Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3368 3369 [3370] 3371 3372 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787361 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50535 on: August 25, 2017, 09:16:45 pm »

Dfhack auto assign chair/table/bed/etc. to mayor, I presume.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50536 on: August 26, 2017, 08:55:41 am »

No, that DFHack feature doesn't assign nicknames, and that's a screenshot from the engraving screen, not the room assignment screen.

Is it possible those are mayors from previous forts in your world? They might have kept their nicknames.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50537 on: August 26, 2017, 08:57:49 am »

Ah well. I presumed it was data kept in historical units, much like autochop. Haven't actually had mayoral position in enough flux to have this to be an issue.

Your guess beats mine, I guess.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #50538 on: August 26, 2017, 11:11:58 am »

No, that DFHack feature doesn't assign nicknames, and that's a screenshot from the engraving screen, not the room assignment screen.

Is it possible those are mayors from previous forts in your world? They might have kept their nicknames.
This is the first fort I have in this world though. I don't usually give dwarves nicknames either.

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50539 on: August 26, 2017, 02:49:12 pm »

I'm trying to train 2 hyenas.Is it possible to train them for war?Also 3 dwarfs got stuck in a cave and died by giant cave spiders.Oh and my miner is in a comma.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50540 on: August 26, 2017, 03:13:59 pm »

I'm trying to train 2 hyenas.Is it possible to train them for war?Also 3 dwarfs got stuck in a cave and died by giant cave spiders.Oh and my miner is in a comma.

You can check the wiki for all war-trainable animals.

Also:
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50541 on: August 26, 2017, 05:43:22 pm »

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Boatsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep Moving Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #50542 on: August 27, 2017, 11:33:37 am »

I once had dwarf traders with a barrel of Gremlin sweat for sale.

Just... who would harvest that? And why put it up for sale?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50543 on: August 27, 2017, 12:11:47 pm »

It must be a by-product of the gremlin labor camps. Several thousand gremlins pulling levers for the dwarves all day must make a lot of sweat.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50544 on: August 27, 2017, 01:39:57 pm »

It must be a by-product of the gremlin labor camps. Several thousand gremlins pulling levers for the dwarves all day must make a lot of sweat.

I mean, you can't let good sweat go to waste.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #50545 on: August 27, 2017, 05:07:40 pm »

I mean, you can't let good sweat go to waste.

if ur dwarves snort it they get happy thoughts. buy so much of it.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50546 on: August 28, 2017, 09:27:05 am »

I got a fort going, in a 4/9 Joyous Wild and 5/9 Terrifying biome.  It rains elf blood, that can make a dwarf go despair for a few days, although I have not seen dead walking. 

First goal was to capture GCS but I got distracted. 

I went to work filling 16 nickel minecarts for smelters, forges and a couple of glass making for the black sands. 
Then the rain distracts me to making a working bathtub with flushing connected to a well cistern and tap water from surface brook. 

Near-surface forges are up. The tub and hospital are up. 

I work on making steel and starting military.  Then I get distracted in setting almost everyone weaponsmith or armorsmith as their highest moodable skills.  End up using some naming convention. 
"Builder Urist" is a builder that does miner, mason, engraving, stone craft, and mechanic labor.
"Axe +Urist 1" is a potential axedwarf recruit.  The + denotes he likes a weapon or armor (bp, shirt, helm, greaves) and the 1 means he needs skill to level 1 to ensure highest mood. 
"Axe $Urist" name removes the + and 1 meaning he does not need to skill up for mood, and the $ means he is in a squad already. 
"Axe *$Urist" the * in the name means he had a mood and created an artifact. 
"Farmer Urist 11" the 11 means Urist is probably a migrant with 10 skill in something not weapon or armor.  They become farmers, food, weaver, clothier, or leather worker.

Anyway, I decided to cap pop at 60.  Turtle to dig a maze-pit entrance with shooting gallery. 
Then I get distracted and build a 7x7 surface walled fort for the military to train. 

A chimaera came on the surface, and I closed the depot gate and hatches.  The chimaera breathes fire, and the entire surface forest burns, collapsing trees for about a season.  It's an FB I think, but I put caged traps just in case and was getting ready to open the depot gate and charge my steel equipped noob militia.  My highest skilled soldiers have (novice) +3 weapon skill.  The rest are dabbling and adequate.

A giant also shows up on the surface so I open the depot.  I station everyone inside and wait to fight in a choke point hatch cover entrance.  Well, that was a bit anti-climatic as both chimaera and giant are caged. 

I might create an arena now; and  a flame thrower bunker with the chimaera. 

The maze pit is 5z deep, and working on the last level.  I then decided to create FB traps on the sides.  It's a room with raising bridges on both ends.  A floodgate, when destoyed will leak 2x 7/7 water above, flooding a grate below and water trigger a pressure plate to close the birdges.  That's the plan.

I should get back to catching GCS soon.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50547 on: August 28, 2017, 01:33:21 pm »

Another new fort in an old world: Helmsthrone was founded in 308 by The Bald Scraped Arch of The Paddle of Fealties.

Had an undead siege two months after arrival. They weren't actually a threat since they seemed just to mill around one spot on the map, but they were also blocking migrants and caravans to my weak little infant fort. When they hadn't left after a year of various trap tricks and baiting, I resorted to designating an open air tavern in the middle of the zombie horde. Incoming mercenaries broke the siege eventually, but the reputation of the fort might have suffered quite a bit. And the mess... oh dear.

Speaking of mercenaries, it's good to see a familiar face. Dobby the House-goblin from my earlier fort of Copperfell came in, wielding artifact arms and decked out in masterwork steel, and immediately petitioned to join the fortress. I of course approved.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:36:41 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50548 on: August 28, 2017, 01:55:38 pm »

Quote from: 'Sanctume'
I have been distracted by distraction's distraction's distraction's distraction's distraction
Heh. FYI, dabbling skill is enough to mood, though it is easier to set a forge on min-max dabbling and repeat.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50549 on: August 28, 2017, 05:16:07 pm »

A chimaera came on the surface, and I closed the depot gate and hatches.  The chimaera breathes fire, and the entire surface forest burns, collapsing trees for about a season.  It's an FB I think, but I put caged traps just in case and was getting ready to open the depot gate and charge my steel equipped noob militia.  My highest skilled soldiers have (novice) +3 weapon skill.  The rest are dabbling and adequate.

Did you mod in Chimeras/Chimaeras? They don't exist by default in the game.

Quote from: wiki
Chimeras are fanciful creatures which are merely the stuff of legends. They do not actually exist, appearing only in engravings as the fancy of artists.
Pages: 1 ... 3368 3369 [3370] 3371 3372 ... 3835