Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3412 3413 [3414] 3415 3416 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788818 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51195 on: December 13, 2017, 05:42:15 pm »

Yes, it was a 44.02 fort.

And NOOOOOOOO!

Another hour of worldgen and preparing carefully down the drain, new fort again has the bug.

Genning new world :p
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #51196 on: December 13, 2017, 05:56:22 pm »

Nooooo! My new fort is once again plagued by the excessive visitor bug. Looks like I am cursed.
Both this one and the previous one weren't even on medium worlds, they're on small regions, just like the one not plagued by the bug.

I REALLY hope this gets fixed soon.
the only "fix" I've found is to stay away from elves, no elves=no problems
Nah that's not it, my last fort that didn't have the bug did have elves.
strange, I've only seen it with elves. guess I was mistaken. stay away from everyone then.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Urist McWaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I feel so good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51197 on: December 13, 2017, 06:04:18 pm »

Nooooo! My new fort is once again plagued by the excessive visitor bug. Looks like I am cursed.
Both this one and the previous one weren't even on medium worlds, they're on small regions, just like the one not plagued by the bug.

I REALLY hope this gets fixed soon.
the only "fix" I've found is to stay away from elves, no elves=no problems
Nah that's not it, my last fort that didn't have the bug did have elves.
strange, I've only seen it with elves. guess I was mistaken. stay away from everyone then.

I had 50ish visitors come immediately to my fort, all dwarfs. I disabled visitors from my tavern and they slowly left (took years tho...).

Even now despite still disallowing visitors, I still have 14 visitors from that first group hanging out in my tavern but I have special plans for them...   ;)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51198 on: December 13, 2017, 06:37:40 pm »

For lack of functioning fortress, I am having fun with creating a fort symbol on the embark screen.
I've settled with "The Circle of Life"

The Circle of Life
is an image of purring maggots, an elf, and seven dwarves.
The elf is dead. The purring maggots are devouring the elf.
The seven dwarves are laughing.

EDIT: small request: add 'X is milking Y' to the interaction selection list

EDIT: nope, again, visitor bug. Elf merchant showed up maybe 2 days after embark, designating tavern confirmed bug by making 20 more visitors arrive, bringing the total over my cap.

Point of interest: one of the visitors had a profession I have never seen before: an Elf Peddler.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 06:44:58 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51199 on: December 13, 2017, 06:57:06 pm »

Solution: Elf murder. Also, that peddler is surely a spy, or using an assumed name.

I have (or had) two such dwarves in my fort, "Amsir" (real name Mosus, assumed name is a human one) and another dwarf whose name escapes me, under the professions Bard and Peddler.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51200 on: December 13, 2017, 07:12:16 pm »

I posted awhile back about a dwarf peddler. Question: if he is a spy, can he join the fort as a migrant or long-term resident/citizen?

Because he writes books now, and his prose is always vicious or whatnot. He could be a goblin spy.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ljas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51201 on: December 13, 2017, 07:20:35 pm »

New fort. Settled in a nice valley with plenty of metal, a waterfall and even a natural cave. First time playing since .44 hit so was excited to get into DF again.

Unfortunately, the dragon that was chilling within breathing distance of the wagon didn't really care for my presence.
It was the shortest lived fort I've ever had.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51202 on: December 13, 2017, 09:42:45 pm »

So, uh...

Hmm.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #51203 on: December 13, 2017, 09:55:34 pm »

So, uh...

Hmm.

Perhaps this is FPS undeath?

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51204 on: December 13, 2017, 10:11:36 pm »

Have you uncapped your FPS?

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51205 on: December 13, 2017, 10:47:11 pm »

Have you uncapped your FPS?

Yeah, that's what did it. Just thought it was amusing.

Perhaps this is FPS undeath?

I knew I shouldn't have embarked near a tower.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51206 on: December 14, 2017, 12:19:31 am »

I posted awhile back about a dwarf peddler. Question: if he is a spy, can he join the fort as a migrant or long-term resident/citizen?

Because he writes books now, and his prose is always vicious or whatnot. He could be a goblin spy.
I've had a dingo man peddler hanging around for years doing nothing.

There's been one goblin 'siege' in that time. Four gobboes were on-map. All four immediately disappeared. three seconds later one of my monster hunters is whaling on a goblin kidnapper.

So I don't know what this guy is doing, but if he's a spy he's kinda a waste.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #51207 on: December 14, 2017, 09:26:40 am »

-Visitor issues-

Have you tried adjusting the visitor cap in the d_init file?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51208 on: December 14, 2017, 09:45:22 am »

EDIT: nope, again, visitor bug. Elf merchant showed up maybe 2 days after embark, designating tavern confirmed bug by making 20 more visitors arrive, bringing the total over my cap.

Adjusting the cap still might work/help, though.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51209 on: December 14, 2017, 10:44:05 am »

My visitor cap was already adjusted down to 20 in all cases, even before I encountered the bug, because I value my FPS.

My current fort seems to be plagued by the visitor bug as well, but not as severely as the previous ones.
I am getting about 1-2 visitors arriving every dwarf day instead of 5-6.
Next to that, they are leaving as well, at about the same rate they are coming in.
I've only seen it go above the 20 cap twice in the first season of my fort, and only 22 max. Hopeful.
It might be related to me designating a 3x3 tavern instead of the 7x7 and 6x6 I used before, then again it might not be. Gonna test to see if a bigger tavern matters once I've got enough blocks to finish that outdoor tavern (I want to designate it from a table and not set it as a meeting hall, and keep my dwarves in a 3x3 area to hopefully get married, so it needs to be indoors).

Maybe related, maybe not, I've only got contact with 2 civs instead of 3. Elves went extinct during worldgen.
My previous fort that did not have the bug did have elves, but did lack access to goblins, so it also only had contact with 2 civs. Might be completely random coincidence though, since the bug is present after all in this fort, while it was completely absent in the other one.

A good indicator of your new fort having the bug is visitors arriving in the first year, even before you have designated a tavern/inn.
If they do arrive early, designating an outdoor unwalled inn from an outdoor meeting area can quickly confirm if it is indeed bugged, and save you the frustration of only finding it out after setting up your basic economy.

Still sucks to lose the time investment of worldgen, searching for an embark location, and preparing carefully this many times in a row. This is my 8th fort in a row suffering from it, although I might just not need to abandon this one. The other ones were just crazy, with +5 visitors every dwarf day from the moment you open an inn. That just means FPS death before the end of year 2.
BUT I SHALL PERSEVERE

EDIT: Don't think it's going to hold. Visitors up to 32 out of 20 in autumn year 1
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:53:26 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 3412 3413 [3414] 3415 3416 ... 3835