Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3364 3365 [3366] 3367 3368 ... 3612

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 3166441 times)

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50475 on: July 31, 2017, 04:09:44 pm »

I think a legendary carpenter is worth the effort of containment. I recommend burrowing him somewhere and have him churn out products, perhaps using chutes to move stuffs from him and to drop more wood down. Make renovations only when you're sure he's not going to transform while his containment is unlocked.

Oh, and you definitely want to make renovations and make his living as comfortable as possible, otherwise he might go insane from bad thoughts.

I can figure out how to get such a creature wood through the use of minecarts. Heck, you could even do some of the renovations with him by setting all his labors on, and then dump-pitting (or auto-dumping for dfhackers) the materials to him. What I can't figure out is a secure way to return his artistry to the rest of the population.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #50476 on: July 31, 2017, 04:16:19 pm »

I think a legendary carpenter is worth the effort of containment. I recommend burrowing him somewhere and have him churn out products, perhaps using chutes to move stuffs from him and to drop more wood down. Make renovations only when you're sure he's not going to transform while his containment is unlocked. According to wiki here are the full moon dates:

25th granite (XX-01-25)
23rd slate (XX-02-23)
21st felsite (XX-03-21)
19th hematite (XX-04-19)
17th malachite (XX-05-17)
15th galena (XX-06-15)
13th limestone (XX-07-13)
11th sandstone (XX-08-11)
8th timber (XX-09-08)
6th moonstone (XX-10-06)
4th opal (XX-11-04)
2nd obsidian (XX-12-02)
28th obsidian (XX-12-28)

Oh, and you definitely want to make renovations and make his living as comfortable as possible, otherwise he might go insane from bad thoughts.

I can figure out how to get such a creature wood through the use of minecarts. Heck, you could even do some of the renovations with him by setting all his labors on, and then dump-pitting (or auto-dumping for dfhackers) the materials to him. What I can't figure out is a secure way to return his artistry to the rest of the population.

Okay, so you create a secure room that locks shut via external lever to shut Urist McAwesomeWood away from people when you need to. Minecart/quantum stockpile thing to get wood to him. Pit-dumping high-quality Furniture and whatnot down the same shaft the minecart dumps the wood into. How do you get his workshop goods out without creating an escape route when he's were-form?

Are there better/more dorfish ways to get stuff to/from him?

Cinder

• Bay Watcher
  • Can't sleep, catboys will eat me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50477 on: July 31, 2017, 04:16:25 pm »

Can't you just have him dump-pit his stuffs?

Edit: oh right, were-form.

Why not make the delivery room locked by default? Then when he's going to make a delivery you can check that he's not going to transform, then unlock the room and dump-pit the stuffs.

Edit 2: Actually, a less complicated solution would be a retracting drawbridge. Have him dump stuffs on the drawbridge, then pull the lever to retract it, then again to re-seal the hole.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 04:22:05 pm by Cinder »
If you teleport to your bed, it's alcohol.

Cinder x flame99 x BlackHeartKabal is my OT3

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50478 on: July 31, 2017, 04:56:29 pm »

Short question: how I can set images in my posts?
thanks for answers!
[img]https://url.to.uploaded.image.png[/img]

Ex, how I just typed that:

My personal recommendation is making uploading images easy so that you can crop, upload and get link with hotkey - on linux, I use scrot passing an image to imgur's public imgur-screenshot.sh shell script (which supports crop and upload itself, I just want to pass some additional saving arguments and upload url in name for the copy on my computer). There surely is a windows variant.

As for your werebeast, the above discussion on floating buildings is highly relevant to your situation - as long as building's square has no adjacent walkable space, it cannot be targeted by building destroyers (which werebeasts are), so you should make the bed, carpenter's workshop, etc. on top of 1-tile wall with ramp access. (Not needed for track stops as they're considered traps.)

Place qsp under your carpenter's workshop with minecart delivery in when full of logs (use statue like above to prevent werebeast escape while allowing minecart to pass) and another minecart delivery out when either full of goods or every once in a while.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 04:59:54 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenges the monsters
    • View Profile
    • Jinx Guide :: League of Legends Jinx Strategy Build Guide on MOBAFire
Re: help
« Reply #50479 on: August 01, 2017, 04:12:28 am »

thanks for the amazing help!
I will resque my carpender and give him an prisoned livestyle for a month so I can see if he transform or not. So he maybe survive.

