Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3350 3351 [3352] 3353 3354 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787345 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50265 on: June 20, 2017, 10:28:34 pm »

Managed to trap a draconian diplomat in the barons household... He's currently in the statue garden, admiring the obsidian and golden busts of the baron. Currently deciding whether I want to kill him to declare war on the Draconians... They're a strong species, access to steel, natural fighters, on average bigger than a human, some of their species can breathe fire, some are huge, some can use poison that causes extreme pain... More fun than killing giant snails, however.

In more mundane news, we have a whole troop of mercenaries now, five humans, a draconian, a dwarf from my fortress, and three dwarven mercenaries. Not sure why, but letting these guys have at the iron armour before my own home grown squad gets any. Will also be constructing a saferoom that'll have two drawbridges involved, that'll let us go into the caverns using an airlock system. Gotta get my two squads training on something other than sparring sessions and slugs.

EDIT: Let him and his guards go actually, decided against it. A grizzly bear man wandered in, petitioned to stay as a soldier... gladly accepted him in. He's currently with the champions squad, firing out some armour for him. Giving him the platinum warhammer artifact we've got, hopefully he'll squish a lot of people. Got him training in the barracks pretty fast though, his mood was dropping rapidly talking to people he finds annoying in the tavern.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 01:17:25 am by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50266 on: June 21, 2017, 09:59:07 am »

I have an interesting royal family in the only dwarf civ in my world. There have been 5 generations along the same bloodline, and each one was slain by the same titan. Also, all but two of the 10-member pantheon are female, and all but one of the rulers were female as well. A matriarchal society.

The first King lost multiple duels to OME DEATHCAVERN, the titan in question. He eventually came to worship it before it slew him.

One was a necromancer, and that one rescued her daughter and heir from goblin kidnapping. Slain by the titan that killed her father.

One was a writer and penned a number of original works before the titan got them.

The most recent has been ruler for less than a year. Cilob is the only one with any martial training, perhaps they will slay the titan.

Why do I want this to be an anime.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50267 on: June 22, 2017, 04:26:42 pm »

I have an interesting royal family in the only dwarf civ in my world. There have been 5 generations along the same bloodline, and each one was slain by the same titan. Also, all but two of the 10-member pantheon are female, and all but one of the rulers were female as well. A matriarchal society.

The first King lost multiple duels to OME DEATHCAVERN, the titan in question. He eventually came to worship it before it slew him.

One was a necromancer, and that one rescued her daughter and heir from goblin kidnapping. Slain by the titan that killed her father.

One was a writer and penned a number of original works before the titan got them.

The most recent has been ruler for less than a year. Cilob is the only one with any martial training, perhaps they will slay the titan.

Why do I want this to be an anime.

I imagine it to be some kind of curse due to the First King's worship rituals. Now his family is bound to slay the titan.

The goal is to move the current Queen to my fort, and depending on what this titan is like to train her to slay it or maybe just stay inside forever who knows we will see.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50268 on: June 22, 2017, 04:50:09 pm »

I imagine it to be some kind of curse due to the First King's worship rituals. Now his family is bound to slay the titan.

The goal is to move the current Queen to my fort, and depending on what this titan is like to train her to slay it or maybe just stay inside forever who knows we will see.

What actually is the titan out of curiosity? Is it a puny one made of flesh or snow, or a godlike abomination made of diamond or steel?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50269 on: June 22, 2017, 05:08:53 pm »

What actually is the titan out of curiosity? Is it a puny one made of flesh or snow, or a godlike abomination made of diamond or steel?

Legends Viewer does not say. Is there a way to check that I am unaware of? I just sort of checked out of curiosity during my recent fort in a newly genned world. I did go to look at his LV profile and he apparently ate all the ones who failed to kill him.

EDIT: Also, this dwarf civ has three wars going on at the same time. They all started in the year 91, the same year that worldgen ended and my fort began. Odd.

