Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3413 3414 [3415] 3416 3417 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5832530 times)

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51210 on: December 14, 2017, 02:57:35 pm »

Weird... Merchants arrived and began unloading their goods. I earmarked some stuff to be brought up to the trade depot. I placed my order with the outpost liason. And then... Nothing. No goods got moved to the depot and, more importantly, there's no caravan. I didn't get an announcement that they were leaving or anything, there's just... no caravan there. No visitors in my units screen or anything. No combat reports except for a dog attacking a wombat nearby. I dunno what happened.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51211 on: December 14, 2017, 03:03:26 pm »

The got spooked by wildlife. They do that even without any actual combat going on, they run away from terrified small critters. No messages for that either, you can only notice it by either following the caravan as they come in, or if you find unexplained forbidden heaps of trader goods on the map.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #51212 on: December 14, 2017, 03:10:24 pm »

New fort. Settled in a nice valley with plenty of metal, a waterfall and even a natural cave. First time playing since .44 hit so was excited to get into DF again.

Unfortunately, the dragon that was chilling within breathing distance of the wagon didn't really care for my presence.
It was the shortest lived fort I've ever had.
I was had a fort start with the wagon on a frozen river, and the river was in a canyon. I didn't get anyone or anything off the ice before it melted.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51213 on: December 14, 2017, 03:24:58 pm »

New fort. Settled in a nice valley with plenty of metal, a waterfall and even a natural cave. First time playing since .44 hit so was excited to get into DF again.

Unfortunately, the dragon that was chilling within breathing distance of the wagon didn't really care for my presence.
Did you mod the game? Otherwise it does sound like a bug, you shouldn't be able to embark on a megabeast.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51214 on: December 14, 2017, 03:37:21 pm »

The got spooked by wildlife. They do that even without any actual combat going on, they run away from terrified small critters. No messages for that either, you can only notice it by either following the caravan as they come in, or if you find unexplained forbidden heaps of trader goods on the map.

Huh, fair enough.

In other news, the squad I sent out came back with the artifact! I honestly just send them out with the intention of letting them die, since I have a few too many dwarves now... But they got it! I will be building statues in their honor.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51215 on: December 14, 2017, 05:14:06 pm »

Yes, it was a 44.02 fort.

And NOOOOOOOO!

Another hour of worldgen and preparing carefully down the drain, new fort again has the bug.

Genning new world :p
Only 4 elves and no elf civs in my world, and no elf visitors.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #51216 on: December 14, 2017, 06:52:52 pm »

Did you mod the game? Otherwise it does sound like a bug, you shouldn't be able to embark on a megabeast.
He said "natural cave". He obviously embarked right on the dragon's cave, which is quite possible. I once embarked right onto the lair of a family of night trolls.
Though he does say within breathing distance of the wagon. The dragon should start in the cave, not outside it, so maybe it is some form of bug.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Ljas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51217 on: December 14, 2017, 08:28:20 pm »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51218 on: December 14, 2017, 08:31:25 pm »

Little did the dwarves know, the dragon considered their unwitting trespassing to actually be a tribute from the dwarves.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51219 on: December 15, 2017, 08:38:14 am »

:o :o :o :o :o :o

The elven caravan brought a grown Forgotten Beast silk musical instrument.

Now we know who is responsible for those Forgotten Beast attacks. Those pointy eared bastards GROW them.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #51220 on: December 15, 2017, 09:45:58 am »

:o :o :o :o :o :o

The elven caravan brought a grown Forgotten Beast silk musical instrument.

Now we know who is responsible for those Forgotten Beast attacks. Those pointy eared bastards GROW them.
I KNEW IT.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51221 on: December 15, 2017, 10:04:14 am »

Sadly, this fort is also plagued by the visitor bug. Even though I haven't designated a tavern allowing all visitors this time around, The spies are still slowly dripping in and ignoring my visitor cap of 10.
There's 18 of them now in summer year 2, so for now it's manageable. As long as I don't designate any locations that allow all visitors I should be able to handle it.
Some teamwork of a meeting hall zone and a restrictive burrow to keep my dwarves out should get them into an atomsmashable position before they eat my FPS.

EDIT: HAH! SUCCESS! I now have a moat with carp (and milkfish, and disturbing amounts of fry). The beauty of it all is that I can drain said moat and kill them if it gets excessive (or they scare the traders trying to get over the drawbridge)
EDIT2: Ah, good, the carp have no effect on traders.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:38:37 am by martinuzz »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51222 on: December 15, 2017, 10:50:03 am »

Had a Fortress with the new release.  Didn't last a year.  The undead showed up before I had a drawbridge ready or any squads ready.  Everybody died.

But I noticed that I started getting visitors before I had a tavern, temple, or library.  Anybody else notice visitors showing up before anything is ready for visitors?
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51223 on: December 15, 2017, 11:02:27 am »

2 years in, 130 visitors. All humans and goblins. The funny thing is, they are largely categorized into two groups, one looking for a book called 'True Commerce' and the other looking for a codex called 'Rainfall' something. A member of each party held what the other party wanted, and I'm pretty sure there isn't a code in place for them to figure it out. They continue to sit there and murder my FPS.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51224 on: December 15, 2017, 11:19:01 am »

Hmmm, could it be possible that the visitor bug is related to artefacts stolen by unnamed keas becoming untraceable, creaing a neverending backlog of spies trying to find an unfindable object just waiting to rush our unsuspecting fortresses? Just a wild guess though.

EDIT: what's the tag(s?) that makes wildlife like keas steal stuff? I guess I could remove those from the raws and do some testing to see if that prevents the visitor bug from occuring
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 11:22:07 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 3413 3414 [3415] 3416 3417 ... 3836