Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3434 3435 [3436] 3437 3438 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5860185 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51525 on: January 11, 2018, 05:28:28 pm »

My Duke / mayor is pretty badass. He just kung-fu'd a jabberer to death wearing nothing but steel leggings and a steel helm. The jabberer didn't get a hit in. I guess years of unarmed training paid off.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51526 on: January 11, 2018, 10:00:07 pm »

Anyone have any advice to help me save a farmer in my current fort whom I happen to rather fond of (not that I particularly need her, I have plenty of farmers, I just think she has an unusual amount of personality compared to the others and would like to see her live)? She was attacked and seriously injured by a giant chipmunk a while back and while she's recovering from her wounds, I'm a bit worried she's going to die of dehydration seeing as there's currently a shortage of non-frozen water (and IIRC hospital-bound dwarves aren't able to drink alcohol, correct me if I'm wrong). Any help would be appreciated.

In other news, my civ is apparently at war with "The Dale of Smiths", a neighbouring elven country. Still waiting on a siege to make things interesting (may have to provoke 'em by raiding a scroll or two, wish me luck).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51527 on: January 11, 2018, 10:24:36 pm »

Anyone have any advice to help me save a farmer in my current fort whom I happen to rather fond of (not that I particularly need her, I have plenty of farmers, I just think she has an unusual amount of personality compared to the others and would like to see her live)? She was attacked and seriously injured by a giant chipmunk a while back and while she's recovering from her wounds, I'm a bit worried she's going to die of dehydration seeing as there's currently a shortage of non-frozen water (and IIRC hospital-bound dwarves aren't able to drink alcohol, correct me if I'm wrong). Any help would be appreciated.

In other news, my civ is apparently at war with "The Dale of Smiths", a neighbouring elven country. Still waiting on a siege to make things interesting (may have to provoke 'em by raiding a scroll or two, wish me luck).
Dig a well to access cavern water.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51528 on: January 11, 2018, 10:31:02 pm »

Ok thanks. I'll consult the wiki on that (still enough of a newbie to the game that wells are an enigma to me :P).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51529 on: January 12, 2018, 07:07:12 am »

Ooooh!!! I am so glad I was wrong. I thought my giant elephants had reached max population at 7, but now, after 10 years of no new young, my newly grown up elephants are giving birth.

FEAR THE WALKING MOUNTAINS

EDIT: heh, that's a good name for the squad I will assign the war giant elephants to
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:18:41 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #51530 on: January 12, 2018, 08:58:03 am »

A Clockwork Giant came to the fort, right after my squad was done killing a coal scorpion FB. Pretty inconvenient timing - thankfully, it spawned far away from the fort entrance, which gave my military time to position themselves.

The fight was somewhat long but not too eventful - the giant managed to ground-pound only once, and the resulting dust didn't really spread around beyond the tile it was standing on, so noone was knocked away. It did manage to punch the finger of a marksman, resulting in his entire hand tearing away - aside from that, no other casualties or injuries. Eventually one of the swordmasters stabbed a weak point, mostly cutting away the lower body from the torso. Undercity endures.

In other news, a poet of mine fought some Impure down in the caverns, and got sprayed with infectious pus. He's almost completely rotten, he's laying unconscious in the hospital with miasma wafting off of him - my chief surgeon and his team are working on him, constantly excising rotten tissue and performing surgeries. Hopefully he'll live and become the worlds first loosely held-together flesh-blob poet.

EDIT: He's dead. Interestingly, there's no pus on the body, suggesting he's not dead from infection - there is, however, a large pool of blood nearby, so I guess he died from losing too much blood during the repeated surgeries and excisions.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:44:07 am by ZM5 »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51531 on: January 12, 2018, 01:10:55 pm »

Heh, the elves are bringing a grown bismuth bronze musical instrument.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51532 on: January 12, 2018, 01:59:55 pm »

Heh, the elves are bringing a grown bismuth bronze musical instrument.

I expect there's a wooden component too.

My fort suffers sporadic incursions by giant vultures. The latest one caused one yak from the dwarven caravan to flee. It then spent the next month or so crawling towards my fort, not quite arriving by the time the caravan decided to depart. At least it didn't prevent me trading.

My crossbow dwarves' attempt to deal with the giant vultures accomplishes nothing but a snow of {copper bolt} and {silver bolt} all over the landscape. I even had one crossbow dwarf walk into a square where a vulture was being punched by a gemsetter, unload an entire quiver of bolts at the vulture and still not achieve a single hit.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #51533 on: January 12, 2018, 02:05:51 pm »

A skeleton siege came.

