Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3366 3367 [3368] 3369 3370 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787602 times)

thoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50505 on: August 13, 2017, 03:17:07 am »

its ok I made 1000 iron axes. Traps for everyone I guess. I don't know

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50506 on: August 13, 2017, 05:08:19 am »

Did they marry before or after becoming zombies?
Here are the screenshots of the three corpses. It doesn't say explicitly when they were animated, or that they married while alive and became a historical figure after animation. I find the latter unlikely, though, as there is nothing for them that would make them a historical figure (no kills, or anything) which makes it more likely that they were a [DO_NOT_CULL] noble while alive. I'll have to look into that (they're a custom race), though, as that's not mentioned either.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50507 on: August 13, 2017, 10:01:37 am »

Here are the screenshots of the three corpses. It doesn't say explicitly when they were animated, or that they married while alive and became a historical figure after animation. I find the latter unlikely, though, as there is nothing for them that would make them a historical figure (no kills, or anything) which makes it more likely that they were a [DO_NOT_CULL] noble while alive. I'll have to look into that (they're a custom race), though, as that's not mentioned either.
You might find more context by checking on the entities they are a member of; maybe there was a successful necromancer siege in 51.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50508 on: August 13, 2017, 12:05:47 pm »

IIRC weapon traps currently crash the game due to wear inside the trap. Though I guess you can still drop 1000 iron axes on your enemies...
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50509 on: August 13, 2017, 12:15:52 pm »

my current project is an arena. and a full set of bone armour for the guy who gets my artefact badger bone spear...

other then that I want to assign some non-conventional roles in my fort, for example:

- executioner. much like the hammerer, except he executes goblins ect on my orders, and not that of the captain of the guard.

- Master of the arena. probably mainly lever pulling for the arena...

- interrogator. I want him to be a goblin. I want him to have a scourge.

and maybe a treasurer or something.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50510 on: August 13, 2017, 12:43:59 pm »

IIRC weapon traps currently crash the game due to wear inside the trap. Though I guess you can still drop 1000 iron axes on your enemies...

I prefer the method of dropping statues of minotaurs being crushed by statues on top of minotaurs, but axes work too.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50511 on: August 13, 2017, 12:45:58 pm »

You might find more context by checking on the entities they are a member of; maybe there was a successful necromancer siege in 51.

congratulations on the wedding, what happy couples they sound like, such perfect matches
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50512 on: August 13, 2017, 12:48:11 pm »

I'm about a month into my 43.05 fort.  Our prospectors did well.  We have hematite and marble in nice big veins up near the lip of the volcano.  Our absolute first project was to build a magma bridge trap at the entrance.  Two 10x3 retracting bridges with a 1 tile opening between them in the middle.  There sits a pressure plate hooked up to both bridges.  Directly below is a 21x3 magma pool 1 deep.  It has 4 iron hatches at the bottom so I can drain off the loot.  All the junk (bodies, loincloths, etc...) burns up leaving just the iron goodies.  They get pushed down the drains into the channel that leads to an edge fortification to get rid of the magma.  It takes about a month for the last of the magma to cool enough so I can send in the scroungers to pick up the loot.  This has been the absolute best trap I have built.  Watching 20 goblins run into the entrance just to have the ground fall out from underneath of them moments before they get to the fort is awesome!  Now and then a sprinting troll jumps the last few feet to give my waiting melee squad a workout.  Not having to do post siege cleanup is the best part.  I have been able to focus on digging deep and crafting lots of cotton candy gear.  It really makes for a lot more fun and a lot less !FUN!.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:52:23 pm by AlBravo »
Ancient Avatar

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50513 on: August 13, 2017, 06:51:28 pm »

I embarked in a Haunted area with an aquifer. I spent about 1.5 years piercing it (it was 6-7 layers thick) while getting some above-ground stuff set up. Then I decided to butcher my livestock to prevent zombies.

Unfortunately, butchered animal parts still reanimate and distract everyone in the area (and apparently at least some of them can do damage to people). And then other dwarves wander into the area to collect bodies and possessions and carry the wounded off. Nothing I did would get the dwarves away, so in the end I had to wall off the area. By this point I'd basically lost 19/21 dwarves to yak hair.

I thought I was saved when more migrants showed up. Then a zombie yak showed up and dwarves started to wander towards it again. I lost a few, but luckily I had a lever-connected bridge that I used to seal the fortress (safely away from invaders).

Or at least, that's what I thought. I noticed a short time later that a zombie was inside my fortress. IDK where it came from (the one recent death inside the fort was still submerged under water and walled off) but it proceeded to murder the three other dwarves still inside the fort.

