Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3436 3437 [3438] 3439 3440 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787941 times)

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51555 on: January 14, 2018, 06:17:56 pm »

Maybe I should make a little sally port bridge from my surface barracks, but I'm disinclined to start knocking down walls until all other entry points are sealed.
1: Where exactly is your barracks? It's a good idea to have a military with at least one squad always ready for fighting, then station them in their barracks/locations relevant to training/soldier life, then make sure that specific barracks is very near the main entrance. That way in the event of a little fun you can sic at least a few (hopefully well-trained, if your dorfs WILL ACTUALLY OBEY THE ORDERS TO TRAIN) troopers on any annoyances before they can capture an entrance.
Rather than trying to explain, have a four-level slice.

I've got a three-layer set of drawbridge airlocks before my central spiral (plus two at the end of my trapped entrance and ample space to wall behind those), so I'm not concerned about breakthroughs. Response time isn't actually any slower than from my original barracks off the first level of housing, but it's not fast. As I said, though, I don't want to muck about with opening extra gaps before I finish sealing off my above-ground economy and battlements on the level above. This is a small world in the early 400s which started with 250 titans, 250 MB, and 500 SMB, so there's plenty of nasty flying shit which could ignore the moat.

As for training, I've not had any problems for quite a few versions with a simple active training alert, even when allowing them to sleep in their own rooms and eat + drink in the dining hall. Got lucky with an artifact statue, too, so they're content to hang out for a long while with little downtime.
[/quote]
nice layout. I have one sorta like it but yours is far grander. go for it
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51556 on: January 14, 2018, 08:47:03 pm »

My fort is still plagued by terrible FPS and GFPS drop whenever caravans arrive. But it's not the caravans, it's the diplomats.
Dunno what exactly causes it, but I just caught my dwarven diplomat in the act of leaving the map. The moment he had left the map, FPS and GFPS immediatly recovered.

What's strange is, that he left in autumn. In my previous forts, the outpost liaison would hang around at tavern and temples until at least end of winter, but now he left just two dwarfweeks after having done diplomatic and trade talks.
FPS drops also occur when the human and elven diplomats are visiting.

EDIT: unrelated: Heh, why does rain only cause steam in one particular single tile of my magma moat?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:00:28 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51557 on: January 15, 2018, 12:00:47 am »

It's been 4.5 years since embark, and I've not yet been attacked. Given my settings and past experiences, I'm not sure why this is. I've already dealt with a werebeast (that killed my only medically-inclined dwarf who was also a legendary cook and craftsman, then scampered as a human), a titan that slaughtered half a squad in half a page of fighting, and a forgotten beast, but not a single goblin. This is unbearably anticlimactic. As I'm embarked with default savagery/civ count and the nearest goblin pit is twenty-odd world tiles away, does anyone have an idea when i can expect some excitement from without?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51558 on: January 15, 2018, 02:50:26 am »

It just occurred to me that every single bone-related item my fort has ever produced has used porcupine bone. every. single. one. we've killed like 4 porcupines but made way more bone-related items than what 4 porcupines should be able to supply. WHAT MADNESS OF PORCUPINE BONE IS THIS?! (also 4 of the 5 artifacts my fort has produced and every masterpiece craft has involved porcupine bone...)

EDIT: HOW DOES A GUY NOT COVERED IN PORCUPINE BLOOD CONTAMINATE AN AQUIFER WITH PORCUPINE BLOOD AS SOON AS HE DISCOVERS IT?!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:57:38 am by weiserthanyou »

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #51559 on: January 15, 2018, 03:37:34 am »

It just occurred to me that every single bone-related item my fort has ever produced has used porcupine bone. every. single. one. we've killed like 4 porcupines but made way more bone-related items than what 4 porcupines should be able to supply. WHAT MADNESS OF PORCUPINE BONE IS THIS?! (also 4 of the 5 artifacts my fort has produced and every masterpiece craft has involved porcupine bone...)

EDIT: HOW DOES A GUY NOT COVERED IN PORCUPINE BLOOD CONTAMINATE AN AQUIFER WITH PORCUPINE BLOOD AS SOON AS HE DISCOVERS IT?!

You've been cursed by the Porcupines. You will suffer and die as you inflicted upon the porcupines. You will know their pain.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51560 on: January 15, 2018, 04:18:43 am »

It's been 4.5 years since embark, and I've not yet been attacked. Given my settings and past experiences, I'm not sure why this is. I've already dealt with a werebeast (that killed my only medically-inclined dwarf who was also a legendary cook and craftsman, then scampered as a human), a titan that slaughtered half a squad in half a page of fighting, and a forgotten beast, but not a single goblin. This is unbearably anticlimactic. As I'm embarked with default savagery/civ count and the nearest goblin pit is twenty-odd world tiles away, does anyone have an idea when i can expect some excitement from without?
What's your population? Goblins don't even think about attacking until you reach 80.

I don't know how far 20 tiles is, but if they didn't show up as 'neighbors' when you choose your embark spot, they're not coming.

Best you can do now, is to raid your nearest goblins as much as possible. If you provoke them into war, they'll conveniently forget the 80 pop rule. They'll theoretically come from further away to attack you too. But might just attack other sites from your civ which are nearer instead. Raiding humans, elves and other civ dorf sites should work too.

Next thing, build a tavern and fill it with artifacts (yours or other people's). Spies may eventually spread the word to artifact hungry goblins (or humans, elves, or possibly even other dorf civs). They'll come looking for them either by theft or with an army. (Totally new feature, may or may not be working, judging from complete lack of reports on artifact demanding armies, I'd say probably not).

