Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3453 3454 [3455] 3456 3457 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787184 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51810 on: February 24, 2018, 01:42:13 pm »

Has anyone figured out the solution to the endless traveling bug?

I've got a dwarf that is permanently marked as traveling after a mission, and I can't even change the alert status for the squad.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51811 on: February 24, 2018, 06:07:03 pm »

Perhaps you could use Dakost to train water creatures? http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Animal_trainer#Training_water_creatures There's a section on this page on how to do this, for it cannot be done by normal dwarves. It's fairly useless, but perhaps with a bit of modding...

Assuming I can get him to apply for full citizenship, yes, I might try that. There aren't that many jobs in the fortress that won't require a pair of corporeal hands, so it's either that or entertainment business.

In other news, a wife of a mercenary serving in the fortress has arrived in search of an artifact. Looks like she isn't going to bugger off anytime soon; she already shares a bedroom with her husband, despite having no status in Goodanvils. I fear she is here to stay.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

bearshogun1692

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51812 on: February 24, 2018, 11:38:58 pm »

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51813 on: February 25, 2018, 12:46:21 am »

I tried to replace workflow with a new and upgraded manager interface. It works reasonably well for 90% of tasks, but for other 10% I see overproduction (because limits are not respected for unknown reasons for some particular items, tasks are getting resumed - backpacks, waterskins), and a cancelation spam (because reagent limits are not respected as well, despite showing green/red correctly in the task details).

I'll be switching back to workflow in the next fort.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51814 on: February 25, 2018, 02:56:46 am »

Today's mission was to embark near a vast minotaur civ and see how quickly they can be provoked into war. Wasn't quite expecting the actual embark site to be a camp of 15 minotaur warriors.

Well, minotaurs are civilized beasts. Show them we mean no harm and quickly get on with fortress building and there'll be no trouble right?

That worked at first, the bulls were happy to go about their business as we went about ours.

Not sure what triggered it. Perhaps the undead raven attack? Maybe the broker got into an argument. Whatever it was, it wasn't pretty. Minotaurs are awfully efficient killers (they also finished off the ravens and the bits of my yak which came back very quickly).

They've left the mason alive and seem to be content having him build his walls by himself. The beasts are all hanging out at the wagon now though so I don't think this is going to end well...

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51815 on: February 25, 2018, 03:48:28 am »

2 captured giant cave crocodiles produced ~100 more cave crocodiles (2x50) in the first year. Just wow. That is a definite upgrade over chickens. Once they mature, they will provide fantastic bonus to my defense. I'll have them sitting in a cage at the entrance, which would be connected to a lever. Just think of it... 100 angry crocs released in the center of a goblin army.

Update: and they instantly laid 100 more eggs! This is madness!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 03:51:38 am by falcn »

Joël

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51816 on: February 25, 2018, 04:48:22 am »

Today, I Were-Hare came. As I lost a previous fort to two (seperate "waves" of) were-rhinos, I was worried.
The beast killed a goose and then transformed back, quickly leaving the site. "I really need to step up my military efforts now", I thought and went on to produce more steel for my soon-to-be militia.

Another uninvited guest annonced itself: a roc. I've never seen one before and having no military to speak of, I was worried.
How to kill a roc? Let your Lamas handle it! I have an enclosed pasture on a plateau, and for those of you that don't speak french: plateau also means "plate", which is exactly the thing I was serving my animals on. But some of them put on a fight. The roc quickly became tired, before it decided to enter the fortress. Luckily enough, the stone traps I put there were enough to finish the beasts.

Can you train lamas to use as war-beasts?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #51817 on: February 25, 2018, 08:08:52 am »

And now, we wait for the vampire to slip up. I'm curious how long they can keep this up.
Got her!
She was another military dwarf (that'll be the first place I look next time). One more sneaky murder without witnesses, but then she got stupid and took a sip from a recruit sleeping in the barracks - thankfully she didn't drain him completely.

