Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3369 3370 [3371] 3372 3373 ... 3623

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 3229210 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50550 on: August 10, 2017, 01:08:29 pm »

Ferric elves are like kobolds who sneaks around trying to steal stuff, but wield large steel daggers.  One ferric elf is seen by my 6 pack war dogs and hunting dogs around my central stairs. 

In a moment of blur, all 6 dogs are dead, and the dude runs away.

I'm going to start using a safer detection strat such as dog on grate tower.

Boatsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep Moving Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #50551 on: August 11, 2017, 12:28:47 pm »

My militia captain gave a name to his crossbow while he was asleep.

thoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50552 on: August 11, 2017, 06:47:51 pm »

I left 20 dwarfs in a barracks and had them train non stop to remove idlers. Now I have 20 axe lords. I don't even have metal axes, the only axes that I have are stolen from elves. I have steel swords. Why 

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #50553 on: August 12, 2017, 02:18:27 pm »

I left 20 dwarfs in a barracks and had them train non stop to remove idlers. Now I have 20 axe lords. I don't even have metal axes, the only axes that I have are stolen from elves. I have steel swords. Why
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Just get them some axes.

latias1290

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50554 on: August 12, 2017, 02:56:02 pm »

Some of the corpses in this world are married. What?

(See the page for instructions)
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50555 on: August 12, 2017, 03:07:06 pm »

Playing a more laidback casual low population fort (35 pop cap) trying to build only within in a single Z-levle. On embark, we're doing fine. Just breached limestone and we have limonite on the surface so steel is on the menu.

Suddenly, my arrogant expedition leader decided to get into a fist fight with my planter - a battle she quickly lost. She's now sitting in our makeshift hospital, waiting for our pig tails to sprout so we can make some thread for her injured leg. You brought this on yourself Imush.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50556 on: August 12, 2017, 04:54:54 pm »

Some of the corpses in this world are married. What?

(See the page for instructions)
Did they marry before or after becoming zombies?

thoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50557 on: August 13, 2017, 03:17:07 am »

its ok I made 1000 iron axes. Traps for everyone I guess. I don't know

latias1290

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50558 on: August 13, 2017, 05:08:19 am »

Here are the screenshots of the three corpses. It doesn't say explicitly when they were animated, or that they married while alive and became a historical figure after animation. I find the latter unlikely, though, as there is nothing for them that would make them a historical figure (no kills, or anything) which makes it more likely that they were a [DO_NOT_CULL] noble while alive. I'll have to look into that (they're a custom race), though, as that's not mentioned either.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50559 on: August 13, 2017, 10:01:37 am »

Here are the screenshots of the three corpses. It doesn't say explicitly when they were animated, or that they married while alive and became a historical figure after animation. I find the latter unlikely, though, as there is nothing for them that would make them a historical figure (no kills, or anything) which makes it more likely that they were a [DO_NOT_CULL] noble while alive. I'll have to look into that (they're a custom race), though, as that's not mentioned either.
You might find more context by checking on the entities they are a member of; maybe there was a successful necromancer siege in 51.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50560 on: August 13, 2017, 12:05:47 pm »

IIRC weapon traps currently crash the game due to wear inside the trap. Though I guess you can still drop 1000 iron axes on your enemies...
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50561 on: August 13, 2017, 12:15:52 pm »

my current project is an arena. and a full set of bone armour for the guy who gets my artefact badger bone spear...

other then that I want to assign some non-conventional roles in my fort, for example:

- executioner. much like the hammerer, except he executes goblins ect on my orders, and not that of the captain of the guard.

- Master of the arena. probably mainly lever pulling for the arena...

- interrogator. I want him to be a goblin. I want him to have a scourge.

and maybe a treasurer or something.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50562 on: August 13, 2017, 12:43:59 pm »

IIRC weapon traps currently crash the game due to wear inside the trap. Though I guess you can still drop 1000 iron axes on your enemies...

I prefer the method of dropping statues of minotaurs being crushed by statues on top of minotaurs, but axes work too.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50563 on: August 13, 2017, 12:45:58 pm »

You might find more context by checking on the entities they are a member of; maybe there was a successful necromancer siege in 51.

congratulations on the wedding, what happy couples they sound like, such perfect matches
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50564 on: August 13, 2017, 12:48:11 pm »

I'm about a month into my 43.05 fort.  Our prospectors did well.  We have hematite and marble in nice big veins up near the lip of the volcano.  Our absolute first project was to build a magma bridge trap at the entrance.  Two 10x3 retracting bridges with a 1 tile opening between them in the middle.  There sits a pressure plate hooked up to both bridges.  Directly below is a 21x3 magma pool 1 deep.  It has 4 iron hatches at the bottom so I can drain off the loot.  All the junk (bodies, loincloths, etc...) burns up leaving just the iron goodies.  They get pushed down the drains into the channel that leads to an edge fortification to get rid of the magma.  It takes about a month for the last of the magma to cool enough so I can send in the scroungers to pick up the loot.  This has been the absolute best trap I have built.  Watching 20 goblins run into the entrance just to have the ground fall out from underneath of them moments before they get to the fort is awesome!  Now and then a sprinting troll jumps the last few feet to give my waiting melee squad a workout.  Not having to do post siege cleanup is the best part.  I have been able to focus on digging deep and crafting lots of cotton candy gear.  It really makes for a lot more fun and a lot less !FUN!.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:52:23 pm by AlBravo »
Ancient Avatar
Pages: 1 ... 3369 3370 [3371] 3372 3373 ... 3623