Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3374 3375 [3376] 3377 3378 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787813 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50625 on: September 14, 2017, 11:58:38 pm »

That was. Odd. Everything was nice and clean, I look away, and then blood covered everything. And after about ten seconds of confusion I got the game over screen, everyone died. Welp, I guess... That was fun? The hell happened? Just embarked, set up some stockpiles and workshops and everyone dropped dead in unison.
What kind of biome was it?

If it was evil the rain could have caused a syndrome that made everyone bleed out.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50626 on: September 15, 2017, 06:06:30 am »

That was. Odd. Everything was nice and clean, I look away, and then blood covered everything. And after about ten seconds of confusion I got the game over screen, everyone died. Welp, I guess... That was fun? The hell happened? Just embarked, set up some stockpiles and workshops and everyone dropped dead in unison.
What kind of biome was it?

If it was evil the rain could have caused a syndrome that made everyone bleed out.

Or maybe it was a Scorching biome? In some places it can rain water hot enough to melt everything alive.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Monomstodir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50627 on: September 16, 2017, 02:04:14 pm »

Blazedoor has just defeated a dragon! Which went down comparatively easily, vs the first forgotten beast to attack the fort, which was a giant leech made of amethyst with a deadly dust syndrome that made everyone's skin rot off, but was the first time I've had a dragon attack me. I've even let the legendary bone carver take a break from militia training to make me a nice dragon skull totem.

Most of the aboveground is still on fire, and the elf diplomat may have got caught out in the firestorm, but no fatalities otherwise.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50628 on: September 16, 2017, 02:09:20 pm »

I've decided to attempt something I've never tried before, and that is a fort with two halves. One half of the fort has only two dwarves, named Adam and Eve, who will be living underground, forever, until the end of time. They're doing pretty well because I made the fort for the express purpose of making a fort with only two dwarves. The second half is a little more... well look at it this way, they weren't supposed to survive this long. They keep drinking out of the river to survive and hunting vermin, so I said screw it, deconstructed the wagon and built a fishery workshop and then told them to start fishing. These guys are going to survive, and they've already stolen everything that one merchant caravan owned. Yay!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50629 on: September 16, 2017, 03:10:10 pm »

Wow. I didn't really expect to survive that.

For years Helmsthrone has been sieged regularly by the local goblin civilization The Bad Curses, usually single squads of archers who never even got as far as the entrance, no big deal. This year, however, they sent something else: a full invasion force of .34.11 proportions. Squad after squad of goblins in full war gear appeared on the other side of the river... I stopped counting at hundred invaders but there were surely enough them. Helmsthrone's tiny militia (four melee + four marksdwarves) readied themselves to fight against hopeless odds.

For some reason all goblins decided to swim across instead of using the nearby bridge, jostling and pushing each other so that only few of them got through at a time. This allowed the militia to engage them in small groups and gradually whittle the horde down until the rest of the invaders fled. Dwarven casualties: zero.

The battle lasted nearly a month and in the end I counted 51 goblin corpses littering the area. Two months later my haulers are still doing cleanup and gradually going insane from the stress of seeing so many dead goblins.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 02:55:59 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50630 on: September 16, 2017, 08:23:18 pm »

Tometowers keeps on keeping on after another lengthy break.

A useless hunter got killed by a wolverine.
Goblinite delivery let me test the new bunker and its working great, would be better if idiots didn't insist on hauling the gold doors they finally got up the mountain halfway back down it.  ::)
Palace throne room is 80% done, as is the royal quarters. Monarch finally living in mountaintop palace as was the fort's goal all along.
Human caravan exploded self again. Bizarrely in the one area I can guarantee there are no body parts.  ::)
Got another artifact floodgate, that makes 3 artifact floodgates and two grates. I guess this a sign from the gods I need to build some sort of unnecessarily complex plumbing system.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50631 on: September 17, 2017, 12:46:35 am »

Brought only one pick because reasons. Was just setting up the stairway to the mine etc, looked at my miner... Idle. Okay. He must just be bored. Right? Right? Nope. A freaking langur took our only pick.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 12:52:03 am by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

sanguisorba

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50632 on: September 17, 2017, 02:13:04 am »

I had a fire-breathing flying snail forgotten beast. I found out that dwarves won't attack something that's shrouded in smoke and lost half of military. Appropriately the snail's aspect was suicide and caverns. It died and I think it must have burned itself to death because my dwarves certainly did not kill it.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50633 on: September 17, 2017, 07:24:40 am »

I'm stilling playing my last 0.34 fort, in which I have a vampire duke and a vampire king.