Meanwhile, one final dwarf was stranded outside. I figured that if I waited long enough he would die to zombie yaks or something, but instead I decided to just abandon the fort to save myself the wait.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50514 on: August 14, 2017, 09:38:40 am »

Running DF 43.05 Fortress Defense Mod II R v21, with my modded 4-Armed dwarfs. 

I limit my world-gen to Small Region, 20 Civs starting, 2 max cavern layers. 
Embarked on a 2x3 Mirthful marsh with the 1x3 eastern flat Haunted mountain biome that rains greater badger blood.

Spring, 154
1 Commander: Axe+5, Teacher+3, Student+2
2 Captain: Hammer+5, Teacher+3, Student+2
3 Armorsmith+5, Metalsmith+1, Metal Crafter+1, Appraiser+1, Student+2
4 Miner+5, Mason+1, Mechanic+1, Student+2
5 Miner+5, Mason+1, Mechanic+1, Student+2
6 Carpenter+5, Mechanic+1, Axe+1, Woodcutter+1, Student+2
7 Doctor+1 each, Weaponsmith+1, Organizer+1, Record Keeper+1, Student+2

Our civ, The Accidental Lens is either dead or dying.  Our neighbors are: Dwarves, Hellfire Imps, Goblins, War Elephants, Putrid Blndec (War), Elves, Ferric Elves, Nakashim, Humans, Greater Badgerman, Raptor Men, Warwolves, and Frog Demons.

I opened a tavern early, but forgot to set it to citizen and long-term only.  So I end up with visitors: Frost Ettings, Blood Cyclopes, and Greater Honey Badgermen. 

OUr 100 booze supply will run out quick, found 3 sunshine bushes, and 2 rope reeds, but no hemp!

There is hematite, and marble.  Rock salts and Orthoclase rocks will be used mostly. 

Summer 155. +3 migrants
Autumn 155. +8 migrants;
+1 Frost Ettin Bard
+ 1 Honey Badger Berserker with Steel Great Axe (Axe+10 skill)

Winter 155. +1 Greater Badgerwoman Bard,

Spring 155.  Armorer Mosus becomes Queen.  She likes gold and mandates Shields.
+1 Blood Cyclopes Danger
+1 Frost Ettin Axeman (Bronze Halberd)
+1 Honey Badger Bard
+22 Migrants (2 kids)
+1 Goblin Dancer

Summer 155. +1 Honey Badger Berserker (issue steel battle-axe, Axe+10 skill)

4 Magma Forges and 3 Magma Smelters are in production near the surface.
Set 3 forges max Novice skill to crank out Steel Chain Leggings and Steel Giant Axe, and Copper Bolts.
As soon as Highest Moodable is either Armorsmith or Weaponsmith, they become active/training military.

Autumn 155. +2 Honey Badger Bards.
+1 Giantess Pikeman (Bismuth-Bronze Pike, Spear+10 skill)
+1 Frost Ettin Bowman (assigned Steel Crossbow, Crossbow+0 skill, Bowman+10 skill).
+2 Greater Honey Badgerwoman Bards.
+1 Nakash Snakewoman Dancer.  We have Snek!

Winter 155.
Had a siege vs 2 Snakemen.  Not so easy kill.  Need Hospital for 3 injured.

+1 Blood Cyclopes Spearman (assigned Steel Spear, Spear+10)
+1 Honey Badger Bard.
+1 Honey Badgerwoman Berserker (Axe+10)
+1 Helmet Snake Woman Dancer. Another Snek!

It is now Mid-Winter 155, and the hospital with bathtub entrance is under construction.

The Queen is busy making her own gold furnitures (6 gold doors, 5 armor stands, 5 weapon rack, 10 chests, 5 cabinets, and a masterful tower-cap bed is ready.  Waiting for gold sarcophagus, and 7 sets of chairs and thrones. 

The queen also figured out how to make "large" armor for the Frost Ettins (jotunal sized) and Honey Badgers (greater honey badger sized). 

How to find out the size of armor for the "large" mercenaries?
(v) view the soldier, (i) inventory, press enter on a "large" armor, (v) view description of armor will indicate the size, such as "jotunar sized" or "greater badgerman sized".  Then you can (d) details the item in the forge, and (f) filter for the size you need.  I was initially doing human sized and no one is wearing them despite the "large" (in large steel helm).

