get for a while.

EDIT: And the necromancers are back, with friends.  Most importantly, two undead dingo women with bows and quivers of steel arrows.  Steel arrows make them a genuine problem, and I suspect they won't be immediately running away this time.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 08:20:46 pm by Demonic Gophers »
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50216 on: June 09, 2017, 01:37:58 pm »

I got a map with 300k gold.

Like, gold ore. it was a 4x4 map, if I recall.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50217 on: June 09, 2017, 07:56:55 pm »

that's pretty damn good. Means youll probably get at least that many bars if you can mine it all.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50218 on: June 10, 2017, 12:55:31 am »

Excellent river embark, slightly modified by an embark tool to put a small mountain in the middle of the embark zone to give me a river canyon fortress.  Build up defenses, and an all steel military.  Only automated traps are a pair of stone traps originally intended to keep the local alligators from hassling my Front Gate Doggo that I just haven't gotten around to deconstructing after I upgraded the front gate doggo to a front gate wyvern with the help of the elves..

After 3 years of the most dangerous threat to the fortress being waves of trogs for some reason trying to go from the fortresses undergate to the front gate only to run face first into the fortress guard's silver maces and pet giant rattlesnake, I'm getting worried.   Do goblins just not automatically attack forts anymore?  Is it possible I may be at peace with them?   That'd be a waste of some steel and be a darn shame.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50219 on: June 10, 2017, 02:59:02 am »

Nah, it's more that they may just not know you're there or have enough dudes to attack you with ready, since they have to travel there physically now (before they'd basically plonk in out of the ether so long as thier central government still existed in some capacity.)

Finally starting to sow grain fields, mainly so I can test my wicker item reactions. No new visitors from a certain green civilization for a bit, so there's that. Maybe getting thier dudes beaten to death piecemeal scared'em off..
Pages: 1 ... 3346 3347 [3348] 3349 3350 ... 3835