Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3365 3366 [3367] 3368 3369 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788231 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50490 on: August 09, 2017, 02:39:41 pm »

My latest fort seems to have cave spores right from the start. I haven't breached the caverns, and yet there is cave moss and young tunnel tube growing already.

Has anyone else had this?

You probably have a cave somewhere with access inside, and maybe an angry ettin.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50491 on: August 09, 2017, 04:31:20 pm »

I started a fort in a haunted area with an aquifer. As it turned out, the aquifer was 6-7 layers thick and it took over a year to breach. I was just finishing up when suddenly a wereyak/buffalo/something like that shows up and murders everyone.

At least zombies are no longer invincible - all my dwarves had a bunch of kills from small reanimated pieces of corpses/other zombies.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50492 on: August 09, 2017, 04:40:06 pm »

Opened up the second cavern layer and uhh... It's already flooded with lava? Why? I didn't do anything! Except drop a ton of people into the volcano but that shouldn't make the caverns flood with the stuff.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #50493 on: August 09, 2017, 04:44:05 pm »

I got a bugged siege in my current fort - the "siege" indicator was active but no invaders came. Strange and kind of annoying after several normal ambushes.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50494 on: August 09, 2017, 09:07:20 pm »

My latest fort seems to have cave spores right from the start. I haven't breached the caverns, and yet there is cave moss and young tunnel tube growing already.

Has anyone else had this?

Edit: I just realized that I am relatively close to my previous fortress which has breached the caverns. I wonder how far spores can spread off-map. Anyone wanna do the science?
I believe that once you breach the caverns in a biome the entire biome, including off-map, can get spores from the caverns.

So you're off-map, but in the same biome.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50495 on: August 09, 2017, 11:27:15 pm »

I got a bugged siege in my current fort - the "siege" indicator was active but no invaders came. Strange and kind of annoying after several normal ambushes.

Yeah, that's a longstanding bug. Apparently the siege force somehow gets stuck outside of the map. Don't remember how to remedy it at the moment.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50496 on: August 10, 2017, 02:03:01 am »

A Forgotten Beast entered my fort.

It was a giant, three-eyed, feathered shrimp.

A fucking shrimp.

It didn't even have anything special, just a thirst/hunger for warm blood.

A single crossbow bolt knocked it down, and a few pounds with a +steel war hammer+ bruised its brain, causing instant death.

That was the dumbest Forgotten Beast I ever fought. No one got hurt fighting it.

There have definitely been weaker FBs (I had one made out of blood or something that was killed by a cat before my military got to it) but this is pretty sad.

Ah, new migrants. And one has two kills to her name already. Good good.

Hmm. Two dwarves?

Turns out her loving parents brought her up in the Dark Fortress, Thieflearns, where her father was forcibly taken at the age of 3.

She murdered a dwarf when she was 14 (poor old Thob Indigoblockades who only moved to the Dark Fortress so he could marry his sweetheart, apparently) then another at 16. Just the way it goes if you want to get by in goblin society.

In the year 332, she suddenly decided to leave the goblins, rejoin dwarvern civilization and come to live with us.
Novice butcher. She'll fit right in...

Something I love about this game is that you can just play it, for seasons and years at a time, and suddenly, a dwarf will get your attention.  And examining them further, you'll suddenly find they actually have a tragic backstory, their sadness has a reason, and then you'll try to do something like build them much better quarters.

Then they'll jump into magma for no fucking reason at all.  Fuck you, dwarves.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 02:08:46 am by muldrake »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50497 on: August 10, 2017, 10:55:01 am »

Then they'll jump into magma for no fucking reason at all.  Fuck you, dwarves.
sigged

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50498 on: August 10, 2017, 01:08:29 pm »

Ferric elves are like kobolds who sneaks around trying to steal stuff, but wield large steel daggers.  One ferric elf is seen by my 6 pack war dogs and hunting dogs around my central stairs. 

In a moment of blur, all 6 dogs are dead, and the dude runs away.

I'm going to start using a safer detection strat such as dog on grate tower.

Boatsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep Moving Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #50499 on: August 11, 2017, 12:28:47 pm »

My militia captain gave a name to his crossbow while he was asleep.

thoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50500 on: August 11, 2017, 06:47:51 pm »

I left 20 dwarfs in a barracks and had them train non stop to remove idlers. Now I have 20 axe lords. I don't even have metal axes, the only axes that I have are stolen from elves. I have steel swords. Why 

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #50501 on: August 12, 2017, 02:18:27 pm »

I left 20 dwarfs in a barracks and had them train non stop to remove idlers. Now I have 20 axe lords. I don't even have metal axes, the only axes that I have are stolen from elves. I have steel swords. Why
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Just get them some axes.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50502 on: August 12, 2017, 02:56:02 pm »

Some of the corpses in this world are married. What?

(See the page for instructions)
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50503 on: August 12, 2017, 03:07:06 pm »

Playing a more laidback casual low population fort (35 pop cap) trying to build only within in a single Z-levle. On embark, we're doing fine. Just breached limestone and we have limonite on the surface so steel is on the menu.

Suddenly, my arrogant expedition leader decided to get into a fist fight with my planter - a battle she quickly lost. She's now sitting in our makeshift hospital, waiting for our pig tails to sprout so we can make some thread for her injured leg. You brought this on yourself Imush.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50504 on: August 12, 2017, 04:54:54 pm »

Some of the corpses in this world are married. What?

(See the page for instructions)
Did they marry before or after becoming zombies?
Pages: 1 ... 3365 3366 [3367] 3368 3369 ... 3835