Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3349 3350 [3351] 3352 3353 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787568 times)

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50250 on: June 19, 2017, 07:03:29 pm »

That's because they need wood burning, not furnace operating enabled to make charcoal.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50251 on: June 19, 2017, 08:08:52 pm »

That's because they need wood burning, not furnace operating enabled to make charcoal.

This is the most intuitive game

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50252 on: June 19, 2017, 08:58:57 pm »

Wood burning seems a weird individual labor, with only two jobs, and getting it's own workshop.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50253 on: June 19, 2017, 09:37:06 pm »

Next up, the thing that is happening currently - merchants from my civ came, but no trading took place - why? They were unpacking for the entire duration of their stay. I have no idea why.

Most likely one of the Merchants got caught somewhere, and couldn't get to the Depot - I've had it to me before (Merchant got stuck in a lake)
I have seen a merchant get caught on water when ice melted. The elf was standing on the water and the pack animal was standing on land, and they were stuck until a floor was built under the elf. Another time, a wagon was in a 3-wide hall and got stuck with one edge of the wagon in the wall. Water, 1/7 and 2/7, got into the hall and the wagon displaced into the wall, and was stuck until the wall was dug out.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50254 on: June 19, 2017, 11:34:35 pm »

Ah dwarf fortress, where water causally breaks physics....

On topic: I FINALLY got my animal trainers to tame the baby animals, only for some stuff in the kitchen to rot (I ran out of room in food stockpiles and didn't realize it) and that triggered the military to start beating the shit out of everyone (including eachother) causing my population to go from 120 to at the end 62 (although I actually lost more then 58 dwarves, as I was in the middle of a migrant wave when they started killing each other) the oddest part is they weren't beserk or tantruming or anything, the military just deicded to beat the shit out of everyone causing others to do so (the worst part is, just to see what would happen I revived everyone.... and then they all killed each other again, causing me to revive just the non-military dwarves, causing the same result but slower and with more death, at which point I stopped trying) I went from 4 full squads of steel armored mostly legendary military dwarves to one full squad of steel equipped dwarves of which half were highly skilled and the other half were random dwarves I assigned to fill space

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #50255 on: June 20, 2017, 03:04:35 am »

Next up, the thing that is happening currently - merchants from my civ came, but no trading took place - why? They were unpacking for the entire duration of their stay. I have no idea why.

Most likely one of the Merchants got caught somewhere, and couldn't get to the Depot - I've had it to me before (Merchant got stuck in a lake)
I have seen a merchant get caught on water when ice melted. The elf was standing on the water and the pack animal was standing on land, and they were stuck until a floor was built under the elf. Another time, a wagon was in a 3-wide hall and got stuck with one edge of the wagon in the wall. Water, 1/7 and 2/7, got into the hall and the wagon displaced into the wall, and was stuck until the wall was dug out.
That makes sense - I wonder what else happened, cause I noticed some wagons in the "dead" list, and a pile of goods on the grass.

Also, another forgotten beast showed up, a cobra with lidless eyes and a single horn. It came from the second cavern layer, which currently is the only layer which I haven't explored yet. It wandered off into an unexplored area and never came back - what did come back was a named core hound with several wounds - pretty self-explanatory as to what happened. Still, it's the third time a cavern critter managed to kill off a forgotten beast in my fort.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50256 on: June 20, 2017, 03:06:54 am »

That makes sense - I wonder what else happened, cause I noticed some wagons in the "dead" list, and a pile of goods on the grass.

Also, another forgotten beast showed up, a cobra with lidless eyes and a single horn. It came from the second cavern layer, which currently is the only layer which I haven't explored yet. It wandered off into an unexplored area and never came back - what did come back was a named core hound with several wounds - pretty self-explanatory as to what happened. Still, it's the third time a cavern critter managed to kill off a forgotten beast in my fort.

Your traders got attacked by something or scared by something, and when the animals panicked with them, the wagon dies, dropping the goods on the ground.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50257 on: June 20, 2017, 03:32:47 am »

Window production finally caught up. At long last the apartment towers are finished. Every dwarf in the fort has their own bed.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The golden statues on top all depict important figures from our civ.

I've also successfully built and used my first ever magma minecart filler, now I just need to figure out tracks well enough to dump it into forge supplying pools...
While I was at it I threw all of the crutches in the fort into the filler and incinerated them. Replaced them with shiny new platinum crutches. Now the multiple militia dwarves running around with crutches can hit their enemies with something remotely useful.

