Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3406 3407 [3408] 3409 3410 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5837885 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51105 on: December 03, 2017, 09:56:38 pm »

every time a flying creature enters the map the FPS drops by 10 (and it isn't high to begin with).
I feel your pain. I removed [FLYING] from ravens because of this.
Ah, now I know what it was that kept nagging me unconsciously about me forgetting something after raw editing for the new version.
Right. Use the search function on all creature files to remove [FLYING] from everything except dragons and rocs.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51106 on: December 03, 2017, 10:17:38 pm »

The fortress of Bigballs has entered its second year, and a new crop of sweet pods has been sown. The outpost liaison has finally left, and the elven caravan came with a surprisingly light load. A library has been established along with paper processing, but research has to be done before we can produce written literature for our dwarves to educate themselves with.

Unfortunately, a large ducksplosion happened, and many ducks got stuck in a tree. Now, the ducklings won't stop fighting, and nor can any dwarves get them down. We also have a bag shortage, and because the expedition leader insists on making bags with dyed cloth, a serious production bottleneck has developed.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51107 on: December 04, 2017, 07:25:10 am »

Oh, it's not [FLYING], it's [FLIER]

Does anyone know if I only need to remove those tags nowadays, or do I also need to remove [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_FLYING_GAITS: ... ] ?

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #51108 on: December 04, 2017, 07:54:09 am »

A visiting lady macedwarf gave birth to a baby girl at my fort: she must've been pregnant when she arrived. Since she was just a visitor, not a citizen, the baby was listed as "Friendly" in my units screen, and neither the mother nor anyone else would pick her up. This, predictably, did not end well. The baby repeatedly fell down the central staircase until she landed at the bottom, still alive but badly broken up, and vomiting profusely. Endeavoring to keep the little one safe until she grew up, I followed her until she crawled into a room, then locked the door behind her. But it was too little too late, and she died of her wounds. And, since she wasn't a member of my civilization, my dwarves refused to bury her: her remains rotted on the floor until I designated a corpse stockpile just for her.

Dwarven child-care at its finest, folks.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #51109 on: December 04, 2017, 10:12:46 am »

The fortress of Bigballs has entered its second year, and a new crop of sweet pods has been sown. The outpost liaison has finally left, and the elven caravan came with a surprisingly light load. A library has been established along with paper processing, but research has to be done before we can produce written literature for our dwarves to educate themselves with.

Unfortunately, a large ducksplosion happened, and many ducks got stuck in a tree. Now, the ducklings won't stop fighting, and nor can any dwarves get them down. We also have a bag shortage, and because the expedition leader insists on making bags with dyed cloth, a serious production bottleneck has developed.
Cut down the tree
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51110 on: December 04, 2017, 11:58:03 am »

I picked up the game again after five or six years away, and am currently working to get a handle on all the changes.

I found the caverns a while back, and immediately walled it off to prepare a more proper entryway (namely one with a jillion cage traps).  However, I accidentally designated an ore vein on that z-level for automining, and around the time the second cage trap was finished, a flood of Monster Hunters swarmed down that vein and out into the caverns.  So now I'm scrambling to get a good enough feel for the military interface to protect the haulers who are carrying out the ever-growing piles of dismembered troglodytes and murderhobos.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51111 on: December 04, 2017, 02:22:51 pm »

Cut down the tree

Chop down tree

Make duck leather from crushed ducks

Make duck leather bags
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #51112 on: December 04, 2017, 02:33:37 pm »

Use duck leather bags to hold corpses of other ducks

Make duck biscuits

Brew duck-fat beer
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #51113 on: December 04, 2017, 03:45:11 pm »

Bellsrings is subject to recurring (at least once a year) forest fires, despite not having anything that actually sets them on fire.  The original fire was caused by a Brush Titan, but now it just happens every time the woods get green again.

In other news, I've finally had it with the visitors clogging my tavern, eating my FPS for breakfast.  After almost 5 years of DF, I finally built my first drowning room and designated it as the outsider tavern.  I feel dirty, but the hell with these people.
You can set maximum amount of visitors in the d_init.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #51114 on: December 04, 2017, 04:30:11 pm »

Most of them don't really respect it in new version.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51115 on: December 04, 2017, 05:12:09 pm »

just started a fortress with a near death civ (only has a king) and near two nations that are at war with my civ....this ought to be fun
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #51116 on: December 04, 2017, 06:16:30 pm »

Oh, it's not [FLYING], it's [FLIER]

Does anyone know if I only need to remove those tags nowadays, or do I also need to remove [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_FLYING_GAITS: ... ] ?
All you need is to take off flier.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51117 on: December 04, 2017, 09:40:43 pm »

I have a abusive relationship developing in my fortress.
My expedition leader and a miner have been romantically involved for a season or two.
Expedition leader just got into an argument with her and brawled her into hospital with head wounds and ripped ankle muscles. The head wound is infected now, had no soap or well yet, late autumn year 1.

On the bright side, I haven't seen any hordes of visitors yet.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51118 on: December 05, 2017, 06:38:21 am »

A Dark Elf ambush. Curse them!
Not enough time to get everyone inside, the only military are off questing. Bolts fly with deadly accuracy, the swordsman lays into the children with his grown-steel sword. It's a tragedy.

But wait, what's this? A merchant caravan has arrived from the mountainhomes. The Dark Elves foolishly think it's a juicy target. Two martial trances later and the last living elf is crawling his way off the map.

Outpost liasion didn't make it, but there's always more of them around.

shikushiku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51119 on: December 05, 2017, 06:52:54 am »

I finally got a working magma minecart elevator up and running. I tried to idiot-proof the accesses so dwarves wouldn't have any reason to climb in randomly.

Emphasis on tried.

Pages: 1 ... 3406 3407 [3408] 3409 3410 ... 3836