And thanks@ Fleeting Frames for the statement with images here!

Edit: I had one more wounded dwarfs.
My first step was opening my fort and send them into my hospital where I closed the entrance with a wall. My dwarfs buried the dead friends and I waited till the next fullmoon. All three dwarfs turned into werebeasts and killed each other. So my carpender is dead.
So I should try to kill the human who infected my dwarfs but I must get him out of the cage:D
Finally I tradet with the human caravan and new migrants arrive!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:15:04 am by Dragonunion »
Older then humanity...
XD

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50480 on: August 02, 2017, 12:36:00 pm »

A visitor has arrived at our fort:  A Gorlak Dancer. 

Don't want to watch, yet can't look away...

:o
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50481 on: August 02, 2017, 01:03:34 pm »

I wonder what percentage of the fort is okay with this...

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #50482 on: August 02, 2017, 04:24:09 pm »

100% attendance. 100% reduction of arms in armoury.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Seleucian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50483 on: August 03, 2017, 01:06:45 am »

I think my cat is up to something...

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50484 on: August 03, 2017, 02:12:11 am »

*checks wiki*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wellll... I guess with enough booze anything passes as entertainment in Dwarven taverns...

Quote from: Drunken Urist
WOHOO!!! SHAKE THAT THING BABY!!!
In 158, the dark creature Liceyi Coastalworship became a astronomer in the depths of the world

>>>>>     @>

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50485 on: August 03, 2017, 07:49:20 am »

When the Gorlak Dancer entered the tavern, and eventually started to Perform Dance, I was curious to see what sort of dance he was doing. However, every dwarf that was in there spontaneously took that opportunity to leave the tavern, so I was unable to view the activity.  Smart dwarves.  A couple human visitors stayed to watch, but unfortunately, it seems you can only view the activity from a fortress member. 

I imagine a conversation as the gorlak entered the fortress:

Dwarf Gateguard: *checks visitor manifest*  "A gorlak?  What are you doing here, why didn't I know about this?"
Gorlak: "What you don't know about me I could just about squeeze into the grand chasm.  Did you know I always wanted to be a dancer in Bridgeteachers?"  *does a gesture with his hands, in finest "Showgirls" fashion*  "Bet you didn't know that, did you?"

bonus points if you get the reference.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50486 on: August 03, 2017, 08:34:56 am »

I think my cat is up to something...

Soon, all will bow before Mr Fluffykins...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50487 on: August 03, 2017, 09:34:49 am »

@oldmansutton: You can view visitors' activity from (u)nits-Others tab with j.

latias1290

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50488 on: August 03, 2017, 11:21:51 am »

Time to explore the caverns.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

latias1290

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50489 on: August 03, 2017, 11:36:45 am »

Hello, and welcome to the second installment of The Ignobles, an annual event where the claimants of the Baron position of some fort halfway across the world compete to explore the caverns the fastest and remain alive the longest! My name is latias1290 and I will be your host for tonight.

Earlier this morning two dwarves inherited the Baron position of, in order, the City of Granitepartnered and the Metropolis of Handlegripped. As per usual procedure, they are to prove their worth by entering and exploring the caverns below the earth at the fortress they live in. If this was not the norm, pansies from all over the world would swarm for the right to make mandates for awfully useless items and demand frivolous furnishings in their bedrooms. We can't have that! For this reason, the amount of heirs is kept in check by making them fight for their lives - and their right for the throne.

Among the loss- errr, the candidates are Zasit Alaklitast, a Talented Miner who has claimed the throne of Handlegripped. It is a shame he must go -- to Handlegripped, I mean -- since we can always use a strong mining workforce. The other heir is Ineth Isonkeskal, who has inherited Granitepartnered. Frankly, he has not been very useful so far, having aquired only Adequate Shearer and merely Dabbling Brewer. I don't think he'll make it...!

Stay tuned, our show begins in less than 15 minutes!

Edit: due to technical issues involving some Elves the show has been delayed by an hour. Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 01:26:13 pm by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.
Pages: 1 ... 3364 3365 [3366] 3367 3368 ... 3612