Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3352 3353 [3354] 3355 3356 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787216 times)

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50295 on: June 27, 2017, 12:27:31 pm »

So during a routine goblin siege, I noticed one of my 2 legendary Weaponsmiths was in a fey mood, with three shiny blue wafers in his forge. Grateful for fresh live fire targets for my all female scholar Xbow squad, I finish of the siege and wait with baited breath for Sigun's glorious culmination of his life's work.

And then this:

My "F*** YOU SIGUN!" resounded through the neighborhood and startled my wife. Keep in mind, this is after a candy ring, a candy amulet, AND a candy mace. At first, Sigun was going to die from magma, but then I thought of a better plan. Burrow him in, lock him off, and build an arena. He has until I finish my inn to forge his own armor, and train himself. The inn's opening ceremony will be one on one gladiatorial combat with the previous live-fire targets, culminating in a battle with my captured dragon. If he lives, then he will have proved his creations worth. If not, well, he should have made something useful. Either way, I'm sure it will provide excellent entertainment for the opening festivities.

That is the perfect weapon for a hammerer!  Instead of "*BONK*" you get "*dink*".
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50296 on: June 27, 2017, 12:56:05 pm »

Give to anyone who needs hammer training and make em' fight an unarmed goblin. Lots of xp.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50297 on: June 27, 2017, 03:54:16 pm »

Give to anyone who needs hammer training and make em' fight an unarmed goblin. Lots of xp.

Are you kidding me he has a Colosseum where the gladiators forge their own weapons and test them in combat. Way better than practicality.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50298 on: June 27, 2017, 04:06:36 pm »

Are you kidding me he has a Colosseum where the gladiators forge their own weapons and test them in combat. Way better than practicality.

+1
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50299 on: June 28, 2017, 04:57:20 pm »

Here is a smoke-removal script, for anyone else who was following the smoke discussion on the last page and was interested.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50300 on: June 28, 2017, 05:31:35 pm »

Currently I am working on my first above-ground fortress. Nothing much has happened yet, save for a few pesky giant vultures. The ultimate goal is to slay the forest titan known as HawkWasps that is currently ruling this world. This will be fun.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50301 on: June 29, 2017, 07:01:39 pm »

I embarked on an evil biome, hid unground and watched all the unholy soot pass by without a care.

Built up a bit, then in summer some migrants arrive.  And unholy soot spawns on top of them.

They drowsily climb down the hatch, and I see they're all rotting and blind.
My surgeon leaps in to action, trying to remove the rot.

A bit later the first one dies to blood loss.  Oh well surgeon, you tried.
Second one lasts a bit longer, dies of blood loss.
Third one..I look and the surgeon is now a master surgeon.
The patient dies still but it takes a while.

Last one now.  He's on the operating table for ages, the surgeon is now a legendary surgeon.  Legendary 2.  Legendary 3. 

I noticed e the rot in the patients body is minor rot instead of advanced.  Is is possible?
No, it jumps back up to moderate.

I have a look in df hack, it says " permanent necrosis power 100"
Oh well!

Eventually the last migrant dies of blood loss.  Im not sure if the syndrome goes away if the unholy.soot is.washed off, but I think amputation is the only way.

Pets keep trailing around rotten feet.   Im making lots of leather boots and gloves now.  Well see how long.we last.
At least seiges would be fun.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50302 on: June 29, 2017, 07:52:43 pm »

I embarked on an evil biome, hid unground and watched all the unholy soot pass by without a care.

Built up a bit, then in summer some migrants arrive.  And unholy soot spawns on top of them.

They drowsily climb down the hatch, and I see they're all rotting and blind.
My surgeon leaps in to action, trying to remove the rot.

A bit later the first one dies to blood loss.  Oh well surgeon, you tried.
Second one lasts a bit longer, dies of blood loss.
Third one..I look and the surgeon is now a master surgeon.
The patient dies still but it takes a while.

Last one now.  He's on the operating table for ages, the surgeon is now a legendary surgeon.  Legendary 2.  Legendary 3. 

I noticed e the rot in the patients body is minor rot instead of advanced.  Is is possible?
No, it jumps back up to moderate.

I have a look in df hack, it says " permanent necrosis power 100"
Oh well!

Eventually the last migrant dies of blood loss.  Im not sure if the syndrome goes away if the unholy.soot is.washed off, but I think amputation is the only way.

Pets keep trailing around rotten feet.   Im making lots of leather boots and gloves now.  Well see how long.we last.
At least seiges would be fun.

