Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3440 3441 [3442] 3443 3444 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5846588 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51615 on: January 20, 2018, 07:06:43 pm »

Hmmmm. How useless is an adamantine whip? I guess I could give it to the sherrif to turn beatings (which I have not seen for the past few forts, I am guessing they need either a monarch, or a lack of jail cells) into whimpy whippings.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 07:08:26 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51616 on: January 20, 2018, 07:06:52 pm »

It looks like that werecivet was someone's friend as very quickly after the werecivet destruction, there was a rather bloody fight erupting involving several of my dwarves.

And it was very brutal as in a few seconds 8 dwarves were dead.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I guess an Axelord being involved in that fight can probably explain how those 8 dwarves were dead in a few seconds of loyalty battle.
It's also possible the dead werecivet was one of the citizen that got bitten several years ago (i had sent him into a raid mission, he never returned) and finally came back as an invader, probably why his old friends weren't happy for that.
But still, never throw a tantrum near an Axelord :D

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #51617 on: January 20, 2018, 07:13:37 pm »

But still, never throw a tantrum near an Axelord :D
Sort of related. I remember years ago, it was a death sentence to be dwarfed as a militiadwarf in a succession fort. Nowadays, I only pick legendary warriors for my dwarves, and I've never died once. The fast skill gain from sparring introduced in 0.40 was a real game changer.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51618 on: January 20, 2018, 07:27:58 pm »

The skill gain speed was nerfed between 40.x and now, i remember i gained legendary dwarves very fast in early df2014 , but now i need many years of training and gob destruction , i think it's better balanced this way now so it makes them a bit more special within your military.

And my loyalty cascade didn't stopped at only 8 dead, far , very far from there.
It actually went fortress-wide, and more importantly even within the military everyone is hacking, hammering, pickaxing or shooting at each other and even when guys are in the same squad !
It looks like after a couple of minute, the fight isn't going on anymore, i guess one of the faction win, but the death toll reached 43 in probably only a minute !

I guess it's not that great that all the axelords, hammerlords and elite marksdwarves were involved (though from the combat reports the poor elite marksdwarves weren't very lucky when they faced 2 axelords). But the fights between all those weaponlords must have been a sight to behold.
On the 48 dwarves that were in my 5 squads (i had a axe squad, amarksdwarves squad, a hammer squad, a pickaxe squad and the "honored veteran" squad filled with nerve damaged/grip/standing lost warriors) , there are only 23 warriors still standing.
The loss of several legendary weaponlord will be hard to replace, but what an event that shaked the foundation of that fortress, it had been several years that none died despite i was now sending all the military to melee the regular 100+ gob invasions (too high skilled + iron and steel armored).

But a couple of minute was enough for everyone to show their true color and launch a faction war.
Against all odds, the mayor survived (for some reason my fortress still hasn't got any nobility despite it's near 15 years of wealth and pop scale ready for it)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 07:32:12 pm by Robsoie »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51619 on: January 20, 2018, 08:24:09 pm »

Hehe, I had to emergency release a prisoner that went fey. Now have a dwarf wearing a steel chain on his upper body. I wonder if it has any armor value.

EDIT: importing those diamonds is paying off. Value 1.4 million dwarfbucks artefact
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, the dwarf actually took off the prison chain after creating the artefact
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:36:30 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51620 on: January 20, 2018, 09:35:18 pm »

Impressive value, that should attract a lot of attention.

Meanwhile, finally finished to complete my rock coffin production to bury all of the fallen dwarves from that faction battle that near halved the fort population.
It was a time a dozen of humans decided to attack , probably coming from the town i had sent my "honored veterans" to raid, for once they actually waged war there instead of finding nothing, killed a bunch of humans (and a gob that was there) before returning triumphant.

Despite my army was halved too, they had absolutely no problem to annihilate the newcomers, some legendary weaponlords are still alive and well, unfortunately for the humans.
That will teach them to accept gobs as member after all they did to the dwarvenkind.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51621 on: January 20, 2018, 11:00:27 pm »

Goblin siege showed up. I beat it back so thoroughly that I was killing goblins as they materialized no the edge of the map for a little bit at the end. That was funny, and kind of sad. My elite warriors just plow through them like a lawnmower. Marksdwarves are still pretty effective as well, and this time nobody leaped through the fortifications.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51622 on: January 21, 2018, 09:23:03 am »

Looks like my fortress finally reached an understanding on why none wants to come live here

edit : meanwhile, the human army came back to attack us, i guess sending my "honored veteran" squad multiple time to raid their traitor city that is in collusion with gob filth probably pissed them off.

If only they knew what they're going to find, maybe they wouldn't have come. Will take time to clean the mess once my military will be finished with giving them a brutal end.

