Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3347 3348 [3349] 3350 3351 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5841838 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50220 on: June 11, 2017, 05:51:25 am »

Praisemachines, 54

Made a statue garden and now all my dwarves are puking repeatedly on their way to and from it. Grow up, ya wimps, it's just the sun. Also some trader dude's feeling distracted by unmet needs. Siiiiiiiiiigh. Guess I'll make a library, see if that helps.

Edit: SIEGE, BOYOS

(it's not going super well for the goblins, hehe. dwarven engineering! though this friggin' speargoblin is landing Really Well for a 14-z drop)

(... it's because she's fully armored. ARGH)

Edit2, Hematite 55: More siege! A bigger one! Still just as vulnerable to the ol' bridge over a pit trick, though. And it just broke, actually, so now I can just watch them churn through as they try to run away. Tough cookies, goblinite!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 12:48:03 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50221 on: June 11, 2017, 05:00:11 pm »

I genned a new world that was perfect beyond words.  Every geological feature you could possibly imagine was available somewhere, and all races were more or less intact.  The Dwarves had a single civilization of medium power compared to all others.  The civ's name was, I kid you not, 'The Wall of Targets'  :'(  I deleted the save, the Legends info, and seed information, then curled up in my lair and cried for a bit.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50222 on: June 11, 2017, 06:30:38 pm »

Began work on a wall, and now I know I need to squash some bugs for restoring "ancient" armor and weapons (really just resharpening and adding new fittings/grips to old bronze equipment,) and need to check if I added the right reaction class to the right plants... Also need to figure out how to get my rockplat armor reactions to properly need fire clay.

Gate's built, and the arrival of two Brainmen (the only ones who can do engineering and metallurgy with any kind of actual aptitude,) means I can start trying to tame Terrorbirds, and took on some mercs in the form of a spearman and two hill-man hunters.

I've also gotta estore stone and such to its natural state, so there's actual ore for me to get, as Mr. Stal saw fit to nullify basically everything in regards to actual veins of ore...

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50223 on: June 13, 2017, 07:43:45 am »

Well, another were-beast attack and one of my military dwarves, Akgoskilrud, was trapped outside hauling fruit.  Once activated I decided, the heck with it, the front bridge was staying open and my squads were going out to help kill the were-beast.  A were-kangaroo - the worst of the were-beasts!  Akgoskilrud was not carrying his weapon but he had a iron shield and a copper shield.  The combat was, for the most part, amazing.  Akgoskilrud dodged, bit, kicked, and bashed with his shields.  He dodged and parried everything the were-beast threw at him.

But then it wounded one of his arms and a shield dropped.  Then his other arm and his other shield dropped.  Then it treated him like a dog treats a rat.  By the time the other squads showed up and killed the fell beast poor Akgoskilrud was more blood and gore than Dwarf.

He survived.  We happen to have one of the most modern and well shocked hospitals in the world.  No, I mean it.   A well with a two-level water tank.   Lots of soap.  And each cell has a drawbridge for a door. 

After a few days of treatment and a ton of tread and bandages, the bridge was closed.

Sadly, he had been infected. He was a were.  Once he turned back into a Dwarf, and allowed to pick up equipment, he was placed in the were-airlock, which I now treat as the back-door/Goblin killing tunnel.

The next time the Goblins show up the outer-bridge will be opened and they will be invited to navigate the trap filled tunnel to get to him.  Him waiting with armor and weapons.  To die like a Dwarf, surrounded by his dead foes and coated in their blood.  I will not wait for him to become a were-beast but let him die as a warrior could.

And when he is overwhelmed and has taken many enemies with him, when the Goblins think they have won then the outer-bridge will be closed, the inner one opened, and my squads will flood into the chamber to do MORE killing. 

My next siege will be glorious.   :D

Also, my fear of were-beats is decreasing slightly.  Something about a lone Dwarf beating the crap out of a were-creature with nothing but shields somehow stirs the heart.  Sure, he lost in the end, but for a dozen or so pages of combat he was an untouched shield-ninja! 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:46:12 am by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

theIndiekid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50224 on: June 13, 2017, 10:06:41 pm »

I just got started on kind of a weird fort. It's year two, and there's been a few migrant waves, and a few deaths. The fort is by the ocean, in a haunted desert. It is called Butcherfield the Dead Dread.

Here's the weird part: Everyone keeps bringing their kids along.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Butcherfield the Dead Dread? Honey, I just found tha purfect place ta raise tha little blighters!"

