Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3448 3449 [3450] 3451 3452 ... 3521

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 2717784 times)

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51735 on: January 14, 2018, 02:24:09 am »

Did he wrestle them to death or beat them senseless with the logs he was hauling?
My DF name generator 
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51736 on: January 14, 2018, 03:38:19 am »

Maybe I should make a little sally port bridge from my surface barracks, but I'm disinclined to start knocking down walls until all other entry points are sealed.
1: Where exactly is your barracks? It's a good idea to have a military with at least one squad always ready for fighting, then station them in their barracks/locations relevant to training/soldier life, then make sure that specific barracks is very near the main entrance. That way in the event of a little fun you can sic at least a few (hopefully well-trained, if your dorfs WILL ACTUALLY OBEY THE ORDERS TO TRAIN) troopers on any annoyances before they can capture an entrance.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51737 on: January 14, 2018, 08:41:58 am »

One of my dwarves just gained 3 apprentices. Yet, he 'finds the pursuit of knowledge to be a waste of effort', 'he tends to be passive in discussions', and 'he isn't particularily curious about the world'.

I think they're trolling him.

EDIT: heh, I just noticed that your appointed champion cannot be assigned to a location. Not a problem now, but once needs and stress levels get properly implemented, I guess it's a bug, because champions won't be able to fullfill intellectual needs except reading.

EDIT2: Finally, year 19 of the fort. First bar brawl. A human and goblin visitor started duking it out, and my only goblin citizen decided to join in the brawl.

Hehe, goblin citizen in hospital with 17 torn open wounds, 6 torn apart, 2 cut open, 2 cut apart, and 4 compound fractures. At last, some training for the medics.

EDIT3: we need hospitals for visitors. They are bleeding on my carpet.

EDIT4: had to full-heal the goblin, because he had a wound to his nails.
PROTIP: edit tissue_template raws, and add [HEALING_RATE:100] to [TISSUE_TEMPLATE:NAIL_TEMPLATE] and perhaps to
[TISSUE_TEMPLATE:HAIR_TEMPLATE] as well, or dwarves can bleed to death from a minor wound to their finger nail. I completely forgot that bug (or well, raw oversight) existed
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:04:01 am by martinuzz »
Optimists have just used up the last bit of hope. Run for your lives!

Enjoy the freedom to explore the limits of your constraints

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

archmagi1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51738 on: January 14, 2018, 11:14:14 am »

I had a wereskink show up as the human caravan was departing the map. The guards punched it in the head until its head exploded.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • Not having personal text in currentyear
    • View Profile
    • Realtalk for a second
« Reply #51739 on: January 14, 2018, 11:21:27 am »

Did he wrestle them to death or beat them senseless with the logs he was hauling?
Just wrestling. Like I said, absurdly good attributes for a fresh migrant. His lowest were mid-40s, Toughness 68, Endurance 64. The imps just swarmed and bruised him trying to bite him through his clothes while he slowly beat them to death. His leg only got cut because they eventually managed to chew his pants to rags.

Maybe I should make a little sally port bridge from my surface barracks, but I'm disinclined to start knocking down walls until all other entry points are sealed.
1: Where exactly is your barracks? It's a good idea to have a military with at least one squad always ready for fighting, then station them in their barracks/locations relevant to training/soldier life, then make sure that specific barracks is very near the main entrance. That way in the event of a little fun you can sic at least a few (hopefully well-trained, if your dorfs WILL ACTUALLY OBEY THE ORDERS TO TRAIN) troopers on any annoyances before they can capture an entrance.
Rather than trying to explain, have a four-level slice.

I've got a three-layer set of drawbridge airlocks before my central spiral (plus two at the end of my trapped entrance and ample space to wall behind those), so I'm not concerned about breakthroughs. Response time isn't actually any slower than from my original barracks off the first level of housing, but it's not fast. As I said, though, I don't want to muck about with opening extra gaps before I finish sealing off my above-ground economy and battlements on the level above. This is a small world in the early 400s which started with 250 titans, 250 MB, and 500 SMB, so there's plenty of nasty flying shit which could ignore the moat.

As for training, I've not had any problems for quite a few versions with a simple active training alert, even when allowing them to sleep in their own rooms and eat + drink in the dining hall. Got lucky with an artifact statue, too, so they're content to hang out for a long while with little downtime.

