Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3435 3436 [3437] 3438 3439 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787020 times)

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51540 on: January 13, 2018, 09:32:18 am »

my last fort was boring, so i created a new one in a terrifying location...turns out the only thing terrifying is this black "evil mist" that comes ever so often..and does absolutely jackshit...my dorfs wont even honor it with a comment when they get hit by it...

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51541 on: January 13, 2018, 09:48:11 am »

my last fort was boring, so i created a new one in a terrifying location...turns out the only thing terrifying is this black "evil mist" that comes ever so often..and does absolutely jackshit...my dorfs wont even honor it with a comment when they get hit by it...

so this just in: i got a visit from an elven caravan,traded with them,then i got the notice that they were leaving. and the next thing i spot is a random elf and his yak bull just wandering around in my fort with no destination...i think the poor guy is lost.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51542 on: January 13, 2018, 02:31:38 pm »

Syndromes can be timed/delayed. So it might have an effect, it just doesn't happen immediately and might not be deadly or damaging enough to be noticeable when it does happen.

So in your case, it may be a cloud that makes dwarves slightly dizzy, but a week or two after exposure. It's difficult to notice it when it happens, you might just think it's caused by alcohol drunk in the tavern.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51543 on: January 13, 2018, 02:53:14 pm »

I tried a fort like that once!The mist wasn't that deadly but I was paranoid that it would turn my dwarfs into zombies.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51544 on: January 13, 2018, 04:00:42 pm »

"A grizzly bear man has guzzled some <dwarven ale [5]>!"
"A grizzly bear man has guzzled some <dwarven ale [5]>!"
"A grizzly bear man has guzzled some <dwarven rum [5]>!"
"A grizzly bear man has guzzled some <dwarven wine [5]>!" etc..

The grizzly-bear people finished off my ENTIRE booze stockpile before I could even sic the dogs on them, and to top it off, my newly enstated brewer and farmer SUCK at their jobs.  We might not make it to the next caravan.

At least two of them drank themselves to death. =D
Booze guzzlers might be my favorite invaders... Unless they run into active military or dogs, they stroll right past your dwarfs and get to drinking, causing panic in the early stages of the fort when you knew that it is too early for FBs and sieges so you didn't set up that warning system and defenses.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51545 on: January 13, 2018, 05:46:49 pm »

A human caravan just left. The wagons went one way and everyone else, on foot and the animals, went completely the opposite direction. They left on opposite sides of the map instead of even climbing the mountain
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51546 on: January 13, 2018, 05:55:27 pm »

Syndromes can be timed/delayed. So it might have an effect, it just doesn't happen immediately and might not be deadly or damaging enough to be noticeable when it does happen.

So in your case, it may be a cloud that makes dwarves slightly dizzy, but a week or two after exposure. It's difficult to notice it when it happens, you might just think it's caused by alcohol drunk in the tavern.

well if it had any effects then during the half a year lifetime of that fort it went absolutely nowhere.  after that half a year i ended up quitting the fort due to werebeast attack that left few characters bitten..who i tried to lock up in the hospital but someone decided to wedge the door open with a traction bench so i ended up losing most of my population when the injuried dorfs turned into werebeasts and hacked through most of  the fort...i really should have designed the layout of that fort better...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51547 on: January 13, 2018, 06:04:04 pm »

I wish my CGS would start pooping out some offspring already, so I can cage them. They are blocking new cave creature spawns from entering the map. And I do need a mate for my cave dragon.

EDIT: in other news, I haven't had a single monster hunter, or mercenary visit my fort in it's 18 years of existence. I fear monster hunters don't like worlds genned with only 1 cavern layer, but I have no explanation for not getting mercs.
There's plenty of bards, poets, dancers, and performing troupes.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 06:19:37 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51548 on: January 14, 2018, 12:57:11 am »

Some peasant out gathering logs ran into a pack of forest imps. One quick draft later and he'd beaten five of them to death/unconsciousness before any of my militia arrived on-scene. Guy walked off with nothing more serious than a laceration on one leg. Turns out I hadn't checked attributes on the last batch of migrants, he's pretty set even without training. That's worth a promotion from endless castle-building, I suppose. Maybe I should make a little sally port bridge from my surface barracks, but I'm disinclined to start knocking down walls until all other entry points are sealed.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51549 on: January 14, 2018, 02:24:09 am »

Did he wrestle them to death or beat them senseless with the logs he was hauling?
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51550 on: January 14, 2018, 03:38:19 am »

Maybe I should make a little sally port bridge from my surface barracks, but I'm disinclined to start knocking down walls until all other entry points are sealed.
1: Where exactly is your barracks? It's a good idea to have a military with at least one squad always ready for fighting, then station them in their barracks/locations relevant to training/soldier life, then make sure that specific barracks is very near the main entrance. That way in the event of a little fun you can sic at least a few (hopefully well-trained, if your dorfs WILL ACTUALLY OBEY THE ORDERS TO TRAIN) troopers on any annoyances before they can capture an entrance.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51551 on: January 14, 2018, 08:41:58 am »

One of my dwarves just gained 3 apprentices. Yet, he 'finds the pursuit of knowledge to be a waste of effort', 'he tends to be passive in discussions', and 'he isn't particularily curious about the world'.

