Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3382 3383 [3384] 3385 3386 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5843549 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50745 on: October 02, 2017, 01:12:30 am »

A dragon arrived at the south-east corner of the map. It promptly melted two children who were playing make believe all the way down there for some reason, then as the alarm was sounded it destroyed the Brainchanneled Road before being met with staunch opposition in the fort's military. It managed to melt two fisherdwarf stragglers, and mortally wound a hammerdwarf mercenary, but not before the local Axe Lord bit it and shook it while the local Spearmaster poked a hole in its head, where it fell down dead.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50746 on: October 03, 2017, 02:16:19 am »

My vampire fortress had two little problems recently:

1) A vampire child had a strange mood and asked for metal bars, but he didn't go to get them. I had to forbidden his other materials to prevent him from going bonker, for now.

2) A dragon came. I locked the hatch which was an artifact. After setting up some cage traps, I had to use one of my vampires to lure it in. The bait died after blocking many dragonfire attacks but the dragon was finally caught. The dragon also destroyed the POW camp and released half of the goblins, who died on my weapon traps shortly after.

Edit*

OH, I think we have another problem now: the hatch is burning, forever.

Well, I loaded an old save because they seemed to have pathing problem after forest fire.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:45:24 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50747 on: October 03, 2017, 03:22:31 am »

After loading the save, however, the dragon didn't come. Instead, an Ettin child came and attacked the elven caravan. She grabbed some prickle berries from the donkey and began to beat up the elves with it. Then she died on a weapon trap.

The vampire child finally finished the artifact: a goblin bone earing.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50748 on: October 03, 2017, 03:48:17 am »

haha that is pretty awesome

Would submerging it in water extinguish the fire?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50749 on: October 03, 2017, 01:17:42 pm »

I think so, yes.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50750 on: October 03, 2017, 01:58:34 pm »

I think so, yes.

The real question is whether you can extinguish fire by submerging it in magma.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50751 on: October 04, 2017, 06:05:58 am »

If the hatch is wooden, kinda. Wooden objects dropped into magma disappear (doesn't work the other way around).

E: I was bored and created another exactly day-long oscillator:

Cart does 2 oscillation cycles each on both 3-ramp incrementers and changes track in the south.
▒▒╗╔▒▒
╝╚
=++=

▒▒╚=

Because placing a 48x or 50x bumper to 25 or 24-step setups would be easy.
Track/ramps in pink, medium track stop in yellow. 5x4...Feh. Could be smaller.
If you replace the SE NE ramp with NS, you can place a minecart in the SE wall square that will accept 32620*weight westward and 19560*weight as northward inputs once a day i.e. Could use 30 weight input cart, 83 weight output cart on high track stop to make a month counter.

(Alternatively, could install pressure plate on the NW track east of track stop.)

And for something a little different:

||

║╗

50k (- iirc 17) step repeater {timer, as it won't be able to pay 10 floor friction to move on corner/plate}, for those pesky hunger, thrist, and mood things.

Counting counterclockwise from the sole cart on ramp, the materials are oak (hits next cart with 4890 every step, gets pushed sideways by 2 every step), chestnut (hits next with 3390), oak (hits next with 1048), kapok(hits next with 38).

If they're all same material, makes passable 217-step bridge waver.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:28:21 pm by Fleeting Frames »

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50752 on: October 07, 2017, 02:54:07 am »

Chained up a few goblins... to my horror I realised that chained invaders now not only 1. scare passing citizens, they also 2. attack any passing units, including animals and the citizen that just chained them up.

It's certainly more realistic this way, but also unfortunate that I can't execute prisoners without a fight (or citizens inevitably getting injured, even with naked invaders) anymore.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50753 on: October 07, 2017, 05:34:38 am »

Jabberer hatchlings have hatched.

:D :D :D

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50754 on: October 07, 2017, 09:35:15 am »

Chained up a few goblins... to my horror I realised that chained invaders now not only 1. scare passing citizens, they also 2. attack any passing units, including animals and the citizen that just chained them up.

It's certainly more realistic this way, but also unfortunate that I can't execute prisoners without a fight (or citizens inevitably getting injured, even with naked invaders) anymore.

Gets even worse where undead are involved, as soon as they are out of their cage they attack even if they are being moved to a chain.

This kinda makes them smarter than most other creatures, cause I'm pretty sure even hydras just let a dwarf drag them to a new holding space.

Boatsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep Moving Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #50755 on: October 07, 2017, 08:39:58 pm »

I gave the dwarf trade caravan about 10 young dragons in gold cages (I spawned a breeding pair of dragons and they have been churning out eggs ever since the first clutch hatched; currently trying to manage a dragonsplosion).

I wonder if this will lead to something bad happening... oh well. What's done is done.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50756 on: October 08, 2017, 10:07:20 pm »

A "dragonsplosion".

You, sir, have achieved Dwarf Fortress's Win Condition #0: Prepare A Fiery Apocalypse.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50757 on: October 09, 2017, 04:45:11 am »

Would giving dragons to a caravan result them being freely available as trade goods after that? I seem to remember the game handling them a bit funnily, in the lines of "if the civ possesses even one of x, an infinite amount of x will be available through caravans." IIRC there was a case of caravans arriving with bags of magma after a minecart full of magma was sold to them.

Meanwhile, in Helmsthrone, many little stories unfold at the same time:

Little Endok Lashshifts, one years old, was again playing where he shouldn't and got cornered by a Blind Cave Ogre. I thought he would be finished but to my surprise the ogre went immediately down unconscious, allowing Endok to escape to safety. Combat reports showed Endok punched the monster once HARD right to the nadgers, gelding it and causing it to pass out from pain. How did he even reach that high up?  I'll have to keep an eye on that one.

A Hungry Head was staggering around the third cavern with a silver crossbow bolt stuck into its head, probably left there from some confrontation with passing mercenaries. Mason Degėl Ringweight happened by and charged the hapless creature outright. In a shocking display of brutality Degėl ripped off the bolt from the Hungry Head's head and started stabbing the beast with it until it bled out from its wounds. Yes, it could have caused some danger at some point but that amount of violence was uncalled for... I'll probably have to look into some anger management courses for Degėl.

To prevent farm animal-splosions, all adult male animals were ordered to be gelded. Ļteb Earthgrowl, the happiest odd-job man in the fortress, immediately took to the task and led animal after animal to the workshop to have their little snip operation done. Great work, Ļteb, it's always nice to see a professional at work.
Only one thing... Ļteb is blind. How does he do it? You'd think that kind of work would require some kind of hand-eye-coordination to be successful; or does he just grope around until he finds something that's about the right size and shape? I really don't want to know, but at the same time I'm really, really curious.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50758 on: October 09, 2017, 06:10:15 am »

Ļteb is blind. How does he do it?

Well blind people are known to rely on their other senses to a surprising degree, such as in this case.. err..

Smell?

Taste?

??? :o

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50759 on: October 09, 2017, 06:13:20 am »

Hearing, and in this case also previous memory; easy to know nads' between the legs anyway.
IIRC there was a case of caravans arriving with bags of magma after a minecart full of magma was sold to them.
And here I thought that remained untested.

Also, hehe @Endok. Good parenting!
Pages: 1 ... 3382 3383 [3384] 3385 3386 ... 3836