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50515 on: August 14, 2017, 12:02:26 pm »

So I have been building an underground fort. A giant appears lusting for blood and I expect the surface to be clear. But alas reacent migrant fisher is up at the brook having noot been asigned a proper job. The fisher proceeds to kick the giant's ass bare handed for a few days untill geting oneshotted in the head by a fist. The giant just stands there for a bit overexerted so I send out the military on kill orders thinking this should be even as they will all be vomiting from cave adaptation. But they are really deep underground so it takes awhile. Finally an axe dwarf shows up but just stands at a distance staring at the giant.  The tension is broken when a hauler listed as "no job" runs up and the giant attacks him. (There are no meeting zones on the surface at all) Only then does the axe dwarf join in. They fight for a bit and the giant scratches off the hauler's arm. But then... the engraver appeared. The engraver, also jobless and not in the military tears into the giant with a steel pick he must have arrived with and strikes it dead. That engraver just earned a nickname...
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50516 on: August 15, 2017, 09:40:36 am »

So I have been building an underground fort. A giant appears lusting for blood and I expect the surface to be clear. But alas reacent migrant fisher is up at the brook having noot been asigned a proper job. The fisher proceeds to kick the giant's ass bare handed for a few days untill geting oneshotted in the head by a fist. The giant just stands there for a bit overexerted so I send out the military on kill orders thinking this should be even as they will all be vomiting from cave adaptation. But they are really deep underground so it takes awhile. Finally an axe dwarf shows up but just stands at a distance staring at the giant.  The tension is broken when a hauler listed as "no job" runs up and the giant attacks him. (There are no meeting zones on the surface at all) Only then does the axe dwarf join in. They fight for a bit and the giant scratches off the hauler's arm. But then... the engraver appeared. The engraver, also jobless and not in the military tears into the giant with a steel pick he must have arrived with and strikes it dead. That engraver just earned a nickname...

That is the most hilariously ineffective military ever. I don't know why the heck they suck so much, but they do...

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50517 on: August 15, 2017, 10:03:43 am »

The Queen is busy making her own gold furnitures (6 gold doors, 5 armor stands, 5 weapon rack, 10 chests, 5 cabinets, and a masterful tower-cap bed is ready.  Waiting for gold sarcophagus, and 7 sets of chairs and thrones. 

The queen also figured out how to make "large" armor for the Frost Ettins (jotunal sized) and Honey Badgers (greater honey badger sized). 
Sounds like the best noble ever, as in, one that actually DOES things

That is the most hilariously ineffective military ever. I don't know why the heck they suck so much, but they do...
If I had to take a guess, it would be vomiting+probably not training as much as it's supposed to be, I'm more confused why none of the other military dwarves showed up

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50518 on: August 15, 2017, 11:50:48 am »

I think they just took awhile due to distance. I also had a bronze collosus last night slew it with 8civilian losses and no military injuries. I had them battle it on the surface cause haulers kept going up to fight it. Why are civilian dwarves so aggrssive this version? The never run away they just attack hostiles on sight.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50519 on: August 15, 2017, 01:42:48 pm »

The once-hopeful founders of Nishkikrost are coming to terms with the fear that they may be the last 13 Dwarves in the world.

Nevertheless the part time expedition leader/bookkeeper/manager/CMD/hammerer/broker gamely sketches out designs for a proposed temple to honor the neglected deities of the Strifeful Portals.

Sigun (frustrated): I just want a place to pray!
Deduk: Well, we have to move those temporary workshops next to the wagon first. And the wagon is sitting on the site too, come to think of it.
Sigun: But it's been so long.
Deduk: And you want a nice artificial waterfall to cleanse you with holy mist as you enter, right? Well it's a lot easier to put in the underground plumbing before installing the main floor.
Sigun: Actually, it's not all that much different. You just pull up a couple blocks. Or even leave them as dirt for the time being. It's prayers we need.
Deduk: No, the aqueduct tapping the brook from underneath comes first.
Sigun (grumbles): All our gods are about mountains, minerals, metals, jewels and wealth. They don't give a plump helmet about water.
Deduk (sanctimoniously): Nothing is holier than a pump stack, even a short one! (mutters) That's why we need to build the metal works and make them out of gold . . . .

Unlike some, I wasn't even trying to play a dead civ (quite the opposite, I'm very new and one of my to-practice goals was agreements with the liaison). Yes I had the embark warning and I knew that they stopped getting mentions in the Chronicle of Legends, but I assumed that the overworld produce in the embark screen meant there was a remnant community quietly hanging on somewhere. Apparently not.

What makes me feel really sad is that I've been reloading rather liberally as I see more efficient ways to plan my constructions and thus I erased the 2nd migrant wave that brought a family with a ten year old girl. I miss her joyful games of Make Believe.

Pages: 1 ... 3366 3367 [3368] 3369 3370 ... 3835