Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3373 3374 [3375] 3376 3377 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5847993 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50610 on: September 10, 2017, 01:26:45 pm »

Can you actually set labours on him in-game or just in Therapist?

I found his cage in the stockpile with his corpse in it, while the other black bear people were still alive. I assume this means he was friendly, and that I probably could have assigned labours to him, since they don't need to eat when they're not friendly.
The wiki seems to say that if the Grizzly Man had killed a dorf and then you trained him he would remain hostile to the fort and still kill people.

You can tame animal people with a kennel same as wolves. But I don't believe you can assign labors unless they've gone through the whole petition-to-join-fortress process visitors at your tavern and/or library do. Try it on the black bear people and find out.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50611 on: September 10, 2017, 02:03:20 pm »

The Fortress Eturnoval "Boulderbride" is a megaproject to build a tunnel connecting the home continent "Land of Merchants" with the relatively peaceful landmass known as "The Trustworthy continents", which is more of one big mountainous island that was once inhabited by a civilization of elves in the early days of the world before they were wiped out by megabeasts. By luck there was a spot where a single 9x1 embark could bridge the ocean dividing the two landmasses. And once the initial digging started it turned out the rock beneath the ocean is full of iron ore with flux stone on either side! This site was destined to become more than a throw-away project. Architectural plans were drawn up to build an above ground fort using the stones mined out of the tunnel.

The founding dwarves were excellent bean counters and managed to fill a cornucopia of food and booze into their wagon once it had been cooked and brew. Unfortunately they weren't good architects and several miners died due to bad planning and impatience. To make things worse, a vengeful tree spirit flattened another dwarf (so there's a bug if you cave in a tree it'll reappear at some point in its original location and immediately fall again)

Then the fortress got attacked by the local necromancer who sent a contingent of undead corpses. The work on the tunnel at this time had been going well! The work on the above ground fort had not been going well. In the rush to get all the building done there hadn't been time to form a proper military. Even all the endless iron ore was just lying on the ground waiting to be smelted into steel at a later date. An evacuation order was made to retreat into the tunnels. Most of the food and drink was abandoned on the surface. A hasty attempt at blocking up the tunnels from the inside failed and the undead slaughter the entire fortress population.

Except one "Orthoclase" Dodokasiz, one of the original founding seven dwarves, working at the very forefront of the tunnel. His is one of the tales that prove that the only thing a dwarf really needs is a trusty pick. The first thing he did was finish the damn tunnel. The final stretch was a long way from three tile wide entrance of smoothed stone. Just a claustrophobic simple tunnel that emerges on the other continent as an unmarked hole in the ground. But at least nobody could say that Boulderbride was for naught! Next he turned to his own survival. He dug his way into the natural underground caverns, collected some mushrooms and dug himself a small shelter. Which he locked the door of. Now he has a small supply of drink and food that'll last at least a year before he has to venture out of his new home again. He spends his time making slabs and creating memorials for the brave fallen dwarves. The only thought comforting him is his work. He is starting to get lonely. Presumably the necromancer will get bored and the undead corpses will wander off, new migrants will arrive to continue the great work. But I think Orthoclase will remain as a hermit. I don't think he ever actually saw anybody die. He's just not ready to live on the outside again.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50612 on: September 10, 2017, 02:52:35 pm »

Was working on making a garden area for my fortress, breaching the roof to give it some light, when suddenly I noticed a half complete wooden building over on the other side of the mountain from my entrance... Apparently I abandoned a warehouse where I was stockpiling stone, as well as a couple beds inside. Wish I hadn't actually, that was a lot of wood and I don't want to waste time sending someone to deconstruct it.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50613 on: September 10, 2017, 02:59:42 pm »

Could cave it in. Instant deconstruction.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50614 on: September 10, 2017, 03:59:16 pm »

Got the wood back. Now it's being used to make two caskets for the haulers who died in it.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50615 on: September 10, 2017, 11:50:40 pm »

When you slaughter three animals for food...and all the dwarves end up letting the food rot because apparently my food stockpile got bugged and they wouldn't take anything to it. Also remembered to turn pots off in the furniture stockpile since they won't use them if the stockpile has them turned on. Ahh, DF...