Cake
Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51740 on: January 14, 2018, 05:15:29 pm »

My Fortress had a weird episode today...

I noticed that in the Library, the Elf Diplomat & Human Law-Giver have Not been getting along well at all. They've been constantly at it!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now either that Elf's spit hit the wrong guy, or he then thought he could get away with giving the same treatment to our Bone Carver!

Evidently, he gave the Diplomat a nice display of his Bone Carving skills free of charge with some contributing artists... he died... But this all happened with the Elf caravan present. So when I got the next notification, I was just about ready to draw blood,

I quickly zoned in to to where it happened, as expected, Elven culprits all around!

But then I saw the combat log.. and realized... Rakust must've been that weeny kinda guy that doesn't get involved in the fights, but's always there heckling in the background. Scrawny, annoying with a big mouth. I simply must assume that when the Elves were departing, he decided to walk alongside them, gloating with a massive bravado as they left. Rather embarrassing what happened next then...

Still... He was one of us... Couldn't let word get out about such a shameful death, especially as he was our Noble Mayor... besides, they probably tripped him up...

~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51741 on: January 14, 2018, 06:17:56 pm »

Rather than trying to explain, have a four-level slice.

I've got a three-layer set of drawbridge airlocks before my central spiral (plus two at the end of my trapped entrance and ample space to wall behind those), so I'm not concerned about breakthroughs. Response time isn't actually any slower than from my original barracks off the first level of housing, but it's not fast. As I said, though, I don't want to muck about with opening extra gaps before I finish sealing off my above-ground economy and battlements on the level above. This is a small world in the early 400s which started with 250 titans, 250 MB, and 500 SMB, so there's plenty of nasty flying shit which could ignore the moat.

As for training, I've not had any problems for quite a few versions with a simple active training alert, even when allowing them to sleep in their own rooms and eat + drink in the dining hall. Got lucky with an artifact statue, too, so they're content to hang out for a long while with little downtime.
[/quote]
nice layout. I have one sorta like it but yours is far grander. go for it
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51742 on: January 14, 2018, 08:47:03 pm »

My fort is still plagued by terrible FPS and GFPS drop whenever caravans arrive. But it's not the caravans, it's the diplomats.
Dunno what exactly causes it, but I just caught my dwarven diplomat in the act of leaving the map. The moment he had left the map, FPS and GFPS immediatly recovered.

What's strange is, that he left in autumn. In my previous forts, the outpost liaison would hang around at tavern and temples until at least end of winter, but now he left just two dwarfweeks after having done diplomatic and trade talks.
FPS drops also occur when the human and elven diplomats are visiting.

EDIT: unrelated: Heh, why does rain only cause steam in one particular single tile of my magma moat?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:00:28 pm by martinuzz »

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51743 on: January 15, 2018, 12:00:47 am »

It's been 4.5 years since embark, and I've not yet been attacked. Given my settings and past experiences, I'm not sure why this is. I've already dealt with a werebeast (that killed my only medically-inclined dwarf who was also a legendary cook and craftsman, then scampered as a human), a titan that slaughtered half a squad in half a page of fighting, and a forgotten beast, but not a single goblin. This is unbearably anticlimactic. As I'm embarked with default savagery/civ count and the nearest goblin pit is twenty-odd world tiles away, does anyone have an idea when i can expect some excitement from without?

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51744 on: January 15, 2018, 02:50:26 am »

It just occurred to me that every single bone-related item my fort has ever produced has used porcupine bone. every. single. one. we've killed like 4 porcupines but made way more bone-related items than what 4 porcupines should be able to supply. WHAT MADNESS OF PORCUPINE BONE IS THIS?! (also 4 of the 5 artifacts my fort has produced and every masterpiece craft has involved porcupine bone...)

EDIT: HOW DOES A GUY NOT COVERED IN PORCUPINE BLOOD CONTAMINATE AN AQUIFER WITH PORCUPINE BLOOD AS SOON AS HE DISCOVERS IT?!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:57:38 am by weiserthanyou »

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #51745 on: January 15, 2018, 03:37:34 am »

It just occurred to me that every single bone-related item my fort has ever produced has used porcupine bone. every. single. one. we've killed like 4 porcupines but made way more bone-related items than what 4 porcupines should be able to supply. WHAT MADNESS OF PORCUPINE BONE IS THIS?! (also 4 of the 5 artifacts my fort has produced and every masterpiece craft has involved porcupine bone...)

