Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3355 3356 [3357] 3358 3359 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787025 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50340 on: July 08, 2017, 09:03:49 am »

Yea.  So now I have a dead baby in the walled off cell.  And I'm going to leave it there.  And the dark secrets of Silverdeep are going to continue to accumulate....

Yeah that's pretty messed up. The dwarves will write creepypastas about this for generations.

Milkymalk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50341 on: July 08, 2017, 03:55:49 pm »

Hear the story of Isakudip, Splatteredsyrup, the Undying Fortress!

I set up a fort at the border between a mountain range and a broadleaf forest. Workshops set up, stockpiles filled, everything was fine until at around a population of 30 (which came after the first immigration wave!), the a goblin necromancer arrives with a small guard and around 20 undead goblins. My whole military consisted of 5 axedorfs in training (with wooden axes) and 5 marksdorfs also in training, the best armor anyone had was leather. So I emergency-drafted EVERYONE in the fort and sent them charging the invaders. It was a slaughter and the fortress was depopulated in a matter of days.

An expedition was sent to reclaim said fortress, outfitted with metal armor, metal maces, a breeding stock of war dogs, a few meat rations and nothing else. The whole contents of the fort were found scattered, but no sign of the invaders. Sustaining on collected plants, these seven dorfs spent about a year tidying up the place, waiting for the first migrants to get the fortress running again.
That first wave was about 30 dorfs strong and after finishing reclaiming and collecting every single item and storing it, great stone coffins were erected in the main hallways to hosue the remains of the fallen of the first population. Security measures such as drawbridges and a walled-in outer yard were built and a small vile force of darkness (10 goblins) that arrived 2 years after was just sat out until all those visiting humans and elves took care of them. In the meantime, marksdorfs and macedorfs trained to be a force to be reckoned with. The fortress was thriving.

Around the 4th year the undead arrived again, around 20 undead and a handful of living goblins. The dorfs, confident that their fully metal-clad squad of mace-swingers can handle a couple of undead goblins, charged in with backup of 20 trained war dogs. Horror befell the attackers when, contrary to their expectations, they suffered great casualties and were wiped out to the last dog. The marksdorfs took the remaining dogs and attacked, but had little success. There were around 8 undead goblins left.
Remembering the brave souls that came here before them, the remaining dorfs took up arms (literally, since there were no weapons left to equip) and stormed at the undead army at their doorstep, beating them with their bare fists and dying glorious deaths, until the last remaining combatant, the mayor, finally slew the last of the undead and sunk down unconscious at the bridge leading to the inner fortress. Only one other dorf, other than children, was left. He nursed the heroic mayor back to health.
Only a few weeks after this epic battle, another wave of immigrants who had undoubtedly heard of this heroic place arrived and populated the legendary halls of Isakudip again, soon ungratefully electing a new mayor.
Soon after, ANOTHER vile force of darkness arrived, but as they gazed upon the battlefield that lay before them with smashed zombies and mangled war dogs, they decided to return to their homelands. You could literally watch them arrive and turn around instantly to flee the map.

The children of the second population are now growing up as well as the puppies of the war dogs that helped defend Isakudip during the Second Undead Storm, and a great memory hall reminds the current citizens that great bravery and sacrifice was all that defended their homes not long before they arrived.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50342 on: July 08, 2017, 06:38:04 pm »

Just finished my magma incinerator.

Dumped all the old clothes in it, FPS improved by 4-5.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50343 on: July 08, 2017, 07:10:10 pm »

Much fun was had that day.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50344 on: July 08, 2017, 10:35:54 pm »

:o I am a monster....
Yes... it seems that while locked away Doren Ducimseng gave birth.

Interesting. Most people find that their pregnant dorfs suffer miscarriages when they become werebeasts, and don't successfully carry the child to term. Research on how you achieved a successful werepregnancy would be helpful.
....and you thought YOU were a monster....

It's things like this that create insane uniqueness and character every time I embark....

Totally! Me too. My weregiraffe banging his head in the abandoned walled-in hospital below a glacier biome has been one I've never forgotten, personally. Wave after wave of migrants would arrive, hear the weregiraffe banging about in there (it had been a huge infirmary, and when it changed, the weregiraffe would throw beds, cabinets and piles of fabric and rubbish about) then eventually each migrant fall victim to a mysterious drowning pool, disappearing one by one, to be replaced next season by another unsuspecting migrant wave.... I never found a way of preventing them from drowning themselves, but the walled in immortal weregiraffe meant that the fort would never truly fall.

But yes, every fort has its own stories, horrors, and delights.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50345 on: July 09, 2017, 03:04:44 am »

Ah, so it can happen more commonly, then? I too thought it was impossible since weres were supposed to "reset" physically every month, but couple forts ago one infected gave birth after she had already went through two transformation cycles in isolation.