In other news, re-finding my love of this game. Also re-finding my wonders of what to do with it since I always seem to end up getting bored with nothing interesting happening...one day I really need to think up a megaproject to do.

EDIT: And the award for most dwarvenly animal in the fort goes to this cat who was randomly down in the cavern layer, got attacked by a crundle and proceeded to beat the crap out of it until it got bored and wandered off. The crundle is covered in scratches and nauseous from bruised guts. It finally died via exploding head thanks to a nearby macedwarf.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:53:17 am by FortunaDraken »
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50616 on: September 12, 2017, 09:07:59 pm »

The dwarf to whom I assign Wood Burning as needed — literally the first day the temple opens he begins meditating on fire and praying to our deity of fire. It's a little creepy how much he enjoys his job.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:43:22 pm by mightymushroom »

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50617 on: September 13, 2017, 06:03:45 am »

I'm beginning to think that either my world is very dead (odd, because it's only year 23) or I've embarked in a truly dead area of it, because I'm close to being able to become the capital and I haven't seen a *single* megabeast of any kind. The goblins came to say hello and got slaughtered by my military, I've only had one casualty (classic "dwarf climbs up tree and can't get down" syndrome), and the caverns have only thrown Blind Cave Ogres, Giant Cave Toads and Giant Olms at me, along with a single Rutherer and Green Devourer. Where are all the FBs? Where are the titans/dragons/rocs/whatever? They can't all be dead by now, surely...

Time to delve into legends mode because this is baffling me. Also it's boring. I might have to piss off the humans at this rate, or attempt to delve into clownland.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

XArgon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ATTACK_VERB:wink]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50618 on: September 13, 2017, 03:48:49 pm »

Was reviewing the engravings with which my dorfs decorated the tavern.
A couple of them depicted the event of the fortress foundation, made by the same dwarf...
One of them was titled "The End of Compassion", and the other "The Famine of Corruption"...
Well... checked that guy's personality to find out if he was, by any chance, a grim pessimist disillusioned with the fortress.
Nope. Turned out to be a by-the-book Dwarf - with total disregard for nature (he'd rather see it turned into a mining pit), great respect for craft, family and merrymaking.

...I'll keep an eye on him.
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50619 on: September 13, 2017, 03:54:24 pm »

That was. Odd. Everything was nice and clean, I look away, and then blood covered everything. And after about ten seconds of confusion I got the game over screen, everyone died. Welp, I guess... That was fun? The hell happened? Just embarked, set up some stockpiles and workshops and everyone dropped dead in unison.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50620 on: September 13, 2017, 03:59:34 pm »

Sounds like something was waiting for you. Check legends for the fort, should say what happened.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50621 on: September 13, 2017, 04:21:16 pm »

Aye there's a purgatory wolf residing there, that'd definitely be able to kill everyone quick.

min40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50622 on: September 13, 2017, 05:24:32 pm »

This is my new religion. Right now I'm building a temple for her Glorious D cup "Mountains".  ;)
https://imgur.com/a/s8Inf

Tontomanzz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50623 on: September 13, 2017, 06:48:14 pm »

Created an impressive vomit generating room, or anti cave adaption area if I had done it earlier heh.

Made a large open pit to put in a nice meeting room open to the outside.  Then to the North a Temple, West my Library, East the Tavern.  So all those heavy traffic rooms have to pass through the open meeting room.

Ohhhh boy the vomit when I fired it up.... lolz.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50624 on: September 13, 2017, 07:05:39 pm »

This is my new religion. Right now I'm building a temple for her Glorious D cup "Mountains".  ;)
https://imgur.com/a/s8Inf

This made me laugh a lot more than it should have xD

Her name is great to. Ok.
Pages: 1 ... 3373 3374 [3375] 3376 3377 ... 3836