EDIT: HOW DOES A GUY NOT COVERED IN PORCUPINE BLOOD CONTAMINATE AN AQUIFER WITH PORCUPINE BLOOD AS SOON AS HE DISCOVERS IT?!

You've been cursed by the Porcupines. You will suffer and die as you inflicted upon the porcupines. You will know their pain.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51746 on: January 15, 2018, 04:18:43 am »

It's been 4.5 years since embark, and I've not yet been attacked. Given my settings and past experiences, I'm not sure why this is. I've already dealt with a werebeast (that killed my only medically-inclined dwarf who was also a legendary cook and craftsman, then scampered as a human), a titan that slaughtered half a squad in half a page of fighting, and a forgotten beast, but not a single goblin. This is unbearably anticlimactic. As I'm embarked with default savagery/civ count and the nearest goblin pit is twenty-odd world tiles away, does anyone have an idea when i can expect some excitement from without?
What's your population? Goblins don't even think about attacking until you reach 80.

I don't know how far 20 tiles is, but if they didn't show up as 'neighbors' when you choose your embark spot, they're not coming.

Best you can do now, is to raid your nearest goblins as much as possible. If you provoke them into war, they'll conveniently forget the 80 pop rule. They'll theoretically come from further away to attack you too. But might just attack other sites from your civ which are nearer instead. Raiding humans, elves and other civ dorf sites should work too.

Next thing, build a tavern and fill it with artifacts (yours or other people's). Spies may eventually spread the word to artifact hungry goblins (or humans, elves, or possibly even other dorf civs). They'll come looking for them either by theft or with an army. (Totally new feature, may or may not be working, judging from complete lack of reports on artifact demanding armies, I'd say probably not).

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:21:48 am by Shonai_Dweller »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51747 on: January 15, 2018, 07:02:03 am »

It looks like turning off artefacts in the d_init, and turning it back on later resets the 'complexity' of artefacts. Usually, the more artefacts are created, the more ingredients a mood will ask for. But I just turned it back on, and a armor crafter went posessed, and started working after grabbing just a single piece of adamantine.

EDIT: 'Boots' has created 'Groupsqueezed the Solitary Duty', an adamantine high boot.

EDIT2: you know your military is getting decent when your (a)nnouncemtents screen keeps reading 'no recent announcements'.
(sparring reports constantly pushing it over the char limit which apparently is combined for the (a) and (r) screen)
And it's just from the combat reports of 5 elves sparring with hammers in the barracks in preparation of becoming crossbow-elves.

EDIT3: The elves really want me to save the apes it seems. So far they've sent me a bonobo, an orangutan, and now a gorilla.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:52:49 am by martinuzz »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51748 on: January 15, 2018, 07:54:33 am »

Merchants arrived. But they were ambushed by a vicious group of capybaras.

Against all expectations, they didn't panic, the wagon didn't scuttle but instead the merchant guards ran about slaughtering the capybaras while the wagon rolled into the trade depot. Great! I think....

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51749 on: January 15, 2018, 01:01:44 pm »

What's your population? Goblins don't even think about attacking until you reach 80.

I don't know how far 20 tiles is, but if they didn't show up as 'neighbors' when you choose your embark spot, they're not coming.

Best you can do now, is to raid your nearest goblins as much as possible. If you provoke them into war, they'll conveniently forget the 80 pop rule. They'll theoretically come from further away to attack you too. But might just attack other sites from your civ which are nearer instead. Raiding humans, elves and other civ dorf sites should work too.

Next thing, build a tavern and fill it with artifacts (yours or other people's). Spies may eventually spread the word to artifact hungry goblins (or humans, elves, or possibly even other dorf civs). They'll come looking for them either by theft or with an army. (Totally new feature, may or may not be working, judging from complete lack of reports on artifact demanding armies, I'd say probably not).

Good luck!
thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 3448 3449 [3450] 3451 3452 ... 3521