Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3394 3395 [3396] 3397 3398 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788295 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50925 on: November 13, 2017, 05:36:16 pm »

I am confident the ten layer deep drop will be sufficient to kill most invaders.  If not, the upright steel spikes lining the bottom should make sure of it.

Bonus points if this drop turns out to be the precise dimensions for the Shaft of Enlightenment.  :)

..wait, no, you should actually build one.
That bug got fixed in 0.40.

I was wondering why nobody seemed to be making use of the humongous amount of research done on it. It makes me vaguely sad.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50926 on: November 13, 2017, 06:27:35 pm »

Oh, I am sure the brave goblin thanatonauts will find enlightenment at the end of a pointy piece of metal.

I am told they see a brilliant light just before everything goes dark.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #50927 on: November 14, 2017, 01:39:22 pm »

Finally returned to this game after a long hiatus.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6tSHokjp44aPxm7g1

"Ere the giant wolves get hungry," says my intro message (for those who won't/cant access the link).

I may or may not have made a mistake. I'm settling untamed wilds in a place where there aren't too many trees. Well, hopefully my dwarves aren't all gonna get eaten.

EDIT: All I see are otters, an alligator, ravens, and some Giant Otters. Not very many herbalist-able plants. No giant wolves, thankfully

Double EDIT: When I tried to save the game it froze.

I was using DFHack's latest version, and no other mods/tilesets.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:57:26 pm by AzyWng »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #50928 on: November 14, 2017, 03:29:22 pm »

Started my first fort in years. Found a nice site with iron and such ... and a nine layer aquifer, which all the iron ores on the aquifer layers. Managed to dig around it with the help of DFHack, leaving me with a bunch of flux stone, copper, gold, and silver, plus zinc.

Decided to go with added challenge of a lot of surface stuff vs. underground only, and not using magma forges. Have gotten fairly lucky with the moods and popped a legendary weaponsmith and a legendary armorsmith thus far ...
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #50929 on: November 14, 2017, 04:05:10 pm »

embarked in a nearby region that had part of it in a forest. This time I was able to save the game proper.

This time the game warned about leopards.

No animals were in sight by the time we were finished embarking.

Plenty of plants and a river with fish this time around.

The game seems to be stuttering a bit, but saving works, so I'm (relatively) happy.

Not sure what metals are present yet.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50930 on: November 15, 2017, 02:26:06 am »

The entire bottom of this fort just flooded. With lava. I hadn't gone near the magma tube we found yet. WAT.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #50931 on: November 15, 2017, 05:45:24 am »

The entire bottom of this fort just flooded. With lava. I hadn't gone near the magma tube we found yet. WAT.

Honestly, I have a lot of fun with recovering these forts. Two ways to possibly recover from this:

1. Pumpstack, but it has to be magma safe (iron, steel, glass are the usual choices)
  - Connect it at the lowest point
2. Edge glitch. Dig below flooded part of the fort to the edge of the map, smooth the edge, then carve a fortification in

Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50932 on: November 15, 2017, 06:03:08 am »

Honestly, I have a lot of fun with recovering these forts. Two ways to possibly recover from this:

1. Pumpstack, but it has to be magma safe (iron, steel, glass are the usual choices)
2. Edge glitch. Dig below flooded part of the fort to the edge of the map, smooth the edge, then carve a fortification in

I may try the second, honestly when I found out what was happening I spent a few minutes laughing my ass off... Every single craftdwarf was whining about lost masterworks and disgraced art etc, centered on the problem and boom, magma. Everywhere. It's consumed the dining hall, storehouse, tavern lowest farm, and the militia quarters. Thank god it didn't get the stills.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #50933 on: November 15, 2017, 06:49:23 am »

I may try the second, honestly when I found out what was happening I spent a few minutes laughing my ass off... Every single craftdwarf was whining about lost masterworks and disgraced art etc, centered on the problem and boom, magma. Everywhere. It's consumed the dining hall, storehouse, tavern lowest farm, and the militia quarters. Thank god it didn't get the stills.

Mine posting screenshots? I'd like to see this and possibly see if I can figure out where the lava came from.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50934 on: November 15, 2017, 06:58:39 am »

Mine posting screenshots? I'd like to see this and possibly see if I can figure out where the lava came from.