Interesting is that they upped their game this time, looks like most of their troops are mounted on horses

Not that it will help them much.

edit 2 :
probably the oddest siege i got, human war strategy is rather strange.
First 4 horses without any human on them moved slowly toward my walls while the mounted troops were waiting on the map edge, despite i left my gates completely open (as at that point of my military strength and equipment i don't need to turtle in anymore and leaving my gates open is the only way for siege to not take forever to come to me).
Of course my marksdwarves made very short work of those hostile horses.

Once those horses were dead, i saw +/- a dozen of mounted soldiers leaving the human army position and charging to the west, charging because it looks like their horses were really sprinting very fast, and a few seconds later they exited the map for some reason.

And then only then, the human army started to move, and despite being on horse they were moving slowly, as slowly as if it was a troop on foot walking slow. Oh well, it gave my marksdwarves even more time to fill them with bolts, leading them to start a very fast charge ... toward the bottom map edge and disappear.

So we could only destroy a very few of them before they ran away as my melee troopers unfortunately could only catch those humans that were by then without horses.

Those humans looks like even bigger cowards than their gob friends.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:46:44 am by Robsoie »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51623 on: January 21, 2018, 11:31:10 am »

All those raids have finally paid off!  Buwahahahahahaha!

Spoiler: Necromancer (click to show/hide)

Let the "FUN" start!   8)

Edit: Oh uh...now a human visiting scholar has become a Necromancer.... ???
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:18:43 pm by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51624 on: January 21, 2018, 01:40:22 pm »

I was wondering why the elves didn't come in the spring like they usually do. As it turns out, my civ is now at war with the elves.
Delightful.
Happened to me too in my previous fort. Still no idea why, I did nothing to upset them. I guess some other dwarf group on the world map triggered war.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51625 on: January 21, 2018, 03:46:30 pm »

I was wondering why the elves didn't come in the spring like they usually do. As it turns out, my civ is now at war with the elves.
Delightful.
Happened to me too in my previous fort. Still no idea why, I did nothing to upset them. I guess some other dwarf group on the world map triggered war.
More likely triggered by the elves. Dwarves almost never declare war by themselves (except when harassed by players of course). What does Legends say?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51626 on: January 21, 2018, 05:12:21 pm »

I accidentally deleted that save in an overzealous spring harddrive cleaning effort. One directory too many.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51627 on: January 21, 2018, 10:41:19 pm »

Goblin ambush!
Well, not a real one unfortunately. They're still MIA, but a bunch of gobbos sent by my ambusher Dark Elf civ (whose ambushing does work).

Low pop, no military. Hell, no metal at all that I can find. Ok. Close the drawbridge.

Oh, what a noob mistake. Damn dorfs took so long to make the thing, I forgot to link the lever to it. Bolts fly, Fun is had.  :)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51628 on: January 21, 2018, 10:48:51 pm »

@ Robsoie - That's not human warfare, that's horses not having any tags to make them stand and fight. There's nothing more infuriating than having to deal with mongol tactics in a game like dwarf fortress if enough people show up on skittish mounts with ranged weapons. The riders were probably trying to get the damned things to stop running away from the enemy.

Been chipping away at a story fort I intend to put up once I have a good enough tag line for it. Undead eagles and deformed gelatinous demon fetuses have been the main threats, all while the dwarves have been slowly working on building a marble tower i intend to eventually cap with a nice shiny silver roof. No sieges yet, thankfully, because so far my only remotely useful metal has been silver, which is fine and dandy for making beating sticks and crossbow bolts, but less than ideal when you need armor for a militia that's been making due with leather body armor over mail shirts with a metal helmet for protection.

There's also been A boreworm and Belleyache attack (all these oddities coming from ZM5's horror monster pack) and by some twisted fuckin' miracle, the worst injuries were some broken ribs and a cut on a guy's calf. I'm sure the miracles will stop when the literal circus comes to town though, as my closest neighbors are a gigantic belt of circus performers (who seem to be a mixture of mutants and other degenerate freaks.)

Monomstodir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51629 on: January 22, 2018, 03:46:55 am »

My fort lately can be characterised as 'accidents with meat'. Such as my champion woodcrafter wandering into the refuse pit/atom smasher room at the precise moment that a hauler chucked 47 rotten rutherer meat lumps down the chute, crushing his skull and killing him instantly. Or the brawl that erupted in my visitors bar after some night spark stored giant cave swallow offal in the masterpiece stockpile and the resultant miasma made a lot of people very unhappy.

Also - Urist McLogic, of all the places you could choose to clean (such as the bloodstains in the main staircase, or the vomit in the bedroom halls), why are you cleaning the bone pit?!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:30:47 am by Monomstodir »
Pages: 1 ... 3440 3441 [3442] 3443 3444 ... 3836