Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3354 3355 [3356] 3357 3358 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787647 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50325 on: July 04, 2017, 04:03:54 pm »

@Staalo: haha. I'm afraid the birthday didn't sail off in an ark, though - immigrant abandoned worldgen children can just migrate really, really, really young. Shouldn't you be in your mother, young man?
She dropped me on the ground and forgot, sir.

Actually, wonder if such small creatures could dodge the slade ground and be unharmed?

Alligator men animalpeople would be more interesting for this experiment, given they start really small (35,25 cubic centimeters according to wiki) and start as children, not babies (thus able to learn from the experience), though they'll grow to dwarven size in about half a year normally. (And so much faster here, if your tests of early childhood training resulting in greater adult size hold true.)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 04:06:22 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50326 on: July 04, 2017, 04:27:48 pm »

@Staalo: haha. I'm afraid the birthday didn't sail off in an ark, though - immigrant abandoned worldgen children can just migrate really, really, really young. Shouldn't you be in your mother, young man?

He's not even abandoned; he has both parents and an older sister living in the fortress. I thought it was just ordinary immigrant family braving the dangers to start a new life, but clearly something horrible happened on the way here.

I didn't even think about the training aspect! He already gained quite a nice set of skills during his month spent playing outside, but now I'm wondering... how buff could he get if I threw him back out?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50327 on: July 04, 2017, 06:45:54 pm »

He's not even abandoned; he has both parents and an older sister living in the fortress. I thought it was just ordinary immigrant family braving the dangers to start a new life, but clearly something horrible happened on the way here.

I didn't even think about the training aspect! He already gained quite a nice set of skills during his month spent playing outside, but now I'm wondering... how buff could he get if I threw him back out?

oh god staalo how about we not abandon children

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50328 on: July 04, 2017, 11:22:33 pm »

Technically, they're not children yet.

E: @Staalo: Well, tell us if the mother picks him up once he turns 0.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:25:56 pm by Fleeting Frames »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #50329 on: July 04, 2017, 11:28:06 pm »

Check out how high his stats are in Therapist. Either way you probably shouldn't throw him back out, since if he grows he might become vulnerable and die. All that potential, wasted!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50330 on: July 05, 2017, 02:13:12 am »

Can't get Dwarf Therapist to work on my setup, but I fished his physical attributes out with lua:

Strength 1311/2466
Agility 1291/1914
Toughness 1590/2424
Endurance 840/1374
Recuperation 729/1729
Disease resistance 278/1278

Unfortunately, Sazir isn't exactly Armok's blessed with those max values. I suppose there isn't much superdwarf potential in there even if I let him back out to play with his new friends.

you probably shouldn't throw him back out, since if he grows he might become vulnerable and die.

Only with things related to Dwarf Fortress one would even need a sentence like that! I think I'm going to have to sig that.

Shouldn't you be in your mother, young man?

And that.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:47:59 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50331 on: July 05, 2017, 05:21:42 am »

Hehe, thx. And no, he isn't, I guess. Going to go for slightly less dangerous training anyway, though?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #50332 on: July 05, 2017, 09:13:29 am »

you probably shouldn't throw him back out, since if he grows he might become vulnerable and die.
Only with things related to Dwarf Fortress one would even need a sentence like that! I think I'm going to have to sig that.
1. Awesome
2. See, I could act all horrified like a regular person, or I could give a good argument as to why not to do it. One is pointless, the other is funny and has merit.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50333 on: July 05, 2017, 01:38:42 pm »

Going to go for slightly less dangerous training anyway, though?

Possibly; the fort needs someone to pacify the surface. Traps and trick corridors will not catch all the undead, so someone needs to go out, take on Zombie Ettins and such, and win. Let's see whether he survives his birthday first.

Uhhh... welcome?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50334 on: July 06, 2017, 02:28:56 pm »

if we could learn how to manufacture this, we could create an army of unborn children to kill (or at least distract long enough for a military to kill) all the undead things

I guess unborn>undead

Also, the fact that dwarf fortress apperently tracks the size of unborn children astonishes me

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50335 on: July 06, 2017, 03:22:55 pm »

I guess unborn>undead

"You cannot kill what hasn't lived yet"

BTW, congratulations Sazir, for your... er... zeroth birthday! Yes, 28th Timber came and went, with nothing to mark the occasion except a passing remark "He was born today which makes him very young indeed" in his bio page. The game didn't implode upon realizing its mistake, Sazir didn't die or turn into a baby, nothing. Quite anticlimactic, to be honest.