Actually figured it out just a bit ago: came from the caverns. Reveal on dfhack let me look around, for some reason a magma tube on the second cavern is missing a line of stone, caused it to flood that cavern layer, and, I'm guessing, start pumping lava from the magma sea into the adjoining layers, which my bottom two layers have open access to. If my internet will let me upload a screenshot or two on this slowdown I'll pop them up here.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #50935 on: November 15, 2017, 07:39:03 am »

My goal on founding Paperweights was to finally teach myself how to manage a magma pump stack; I have yet to do much with Armok's blood in-fort, and I'd like to change that.

A magma pipe was finally found on the third cavern layer, and we began the slow process of construction the stack. Despite the thorough research on the subject, we still had a few... errors.

Still, I am proud to announce success. The magma forges are up and running, and maybe we can finally turn our efforts to finding flux to upgrade the militia to steel.

Now that our purpose has been achieved, it is time to turn the fort to the grand purpose of !!Science!! (maybe not all of the flammable sort). I'm now Dabbling skill in minecart usage and have assigned a few humans to the Fortress Guard for the express purpose of testing the effects of tattered or missing clothing on the psyche. Unfortunately, the first subject has been revealed as utterly shameless ("does not feel anything on being uncovered").

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50936 on: November 15, 2017, 08:42:38 am »

Generated new small world with 100 minimum volcanoes, 600 titans, 30 megabeast caves, 60 semi-megabeast caves. Started a new fort on a volcano with plenty of plants and trees in the area, easy mode right?  Embarked with one miner and pick,  one woodcutter but no axes.  While carving access to the top of the volcano, I accidentally cause a cave-in,  my miner is either smashed by the debris or gets knocked into the volcano, either way he's missing, good-bye strong and tough dude.

But I have enough mined out to build a smelter and forge on the volcano and make new picks, so I keep going.

And of course because I embarked on a 3x3 site with the volcano in the middle, my wagon is on the rim of the volcano, and my dwarfs who eat some of the food I took along drop the bags when they are done with them, some of the bags fall ontop of the turkeys I took as livestock, one turkey gets struck by a falling grape bag and dies. Hmmm.. must find way to militarize plant-fiber bags filled with grapes. 

Planning on turning this into an above-ground and below-ground fort.  50-60 dwarfs max,  maybe have everyone in the military for 1-2 months a year. Have a necromancer tower, goblins we are at war with,  humans, elves, and dwarfs as neighbors. Have 140 cap on invaders, with 40 animal invaders cap.

Gotta find some more metal, get armor and weapon production going, start some above ground and below ground farms. 

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50937 on: November 15, 2017, 12:29:38 pm »

I started looking at my mega project, and trying to recap what I've done so far. 

I saw a small note that I wanted to build 2z tall rooms so that it look nicer when views from Armok Vision.  So I am deconstruction 2nd floor to make it extended walls.  Lots of retracting bridge scaffolding. 

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
  • Back after a long hiatus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50938 on: November 15, 2017, 05:20:55 pm »

Just encountered a Forgotten Beast that was apparently friendly. I had believed that I had the caverns entirely walled off (which I typically do until I am confident they can be explored safely) until I got a notification that he had destroyed a willow door. Panicked, I zoomed to him on the map only to find that he was standing right next to my Legendary weaponsmith. I lingered at this sight with the game paused for a few moments before sighing and accepting defeat. After I unpaused, I noticed that not only was he not killing my weaponsmith, he wasn't killing anyone, nor was he destroying any more buildings. In fact, it seemed that he even opened one of the bedroom doors instead of simply bashing it down. I watched him for a little while as my dwarves just casually passed on by as if this was any given day for them, but eventually decided that I was probably living on borrowed time; I stationed my military squad near him to see if they would attack him automatically, which they did. I told my brother about it and he asked if the FB even fought back. I checked the combat logs and I didn't find any indication that it did. So I may very well have slaughtered the one pacifist Forgotten Beast in existence.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #50939 on: November 15, 2017, 06:56:08 pm »

I caught a GCS! Time to start collecting forgotten beasts!
Pages: 1 ... 3394 3395 [3396] 3397 3398 ... 3835