Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3405 3406 [3407] 3408 3409 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788113 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51090 on: December 02, 2017, 11:17:52 am »

I just squee'd and made a little dance when I used the manager tab (and subsequently, the workshop profile tab).

CONDITIONS!!! And more added wonderfulness. Just wow.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #51091 on: December 02, 2017, 02:28:44 pm »

So I had a Fortress that got attacked mid-bridge construction by a Werelama. I thought it had killed everyone stuck outside, but it seems it bit a dwarf child.

Not being able to command the child to seal them away, and the fort being pretty young (not even dug bedrooms yet) I figured I'd just abandon and reclaim instead of dealing with a constantly shapeshifting murder child. I'd already lost a few dwarves to opening the caverns too early to get water, so reclaiming with some less-traumatised dwarves would be useful since the basic embark seemed like a good location. And the world is neat too, a 75% goblin population with the elves, humans and dwarfs all forced into the bottom left corner of the world by the aggressive goblins, not that things were helped by the humans and elves waging constant wars with each other.

Abandoning turned out to be a mistake, as it seems either a lot of my dorfs were bit without me noticing or that if you abandon with a were-creature, most of your fort turn into hostile werecreatures that haunt the halls and constantly ambush any reclaiming dwarfs.

Needless to say, all but one of my reclaimers were killed or hospitalised. Fortunately I sealed off the caverns before abandoning, and it seems like  the majority of werelamadwarves were spawned in the cavern and busy ambushing cavern creatures beyond reach of me. Armok help them when I decide to open those caverns though, which I need to do at some point since the cavern is the only source of wood on the map.

So now I wait, with the one furnace operator diligantly cleaning up and tending to the hospitalised dwarves. Waiting for migrants to come, clean up the random items around the fort, and form an army to raid first the caverns, then the neighbouring goblin towns (the whole reason I wanted to start the fort).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 02:44:10 pm by MorleyDev »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51092 on: December 02, 2017, 03:21:29 pm »

I just squee'd and made a little dance when I used the manager tab (and subsequently, the workshop profile tab).

Conditions? That's so 2016, man. You haven't played in a while, have you? :)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51093 on: December 02, 2017, 05:30:26 pm »

I am traumatised.  As I was sitting in the library of Bellrings, the expedition I sent out to the ruined halls of Trustshoot returned.  He bore a rich haul - Tomes of knowledge thought lost to dwarvenkind forever when the cyclops Osmost Waveleaps the Deer of Lobsters destroyed the last citadel of the Work of Scrapes and slaughtered its inhabitants.  In those books, though...

There was once a thriving civilization of our people in the northeastern lands.  This knowledge hit me like a bolt out of the blue.  All the elders in the mountainhalls swore that such a kingdom never existed but here, before me, was evidence that they were wrong.  Even worse was their fate.  The High Plank was destroyed by ELVES.  The filthy leaf-eaters swept down on them and exterminated them, all of them.  The Couple of Assault, the Simple Deer, the Waxy Dawn and the ironically named Cheerful Sweetness joined forces to sweep their cities one by one from the map.

Somehow, the mountainhomes must be told.  Despite our current war with the goblin kingdoms, something must be done.  THIS WILL NOT STAND.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51094 on: December 02, 2017, 07:47:27 pm »

Conditions? That's so 2016, man. You haven't played in a while, have you? :)
Dayum, I must have been too preoccupied with testing taverns and libraries in the 2016 version to notice the c on the manager screen.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51095 on: December 02, 2017, 11:37:31 pm »

I've got two necromancers who tried to sneak in locked in a room filled with refuse, and a corpse or two. Sadly, it doesn't look like either brought books, but those are pretty easy to get now.

They're also trapped in there with a kitten, who discovered them before they could go into my very under-equipped militia's training room (might have saved the fort.)

EDIT: A minotaur showed up, but is just standing by the edge of the map. I also set up to cage traps for the necros on the only exit, and all they're doing is standing there, even my civilians walk right over them to pick up refuse.

EDIT2: On attempting to build a cage trap under them, they got up, and went out the door into a cage trap.

