Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3450 3451 [3452] 3453 3454 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787250 times)

NeoSilverThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, not again.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51765 on: February 18, 2018, 12:12:40 am »

Had to scrap my last fortress after my miners dug channels into a river and helped to flood the fortress due to a floodgate failure.  (Specifically, nobody got up off their hinders to install the floodgates and I failed to notice this.) 

May have to abandon my current fortress because my woodcutter apparently thinks it's more important to finish off the last of the booze and non-rotted food instead of, y'know, cutting down trees so we can make ammo and hunt.

It's been one of those nights, Armok help me.
"Good" is when a fortress lasts a season without major catastrophy.  "Great" is when it lasts a year.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51766 on: February 18, 2018, 12:54:57 am »

Continuing to plug away on the multi-story dwarfwash meeting area project.

(Basically, water "rains" out of the upwards channelized cuts into the aquifer layer above, down a shaft of supported floor grates, over which several meeting zones are placed. This automatically washes dwarves, and gives them mist happy thoughts, when they idle. It empties into the cavern layer, and drains off the side of the map.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51767 on: February 18, 2018, 01:16:15 am »

This wasn't how it was supposed to go. I was expecting to be attacked by the circus freaks, as they were literally the closest neighbors.

But no.

No.

Fucking pirates.

LAND PIRATES. WHY ARE THERE PIRATES THIS FAR INLAND.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51768 on: February 18, 2018, 01:42:25 am »

How does that law work for the colourblind?
WHAT? They can't do that. Magenta is a natural resource, as are all other colors.

Also, how do they define magenta? As a range of frequencies? As an RGB code? Anything anyone calls magenta? The word "magenta"?
it's just so you cannot use the exact same colour in your brand for logo and/or text and for design.
i got no idea how they defined that colour and yes, it's stupid.
It's probably a Pantone number.

Trademarking colors is rare but it's generally allowed, because if the public thinks every Dark blue widget comes from your company, then any other company producing a Dark blue widget is lying to consumers. The trick is convincing the Courts that everyone sees dark blue widgets and thinks "that guy made that."

NeoSilverThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, not again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51769 on: February 18, 2018, 02:06:23 am »

This wasn't how it was supposed to go. I was expecting to be attacked by the circus freaks, as they were literally the closest neighbors.

But no.

No.

Fucking pirates.

Because they are horribly, horribly geographically confused.
"Good" is when a fortress lasts a season without major catastrophy.  "Great" is when it lasts a year.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51770 on: February 18, 2018, 03:21:53 am »

WHAT? They can't do that. Magenta is a natural resource, as are all other colors.

Also, how do they define magenta? As a range of frequencies? As an RGB code? Anything anyone calls magenta? The word "magenta"?
it's just so you cannot use the exact same colour in your brand for logo and/or text and for design.

Trademarking colors is rare but it's generally allowed, because if the public thinks every Dark blue widget comes from your company, then any other company producing a Dark blue widget is lying to consumers. The trick is convincing the Courts that everyone sees dark blue widgets and thinks "that guy made that."

What is this?

RGB magenta == 255,0,255 (Full saturation red and blue, zero saturation green)
For pantone, since their color space is CMYK, it is 100% magenta ink/dye, with no other pigments present.

As for "owning" a color, this is an offshoot of the synthetic dye industry.  One of the first synthetic dyes was an aniline coal tar derivative, that was trademarked as "Mauve". Since the pigment itself was artificial, and the process to manufacture it was patented, there was substantial grounds to trademark the unique color of the pigment itself. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:27:46 am by wierd »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51771 on: February 18, 2018, 03:35:00 am »

What is this?

RGB magenta == 255,0,255 (Full saturation red and blue, zero saturation green)
For pantone, since their color space is CMYK, it is 100% magenta ink/dye, with no other pigments present.

As for "owning" a color, this is an offshoot of the synthetic dye industry.  One of the first synthetic dyes was an aniline coal tar derivative, that was trademarked as "Mauve". Since the pigment itself was artificial, and the process to manufacture it was patented, there was substantial grounds to trademark the unique color of the pigment itself.
guys, this is going far offtopic. i think it is plain wrong to do something like patenting a colour or a simple shape and i see you agree.
(apple tried and failed to register a patent for any device with a square shape and rounded edges, while this design obviously existed many hundred years before even the country of the company was founded).
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51772 on: February 18, 2018, 04:05:13 am »

But no.