Also there are a disproportionate number of hare men in this dwarven civ. I've seen a number of references to them in the military and as apprentices to various dwarves.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:18:46 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50270 on: June 22, 2017, 05:15:32 pm »

Legends Viewer does not say. Is there a way to check that I am unaware of? I just sort of checked out of curiosity during my recent fort in a newly genned world. I did go to look at his LV profile and he apparently ate all the ones who failed to kill him.

Vanilla legends tell you exactly what the titan or forgotten beast is.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50271 on: June 22, 2017, 05:21:46 pm »

Vanilla legends tell you exactly what the titan or forgotten beast is.

Yep, looks like it is a forgotten beast. I was mistaken. But all this says is that it is in fact a forgotten beast. I have whichever one comes in the current pack. Let me see what I'm doing wrong here...

Yeah I got nuthin'. It seems like the most recent version and I certainly haven't modified it.

It's a forgotten beast. I thought/hoped it was a titan, a specific FB is way less likely to show up at my fort (though it is a smaller sized world).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:46:08 pm by Dunamisdeos »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #50272 on: June 22, 2017, 08:43:31 pm »

It's a forgotten beast. I thought/hoped it was a titan, a specific FB is way less likely to show up at my fort (though it is a smaller sized world).
Actually, it might. Creatures can attack your fort no matter where they come from. Bastiongate killed or captured every single FB in the world.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50273 on: June 22, 2017, 09:26:31 pm »

Okay. But what is it? A giant fire breathing bunny? A web slinging toad? A diamond dog?

Sorry. I need this information. It's important to me. And I might be thinking of drawing it.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50274 on: June 23, 2017, 12:43:47 am »

so on my first fortress I just played for about 3 hours and got two days done because fps death

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #50275 on: June 23, 2017, 01:52:58 am »

My current fort was founded to test the effects of embarking near a retired fort of an enemy civ - I want to see if I get invaders from my old fort.  Instead, I've gotten a night creature (which ran around the map screaming in terror before getting caught and beaten to death), a necromancer attack (squashed by my first melee squad), and most recently, a werearmadillo. The First Talons were right on hand, and immediately started taking the creature apart.  But a recently arrived jeweler saw the fighting and decided to 'help'.  She pushed her way in front of two armored soldiers, forcing them to go around her in order to keep attacking.  She gave the beast a few minor bruises.  And right before it bled to death from multiple severed limbs, she got bitten.  So now I've got an expert gem cutter and gem setter with a werearmadillo infection, locked in a little wooden hut on the hillside and given the custom profession of 'idiot werebait'.

I defined her hut as part of the library and made her a scholar, so she'd have something to do in there.  She's currently 'pondering bandages' - perhaps inspired by her recent experiences with wound dressing.

I think I need to prioritize crossbows and quivers for most of my civilians... not so much to make them more dangerous, as to keep them from charging when they decide to join a fight.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50276 on: June 23, 2017, 12:43:18 pm »

Okay. But what is it? A giant fire breathing bunny? A web slinging toad? A diamond dog?

Sorry. I need this information. It's important to me. And I might be thinking of drawing it.

No like, it is super important to me too. But my legends only describes it as a forgotten beast. Dunno.

I hope it will show up to the fort. This is a megaproject fort so it should go on for some time.

I wonder if I could capture it and include it somehow in my project?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50277 on: June 23, 2017, 03:00:35 pm »

So, I killed all my dwarves with DFhack (because I had like 1 fps and it crashed when the season tried to change) and when I reclaimed, now there's smoke everywhere for no reason whatsoever (I checked, there's no fire anywhere on the map that's visible and it's a bunch of random spots where there were corpses)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50278 on: June 23, 2017, 03:17:19 pm »

So, I killed all my dwarves with DFhack (because I had like 1 fps and it crashed when the season tried to change) and when I reclaimed, now there's smoke everywhere for no reason whatsoever (I checked, there's no fire anywhere on the map that's visible and it's a bunch of random spots where there were corpses)

Did you use the DFhack command "exterminate"? Because that makes them literally disappear in a puff of smoke.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50279 on: June 23, 2017, 03:18:16 pm »

That would explain it then.... is there a way I can use DFhack to remove smoke?
Pages: 1 ... 3350 3351 [3352] 3353 3354 ... 3835