Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3360 3361 [3362] 3363 3364 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5773830 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50415 on: July 30, 2017, 03:14:49 am »

@andrian: Well, there's also lot of ASCII (ex biolinum) tilesets or even an ASCII-like (CLA (ignore the Taffer flat ground)) graphics set. I find the 12x8 curses fine enough, but I know fair few dislike vanilla curses 16x16 as a square option.

IIRC, installing DFhack is basically (maybe extract?) shove the (extracted?) files in the main df folder, run dfhack instead of df
ftfor linux. (I prefer to run it in terminal, but end up using a mixture of that and ctrl-shift-P for in-game console.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 03:18:17 am by Fleeting Frames »

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
Re: terror send to elfs
« Reply #50416 on: July 31, 2017, 04:01:04 am »

That means your civilizations started a war with them elsewhere since trading - seen this happen myself (simultaneously with humans, even), confirmed with retire. They war much more post-worldgen, so you can have elves, humans and dwarves coexisting for a century in an island and then get into a fight once your fort is founded.
Thanks for the answer! :)
Let's kill the elfs!
The old apple revels in its authority.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50417 on: July 31, 2017, 04:11:03 am »

In all of my years of playing dwarf fortress, for the first time last night I have captured a breeding pair of cave crocodiles and now have a whole bunch of (now tamed) cave crocodile hatchlings.
I'm very proud of having them, I don't know why I never tried capturing cave creatures and breeding them.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50418 on: July 31, 2017, 07:37:32 am »

In all of my years of playing dwarf fortress, for the first time last night I have captured a breeding pair of cave crocodiles and now have a whole bunch of (now tamed) cave crocodile hatchlings.
I'm very proud of having them, I don't know why I never tried capturing cave creatures and breeding them.

Cave crocodiles are the best. Pretty much the first thing I do is open up the caves and put a lot of cage traps down to catch beasts. It is a very profitable thing to do.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50419 on: July 31, 2017, 12:46:56 pm »

I got a werebeast and I was NOT prepared at all, but I managed to kill it by swarming it with my entire population. No casualties, yet...

Edit: He just stopped, the total amount of cancellations is over 3000.

Edit 2:

I thought I got away with it, but no. I forgot something.

Edit 3: Through unanimous (ahem) vote in the Fortress it has been decided that the fortress is to be abandoned. To contain the infection in the fortress, the entrance is to be sealed and everyone has been required to step into the Atom Smasher and be annihilated. It is the only recourse. Checking every dwarf for bite marks is too much work and would not be completed before the next full moon.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:24:40 pm by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Werebeast attacked+funny mood
« Reply #50420 on: July 31, 2017, 03:09:29 pm »

I've good my first strange mood with a child! It created a rock earring:(

But the mayor problem was the werebeast attack. I caged him but he killed 3 dwarfs and wounded 2.
The problem is that one wounded my legendary carpender is. One of the first pioneers. I'm sure that he's infected but don't know what to do with him. When I open my fort, I can bury my deat dwarfs and no ghosts will come. But the infected come in and maybe spread it D:

So I think about it a bit!
Short question: how I can set images in my posts?
thanks for answers!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #50421 on: July 31, 2017, 03:25:33 pm »

I think a legendary carpenter is worth the effort of containment. I recommend burrowing him somewhere and have him churn out products, perhaps using chutes to move stuffs from him and to drop more wood down. Make renovations only when you're sure he's not going to transform while his containment is unlocked. According to wiki here are the full moon dates:

25th granite (XX-01-25)
23rd slate (XX-02-23)
21st felsite (XX-03-21)
19th hematite (XX-04-19)
17th malachite (XX-05-17)
15th galena (XX-06-15)
13th limestone (XX-07-13)
11th sandstone (XX-08-11)
8th timber (XX-09-08)
6th moonstone (XX-10-06)
4th opal (XX-11-04)
2nd obsidian (XX-12-02)
28th obsidian (XX-12-28)

Oh, and you definitely want to make renovations and make his living as comfortable as possible, otherwise he might go insane from bad thoughts.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #50422 on: July 31, 2017, 04:03:56 pm »

....and before you suggest it, I don't even know how to install DFHack, much less use it, so I'm afraid it's vanilla or bust for me.

I too was once highly resistant to learning how to install any of the 3rd party mods, until a friend finally forced me to download the Lazy Newb Pack instead of the base game.

It is, quite literally, game changing. There are SO MANY things that are fixed or eased or simplified through the LNP, particularly through DFHack and SoundSense, that I can't even try to explain it to you. I encourage you to try it.