First wave was just a family, a blacksmith and an engineer, and five kids. First big wave is ~40 dorfs, of which about half were children.

The trend has continued, but seeing as two dorfs have already gone nuts, and a werebeast injured half the military which is, as I type, being walled into the hospital, I hope they toughen up by the time they grow up.

Any advice?
Excellent, I shall plan out the massacring of the populace train my Dwarf Fortress skills.
I bet half of the DF player's first thought upon reading this is 'Where's the difference?'.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50225 on: June 13, 2017, 11:20:18 pm »

I just got started on kind of a weird fort. It's year two, and there's been a few migrant waves, and a few deaths. The fort is by the ocean, in a haunted desert. It is called Butcherfield the Dead Dread.

Here's the weird part: Everyone keeps bringing their kids along.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Butcherfield the Dead Dread? Honey, I just found tha purfect place ta raise tha little blighters!"

First wave was just a family, a blacksmith and an engineer, and five kids. First big wave is ~40 dorfs, of which about half were children.

The trend has continued, but seeing as two dorfs have already gone nuts, and a werebeast injured half the military which is, as I type, being walled into the hospital, I hope they toughen up by the time they grow up.

Any advice?
I would use the kids for farming hauling labor, by turning off the Food Hauling labor for most of the dwarfs (keep about 25% of the adult dwarfs, dwarfs that will not be stuck in a workshop with a 'r'epeat order, with food hauling on. They will be needed to haul other foods around like butchery meats). Then put a barracks within about 8 tiles of the dining/meeting area. The kids that are within sight range of training dwarfs can increase their observer skill, which might make them more effective at other activities later.

Besides that, you'll need more food and booze, and guard dogs to block entrances then the goblins try to steal them, a few toys, and some years.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

theIndiekid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50226 on: June 14, 2017, 03:55:52 am »

I would use the kids for farming hauling labor, by turning off the Food Hauling labor for most of the dwarfs (keep about 25% of the adult dwarfs, dwarfs that will not be stuck in a workshop with a 'r'epeat order, with food hauling on. They will be needed to haul other foods around like butchery meats). Then put a barracks within about 8 tiles of the dining/meeting area. The kids that are within sight range of training dwarfs can increase their observer skill, which might make them more effective at other activities later.

Besides that, you'll need more food and booze, and guard dogs to block entrances then the goblins try to steal them, a few toys, and some years.

Thanks for the tips. However, it is too late.

The kids drank all the booze. Then they started beating up on their parents, and disturbing their rest and sleep.

Which wouldn't be much of a problem if half the kids weren't mighty and strong, crippling their parents, and as an added bonus, consisting of more than half the fort population at its height. My only source of water was down a mile of rock, so it took an eternity to hydrate and clean just one patient. Then another kid would bother someone. Then everyone started dying.
Excellent, I shall plan out the massacring of the populace train my Dwarf Fortress skills.
I bet half of the DF player's first thought upon reading this is 'Where's the difference?'.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50227 on: June 15, 2017, 12:17:28 am »

I finally got Dwarf Therapist, a graphics pack, and ponyfort all working together on the latest version

Just starting out, decided I'm going to floor off the (non-farming) soil layers I use with wooden floors

All stone will be smoothed + engraved

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #50228 on: June 17, 2017, 10:34:17 am »

Crimsontomb pyramid project, after 4 years of shoveling sand and leveling hills, has begun!

The village supporting the laborers is almost self-sufficient, but its hard to prosper here. All we have is granite, tin, some gems and enough sand for glass to last us forever.

Visits from The Epidemic Necro-Devil are intensifying, though. Darn goblins are murdering my laborers! Who will be hauling bricks 24/7 if all dorfs die? I need to expand my speardorf corps...
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50229 on: June 17, 2017, 11:00:31 am »

.. All we have is granite, tin, some gems and enough sand for glass to last us forever.

Visits from The Epidemic Necro-Devil are intensifying, though. Darn goblins are murdering my laborers!...
But but but... they are bringing copper so you can make bronze!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50230 on: June 17, 2017, 11:36:36 am »

Thanks for the tips. However, it is too late.

The kids drank all the booze. Then they started beating up on their parents, and disturbing their rest and sleep.

Which wouldn't be much of a problem if half the kids weren't mighty and strong, crippling their parents, and as an added bonus, consisting of more than half the fort population at its height. My only source of water was down a mile of rock, so it took an eternity to hydrate and clean just one patient. Then another kid would bother someone. Then everyone started dying.

