Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3470 3471 [3472] 3473 3474 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788164 times)

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52065 on: April 19, 2018, 02:08:49 am »

My former queen turned out to be a necromancer and fled the court with her lover and her general 80 years ago. The civilization was only ±100 people strong, in only one city. My roleplay goal was to find and kill the traitor queen, so I started a fortress near two necromancer towers.

Long story short: 10 years later, the two towers are in ruins and the necromancers are dead, the reports full of heroic demises, tactical incompetence and war rhinoceros saving the day with stomping charges through the ranks of the dead.

The traitor queen, her general and her lover are dead, ironically, at the hands of a humal lord consort, who asked residence and showed some martial prowess. The statues celebrating his deed describe him in the moment of stabbing a necromancer in the eye.

The squads brought back a lot of books about astronomy, what looks like the necromancers personal love diaries and letters about false friendship and unrequited love.

Now the goblin siegers, my main source of iron, are ramping up their war effort, and I doubt I can hold the fortress for much longer.

I can't believe how much drama and interest the lates updates added. Maybe I should start playing adventurer and visit  the site of the battles with the necromancers.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52066 on: April 19, 2018, 03:11:51 pm »

New embark, building a great library. Already have buttloads of books both purchased from the caravan and written by visitors thanks to embarking with/buying a load of parchment/sheets. I found the aquifer, like 30 z-levels up a mountainside, and accidentally made a new river with it. I have almost no flat ground to work with here, basically just the top of the plateau, and one mountainside I shaved down to create a small flat area. The library has sunlight now, thankfully, and since the dwarves love spending so much time there that should help prevent cave adaptation. I'm just going to fill this cliff face with holes and pretend its defensible, I think. It's really going to be a nightmare to defend.

Havent been attacked by werebeasts yet, which is a refreshing change of pace.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52067 on: April 19, 2018, 03:21:41 pm »

The whole “pen vs. sword” debate is really a commentary of ranges. If two people were locked in a broom closet, or a smaller space, the pan is clearly the superior weapon, as the sword cannot be used properly. At ranges larger than a broom closet, but smaller than city, the sword becomes the optimal weapon, as the pen takes time to be effective. At any scale larger than that, the pen once again becomes mightier.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #52068 on: April 19, 2018, 05:45:31 pm »

What happens if you send a squad out, and before they come back, the fort ends from invasion, or something? What happens to the squad members?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52069 on: April 19, 2018, 05:51:56 pm »

What happens if you send a squad out, and before they come back, the fort ends from invasion, or something? What happens to the squad members?
They scatter like other survivors theoretically. It's in a pre-release FOTF somewhere. Needs Science.

Incidentally, the fortress won't end until everyone's dead, so off-site squad members keep you going. You need to retire (at which point you get the 'your strength has been broken' message).

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52070 on: April 19, 2018, 09:43:46 pm »

I may have burnt a beautiful rainforest to ash, killing many amazing creatures, and erasing countless medicinal cures, while making the area a wasted hellscape from which there is no escape, but at least those FUCKING GIANT KEA ARE ALL DEAD!

Total bodycount, 9 confirmed missing or dead, including a miner and a jeweler, several visiting monster slayers dead (but who cares, I had more of them than I had residents), many pets dead, and over 300 collapses on the surface as hundreds of multi-level trees burned to ash and cinder.

EDIT: While chopping down the dead trees, a log fell on my woodchopper's throat, killing him instantly. So 10 dead.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:08:07 am by Eldes »

Zydramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52071 on: April 20, 2018, 04:51:57 am »

I just had something interesting pop up in my fort. One of my migrants is titled "peddler."  I've never seen that before.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52072 on: April 20, 2018, 05:52:29 am »

I just had something interesting pop up in my fort. One of my migrants is titled "peddler."  I've never seen that before.
Ex-spies of your civ are retaining their fake names and identities when they migrate to your fortress. You can see it in Legends. Every so often one will turn up with a visitor profession. It's a bug. Try not to kill him, he's not actually spying on you. And he's probably not a vampire either.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10490
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:01:51 am by Shonai_Dweller »

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52073 on: April 20, 2018, 06:48:15 am »

They scatter like other survivors theoretically. It's in a pre-release FOTF somewhere. Needs Science.

Incidentally, the fortress won't end until everyone's dead, so off-site squad members keep you going. You need to retire (at which point you get the 'your strength has been broken' message).

Some bugged squad member never returns, so your fort will never break? Ghost fortress is possible!
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52074 on: April 20, 2018, 07:50:05 am »

And with noone left to engrave slabs or perform burials, actual ghost fortress is possible! ;D

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52075 on: April 20, 2018, 09:46:28 am »

Until next migration wave.

I'd be interested in it being a way to save a fortress. As everyone is being slaughtered for some reason or another, send a single peasant on a journey to the end of the world and wait for a migration wave. And hope whatever killed your last batch is gone/contained by then.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

trib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52076 on: April 20, 2018, 12:01:23 pm »

Wanted to show off my almost complete "above ground" fortress inside a mountain, been playing this for about a month.

