Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3454 3455 [3456] 3457 3458 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788252 times)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51825 on: February 26, 2018, 05:41:18 pm »

Apparently my dwarves really hate dingoes.
A decent sized pack of them entered my map and bothered the merchants on their way out. The merchants, however, were unfazed and quickly found out that punching dingoes was fun. They even went off their track to the edge of the map to hunt some more dingoes down.

Then, my dwarves joined in. A bone carver, who wasn't even attacked, started chasing after dingoes and grabbed and released them just for fun. A wandering sage, who was on her way out, helped her out and strangled the dingo to death.
A stone crafter dropped her baby and ran after a dingo on her own, also choking it out. Then she complained that the fighting wasn't satisfying.

None of these dwarves have any military equipment or experience!

Migrants came along, I guess the news of the dingo free-for-all must have spread quickly. An immigrant wood cutter chopped down a dingo as her first welcome action. My dwarves didn't rest until every last dingo was chased from the map.

I've never seen this grand-scale aggression from civilians before. This is truly horrifying...

Edit: One dingo went into a cage trap. She'll have to live with these bearded maniacs, every one staring at her with blood lust in their eyes...
I think I'll offer her as a pet!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 05:56:03 pm by Trif »
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #51826 on: February 26, 2018, 06:32:19 pm »

Oh this happened on one fort of mine with cappy bara, a fricking child dwarf killed one once. Dwarves can be angery little psychopaths.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51827 on: February 26, 2018, 10:58:50 pm »

Got the first migrant wave at my new fort, unfortunately only 2 dorfs strong. Hopefully the next one is a little more robust. In other news I breached the second cavern layer to find a scene of carnage. There was a Reptile Man tribe in the cavern and at some point a Jabberer spawned and they didn't take too kindly to the intrusion. To their own demise...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I just atom smashed 30 children.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51828 on: February 27, 2018, 06:57:06 am »

Finally finished my Labyrinth. Smoothed it all over as well so the blood flows nicely...

I go to release the Minotaur into it... and it just stands there.

I open the main door so it would get re-caged so I can lure it in with goblins first. It just stands there.

So I had to use my military to kill it. And it still just stood there.

Well; the Goblins will have to populate the labyrinth for now. Until I catch something that the Goblins can bait in...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 07:04:02 am by Raikaria »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51829 on: February 27, 2018, 03:34:01 pm »

When I built a place to keep my giant, it took like 2 months for it to decide to start moving about.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #51830 on: February 27, 2018, 04:03:22 pm »

There's a bug that makes caging a creature mess up pathfinding. Unless you tame the creature before you release it, it will just sit there.

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51831 on: February 27, 2018, 07:26:55 pm »

There's a bug that makes caging a creature mess up pathfinding. Unless you tame the creature before you release it, it will just sit there.

Potentially good for slaughtering dangerous creatures...
I just atom smashed 30 children.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51832 on: February 28, 2018, 02:12:50 pm »

Well; I caught an Ettin.

Turns out Ettins are friendly with Goblins.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #51833 on: March 01, 2018, 01:43:37 pm »

So I sent a squad to raid some nearby goblins.
For reasons one of the soldiers took a long time to get ready.
I accidently saved between between the rest of his squad leaving, and his own departure.
When he left there was a crash, so loaded the save before the crash, and stationed him away.
Now, one of the members of the squad sent away returned in a migrant wave.

Sadly, I didn't think to station him, and he went away.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51834 on: March 01, 2018, 04:20:42 pm »

About 4 years ago I ended up rescuing 4 goblin slaves by accident, after raiding a goblin pit for artifacts(books). They then became a part of my military after petitioning first for sanctuary and then later for citizenship.

This goblin squad has been a lightly armored, speed-oriented ninja squad for when I need to catch something, or when I need firepower somewhere fast. Because goblins are more agile than dwarves by genetics. Unfortunately, only 2 of the 4 are alive at this point, because I am at war with 5 civilizations at once and am getting sieged almost every season as a result.

I have also randomly resqued 3 humans. They will be part of my military as soon as they petition for citizenship (it takes 2 years from the moment of when they first sanctuary petition).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:22:46 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #51835 on: March 02, 2018, 02:25:14 pm »

Had a small one squad goblin siege after raiding one of their pits. Two of them blundered into the cage traps and the rest fled. I had my militia squad chase them down and they got a couple.

Now i have to build an execution chamber
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51836 on: March 02, 2018, 07:38:10 pm »

The elves inexplicably declared war on my civilization in my fort's second year. Last spring, they sent an enormous siege--dozens of elves and over a hundred war animals, including a couple dozen war tigers. It was pretty easily put down between my cage traps and my militia, and I sent a squad to raid them in retaliation.

The humans then brought yet another caravan containing nothing but insultingly useless goods, including twenty or more copies of a single terribly-written book, the only book they have deigned to bring me, year after year, in this fort's history. This year, I'd had enough, so I sent a squad to raid their capital, and they brought back 10 much better books that the filthy humans refused to share. I'm going to raid their capital for good books annually until they start bringing them to trade or I own their entire cultural output.

I dedicated a floor of the fortress to tiny temples (3 tiles apiece) in a lovely, efficient little layout. Every god worshipped by my fort's dwarves is represented.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51837 on: March 02, 2018, 09:06:58 pm »

The elves inexplicably declared war on my civilization in my fort's second year. Last spring, they sent an enormous siege--dozens of elves and over a hundred war animals, including a couple dozen war tigers. It was pretty easily put down between my cage traps and my militia, and I sent a squad to raid them in retaliation.

The humans then brought yet another caravan containing nothing but insultingly useless goods, including twenty or more copies of a single terribly-written book, the only book they have deigned to bring me, year after year, in this fort's history. This year, I'd had enough, so I sent a squad to raid their capital, and they brought back 10 much better books that the filthy humans refused to share. I'm going to raid their capital for good books annually until they start bringing them to trade or I own their entire cultural output.

I dedicated a floor of the fortress to tiny temples (3 tiles apiece) in a lovely, efficient little layout. Every god worshipped by my fort's dwarves is represented.

If you have breeding pair of the elven war animals, try to get babies that you can tame.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51838 on: March 03, 2018, 04:03:29 am »

:O i always use a 3x3 embark and dedicate a whole floor, sometimes even 2 for temples: one huge 48x48 in the center and the others around it.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51839 on: March 03, 2018, 06:33:25 am »

The humans then brought yet another caravan containing nothing but insultingly useless goods, including twenty or more copies of a single terribly-written book, the only book they have deigned to bring me, year after year, in this fort's history.
Reminds me of Age of Sail in our own history. All aboriginal people have gotten from a mighty Western Civilization were a multiple copies of Bible, mirrors and glass beads.
Pages: 1 ... 3454 3455 [3456] 3457 3458 ... 3835