Library is mostly finished, just needs more books. Current total: None.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50258 on: June 20, 2017, 03:42:11 am »

Decided to go into the glass industry for once, going to be working mostly with green glass as this place has close to no trees and haven't found any rock crystal yet... We've got tons of tetrahydrite and gold nuggets, selling lots of crafts, mainly large gold gems encrusted with green zircon and obsidian. Silver and copper is being sent to the military industry, uniforms shall consist of leather armour leggings high boots and gloves, copper mail and helm, a wooden shield, and either a silver hammer or copper axe. Steel and iron are being put aside for when my weapon and armour smiths are better, and bronze is slowly being used to upgrade my cutting weapons. Obsidian blocks are being pumped out rather fast, by two masons next to a little pile with six wheelbarrows, so we can get construction of the town going fast. Streets shall be granite, and floors mostly obsidian, though the noble suite shall have golden flooring. Green glass for most windows, and clear glass for the nobles and smiths.

EDIT: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

EDIT: We found candy boys! Time to do nothing with it for five years as people practice on copper! Though there will be a single candy large gem decked out in everything expensive.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:09:52 am by StagnantSoul »
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50259 on: June 20, 2017, 07:33:51 am »

Tried my first embark in a terrifying biome near tower. Other than that, it's a lovely location with fresh water, trees and a selection of minerals. The assorted undead weren't too bad, thanks to the primitive military, that is, until the undead ogres came around. The brave dorfs couldn't even wall themselves in fast enough, so the settlement crumbled to dust.

Two weeks later another band of 7 set out to reclaim this armokforsaken place. Same story... bloody ogres were still around and killed everybody while a light rain of goblin blood set the ambiance.

Shortly after, another reclaim party was sent out and this time everything seemed to go well, partially thanks to 6 of them actually knowing how to fight and bringing silver war hammers and bronze axes. Sadly, one of the dogs got killed, got revived, got his head cut off and the head revived. What the hell >:( Now 6 military dwarves are pounding it with axes and hammers for weeks. Everybody is tired, the farmer without any fighting skills got killed by something else (I think, one of the former settlers) and I don't have much hope to ever settle successfully in this location.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50260 on: June 20, 2017, 08:53:24 am »

So far this fort's been uneventful, since the king took a bath in lava and we discovered candy due to him getting vision of it as he sank. Iron has been shipped in by the ton, so my military dwarves have iron weapons, mail shirts, and helms, to go with their leather layers and wooden shield. They're currently spending a lot of time in the barracks if they're not chasing down warthogs or jaguars, learning to dodge apparently. The two-story tavern's in full swing, vomit covered floors and all. Everyone's enjoying the masterwork obsidian statues and silver chalices, as well as the exceptional beds. The single candy large gem has been encrusted with an image of itself in emerald, spikes of gold and silver, and an image of it's creator in obsidian, as well as general bands of all the gems I've imported. Going to be adding some platinum spikes before too long. This gem accounts for a third of my fortresses wealth, and I'm almost certain it's what got us elected to a barony.

EDIT: So uhh... Danger rooms don't work so well with just leather armour... Thankfully nobody's dead, but the entire squad is in the hospital recovering.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:27:31 am by StagnantSoul »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50261 on: June 20, 2017, 09:58:17 am »

43.05 ones get twisting even with metal armour, I think.
You can still quickly danger-room dodging by bouncing lowest roller speed minecarts and quickly boost armor user/fighter by attacking wildlife with dual wooden shields while wearing armour. Going to need an undead hair or something to boost weapon skills, though.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50262 on: June 20, 2017, 10:49:16 am »

Shortly after, another reclaim party was sent out and this time everything seemed to go well, partially thanks to 6 of them actually knowing how to fight and bringing silver war hammers and bronze axes. Sadly, one of the dogs got killed, got revived, got his head cut off and the head revived. What the hell >:( Now 6 military dwarves are pounding it with axes and hammers for weeks. Everybody is tired, the farmer without any fighting skills got killed by something else (I think, one of the former settlers) and I don't have much hope to ever settle successfully in this location.

DFHack can be used to kill the heads, but I recommend you use an adventurer to clear out the site before you try to reclaim again.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50263 on: June 20, 2017, 03:02:18 pm »

Wood burning seems a weird individual labor, with only two jobs, and getting it's own workshop.

Well, in DF it's established that wood burning and smelting require different temperatures/conditions because you can't smelt ore with wood. So it'd make sense that different dwarves and different equipment are needed to make said temperatures/conditions.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50264 on: June 20, 2017, 06:27:11 pm »

I have an interesting royal family in the only dwarf civ in my world. There have been 5 generations along the same bloodline, and each one was slain by the same titan. Also, all but two of the 10-member pantheon are female, and all but one of the rulers were female as well. A matriarchal society.

The first King lost multiple duels to OME DEATHCAVERN, the titan in question. He eventually came to worship it before it slew him.

One was a necromancer, and that one rescued her daughter and heir from goblin kidnapping. Slain by the titan that killed her father.

One was a writer and penned a number of original works before the titan got them.

The most recent has been ruler for less than a year. Cilob is the only one with any martial training, perhaps they will slay the titan.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 3349 3350 [3351] 3352 3353 ... 3835