One fun side effect of using cages for the jail: if you deconstruct the cages, the dwarf stays inside. Meaning I now have two cages with naked vampires in my animal stockpile. Now, where to put them...

Dumping them in magma would kill them too quickly.
I'd like to throw them into the ocean, have them spend eternity trying to bite the fishes swimming through the bars, but this isn't an ocean embark...

Okay, here's the plan. Next winter, I'll build one of the cages on the frozen river. The vampire will have a nice season outside, experiencing the winter landscape for the last time. Spring through autumn she'll enjoy in the river. And the winter after that, I'll dig her out and see what's left of her!

The other one can wait until I get an adventurer to throw her into the ocean.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #51818 on: February 25, 2018, 02:31:51 pm »

Screwing around with dfhack and a nice embark where the savannas meet the mountains. No iron, but I do have cassiterite and tin, and gold, so bronze gear and gold furniture it is! The dwarves have a little tavern but I had to confiscate the mugs and alcohol because so many visitors and even a couple dwarves died.

The map has absolutely no water on it, in any of the caverns or aboveground, and it has no aquifer either. I had to use dfhack to create a source point in a well I dug. I'm digging out a huge artificial chasm as well, since the first cavern is so far down, where I will farm wild cavern flora and fauna. Its taking ages and sucking up my fps, but it will be glorious. Thinking of decorating it with artificial stalagtites and -mites and a little river/pond
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51819 on: February 25, 2018, 08:14:20 pm »

I have a fort in an evil area to challenge myself after having a fortress where nothing came for 10 years.

Now I have horse foal vile gloom zombie and bull calf vile gloom zombie fighting each other. They don't seem to be able to kill each other, as they have been at it for quite a while. Foal was the first to lose its teeth, but calf followed soon after. It looks like some kind of death dance among teeth, there is a lot of them.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51820 on: February 25, 2018, 09:07:33 pm »

I have a fort in an evil area to challenge myself after having a fortress where nothing came for 10 years.

Now I have horse foal vile gloom zombie and bull calf vile gloom zombie fighting each other. They don't seem to be able to kill each other, as they have been at it for quite a while. Foal was the first to lose its teeth, but calf followed soon after. It looks like some kind of death dance among teeth, there is a lot of them.
The slow death dances of husked animals is scary. I had husked sea otters on one embark and there would be a group of them fighting on the ice or in the water each year, until the ocean refroze, killing some or all of them, then more would arrive later, get husked, and it would happen again. Sea otters are little compared to bulls. A husked bull should be able to wipe out a lot of goblins. Cage it!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51821 on: February 25, 2018, 11:54:11 pm »

Started a new fort tonight after my last embark died of sudden lag issues 2 years in. Embarked in an untamed tropical savanna that also has a creek splitting in 2 so hopefully lots of cool beasties. And it has a nice natural moat too I just noticed as well as a measly 1z waterfall.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:14:35 am by Jefthefirst »
I just atom smashed 30 children.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51822 on: February 26, 2018, 01:34:18 pm »

I've solved the husked animal duel by sending military after them, because they were blocking my fortress entrance and I had some migrants to let in.

But now I have another endless fight going on. A baby llama head has crept into meeting area. I have about 100 dwarves total, and I wonder how many of them are fighting. But a lot of civilians and military dwarves are locked in fighting it. All attacks against it either glance off or go through, while its attacks have no force behind them.

I guess this fort is done for. Damn those migrants for bringing pets into reanimating biome.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #51823 on: February 26, 2018, 01:52:14 pm »

Last version? I thought Toady fixed this one. 

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51824 on: February 26, 2018, 02:15:48 pm »

I have v0.43.05. I've just searched and whoa, I've been playing DF long enough for it to get obsolete! I'll try upgrading to v0.44.05 and see what happens. Thanks, I haven't thought about that.

edit: It worked, in new version, the fight ended moments after unpausing.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:58:54 pm by Kametec_Housen »
Pages: 1 ... 3453 3454 [3455] 3456 3457 ... 3835