It was also something like two days to full moon, so some frantic construction removal and militia deployment was required to save the baby. The rescue mission was successful on baby's part and he grew up to be a militia captain.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50346 on: July 09, 2017, 03:06:13 am »

Not exactly the first case of werebeast having a child while were, Thisfox. They suffer miscarriage if they try to give birth while in were form.

Sometimes, they even don't kill the baby.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50347 on: July 09, 2017, 10:39:04 am »

One of the annoying foreigners stealing books from my library has the job title "Exalted Sacrifice."

What does that mean?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50348 on: July 09, 2017, 04:05:16 pm »

^Sounds like a priest in a Human civilization. They tend to have titles like that.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50349 on: July 09, 2017, 06:19:17 pm »

Swooping down from the heavens, a roc appears and slaughters half of my fort's livestock. The military defeats it, though, and wow, there’s a lot of meat on that bird. Soon I get the message that “The world has passed into the age of legends,” so the number of fantastic beasts must be getting pretty low. No wonder; they’re delicious.

The broker and the manager, having nothing productive to do, idled in the library long enough to notice each other’s existence. A marriage! The only one I’ve seen in this fort’s 15 years of existence.

Hey duke, I cannot actually make a platinum bed, but I can dig out more space for tombs, hint hint.

I never really understood why some players seem so eager to flood the world with magma until now. This fort, my seventh, has by far the most successful military I’ve ever had, and there are plenty of goblins to practice on. That’s the problem, actually. The sheer number of troll fur socks and loincloths and so on, and the relentless eagerness of their owners to deposit them in my dwarfs’ courtyard, is astonishing. I’ve given up on gathering the darned things; just clearing the bodies (and teeth) is enough of a chore.

Whoops, did I say my military is a success? I just managed to slaughter more than half of them by letting them out to play with some goblins. Of course they crammed into one spot on the map edge to get first crack at the trolls, and some of them didn’t make it. Even worse, someone must have bashed someone else by accident, because after the danger was over they kept attacking each other. My plans to delve greedily into the deeps will have to be shelved for now.

Buckley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50350 on: July 09, 2017, 08:47:10 pm »

:o I am a monster....
Yes... it seems that while locked away Doren Ducimseng gave birth.

Interesting. Most people find that their pregnant dorfs suffer miscarriages when they become werebeasts, and don't successfully carry the child to term. Research on how you achieved a successful werepregnancy would be helpful.
....and you thought YOU were a monster....

It's things like this that create insane uniqueness and character every time I embark....

Totally! Me too. My weregiraffe banging his head in the abandoned walled-in hospital below a glacier biome has been one I've never forgotten, personally. Wave after wave of migrants would arrive, hear the weregiraffe banging about in there (it had been a huge infirmary, and when it changed, the weregiraffe would throw beds, cabinets and piles of fabric and rubbish about) then eventually each migrant fall victim to a mysterious drowning pool, disappearing one by one, to be replaced next season by another unsuspecting migrant wave.... I never found a way of preventing them from drowning themselves, but the walled in immortal weregiraffe meant that the fort would never truly fall.

But yes, every fort has its own stories, horrors, and delights.

Yea dunno... took me by surprise.

What I found out a bit later that made it all the more funny is that she (the weredwarfmouse) is 170 years old.  :D

Still haven't decided how I want to weaponize yet.  So they are still locked up.  In the meantime the original beast came back 2 years later and killed a 1 year old that a laborer left laying in the field when she picked up a pile of wood instead.  The infant sat there for like 3 days before 15th of hematite - full moon.  (now I pay close attention to full moon dates and have multiple chickens tied to trees as my early warning defense system).  I sat there thinking "man, I hope a werebeast doesn't spawn 'cuz if so it's RIP baby.  Infants are having a tough go of it in Silverdeep...

I suppose the good news is the kid distracted the beast long enough for me to pull the bridge.  :P

Steedat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50351 on: July 10, 2017, 02:23:47 pm »

I didn't even think about the training aspect! He already gained quite a nice set of skills during his month spent playing outside, but now I'm wondering... how buff could he get if I threw him back out?

That's very close to how Doomsday was created in the comics...

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50352 on: July 10, 2017, 02:24:21 pm »

Now imagine if that baby had lived but got bitten

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50353 on: July 10, 2017, 02:27:10 pm »

I suppose that's where the limits of the simulation finally come up: Dwarf Fortress will track the weight of an unborn fetus, but not the weight of the clothes he's wearing.
Sigged, by the way

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50354 on: July 10, 2017, 03:49:21 pm »

So. The dwarves start out with a finite strength and zero mass, like some kind of muscle singularity, and then become progressively more mortal until they are born.
Pages: 1 ... 3355 3356 [3357] 3358 3359 ... 3835