Mounted on worgs and gray cyclopes, they rode in much greater numbers than before. Many of my warriors, including several weapon lords were brutally killed in the ensuing battle.
Regardless, with enough perseverance many of the skeletons were killed in turn, forcing the rest to retreat.

What surprised me is seemingly a show of villainous valor by one of the skeletons. It charged into my fort along with its gray cyclops companion and started attacking my citizens as its allies were retreating, seemingly to distract my forces and allow the rest a clean getaway. Regardless, it stood firm against most attacks with merely a spade.

Of course, alone it couldn't do much once the remaining weapon lords attacked again. Its skull was easily cleaved away from the rest of its body.

Undercity endures, despite the losses.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51534 on: January 12, 2018, 02:25:27 pm »

The corpse of one of my soldiers was in a murky pool, so I had to channel and mine around it to spread the water to allow the corpse to be taken out. I kinda fucked up the channeling, which caused a cave-in.

The 2x2 sized meteor smashed down multiple Z-levels. First through my furniture stockpile, then right through the middle of my tavern, and finally stopping in my baronesses tomb.

Which is now full of bloody water, corpses and body parts both from the battle that killed the original soldier corpse, and from the dwarves and visitors that got crushed by the cave-in on the way down. And there's one bed from the furniture stockpile as well, taken down by the collapse.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51535 on: January 12, 2018, 08:59:24 pm »

My baronesses tomb... is now full of bloody water, corpses and body parts both from the battle that killed the original soldier corpse, and from the dwarves and visitors that got crushed by the cave-in on the way down. And there's one bed from the furniture stockpile as well, taken down by the collapse.

Congrats, your fortress is now a Skyrim dungeon.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51536 on: January 12, 2018, 10:01:52 pm »

An early attempt to funnel a river to the bowels of my fort accidentally flooded everything except the unconnected mine in the z-level below my fortress' main level, so I prepared a project to drain it into an artificial reservoir as soon as the river froze. I successfully drained the whole-z level without a single inexplicable casualty. Then the ice melted just as I was building the wall to seal off the river connection, and I later found that a dwarf who was in the mines on the other side of the fort (and much lower) during the melt had fallen through the solid walls and undamaged grates, despite the fact that I'd had him mining emeralds far away well before I evacuated the suddenly-reflooding area and sealed the door.

then I gave a campaign speech blaming the Elves and added another squadron to my militia. Which was good, because then an Elven caravan and a Titan showed up at around the same time.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51537 on: January 13, 2018, 02:13:03 am »

I started a new embark, with the idea of optimizing my starting builds.  I would just enlist a farmer and a brewer from the first wave of immigrants, I've never had trouble before with food or booze, you can bring so much after all.. 

Only this time, none of my dwarves would finish unloading my wagon.  They took a bit of ale and wine, but left the BULK of my booze stockpile sitting in the summer sun.  No amount of stockpile shenanigans could convince them to move their hootch, they simply refused.  Well.  Fed up with my dwarves drinking in the rain, I dismantled the wagon, thinking that would get them going.  Nope.  So I marked all the barrels for dumping, and built a dumping zone right next to the underground meeting area.  STILL. NO.  At this point I kind of forgot about it.  Until I got the following message:

"A grizzly bear man has guzzled some <dwarven ale [5]>!"
"A grizzly bear man has guzzled some <dwarven ale [5]>!"
"A grizzly bear man has guzzled some <dwarven rum [5]>!"
"A grizzly bear man has guzzled some <dwarven wine [5]>!" etc..

The grizzly-bear people finished off my ENTIRE booze stockpile before I could even sic the dogs on them, and to top it off, my newly enstated brewer and farmer SUCK at their jobs.  We might not make it to the next caravan.

At least two of them drank themselves to death. =D

PS: I forgot to pause the game while typing this out, and a giant wolverine mauled my new fisherdwarf immigrant nearly to death.  Considering I don't have a hospital or any supplies for that kind of thing, and he is cut or torn open pretty much everywhere, and even got his torso dented somehow... well... 

PPS: "He is unfettered after fighting."  Well DAMN! This kid's got spunk! Send my War-Ambulance, post haste! We got us a fighter here, boys!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:20:41 am by daggaz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51538 on: January 13, 2018, 06:57:20 am »

This just happened in my fort. Bit sad it's not platinum, but still.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #51539 on: January 13, 2018, 07:18:00 am »

Try to give it to a traveling human vampire hunter :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 3434 3435 [3436] 3437 3438 ... 3836