Well that's terrible.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50303 on: June 29, 2017, 10:11:18 pm »

Rotting clouds. I have less harmful ones in my current embark. If your surgeon manages to exercise all rot, the dwarf will be healthy again, barring infection.

As for sieges, the first time one gets caught, all their weapons will be coated. Unfortunately, I believe the effect is tad too slow and local to truly affect melee combat, though a single rotting wound can cause a fatal infection if you wait a bit.

A more interesting question might be: If a dwarf eats dust-coated food, what rots? I know they may least pull a recover wounded request on this...

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50304 on: June 29, 2017, 10:31:14 pm »

It's a forgotten beast. I thought/hoped it was a titan, a specific FB is way less likely to show up at my fort (though it is a smaller sized world).
Actually, it might. Creatures can attack your fort no matter where they come from. Bastiongate killed or captured every single FB in the world.

I.......

have a sudden need to make a fort whose sole purpose is to create a zoo (complete with gem or glass windows) of as many megabeasts, Forgotten Beasts, etc as possible. Stated goal is to capture: Killing (or allowing) even a single (on-Fortress map) Forgotten Beast is considered a tragedy.

Dwarves are replaceable. Forgotten Beasts are not.

no, not just Mega/FB Zoo.

ALL OF THE THINGS zoo.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If this works, I will nominate this for the hall of legends. PM me if you make a thread.
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50305 on: June 29, 2017, 10:37:35 pm »

It's a forgotten beast. I thought/hoped it was a titan, a specific FB is way less likely to show up at my fort (though it is a smaller sized world).
Actually, it might. Creatures can attack your fort no matter where they come from. Bastiongate killed or captured every single FB in the world.

I.......

have a sudden need to make a fort whose sole purpose is to create a zoo (complete with gem or glass windows) of as many megabeasts, Forgotten Beasts, etc as possible. Stated goal is to capture: Killing (or allowing) even a single (on-Fortress map) Forgotten Beast is considered a tragedy.

Dwarves are replaceable. Forgotten Beasts are not.

no, not just Mega/FB Zoo.

ALL OF THE THINGS zoo.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Construct a tavern around the containment cells, and create a system that periodically feeds a captured goblin invader to a randomly selected beast. Surround the containment cells with fortifications and windows, so that the visitors can see the beasts but the beasts can't shoot anything at the visitors. I'd also vote for hall of legends if this gets built. Once you have captured every beast in the world, pit them all together in an epic arena battle and murder the survivors, so that there are no more mythical abominations to haunt the world.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:40:35 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50306 on: June 29, 2017, 11:32:47 pm »

Construct a tavern around the containment cells, and create a system that periodically feeds a captured goblin invader to a randomly selected beast. Surround the containment cells with fortifications and windows, so that the visitors can see the beasts but the beasts can't shoot anything at the visitors. I'd also vote for hall of legends if this gets built. Once you have captured every beast in the world, pit them all together in an epic arena battle and murder the survivors, so that there are no more mythical abominations to haunt the world.

A battle between every beast in the world... yes. Though unfortunately I don't think forgotten beasts attack each other. Seeing them do battle with a hoard of clowns would still be entertaining though.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50307 on: June 29, 2017, 11:42:47 pm »

They most assuredly do attack each other. However, the logs are very confusing ("The Forgotten Beast attacks The Forgotten Beast but he jumps away x1000")

I've taken advantage of FBs to kill/maim more dwarf-dangerous FBs in the past.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50308 on: June 30, 2017, 09:37:23 am »

They most assuredly do attack each other. However, the logs are very confusing ("The Forgotten Beast attacks The Forgotten Beast but he jumps away x1000")

I've taken advantage of FBs to kill/maim more dwarf-dangerous FBs in the past.

Then I am confused by the DFwiki's faction chart. There is no section for forgotten beasts on it, but it says megabeasts and semimegabeasts are friendly towards each other. Kind of makes this confusing.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50309 on: June 30, 2017, 12:03:12 pm »

Sure, if they're same species, and forgotten beasts are all unique snowflakes(HFS doesn't fight each other, so they're different). Otherwise, on monster island embarks the hordes of dragons melting the hordes of bronze colossi is not uncommon sight (though, they'll all be friendly again if the area you embarked in was reanimating - of course then the packs of zombie hydras will all beeline for embark wagon instead). (Though they don't kill each other in that same lair before you embark.)
Pages: 1 ... 3352 3353 [3354] 3355 3356 ... 3835