Armok's blood, mate, if it means you'll try it, I'll even offer to let you PM me for questions on how to get it to work, or why you should use it.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #50423 on: July 31, 2017, 04:09:44 pm »

I think a legendary carpenter is worth the effort of containment. I recommend burrowing him somewhere and have him churn out products, perhaps using chutes to move stuffs from him and to drop more wood down. Make renovations only when you're sure he's not going to transform while his containment is unlocked.

Oh, and you definitely want to make renovations and make his living as comfortable as possible, otherwise he might go insane from bad thoughts.

I can figure out how to get such a creature wood through the use of minecarts. Heck, you could even do some of the renovations with him by setting all his labors on, and then dump-pitting (or auto-dumping for dfhackers) the materials to him. What I can't figure out is a secure way to return his artistry to the rest of the population.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #50424 on: July 31, 2017, 04:16:19 pm »

I think a legendary carpenter is worth the effort of containment. I recommend burrowing him somewhere and have him churn out products, perhaps using chutes to move stuffs from him and to drop more wood down. Make renovations only when you're sure he's not going to transform while his containment is unlocked. According to wiki here are the full moon dates:

25th granite (XX-01-25)
23rd slate (XX-02-23)
21st felsite (XX-03-21)
19th hematite (XX-04-19)
17th malachite (XX-05-17)
15th galena (XX-06-15)
13th limestone (XX-07-13)
11th sandstone (XX-08-11)
8th timber (XX-09-08)
6th moonstone (XX-10-06)
4th opal (XX-11-04)
2nd obsidian (XX-12-02)
28th obsidian (XX-12-28)

I can figure out how to get such a creature wood through the use of minecarts. Heck, you could even do some of the renovations with him by setting all his labors on, and then dump-pitting (or auto-dumping for dfhackers) the materials to him. What I can't figure out is a secure way to return his artistry to the rest of the population.

Okay, so you create a secure room that locks shut via external lever to shut Urist McAwesomeWood away from people when you need to. Minecart/quantum stockpile thing to get wood to him. Pit-dumping high-quality Furniture and whatnot down the same shaft the minecart dumps the wood into. How do you get his workshop goods out without creating an escape route when he's were-form?

Are there better/more dorfish ways to get stuff to/from him?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #50425 on: July 31, 2017, 04:16:25 pm »

Can't you just have him dump-pit his stuffs?

Edit: oh right, were-form.

Why not make the delivery room locked by default? Then when he's going to make a delivery you can check that he's not going to transform, then unlock the room and dump-pit the stuffs.

Edit 2: Actually, a less complicated solution would be a retracting drawbridge. Have him dump stuffs on the drawbridge, then pull the lever to retract it, then again to re-seal the hole.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 04:22:05 pm by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50426 on: July 31, 2017, 04:56:29 pm »

Short question: how I can set images in my posts?
thanks for answers!
[img]https://url.to.uploaded.image.png[/img]

Ex, how I just typed that:

My personal recommendation is making uploading images easy so that you can crop, upload and get link with hotkey - on linux, I use scrot passing an image to imgur's public imgur-screenshot.sh shell script (which supports crop and upload itself, I just want to pass some additional saving arguments and upload url in name for the copy on my computer). There surely is a windows variant.

As for your werebeast, the above discussion on floating buildings is highly relevant to your situation - as long as building's square has no adjacent walkable space, it cannot be targeted by building destroyers (which werebeasts are), so you should make the bed, carpenter's workshop, etc. on top of 1-tile wall with ramp access. (Not needed for track stops as they're considered traps.)

Place qsp under your carpenter's workshop with minecart delivery in when full of logs (use statue like above to prevent werebeast escape while allowing minecart to pass) and another minecart delivery out when either full of goods or every once in a while.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 04:59:54 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: help
« Reply #50427 on: August 01, 2017, 04:12:28 am »

thanks for the amazing help!
I will resque my carpender and give him an prisoned livestyle for a month so I can see if he transform or not. So he maybe survive.

And thanks@ Fleeting Frames for the statement with images here!

Edit: I had one more wounded dwarfs.
My first step was opening my fort and send them into my hospital where I closed the entrance with a wall. My dwarfs buried the dead friends and I waited till the next fullmoon. All three dwarfs turned into werebeasts and killed each other. So my carpender is dead.
So I should try to kill the human who infected my dwarfs but I must get him out of the cage:D
Finally I tradet with the human caravan and new migrants arrive!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:15:04 am by Dragonunion »

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50428 on: August 02, 2017, 12:36:00 pm »

A visitor has arrived at our fort:  A Gorlak Dancer. 

Don't want to watch, yet can't look away...

:o
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50429 on: August 02, 2017, 01:03:34 pm »

A visitor has arrived at our fort:  A Gorlak Dancer. 

Don't want to watch, yet can't look away...

:o

I wonder what percentage of the fort is okay with this...
Pages: 1 ... 3360 3361 [3362] 3363 3364 ... 3835