The duke just had a strange mood recently and created an artifact mechanism.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50634 on: September 17, 2017, 07:45:06 am »

Brought only one pick because reasons. Was just setting up the stairway to the mine etc, looked at my miner... Idle. Okay. He must just be bored. Right? Right? Nope. A freaking langur took our only pick.

They also took our hopes and dreams.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50635 on: September 17, 2017, 08:23:47 am »

Fellfortress is situated between a massive sloping volcano, the Furious Gate, and a smaller, unnamed hillock about half the size. At the base of these earthen monoliths is a small lazy river, the Contentious House. The fortress has a small entrance cut between the mountains, into the volcano, with a boxy gatehouse half finished. At the entrance to the gatehouse is a drawbridge over a moat, formed of the Contentious House by the ingenuity of dwarves. The moat forms an island around the trade depot, with two exterior bridges allowing passage to the island.

Near the top of the volcano, under it's stony skin, is the magma forges. A central stairway leads down, skirting the mountain's fiery heart. At the base of the volcano, the fortress proper begins. Farms and pigsty provide food, and an expansive, four room complex is the living quarters. Deeper, into the bedrock, craft stations and masonry rooms sit right above the entrance to the mines.
Who knows what lies deeper yet?

They also took our hopes and dreams.

But they can never take OUR FREEDOM!
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50636 on: September 17, 2017, 08:26:00 am »

Goblins arrived! Lotta goblins for the first siege this fort had had. Thankfully no one died due to bronze armour being made of win when there's no iron on the map.

Though it started off even more fun than goblins. I got my very first ever snatcher! Imagine my surprise, yes they do exist...and it's a human? Okay then, odd. Human thief snatcher.

Either the snatcher or the goblins were part of the same faction of humans that visit my tavern, by the way. Which caused an immediate hostile reaction from the dancer and two military dudes who'd come to visit. Luckily one of my speardwarves had been in the tavern at the time that I ordered the military against the gobbos, and he and two war dogs proceeded to beat the shit out of the dancer and military dudes without them doing much. But that was interesting.

A different fort that I started up for curiosity's sake had it's own fun element. I used reveal in order to work out where I was situating taverns and the like (must be in all rock layers, I hate random soil being in my dining halls). Started going down layers and it basically went "Soil, soil, soil, some rock-- iron yay! Full rock layer-- is that the first cavern layer?"

Turned out the first cavern was REALLY HIGH UP, it's only about 5 z-levels under the surface. Only a few levels deep though, so I just found a way through and planned the fort out underneath it. But man, that's going to be interesting to breach. That higher layer is where 90% of my iron ore is.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 08:29:32 am by FortunaDraken »
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50637 on: September 18, 2017, 03:03:58 pm »

Ïteb Boltauthored, a veteran militia captain with over two decades of service in an earlier fort, was suddenly getting very stressed for some reason. I decided to take a closer look and found out he "personally values peace over war" and "dreams of bringing lasting peace to the world." Obviously he isn't really cut out for military life personality-wise, but was he always like that? I'm sure his pacifist tendencies would have acted up years ago...

Can a dwarf change his values as a result of an argument in fortress mode?

Uhhh... welcome?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50638 on: September 18, 2017, 04:13:09 pm »

Yes, values can change through arguments.
But most likely he just drank a lot and didn't let it bother him. Stress is very, very slow in the current version.

Incidentally, in a recent world of mine the general of the dark elves, actually an elf defector, lead every battle (on his cave dragon) in the war that eventually annihilated his former Elf civ. He dreamt of bringing peace to the world too...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 04:16:12 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50639 on: September 20, 2017, 12:16:10 am »

Fort got set up fairly quickly—hit my population cap of 60 within the second year, had a lovely living and dining area complete with a temple and apartments, had my production up and running, well on my way to making a legendary throne room for the barony I was bound to get. Military was starting to get set up. And..... hmm. No word from our friends the goblins.
I double-checked the raws—yes, I'd lowered the population requirement for getting sieged. Checked in with my bookkeeper—yes, we were rich. Six million dwarf bucks and counting, more than twice the siege requirement. So where are the forces of evil?
Hmm. Let's check legends mode. All right, here's the goblins, here's more goblins, here's the humans I'm at war with, here's a bunch of Greenpeace elven civilizations... Now, let's see I'll just
scroll
scroll
scroll
scroll
scroll
scroll
scroll
scroll
scroll
oh, there's my fort!

...I guess I should plan on waiting 3-5 business days for my shipment of Dark Forces of Evil to arrive.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.
Pages: 1 ... 3374 3375 [3376] 3377 3378 ... 3835