Look at it this way:

if any of the kids reach adulthood, they can be drafted and put their bad-ness to use as a bad-ass.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50231 on: June 17, 2017, 07:09:50 pm »

The Fortress of Ceilingdwelling has been founded.

The challenge: Build my first Surface fort.

We have dug out one chamber 2 levels below the surface for pet storage, and underground clay/sand gathering locations.

Rhinocereses have been spotted.

WE WILL HAVE WAR RHINOS, DAMN YOU!

However, we do not have access to stone...an aquifer is blocking our path. Therefore, we have declared Iron a major resource, and have devoted our glassworks to pumping out glass blocks and windows, as opposed to the pots it is currently pumping out for our brewer. The clay and sand gathering areas will be connected to the surface in the new Smeltery, and we will be working our ironsmith hard on the magic of bar multiplication......so that we can produce as many iron mechanisms as possible.

Then, once cage traps are in place and loaded, we shall build a bridge across one of the river, in the hopes of catching rhinos and possibly one of the Giant Alligators that made us nervous when we saw them in the distance.

....yes.....an army of Rhinocereses, Giant Alligators and, if we're lucky, GIANT Rhinos and elephants and GIANT Elephants.

EDIT: daaaaaaamn. one giant rhino could feed most forts for like a year.

Question: Do Giant Alligators detect intruders like dogs do? Because if so, It would be fun to chain up a series of Giant Alligators in/near the entrance to the fort.

EDIT 2: Rhinos have left, but a 2-deep cage trap network is being assembled. Hopefully the Giant Cardinals will stick around until, and only until, the cage network, the bridge, and the network on the other side is completed.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 07:38:16 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50232 on: June 18, 2017, 08:59:34 am »

I was playing the game, minding my own business, kind of bored, when I noticed the red C of combat.  It was the Forgotten Beast of whatever, a winged creature of ash. 

It got into my tunnels, past the traps, and ran into one of my Dwarves who happened to be part of the military, hauling on his time off, and with a weapon on his person.  Less then half-a-page of combat.  Off came a wing and then the Dwarf smashed the main body with one blow.  Then he went on his way.  In fact the combat was over by the time I had noticed the C.

So I found a pile of ash and a wing in one of the stairways.  And the Dwarf went back to business, totally unharmed.  That was the shortest fight against a Forgotten Beast I have ever had in one of my games.  Even the one made out of vomit lasted longer.

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50233 on: June 18, 2017, 01:26:28 pm »

I was playing the game, minding my own business, kind of bored, when I noticed the red C of combat.  It was the Forgotten Beast of whatever, a winged creature of ash. 

It got into my tunnels, past the traps, and ran into one of my Dwarves who happened to be part of the military, hauling on his time off, and with a weapon on his person.  Less then half-a-page of combat.  Off came a wing and then the Dwarf smashed the main body with one blow.  Then he went on his way.  In fact the combat was over by the time I had noticed the C.

So I found a pile of ash and a wing in one of the stairways.  And the Dwarf went back to business, totally unharmed.  That was the shortest fight against a Forgotten Beast I have ever had in one of my games.  Even the one made out of vomit lasted longer.

It's fully logical that ash beasts result in short fights. "The Forgotten Beast has come! A winged creature of ash!"

*tap*

*flump*

"The Forgotten Beast of Ash has been slain!"

Now, if it was made of ash wood, however...
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50234 on: June 18, 2017, 02:30:08 pm »

Decided to make a hospital with an underground cistern, decided to multilayer the operation so that the river would flood the soon to be farms then channel the water down below draining the newly created fields (using a series of floodgates) and thus filling the hospitals cistern... Well so I thought. Farms flooded nicely at 2-3 then drained them... WAAAYYY down below the aqueducts were 7/7 and filled the cistern and never drained, they just plugged up. Fields did not drain properly at all so I figured what the heck, make a second large cistern and drain the excess... Well when that poor, poor unknowing dwarf made the hole to fill that new cistern... BOOM! The whole cistern and room filled INSTANTLY 7/7 and he drowned. Now making a third, HUGE cistern, going to see if that works, if not... Glitched and abandon. They were doing so well too... Meanwhile dwarf digger #2 is busy and will find out shortly if this ends well or... Well you know the rest.
Pages: 1 ... 3347 3348 [3349] 3350 3351 ... 3836