The area is 7z levels tall with 12 3x3 pillars going all the way up with a waterfall and river. 3 pillars are used for bedroom spires in the lower right corner.

Ground floor, starting from the top left you can see the power system, tavern, vampire pen, mayor's office, military barracks in the middle, jail below it, hospital below the tavern and on the other side of the river the mushroom forest with gold statues which servers as a temple, manager's home and trade depot. Crafting areas in the right corners, stockpiles below. Alternative exit at the bottom.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2nd floor. Tavern rooms & first level of library & museum. Library has at the moment 422 books with many, many artifact books. Above the military barracks is the captain of the guard's room, 2nd floors of baron housing, jail access that goes through the training room and the still unoccupied royal chambers. You can also see the first of the bedrooms, there are 74 total, probably going to build 1 more spire of them.

2nd floor of the library, tavern keeper's bedroom, more baron and royal chambers.

Royal chambers still not completely finished, all furniture is gold, first floor walls are gold and the rest orthoclase.

All tombs are without roofs so that the dwarves can be in connection with the montain in death.

Here you can see my other decommissioned waterfall because of the FPS drop. It came down on the tavern entrance and continued through grates. The functional waterfall dumps the water around 3/4 of the pillar, creating a huge amount of mist. This water then continues on through the river all the way back down 22z levels to the bottom of the mountain and back into the river and the water intake. 27 levels of pump stacks move the water.

Last floor. Sometimes wild animals will wander inside the cavern which is pretty cool especially if they're birds.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #52077 on: April 20, 2018, 12:40:42 pm »

Does anyone know if the following bugs are on the bug tracker? I have no idea how to use it.
  • If you lose dogs or dwarves when raiding, and reclaim the fort after that, the dwarves and dogs will reappear ghostlike with corpses somewhere on the map, but they will not be called ghosts, not be appeasable by burial or slabs, the dwarves will be attackable, and the dogs can be 'killed' by cave collapse.
  • If a tower(possibly other places)imprisons your raiders, including dogs, they might send them in a siege, in which they will be hostile, and then they will be hostile to you if you ever rescue them, but will still be listed amongst citizens/pets.
  • If you attack a place, in legends, it might say "The  of The Crazy Attack", instead of saying battle, siege or anything. Not sure if this just for specific types amongst raiding/pillaging/razing, or all of them.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52078 on: April 20, 2018, 01:00:44 pm »

Nice mountain fort trib. Wish I could find a nice steep mountain like that to build in.

Those are certainly interesting bugs pikachu. I don't really know how to use the bug tracker either but they certainly sound like the sort of bugs most people would't have discovered easily.

I just thought I'd post about quite an interesting story from my fort I only found out was interesting after checking dwarf descriptions and reports after the fact.

So,

I met my first were creature, a were gila monster, one of a new wave of migrants actually transformed on his way to my meeting hall. I only realised what was going on after a child and another dwarf got attacked by him. Wasn't certain how were curses worked so after a brief trip to the hospital, and trouble getting the child to stop playing, I got them both walled off in a secure pit.

When the next full moon came they both turned and the child actually killed the adult dwarf. I didn't think much about this and also forgot about burying the adult's remains. I only noticed this when I realised the child had a bad thought from watching a relative decay. So I checked, turns out it was his mother, that he had killed in a were-induced frenzy. I also thought I recognised the name of his father, I checked on the corpse of the first were beast (which I had also not thought to bury), turns out that was his father.

So father attacks mother and child, infects them, get's killed. Mother and child turn, child kills mother and is left to watch her corpse decay in front of him and now has to be segregated from the rest of the fort for his childhood onwards.

This has to be one of the most tragic orphan stories ever. I certainly don't have the heart to kill him now, but he seems bizarrely happy just playing make beleive in a small dirt pit between montly transformations. I will definitely be setting up some caged goblins to be released each full moon to keep him entertained.

Were monsters need enrichment, I am a responsibly crypto-zoologist. :D

I'm sure he isn't really fine just playing make believe month on month, it must be some kind of post-stress coping mechanism. I feel kind of bad that he is stuck in a pit with a viewing gallery for the other dwarves to mawkishly gape at him.

Anyone want to give me any other ideas on how I can at least make this poor orphan's life of isolation somewhat fulfilling? I must admit he is turning out to be a surprisinly handy 'full moon clock'.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 01:03:15 pm by Llamageddon »

trib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52079 on: April 20, 2018, 01:44:47 pm »

Nice mountain fort trib. Wish I could find a nice steep mountain like that to build in.

Thanks, it's actually a volcano. I've found that they tend to be steeper than normal, probably because the caldera rises so high.
Edit: It's actually a double volcano almost, there is another caldera at just the first cavern layer right below the other one. There are 2 peaks with the one over the cavern caldera being the smaller peak, the fortress is on top of that.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 01:51:41 pm by trib »
Pages: 1 ... 3470 3471 [3472] 3473 3474 ... 3835