Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3457 3458 [3459] 3460 3461 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787326 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51870 on: March 16, 2018, 10:25:03 am »

Because there are no little girls on the Internet and there is no FBI in dwarf fortress
Flatulent Bearded Individuals abound in DF.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51871 on: March 16, 2018, 10:29:58 am »

Just got an elf ambush in the same time goblins were sieging me. Luckily they were at war with other too, as all my squads were off-site.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51872 on: March 16, 2018, 03:28:36 pm »

Mostly be rushing at the learning curve again. Always something new when I come back.

I've dealt with GCSes eating everyone near the chasms, everything/one I embarked with burning due to volcano imps, traps destroying every caravan, learning how newfangled hospitals worked, a plague of giant "trees" (real trees are 1 tile, and don't lay eggs) causing dwarves to climb the the top and starve to death, wereanimals destroying everyone, and now these visitors.

They were all some sort of fighter, a few legendary, so I assumed they'd help with defense. What they actually did was drink my booze and increase the population over 50 within the first year (way before my military got started), which got me raided by a necromancer with like 6-8 zombies. They *did* get my population back down, but also my entire remaining population seemed to be the zombies that attacked. I assume the correct solution is "be picky about why you accept" or "maybe don't have 5x as many visitors as population, if you keep hitting population benchmarks for invasions before you're ready" or other undwarfy sanity; but I'm pretty sure I just need to embark with the makings for a magma pumpstack, 5 miners, and plenty of booze (also, some for the dwarves). Or some sort of hydraulic visitor-cannon.

Not enough random cave-ins or tantrums, though.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51873 on: March 16, 2018, 08:08:45 pm »

Making a giant cat temple. It has lots of cat statues and engravings and has like 50 cats pastured there. A cat got injured while digging.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:12:59 pm by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51874 on: March 17, 2018, 12:43:27 am »

Fisherdwarf went berserk due to a mood. Luckily, my militia took her out easily. She leaves behind an infant son, who she left a cripple in her short rampage.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Armok bless the little bugger.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51875 on: March 17, 2018, 03:18:38 am »

Mostly be rushing at the learning curve again. Always something new when I come back.

I've dealt with GCSes eating everyone near the chasms, everything/one I embarked with burning due to volcano imps, traps destroying every caravan, learning how newfangled hospitals worked, a plague of giant "trees" (real trees are 1 tile, and don't lay eggs) causing dwarves to climb the the top and starve to death, wereanimals destroying everyone, and now these visitors.

They were all some sort of fighter, a few legendary, so I assumed they'd help with defense. What they actually did was drink my booze and increase the population over 50 within the first year (way before my military got started), which got me raided by a necromancer with like 6-8 zombies. They *did* get my population back down, but also my entire remaining population seemed to be the zombies that attacked. I assume the correct solution is "be picky about why you accept" or "maybe don't have 5x as many visitors as population, if you keep hitting population benchmarks for invasions before you're ready" or other undwarfy sanity; but I'm pretty sure I just need to embark with the makings for a magma pumpstack, 5 miners, and plenty of booze (also, some for the dwarves). Or some sort of hydraulic visitor-cannon.

Not enough random cave-ins or tantrums, though.
All trees are multi-tiled now, and some drop fruits/leaves; the "eggs" you saw weren't actual eggs, I think, but rather the fruit of feather trees.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51876 on: March 17, 2018, 05:31:32 am »

The dorf that brought back an artifact mug is now carrying it around. I guess it's his reward for rescuing 2 other dorfs.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51877 on: March 17, 2018, 06:24:57 am »

I believe that necromancers don't care about your population and wealth at all and attack whenever they feel like it, possibly even during the fort's first year.

FengL0ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51878 on: March 17, 2018, 08:46:00 am »

Rith Nazommuthkat, king is watching biting demonstration.

Also I opened a tavern, which I fear will have been a bad decision:
Meng Likotor, militia captain cancels kill forgotten beast: Attending party at limestone table

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51879 on: March 17, 2018, 08:57:19 am »

Found cavern Layer 3 a little below Layer 2. It took me a while to breach it due to being busy with other projects.

There's a Magma pool and I have now discovered the Great Magma Sea. Clearly; I must make this pool in the 3rd Layer safe for use for furnaces.

My Labyrinth is still populated by 2 Goblins and an Ettin. Sadly nothing has come along to allow me to release a small horde of animals to hunt the prisoners. I'm hoping either my pair of Giant Cougars mate; or I get some Cave Crocs and weaponize a Crocsplosion.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51880 on: March 17, 2018, 12:59:56 pm »

Without my noticing, apparently my textiles dwarf (who's skills were purchased on embark) wandered too far into the cavern layer and got himself killed. Also, my Doctor and Expedition leader seem to think it's a good idea to eat and rest  next to the cave crocodiles.

I've tried canceling the "collect Cave Spider web" job, but that hasn't seemed to fix things. I have absolutely zero idea why my other valuable dwarves are going into the caves.

Also, I've just taken a look, and apparently my fishery worker got into a fight with a cave crocodile. He's currently bleeding out on the floor of the cave with motor nerve damage, paralyzed from the waist down.

What the heck's going on? I opened up the cavern (with a door and cage trap for security) so that the Monster Hunters who kept showing up at my fort would be able to have fun marauding around and keeping the monster population stable.

The fort's barely over a year old. I don't have the population for disposable dwarves yet.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #51881 on: March 17, 2018, 04:04:42 pm »

"o - W - w" to disable auto web collection (it's on by default and spams new jobs as long as there are webs and a loom), then press "j" to open the active jobs screen and look for anything related to collecting web and (s)uspend it to stop any ongoing job. You can also use a civilian alert/barrow to stop the ongoing jobs.

"o-r-r" to stop gathering all refuse, which is the most likely reason your dwarves venture into the caverns.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51882 on: March 17, 2018, 04:09:42 pm »

Okay, so my military campaign against the nearby goblin civ was going pretty well, until I got too cocky and decided that attacking a dark fortress with a reported population of "~10" was going to be a breeze.

Well, one of the parts of the report was that a squad "clashed with seventy six trolls" in the dark fortress.

Today I learned: Trolls do NOT count towards the reported population.

Funny thing is, after several dwarves got killed, 2 escaped (and returned), and the rest got imprisoned, the population increased to "~30".
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51883 on: March 17, 2018, 04:35:50 pm »

Okay, so my military campaign against the nearby goblin civ was going pretty well, until I got too cocky and decided that attacking a dark fortress with a reported population of "~10" was going to be a breeze.

Well, one of the parts of the report was that a squad "clashed with seventy six trolls" in the dark fortress.

Today I learned: Trolls do NOT count towards the reported population.

Funny thing is, after several dwarves got killed, 2 escaped (and returned), and the rest got imprisoned, the population increased to "~30".

The population is the number of historical figures at the site, but a recent update allowed non-histfigs to fight as well. The population counter increased because the trolls that killed somebody became historical figures.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51884 on: March 17, 2018, 04:40:29 pm »

I have made a bunker in the 3rd Cavern over the Magma Pool. I now have Magma Power!

The bunker finished just in time too; as a Forgotten Beast with Poisonous Vapors made of Cryolite appeared.

I don#t know how tough Cryolite is; but it's a Stone Beast with Poison. I'd rather not fight it. Especially with Syndrome risk.

Edit: Another Siege... with a... Beak Dog Recruit?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:52:19 pm by Raikaria »
Pages: 1 ... 3457 3458 [3459] 3460 3461 ... 3835