Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3452 3453 [3454] 3455 3456 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789272 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51795 on: February 22, 2018, 06:08:05 am »

Lost another fort; this time to a Werefox that came really early.

It killed 2 dwarves and bit quite a few, so the injured went to the hospital and I worked to seal them in and... wait one of them didn't go to the hospital OH GOD EVERYONE'S GETTING BIT. At least the one that transformed is dead...

The second full moon I again managed to get most of the [Now 14 with 10 deaths] Werefoxes in the walled off section... only for two more that were in their rooms to transform. At that point; it was over.

Good luck with any new forts in that world, you'll get infected migrants from your old fort that screw up everything. Most people seem to just gen a new world if they lose one to werebeasts.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Anandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51796 on: February 22, 2018, 06:34:58 am »

But what if a cloud doesn't pass over that spot for a year?
then that dorf is clearly a performer of the dark arts controlling the weather.
See this guy gets it.

What will be done to those claimed by the clouds?

We will grind their husks to powder and use it to make slabs in memory of their innocense or maybe just push them into the volcano to apease armok... whatever is easier...

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #51797 on: February 22, 2018, 03:37:48 pm »

DOUBLE POST

I have a problem with a guy who has 12 kids and a wife, none of which came with him on his migration, and he has been a member of like 15 civs but says he's thirty years old. He must be a vampire, and he must be lying, and I am not sure how to tell otherwise.

Anyway I did some research and the proper way to reveal truth about suspicion is with a completely unrelated illogical test that results in either confirmation of bias or death. I built a platform out in the evil area where husk clouds roam. If the cloud comes by and turns him into a husk, he was innocent. If he survives the length of one year, he's a vampire and will be fed to the volcano (ironically, it's a mirthful volcano).

I see no flaws in my plan. Some wahoo broke a chair and like 50 people saw him do it, but I think i'll convict this guy as an excuse to chain him to the platform of truth.
Instead of doing a witch test, where the innocent die, just lock him in a room with a unowned bedroom. If he eventually sleeps in the bed and owns it, then he is not a vampire. If he doesn't sleep, or hunger, just keep him locked in that room, or give him a lever room.
And I'm not sure that a vampire can't be husked.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51798 on: February 23, 2018, 03:48:25 am »

A soldier was stuck in "Traveling" state after a exploration mission to nearby ruins. The rest of her squad seems to wait on her return and refuses to do anything while they're missing a member. Is there a known fix for this? I can't think of anything except dismantling the whole squad, which I'm guessing would still leave her squad captain stuck in an undeployable squad.

---

An update on Dakost the Friendly Ghost Speardwarf: Dakost continues to follow the routines of his militia squad, happy and never complaining. Apparently he is not sparring or doing his individual combat drills, but he does learn skills passively. His Observation is on a steady rise from watching the others spar and he gains new skills everytime one of his squadmates gives a demonstration on something. In time he could reach a post-mortem Legendary status with a skill; I wonder if his Ñ character will start to blink like with other Legendaries?

When deployed, Dakost is always the first one on spot, mainly because of his ability to take shortcuts through walls, floors and other obstacles. He will also move to places the rest of his squad can't path. Unfortunately it seems his presence doesn't reveal any previously hidden areas, so I can't use him as a handy spectral explorer.

I'm waiting to see if he applies for citizenship, and what happens when he gets it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 04:36:21 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51799 on: February 23, 2018, 03:59:45 am »

Does Dakost take part in off-site raids too?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51800 on: February 23, 2018, 04:33:36 am »

No, he just walks off the map and simply vanishes from the game forever if I try to send his squad on a mission. I tried that once and had to savescum to get him back.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51801 on: February 23, 2018, 09:21:37 am »

No, he just walks off the map and simply vanishes from the game forever if I try to send his squad on a mission. I tried that once and had to savescum to get him back.

I wonder if you use dfhack to untoggle ghostly self and ressurect him back. 
I think you can also use full-heal script as long as you have the unit id, and resurrect him with an option to have a corpse souvenir.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51802 on: February 23, 2018, 02:13:44 pm »

The new Fortress of Unionsprings is going well. Oddly, nothing has come to try and kill the fort yet.

I am slowly arming my military in Steel; although production is somewhat slow. I have an Armour-smith who underwent a mood; so I am gradually making high-quality Steel armor. I guess I can appreciate the slower pace of this fort; as it's giving my military time to train.

Oddly; I have an absolutely massive cavern. I had to dig quite a bit to bypass it; and it spans from Z-24 to Z-97. That's a 73 Z-level cavern. I've never seen a cavern even close to the size of that.

Even weirder; most of it is open air and water at the bottom; there isn't much land; and what there is is almost inaccessible. This has allowed me to make a cistern, but it also means I don't actually have access to the spoils of the caverns; like a supply of Crundles for leather; or various weak beasties for live training...