I think they're trolling him.

EDIT: heh, I just noticed that your appointed champion cannot be assigned to a location. Not a problem now, but once needs and stress levels get properly implemented, I guess it's a bug, because champions won't be able to fullfill intellectual needs except reading.

EDIT2: Finally, year 19 of the fort. First bar brawl. A human and goblin visitor started duking it out, and my only goblin citizen decided to join in the brawl.

Hehe, goblin citizen in hospital with 17 torn open wounds, 6 torn apart, 2 cut open, 2 cut apart, and 4 compound fractures. At last, some training for the medics.

EDIT3: we need hospitals for visitors. They are bleeding on my carpet.

EDIT4: had to full-heal the goblin, because he had a wound to his nails.
PROTIP: edit tissue_template raws, and add [HEALING_RATE:100] to [TISSUE_TEMPLATE:NAIL_TEMPLATE] and perhaps to
[TISSUE_TEMPLATE:HAIR_TEMPLATE] as well, or dwarves can bleed to death from a minor wound to their finger nail. I completely forgot that bug (or well, raw oversight) existed
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:04:01 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

archmagi1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51552 on: January 14, 2018, 11:14:14 am »

I had a wereskink show up as the human caravan was departing the map. The guards punched it in the head until its head exploded.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51553 on: January 14, 2018, 11:21:27 am »

Did he wrestle them to death or beat them senseless with the logs he was hauling?
Just wrestling. Like I said, absurdly good attributes for a fresh migrant. His lowest were mid-40s, Toughness 68, Endurance 64. The imps just swarmed and bruised him trying to bite him through his clothes while he slowly beat them to death. His leg only got cut because they eventually managed to chew his pants to rags.

Maybe I should make a little sally port bridge from my surface barracks, but I'm disinclined to start knocking down walls until all other entry points are sealed.
1: Where exactly is your barracks? It's a good idea to have a military with at least one squad always ready for fighting, then station them in their barracks/locations relevant to training/soldier life, then make sure that specific barracks is very near the main entrance. That way in the event of a little fun you can sic at least a few (hopefully well-trained, if your dorfs WILL ACTUALLY OBEY THE ORDERS TO TRAIN) troopers on any annoyances before they can capture an entrance.
Rather than trying to explain, have a four-level slice.

I've got a three-layer set of drawbridge airlocks before my central spiral (plus two at the end of my trapped entrance and ample space to wall behind those), so I'm not concerned about breakthroughs. Response time isn't actually any slower than from my original barracks off the first level of housing, but it's not fast. As I said, though, I don't want to muck about with opening extra gaps before I finish sealing off my above-ground economy and battlements on the level above. This is a small world in the early 400s which started with 250 titans, 250 MB, and 500 SMB, so there's plenty of nasty flying shit which could ignore the moat.

As for training, I've not had any problems for quite a few versions with a simple active training alert, even when allowing them to sleep in their own rooms and eat + drink in the dining hall. Got lucky with an artifact statue, too, so they're content to hang out for a long while with little downtime.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51554 on: January 14, 2018, 05:15:29 pm »

My Fortress had a weird episode today...

I noticed that in the Library, the Elf Diplomat & Human Law-Giver have Not been getting along well at all. They've been constantly at it!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now either that Elf's spit hit the wrong guy, or he then thought he could get away with giving the same treatment to our Bone Carver!

Evidently, he gave the Diplomat a nice display of his Bone Carving skills free of charge with some contributing artists... he died... But this all happened with the Elf caravan present. So when I got the next notification, I was just about ready to draw blood,

I quickly zoned in to to where it happened, as expected, Elven culprits all around!

But then I saw the combat log.. and realized... Rakust must've been that weeny kinda guy that doesn't get involved in the fights, but's always there heckling in the background. Scrawny, annoying with a big mouth. I simply must assume that when the Elves were departing, he decided to walk alongside them, gloating with a massive bravado as they left. Rather embarrassing what happened next then...

Still... He was one of us... Couldn't let word get out about such a shameful death, especially as he was our Noble Mayor... besides, they probably tripped him up...

~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.
Pages: 1 ... 3435 3436 [3437] 3438 3439 ... 3835