EDIT3: Caught the minotaur.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 02:55:30 am by ☼Another☼ »

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51096 on: December 03, 2017, 05:30:20 am »

I just had a weresheep attack my fort of 49 dwarves. The closest thing to a defense I have set up right now is a drawbridge. When it attacked the livestock, it bought me just enough time to raise the drawbridge and band together some miners and woodcutters to attack it as soon as it turned back into whatever creature it really was. This failed, as by the time the drawbridge had lowered, the guy was already halfway to the edge of the map, and the ad-hoc squad was not fast enough. Seems like they only start charging when they can actually see their target.

So, I just lost all my livestock (although not a lot of animals), and I am unable to butcher the corpses as they were killed by someone outside of my fort. On the flip side, since everything it attacked is now dead, this means that I won't have to deal with containing an infection in my fortress.

In my previous 44.x fort, I had also had a werebeast attack, but I didn't have anyone outside and it was not seen until it was already inside the hallway. I was able to get away with it because I had a bunch of monster hunters and relaxing warriors sitting in the tavern, but I didn't have any of those this time.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:33:34 am by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51097 on: December 03, 2017, 12:46:02 pm »

The Forgotten Beast Sarek has come! A great one-eyed flamingo! It has two narrow tails and appears emaciated. Its eye glows fuschia. Its puce feathers are downy. Beware its poisonous bite!

The sergeant has no choice amid the piled up remains of trogs and cave fish men. She will defeat the creature, or die in the attempt.

Her flask held some precious drink. A final swig before death would claim her.

She had no armor, and only her pickaxe to fight the beast as she approached the killing ground. Webs and rusty stains upon stone. bones and even mangled chitin, along with piles of teeth and still more broken bones.

The beast saw her, and charged forward. Limul heft her pick, and managed to only hit int once before she was laid low, pinned to the ground, and her head smashed apart.

At least the painful transformations would end forever more, and Sarek Profanewhispers, as it was now to be known for her death, would be brought low in time itself - For the Silver Doors approached.

Wahala

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51098 on: December 03, 2017, 04:42:26 pm »

Just now, a merchant drowned under misterious circumstances on his way to my fortress. When I examined the corpse, he had a book on him that talked about flotation devices and buoyancy.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51099 on: December 03, 2017, 05:13:19 pm »

Bellsrings is subject to recurring (at least once a year) forest fires, despite not having anything that actually sets them on fire.  The original fire was caused by a Brush Titan, but now it just happens every time the woods get green again.

In other news, I've finally had it with the visitors clogging my tavern, eating my FPS for breakfast.  After almost 5 years of DF, I finally built my first drowning room and designated it as the outsider tavern.  I feel dirty, but the hell with these people.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51100 on: December 03, 2017, 05:23:20 pm »

Ooh, annual forest fires. That's a very dwarfy tradition. See if you can get the elven caravan to show up during the festival, so they can watch the trees burn down.

It's probably the same bug that causes a cave-in whenever a tree grows back after you channel out the tile beneath it. Fun, though.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #51101 on: December 03, 2017, 07:32:40 pm »

With the fort at present, I am currently toiling to set up a dwarven greenhouse, and more bedrooms, along with a couple jeweler's workshops for the possessed dwarf in question.  With the second year, the elves had arrived, and their food and sole grizzly bear were the only interesting purchases had.  No sun berries, but I'm not bothered, due to my site growing them naturally.  I did provide the elves a few spare stone crafts as payment to send more grizzly bears, and hope they'll respond in kind.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51102 on: December 03, 2017, 08:08:27 pm »

I'm now 4 years in, have a thriving metropolis, and have fought off multiple goblin sieges and several megabeasts/titans/FBs.  I am so missing DFHack right now it's not even funny.  Everything is spattered with vomit and filth, there are giant piles of garbage everywhere, every time a flying creature enters the map the FPS drops by 10 (and it isn't high to begin with).

I've also noticed that FBs no longer path into the fort; they spawn at the edge of the cavern and just sit there.  They will attack if something runs in their visual range, but they immediately return to the same spot and just... sit.  It's weird.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51103 on: December 03, 2017, 08:23:44 pm »

I know that feeling on dfhack.

EVERYONE KEEPS FUCKING PUKING ON MY SHINY SILVER DEPOT AND DOORS.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #51104 on: December 03, 2017, 09:35:28 pm »

every time a flying creature enters the map the FPS drops by 10 (and it isn't high to begin with).
I feel your pain. I removed [FLYING] from ravens because of this.
Pages: 1 ... 3405 3406 [3407] 3408 3409 ... 3835