I get the feeling this is a calm before a storm. I am currently digging attempting to find the 2nd cavern layer. Z -117 and counting...

Makes me wonder how far I'll need to dig to hit the magma. I got a lot of trees in my embark area however; so Charcoal serves the purpose for now.

Edit: My first Seige arrived. For some reason my Drawbridge failed; but the Seige was only 5 goblins; and even included a poor recruit.

4 Goblins were trapped; and the fifth retreated through a hail of bolts.

I've also found the second cavern; a layer of vast mud. I have captured a lot of Elk Birds and a Giant Cave Spider. I have enough meat and leather, so I think I'll pit the Elk Birds against the Goblins. And my Marksdwarves can finish the winners.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:18:55 pm by Raikaria »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #51803 on: February 23, 2018, 03:55:59 pm »

I'm having a real vampire problem.
It started out slow, I noticed a pale dwarf running around. I started having a closer look at some residents and found a suspicious dwarf in my militia - she didn't worship any of the fort's gods and didn't seem to drink alcohol.

A little bit later, she confirmed those suspicions by draining one of the recruits in plain view of his entire squad, including the captain of the guard. She's off to jail! I'll decide what to do with her later.

A few weeks after that, one of my bone carvers is found in his bedroom, completely drained of blood. No witnesses, so I pin it on the jailed vampire. Maybe she drained the carver shortly before he got imprisoned.

Some months later, another vampire victim. Apparently, our idiot vampire has a friend on the outside, since she's still safely locked up in a lead cage.
Strangely enough, I'm not getting any reports in the justice window for this crime, not one witness who found the body comes forth.

I only realize much later that the victim was the captain of the guard. Justice is dead.

And now, we wait for the vampire to slip up. I'm curious how long they can keep this up.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #51804 on: February 23, 2018, 04:29:31 pm »

I only realize much later that the victim was the captain of the guard. Justice is dead.

I suggets you appoint the imprisoned vampire as the new captain of the guard. Let the vampire turf war begin.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51805 on: February 23, 2018, 07:49:38 pm »

So the good news is that my militia successfully repelled the fort's first siege. The bad news is that almost everyone died. Congratulations on your promotion to militia commander, Onget Trussroads.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51806 on: February 23, 2018, 08:31:20 pm »

So the good news is that my militia successfully repelled the fort's first siege. The bad news is that almost everyone died. Congratulations on your promotion to militia commander, Onget Trussroads.
"Almost" everyone sounds like a victory to me. Open for migration! Step carefully on the way in...

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51807 on: February 24, 2018, 08:20:24 am »

First siege of new fort. My 5 dwarf squad killed all the goblins (there were 5 or so crossbows and 2 maces), only two were wounded. One of them got an arrow in his stomach and the other got his ribs shattered by a mace.

The arrow wound is unfortunately infected, even after use of soap by the doctors. It's unlikely that the dwarf will survive a stomach infection, which is kinda realistic since during the middle ages a gut wound was pretty much guaranteed to kill you slowly.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51808 on: February 24, 2018, 10:09:11 am »

A Minotaur arrived!

While I could have killed it; or used it for live training; I've decided to take a particually dwarfy route, although this means my 'Guest' will need to wait around a bit.

I've done to some of my empty Z-levels before the massive 50+ levels cavern; and dug out a 2 Z-level labyrinth for the Minotaur to inhabit. I shall smooth all the stone. I shall place within it floodgates and pressure switches. And I shall even place some iron weapons strewn about [I'll just forbid axes from my weapon stockpiles. I don't use Axes].

For things that have 'earnt' a better death than merely execution in the pit; I shall place into the Maze. Should they defeat the Minotaur? They may live out their eternity within until I find a new inhabitant. Perhaps grunt Goblins will be executed while their commander gets the Maze. Or low-rank Goblins get the Maze. Who knows.

In other news; my Hammerdwarves are nearly fully kitted in fine Steel.

MoonstoneFace

• Bay Watcher
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #51809 on: February 24, 2018, 10:09:57 am »

Well I did, and got a message of a ghostly speardwarf having risen and haunting the fortress. To my surprise he could actually be drafted to a militia squad, so I did that too. Now he follows the squad everywhere it goes; he obeys movement orders and hangs around when others are sparring. I haven't seen him spar yet himself, though. He can't even fight, it looks like he's trying to charge opponents but then passes through them harmlessly. Maybe he can scare some enemies to death.

I think I will keep Dakost the Friendly Ghost around for a bit. He seems to be a very well-mannered spectre; haven't even haunted any of my citizens yet.

Perhaps you could use Dakost to train water creatures? http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Animal_trainer#Training_water_creatures There's a section on this page on how to do this, for it cannot be done by normal dwarves. It's fairly useless, but perhaps with a bit of modding...
Quote from: Michael Caine
I am Michael Caine
Pages: 1 ... 3452 3453 [3454] 3455 3456 ... 3835