Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3455 3456 [3457] 3458 3459 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787179 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51840 on: March 03, 2018, 11:16:47 am »

And guns, lots and lots of guns....

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #51841 on: March 03, 2018, 05:56:37 pm »

I have no idea why, but my current fort is a total lagfest.

I've been trying to eliminate the masses of dug out stone, but unfortunately necessary expansion projects keep the counts on the rise, no matter how many tables and chair and blocks I chisel. Beyond that, my stream is refusing to fill my moat with any kind of speed, so I've got a lot of running water which isn't helping anything; still, with under 80 dwarves I really shouldn't be lagging this much.

I've set up my first temples as well as a pipe system from the well chamber to pipe water into waterfalls for the temples, but with the lag problems I'm having and the fact that my stream is weaker than an elf's jack arm, I don't think I'm going to be bothering to fill them any time soon.

Fortunately, winter is coming. I've forgotten exactly how the mechanics work, but I recall that water freezes into ice and ice becomes 7/7 water, so hopefully that will help fill the moat before the goblins show up.

Honestly, without iron, I should probably restart, but I've now run 40 fortresses without any iron deposits in the location. In a row. I'd think the metal was removed from my game if the Goblins didn't arrive with iron armor.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51842 on: March 03, 2018, 06:08:13 pm »

I've been trying to eliminate the masses of dug out stone, but unfortunately necessary expansion projects keep the counts on the rise, no matter how many tables and chair and blocks I chisel. Beyond that, my stream is refusing to fill my moat with any kind of speed, so I've got a lot of running water which isn't helping anything; still, with under 80 dwarves I really shouldn't be lagging this much.

I've set up my first temples as well as a pipe system from the well chamber to pipe water into waterfalls for the temples, but with the lag problems I'm having and the fact that my stream is weaker than an elf's jack arm, I don't think I'm going to be bothering to fill them any time soon.

Fortunately, winter is coming. I've forgotten exactly how the mechanics work, but I recall that water freezes into ice and ice becomes 7/7 water, so hopefully that will help fill the moat before the goblins show up.

Honestly, without iron, I should probably restart, but I've now run 40 fortresses without any iron deposits in the location. In a row. I'd think the metal was removed from my game if the Goblins didn't arrive with iron armor.

Perhaps the magma sea is draining straight into hell? It's a common FPS killer, when the map generator fucks up and there's a hole between the two.
And if you've sent any military squads out to raids, make sure you don't have a soldier stuck in a tree. If a soldier is stuck in a tree when sent to raid, the pathfinding will go into overdrive and drop your FPS straight to 13.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51843 on: March 03, 2018, 07:22:16 pm »

Oh the combat reports are always such fun, especially when you haven't taken the time to read through them in a while.
'I was injured. It's annoying. Crushes dark elf's nose with warhammer.'

Dark elf retaliated by slashing the dwarf in the eyelid. With enough force to twist the head and tear apart the skin. Now let's think about that...

All great stuff.  :)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51844 on: March 04, 2018, 06:39:29 am »

Perhaps the magma sea is draining straight into hell? It's a common FPS killer, when the map generator fucks up and there's a hole between the two.
And if you've sent any military squads out to raids, make sure you don't have a soldier stuck in a tree. If a soldier is stuck in a tree when sent to raid, the pathfinding will go into overdrive and drop your FPS straight to 13.
so that could have been a reason why it sometimes just dropped. does this also apply to other creatures being stuck anywhere?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51845 on: March 04, 2018, 09:44:01 am »

I started a above-ground settlement in the middle of a large island.  Lots of trees but there is aquifer but the settlement is in a temperate zone so I have started to large hole(quarry) so when winter comes I can dig deeper, pulling up wooden walls about the stairway.

The settlement has some farming underground plus the warehouses, catacombs, and the lone temple.  Everything is on the surface or in a slowly growing tower.  I also walled off a part, making a large courtyard.  There is a ditch around some of it - which has partly filled up with water.  Already have two dorms, a tavern, one office, working on a well, a pig pastures, two turkey pastures, a barracks, a hospital and library.  Started a clay industry also.

I missed the first caravan as my Trade Depot was not made yet and only had two small migrant waves.  I think I may end up getting my own stone before the next caravan shows up.  And if it does I will likely only trade for items I REALLY can't make myself.  Like more animals or certain foods. 

I brought some stone and copper and display cases and anvils with me, including a ton of seeds and weapons and such, so I already had a lot of items with me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The history started in year ONE and the world gen was a pre-made one I copied to make hundreds of islands.  I picked one that was a tad large, in a comfortable climate zone, and far away from anybody else.  Kind of surprised any caravan showed up at all.

Lots of small ponds for fish, boars and deer, and fruit trees!  Once I get access to stone and gems and ores my Dwarves will be truly happy.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51846 on: March 04, 2018, 09:45:01 am »

Sorry, somehow quoted myself... :(
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 01:26:16 pm by callisto8413 »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51847 on: March 04, 2018, 12:59:30 pm »

...so that could have been a reason why it sometimes just dropped. does this also apply to other creatures being stuck anywhere?
Not most creatures. A sheep stuck in a tree will not cause it, but you know how a dwarf finishes a job then has a "?" over him, then starts a new job? If you see a unit repeating that "?", then it is repeating the pathing attempt. One of your fort's animals can get stuck outside a pet-locked door and it will have a repeating "?", and that will hammer FPS. I haven't seen the "military dwarf in tree that is trying to catch up with raiding units that already left the map", but it probably does the same thing.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51848 on: March 04, 2018, 01:30:58 pm »

My settlers are weirdos.  I asked them to put a clay statue in front of the tavern and I let them pick the details and which one to put in front of it.  Normal they pick very interesting statues.  But this time...

I think he got trapped in a tree.  Only had two deaths so far.  I am not sure if it is a warning about what happens to those who become sober or whatever...

pasanax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51849 on: March 05, 2018, 07:29:22 am »

A demi-god goblin that seems to have developed immunity to bolt fire.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51850 on: March 08, 2018, 07:02:47 am »

Loyalty cascade!
Amongst the goblin invaders. Ha.

If I had to guess I'd say two mobs invaded at once. Seen it happen with two different civs. But perhaps not. Maybe they just started arguing the moment they stepped onto the map. Have made a backup of the save and will now see if the slaughter spreads to my fortress.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #51851 on: March 09, 2018, 01:52:38 am »

Hush little kobolds, everything is going to be juuust fine.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51852 on: March 09, 2018, 02:22:53 pm »

Hush little kobolds, everything is going to be juuust fine.

If you talk, the sneks will get you, is what I mean. Have fun!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51853 on: March 09, 2018, 11:43:48 pm »

The time has come for my animal-person tribes to fulfill their destiny as cheap sources of meat. New fortress, nearby lion-man tribe, 4 raiders and a couple of miners to keep the place going. Summer is here, home is a hole in the ground and the first raid is off. Stoke up the fires boys, we dine on giant tiger tonight!

--
And they're back. Nice and quick. One copper bow, one giant cheetah and a giant lion. Awesome!
Hmm...and they were spotted on the way out. This might not turn out as well as we thought.  :)

--
Trained the giant cheetah for war, assigned it to the militia commander, and it suddenly decided to eat the chief medical dwarf. Militia quickly battered it to death. Lesson learned, eat giant monsters before they eat you.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 12:23:22 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51854 on: March 10, 2018, 02:17:10 pm »

Pillaged a human hamlet.

Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.
Pages: 1 ... 3455 3456 [3457] 3458 3459 ... 3835