No.

Fucking pirates.

Because they are horribly, horribly geographically confused.
And now horribly, horribly dead. Er.... Made dead again, in some cases. Seriously, my dwarves killed 55 out of 74 of these fuckers plus a jaguar and 6 or 7 horses by the end of the fight.

Had three dwarves injured, one with injuries not sufficient enough to warrant needing medical care (just a bruised lung,) and two killed.

I'm still confused as to why they brought a herd of random ass horses though. They weren't even mounted, just kinda there.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51773 on: February 18, 2018, 05:17:03 am »

Update on the aftermath of the FB:

My entire milita are rotting; and half of them are blind. The War Bear I assigned to my Milita Commander has all four paws rotting.

The result? My milita; who are completely incapable of fighting now and have been relived of duty due to it; are wandering around causing clouds of maisma everywhere. Especially the bear which follows my ex-Milita Commander.

I'm not sure if I should be impressed that my Doctors kept the army alive... or upset at the fact that because my doctors kept them alive my fort is being filled with purple clouds.

Of note is I'm unsure as to how my milita are alive when their faces have rotted off.

Regardless... I need a new militia. And perhaps devise a way to fight FB's without this happening again.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 05:23:24 am by Raikaria »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #51774 on: February 18, 2018, 09:14:53 am »

I thought this was a rather quiet spot, we're even at peace with the goblins, and now: wereelephant attack! Not even half a year after I embarked!

The beast is slowed down by my animals, but not quite enough... three dwarves are just a few tiles away from the doors when the crazed elephant monster is upon them. The last one, a farmer, is unlucky and gets torn apart... thankfully the beast breaks his upper spine first.

Nish Okilmeng saved two other dwarves by holding on to his limbs as long as possible. He will be remembered and is survived by Bėmbul Hoistgloves, his pet rabbit.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #51775 on: February 18, 2018, 02:55:53 pm »

Made a trap lined bridge over a moat im going to fill with lava, which leads to my trade depot, the tunnel to which xan also be flooded with lava or separated into a long zig zag trap corridor.

One of the monster slayers showed up with two artifact weapons; a bow and a halberd. Im keeping them. Locked him in a room until he dies
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51776 on: February 18, 2018, 03:05:28 pm »

One of the monster slayers showed up with two artifact weapons; a bow and a halberd. Im keeping them. Locked him in a room until he dies
Are they artifacts from moods or just common weapons that were named by the slayer?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #51777 on: February 18, 2018, 03:18:09 pm »

And then a siege army will come when they hear of his death.

And they will be slaughtered by some guy carrying those two weapons.

DoctorDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51778 on: February 18, 2018, 05:51:02 pm »

We got attacked by a Roc. It slaughtered a couple of dwarves as I tried to lure it into a cage trap. Then it got wrestled to death by a few militia stragglers who were on their way to the burrows behind the cage traps but got overtaken by the roc. Oh well.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51779 on: February 18, 2018, 05:55:04 pm »

Crazypulleys is now officially a Barony.

We received our second Siege; allowing my rebuilt Marksdwarf corp a time to shine. The Goblin forces were 18 strong...

Everything was going well; my Dwarves refusing to stand next to fortifications notwithstanding; until three holes opened in the ground above my barracks again; and a Marksgoblin decided to stand next to a hole just as one of my Marksdwarves was making a break for ammo. The result? The Marksdwarf has lost use of his legs; nerve damage. But a crossbow only needs one arm; he has a good aim; and a crutch. In fact; he killed one of the blighters.

Eventually; my crossbow wielders started getting enough xp to not have to stand with their noses to the fortifications to fire; and we quickly killed 2 more Goblins; as well as one of the ones which fell into a hole that my melees quickly dealt with.

Total result of the battle: Crazypulleys losses - 0; Goblin losses: 3 Dead; 5 captured; 4 injured badly; several with minor injuries

Now; I need to move my barracks deeper underground so my arrows don't make skylights. Also to collect the Goblinite and give my melee dwarves a bit of live practise on some unarmed; stripped prisoners... or maybe I should turn them into pincushions with a fireing squad...
Pages: 1 ... 3450 3451 [3452] 3453 3454 ... 3835