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:21:48 am by Shonai_Dweller »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51561 on: January 15, 2018, 07:02:03 am »

It looks like turning off artefacts in the d_init, and turning it back on later resets the 'complexity' of artefacts. Usually, the more artefacts are created, the more ingredients a mood will ask for. But I just turned it back on, and a armor crafter went posessed, and started working after grabbing just a single piece of adamantine.

EDIT: 'Boots' has created 'Groupsqueezed the Solitary Duty', an adamantine high boot.

EDIT2: you know your military is getting decent when your (a)nnouncemtents screen keeps reading 'no recent announcements'.
(sparring reports constantly pushing it over the char limit which apparently is combined for the (a) and (r) screen)
And it's just from the combat reports of 5 elves sparring with hammers in the barracks in preparation of becoming crossbow-elves.

EDIT3: The elves really want me to save the apes it seems. So far they've sent me a bonobo, an orangutan, and now a gorilla.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:52:49 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51562 on: January 15, 2018, 07:54:33 am »

Merchants arrived. But they were ambushed by a vicious group of capybaras.

Against all expectations, they didn't panic, the wagon didn't scuttle but instead the merchant guards ran about slaughtering the capybaras while the wagon rolled into the trade depot. Great! I think....

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51563 on: January 15, 2018, 01:01:44 pm »

What's your population? Goblins don't even think about attacking until you reach 80.

I don't know how far 20 tiles is, but if they didn't show up as 'neighbors' when you choose your embark spot, they're not coming.

Best you can do now, is to raid your nearest goblins as much as possible. If you provoke them into war, they'll conveniently forget the 80 pop rule. They'll theoretically come from further away to attack you too. But might just attack other sites from your civ which are nearer instead. Raiding humans, elves and other civ dorf sites should work too.

Next thing, build a tavern and fill it with artifacts (yours or other people's). Spies may eventually spread the word to artifact hungry goblins (or humans, elves, or possibly even other dorf civs). They'll come looking for them either by theft or with an army. (Totally new feature, may or may not be working, judging from complete lack of reports on artifact demanding armies, I'd say probably not).

Good luck!
thanks!

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51564 on: January 15, 2018, 03:24:12 pm »

Let's see if my lone speardwarf can gut this thing. That, or maybe one of the dozen monster hunters lying around will go and kill it.

EDIT: 7 pages of stabbing later, FB is dead.
not bad. when i had a similar forgotten beast it dropped half a squadron in a row, and apparently another 5-6 dwarves ended up dead, critically wounded and in need of dragging to my hospital, or missing.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51565 on: January 15, 2018, 03:26:00 pm »

this is just absurdly comedic. I envision Doofenshmirtz's birth every time I see this one.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51566 on: January 15, 2018, 05:55:06 pm »

Updated to the new version, which means that the firebreathing forgotten beast that was, up til now, sitting idle suddenly attacked, starting by incinerating a flock of buzzards.

The beast made its way as far as the carved path into the fort before being clubbed to death by a hammer lord.

Now back to cleaning up after the last huge goblin siege.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51567 on: January 16, 2018, 01:18:07 pm »

My fortress, Gatestorm reached its 12th years of activity.
Of course we had a bunch of gob sieges since all those years.

Everytime ending in a nasty bloodbath with tons of items we need to fetch (those torns clothing allow good trading and i'm currently having more iron that i even know what to do with them as every dwarves is full iron armored since several years) and so many unbutcherable corpses and myriads of various body parts and teeth (annoying that you can't even use those troll bones to craft anything) that i need to destroy in my atom smashers (just in case a necromancer comes)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was too used to dfhack "autodump" in the past to get rid of those thousand of useless items instantly so having to do it without now and waiting for those months it takes to the AI to do that is showing that there's really a need for better cleaning/gathering in the game , it takes too much time, require too many AI pathing etc ... to have everything moved to your quantum stockpiles and atom smashers, it's just overall terribly bad the way it is in default game.

And it looks like the death toll have been rising

+/- 100 dwarves have lost their lives during those 12 years, fortunately everytime being replaced quickly by migrant waves that apparently aren't afraid by the place being attacked so regularly and theater of bloody battles.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51568 on: January 16, 2018, 05:55:52 pm »

Book writing has been so slow that one of my stored quires is now a xquirex

EDIT: haha I haven't finished typing this or a dwarf grabs the worn quire (out of 20 quires without wear), and writes a treatise on animal survival.
I now have an artefact that shows signs of wear.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: on topic of libraries, one of my dwarves just became the apprentice of her older sister. This doesn't show in the relations list, probably because they're already listed as sisters. (it does show up in the thoughts and preferences screen)

EDIT: more library observations: out of 19 books written in fort, 8 are made by one dwarf. The dwarf hates knowledge, doesn't like artistry, has absolutely nothing in his profile that would make one think he likes writing books.
But what does set him apart from the rest is that he is a migrant that arrived with an apprentice status to some worldgen dwarf I don't know.

Looks like being an apprentice is a *very* strong modifier to a dwarf's willingness to write books.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:29:55 pm by martinuzz »

Aditia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51569 on: January 16, 2018, 06:27:50 pm »

2 of my Axe Lords slay a forgotten beast. Alas, his poisonous vapour has burnt their entire body!! They now are both blind, rotting, walking miasma machines wielding axes.

I guess they can serve as drill instructors for my recruits, although maybe I should just send them into battle after recuperation
Pages: 1 ... 3436 3437 [3438] 3439 3440 ... 3835