He is now about the size of a newborn baby, just under 3500 cubic centimeters. It's a step up from a creepy fetus wandering around in adult dwarves' clothing, I guess.

Uhhh... welcome?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50336 on: July 06, 2017, 08:48:06 pm »

The latter of which makes me think that he survived zombie ettins due them being unable to find him in the clothes :P

Also, doesn't that slow him down? I recall heavier clothing garments can go up to 4 urists, which is over three times his weight as of your first check.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50337 on: July 07, 2017, 02:05:20 am »

I suppose that's where the limits of the simulation finally come up: Dwarf Fortress will track the weight of an unborn fetus, but not the weight of the clothes he's wearing.

Uhhh... welcome?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50338 on: July 07, 2017, 11:10:08 am »

Ah well. I recall elephantmen having the problem of their armor being too heavy for them.

Buckley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50339 on: July 08, 2017, 07:23:28 am »

:o I am a monster....  but first a little background:

It's currently 177, 1st of Granite.  I embarked on 174, 15th of Granite.

I'd say back in Galena - late summer - the local tower sent a massive siege (massive for this early in the game... like 3 necros and 70 undead.)  So of course I just went underground and stuck a big middle finger at the world.  Figured it's a great time to dig out my fresh water cistern, my hospital well, drainage for said water tanks.  I also decided to design & start digging out space for 8 magma forges off a vent stack deep in the earth.  As many of you know - it's tedious work. 

Back in the autumn of 175 I received a migrant wave of about 27 dwarves.  Halfway through their journey to Silverdeep to join their brethren of the Unseen Chamber we were viciously attacked by the weremouse Onaf Thepxugot.  I had no proper militia so the only choice for me to save the colony was to draw the bridges and hope that the migrants made it.  Unfortunately only about 2/3 of them did.  12 of them were left staring in horror at the huge Gabbro doors that forbade entrance to sanctuary.  Carnage insued.  Teeth, ears, and a few body parts later - and lots of blood - 4 dwarves lay dead and 6 lay uncounscious and bleeding.  2 had somehow managed to flee to safety.  The weremouse changed form and fled and I went to work trying to salvage what I could.  2 more dwarves bled out before I could get to them.  Of the other 4 badly injured I wasn't certain which had been cursed.  Long story short I ended up saving & restraining 4 in locked cells.  2 of them turned.  (Miraculously Stodir Ilashlibash lived without being cursed despite having a nose exploded into gore and a right arm bent, broken and twisted.  He works to this day as a metalsmith and all the children of the fort watch him from a distance and tell stories about the horror of that event.)

So, I imprisoned the two weredwarves - Imush Sastresrimtar and Doren Ducimseng into separate cells just beneath the surface and off the tunnel I use for access to my trade depot with plans of weaponizing them in the future.  And there they've sat since - every full moon a somber tone falls on my fort as the barely audible screams of the beasts remind the population of Silverdeep about the horrors that lurk in the darkness.

So there I am doing the tedious work of digging shafts & wells in the autumn of 176 and I get like no less than 3 or so notifications that a child has been born.  That's great I think - my plan is to have this be a multi-generational fort.  But I keep working through the notifications.  At this point the undead on the surface have been regularly catching and slaughtering wildlife - so I'm also used to almost constant fight notifications and I miss this one until this morning:  "Dwarven baby Deduk Ducimfoker is fighting!"

O noes I think.  Yes... it seems that while locked away Doren Ducimseng gave birth.  Which was fine and all until the full moon struck and then:

"Doren Ducimseng bites the dwarven baby in the left foot, tearing apart the muscle!  A Sensory nerve has been severed.  Doren Ducimseng grabs the dwarven baby by the upper front teeth with its left hand! ......   Doren Ducimseng kicks the dwarven baby in the right upper leg with its right paw and the injured part explodes into gore!.  An artery has been opened by the attack!..... Doren Ducimseng bites the dwarven baby in the head, tearing the muscle and bruising the skull!... shakes the dwarven baby around by the head and the skull collapses!"

Yea.  So now I have a dead baby in the walled off cell.  And I'm going to leave it there.  And the dark secrets of Silverdeep are going to continue to accumulate....

It's things like this that create insane uniqueness and character every time I embark....

Pages: 1 ... 3354 3355 [3356] 3357 3358 ... 3835