Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3357 3358 [3359] 3360 3361 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787992 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50370 on: July 14, 2017, 07:54:19 pm »

Still playing that fort with the line of monarchs who are all killed by the same titan.

Just got news that the latest queen was killed. Not sure about an heir.

Uh oh. Was it the Titan again?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50371 on: July 14, 2017, 08:12:43 pm »

Still playing that fort with the line of monarchs who are all killed by the same titan.

Just got news that the latest queen was killed. Not sure about an heir.

Uh oh. Was it the Titan again?

Goblins took the capital. She died in a duel. There was no heir.

Game of Thrones level stuff going on here. The real question is who is now King/Queen? Legends mode detected no new one.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50372 on: July 14, 2017, 08:22:03 pm »

Goblins took the capital. She died in a duel. There was no heir.

Game of Thrones level stuff going on here. The real question is who is now King/Queen? Legends mode detected no new one.

You'll probably find out when she inevitable crops up in the fort.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50373 on: July 14, 2017, 08:26:01 pm »

Project Strip-Mine the World is at an end, along with my noble fortress. Alas, all that diggin' out and resulting stone hauling has brought the FPS reliably into the low single digits, even after carefully readjusting traffic designations, setting up minecart checkpoints, slaughtering domestic animals and wildlife, keeping most dorfs indoors, and finally using dfhack to destroy...really quite a lot of items. One day, I hope to have a fortress held up by a single wall, surrounded on all sides by a hundred Z-levels of void, with the magma sea at the bottom. On that day, a single bridge would connect the fort to the rind of land surrounding the map and leading to the outside world. This is not that day.

Farewell, Scribedboots. I salute you and your brave dwarves, from the 4-dwarf family of Äs Ritasreg (the first of the family to distinguish himself)--none of whom is in the military, but *each* of whom has at one point sustained a major injury singlehandedly slaying a semimegabeast--to Kema Lessentwists, the wolverine woman scholar who bit a berserk human bard to death in defense of the local tavern.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50374 on: July 14, 2017, 08:29:33 pm »

Project Strip-Mine the World is at an end, along with my noble fortress. Alas, all that diggin' out and resulting stone hauling has brought the FPS reliably into the low single digits, even after carefully readjusting traffic designations, setting up minecart checkpoints, slaughtering domestic animals and wildlife, keeping most dorfs indoors, and finally using dfhack to destroy...really quite a lot of items. One day, I hope to have a fortress held up by a single wall, surrounded on all sides by a hundred Z-levels of void, with the magma sea at the bottom. On that day, a single bridge would connect the fort to the rind of land surrounding the map and leading to the outside world. This is not that day.

Farewell, Scribedboots. I salute you and your brave dwarves, from the 4-dwarf family of Äs Ritasreg (the first of the family to distinguish himself)--none of whom is in the military, but *each* of whom has at one point sustained a major injury singlehandedly slaying a semimegabeast--to Kema Lessentwists, the wolverine woman scholar who bit a berserk human bard to death in defense of the local tavern.
That was beautiful :'(

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50375 on: July 14, 2017, 08:30:14 pm »

Just had a polarbearman bard show up with his troupe of naked goblin dancers, they were listening to music and poetry in my fort when suddenly said bard went on a drunken rampage and lightly tapped the mayor in the head, which collapsed in gore... He did the same to almost all the tavern goers, before falling dead with a mug in his hand... Nope, this one's not getting buried. Gonna let the dragon handle this mess, placing a wild boar on the other side of the room and pasturing the dragon inside.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50376 on: July 15, 2017, 05:08:54 am »

Heh. Goblin-naturalized polar bears? More deadly than I'd've thought.

@esconida: You dug all you could....

After you retire the fort, test unretiring them and check how much fps you gain?

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50377 on: July 16, 2017, 12:42:07 am »

My current fort experienced some revenge today.

So my fort is built above ground with a river running through the center. It's in a valley with two walls to the north and south, and the natural walls of hills to the east and west. It's also got a moat on the outside of the northern and southern walls. It's also got battlements along the top of the walls that dwarves can shoot Invaders from. All in all, I really like the layout of this fort.

Anyways, the only problem is that the river freezes in the winter, meaning no water. And my farmers being incompetent, the first few years of my fort were stone sober. No big deal, right? I can just trade for alcohol with the caravan every year to last through winter. Except no, the caravan demanded outrageous prices that I couldn't afford. So they left without giving me any beer.

Seven dwarves died that winter due to the wells being frozen. The only thing that saved the fortress was the valiant effort of two miners who managed to find a cavern with an underground lake before more of my people died.

Now cut to next year, when the caravan came back. I enclosed the trade depot in a small wooden room, and when the merchants began unloading their goods, I locked them in with a drawbridge. The outpost liaison is sitting in the tavern talking to the expedition leader, none the wise to his friends being cut down outside a la the red wedding.

Then the hired mercenaries lounging about the bar fall upon him, killing him easily.

So all in all, I got a bunch of cool stuff for free (most of which was later burned by a fire breathing forgotten beast) and the mountainhomes don't send me any caravans anymore.
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50378 on: July 16, 2017, 09:32:34 am »

Just embarked a new fortress, checked the name and group: Savageanvils is our fort, with the group we embarked named The Fortifications of Anvils. I like your style RNGesus, I like your style.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50379 on: July 20, 2017, 02:18:06 am »

The structure henceforth known as the Gatehouse is almost complete.

The new justice centre in the basement has officially replaced the old tower of justice, said tower has had it's ground level entrance sealed and a new access tunnel dug so the mentally ill dwarf in the basement can remain safe and cared for no matter how many cyclops attack us.

Preparations are also complete on the new and improved siege bunker one level above the new justice centre. Improvements include permanent guard animals at the entrance and 100% less staircases to the caverns.

Meanwhile the above ground portion of the Gatehouse mostly needs one of its towers topped off and furniture moved in. The Royal Guard have already been assigned to train in the courtyard, eight useless peasants brave souls ready to lay down their lives to prevent any harm from reaching the King in his palace at the mountain's peak.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50380 on: July 20, 2017, 03:19:02 am »

Just embarked a new fortress, checked the name and group: Savageanvils is our fort, with the group we embarked named The Fortifications of Anvils. I like your style RNGesus, I like your style.

I once had The Hot Lanterns of The Regal Volcano founding Searingmines. That happened to be a volcano fort, of course. Lots of fire-related action on that one.

For my current fort RNG produced an oddly familiar name: Windhelm. I haven't played Skyrim, what should I expect with a name like that?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50381 on: July 20, 2017, 02:34:39 pm »

Cold, and a rebellion using it as a capitol

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #50382 on: July 21, 2017, 10:46:33 am »

I reclaimed a fortress. My dwarves now must drink stagnant water until either we get the plump helmet fields going again, or I finally decide to create a screw pump.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50383 on: July 21, 2017, 11:53:14 am »

Nothing.

Literally nothing.

Population's at a steady 300+ (including visitors), domesticated GCS and surprisingly generous caverns have guaranteed EVERYONE has silk and gold covering them from head to toe, all of my militia have been training for a solid decade and are legendary in pretty much every combat skill, the king and his squad came and settled, struck enough adamantine to make my militia untouchable, entrance is pretty much impenetrable and I have four forgotten beasts dead, with a fifth caged.

Where's the fun? Were it not so laggy I'd have just dug down to the Circus by now :'(
Pages: 1 ... 3357 3358 [3359] 3360 3361 ... 3835